Northern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop IPA | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Northern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop IPANorthern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American IPA

Availability: Fall

Formerly Northern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop Ale

Added by jmatthew on 10-15-2001

Ratings: 3,636 |  Reviews: 1,517
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

(24oz, Long Beach) bottled on 9/22/15, tasting on 12/10/15, a bit complicated but fairly balanced nevertheless. A very sturdy beer if you will. Hard to classify this one in any style, 3,5

(1-29-17, 24oz, Long Beach) bottle on 9/28/16, slightly medicinal sour apple "phenolic", slightly sour finish, flavor profile not what I'd identify with this style, drinkable but this one is a head-scratcher, 2.5

2.52/5  rDev -39.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

I hope this was a bad bottle....9/22 bottle date...three swallows and poured it out. Metallic and slightly soapy.

2.68/5  rDev -35.6%

Reviewed 10/23/2007 (bottle):

Pours an amber brown color, big yellow-white head, foamy. Consistent color in the body. Hoppy aroma, acidic, some grapefruit, but mostly acidic, piney. Piney, somewhat hoppy taste. A little bitter aftertaste, but mostly balanced. Not too bad, IPAish, but balanced.

2.68/5  rDev -35.6%

$5.99 for a 24oz bottle @ Jacks. 6.7% ABV. Pours out to a sparkingly clear deep ruby, forming a poofy light tan head with very good retention and adequate lacing. Carbonation is mild to moderate. The aroma isn't your typical hop-bomb along the likes of Lagunitas or Stone...it opens with caramel, malts, floral, piney and resinous hops, but without the big tropical fruits one might find in an IPA. When swirled, there is a nice sour milk and toast thing going on. The mouthfeel is stinging with hop pungency and moderate bitterness. Medium bodied. Some higher alcohols are present with touches of damp cardboard...something that I frequently find in Sierra Nevada products. I think it has to do with the yeast strain they use. The finish is fleeting of taste and the harsh aftertaste is robust with bitterness.

Not really something I care for. Not balanced at all. It's pretty harsh in it's bitterness and metallic sting. I'm gonna have a hard time finishing this bottle.

2.7/5  rDev -35.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

It's alright. Subtle notes of different things but not the body I was hoping for

2.74/5  rDev -34.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

24fl oz bottle poured into my tulip(had no pint glass)

Pours a dirty looking copper mixed with some orange and light brown color(interesting).Dense frothy two and a half inch white head. Great head retention that when subsides leaves rings of lacing sticking to the sides of my glass.

Smell consist of some citrus fruit with tangerine coming out most, some lemon and slight grapefruit. Pine hops are also noticeable and a fresh perfume like scent(my guess is the wet hops).

Slightly sweet upfront but no noticeable citrus flavors show up except a medium pine hop bitterness that last throughout the taste. Caramel malts come through during the end.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied(although lacking hop flavor)with very high carbonation.

Well the bottle says 2009, but I do not know exactly how old the bottle is. If you buy it now though, it's going to lack the hop flavors I'm sure were there if it were fresh. High price plus lack of flavor equals disappointment for me.

2.76/5  rDev -33.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I love fresh hop beers. Excited to try one of the early ones. Tasted 12 October 2012, reviewed from notes.

Pours a medium light-brown amber. Nice cream-colored, slightly orange head. Good retention, really good lacing.

Smell is faint and lightly floral. Mostly hoppy but twingy hoppy. A little bit of citrus and a little pine.

Taste is under-malted and super bitter. Chalky bitter, oniony, really unpleasant. A little caramel malt, but not enough. Something about it really doesn't agree with me. Chalky, dry, and bitter. A perfect example of how I don't like IPAs to be.

Medium-bodied, good carbonation. Lasting... but I wish it weren't.

I really don't like this beer all that much. I find it to be unbalanced, overly bitter, and without a whole lot of depth of flavor. Don't plan on drinking it again. Chalky and dry. Blech.

2.76/5  rDev -33.7%

Had on 9/5/09, I suspect this beer has not improved with a year on it. Poured into 10oz glass. Poured a clean, clear copper color, typical of IPAs. About 3/4 inch of fluffy , just off-white head had very good retention and decant lacing.

A subdued hop aroma greets the nose, not much malt apparent. A solid hop flavor is backed by, for this brewery, a solid malt foundation. I suspect that the hops have faded with age.
The body and drinkability are typical for the style. It is unfair that I'm reviewing this beer when it's a year old, this beer was almost certainly much better when fresh. I'm on record as thinking that SN is guilty of making a series of similar IPAs. This one seems like it may have been better than the usual SN IPA. I hope that I can try this years version and give this brew a higher score.

2.93/5  rDev -29.6%

Ok, I'm the odd man out on this brew.
Pours a medium golden yellow/orange with a nice two finger head that melts to very sticky lacing.

Aromas are full of hops...lots of both citrus peel and pine oil fresh hops. A little of the sweet amber malt comes through but gets beaten down by the hop aromas.

Taste comes across as very unbalanced to me. Too much fresh hop for my palette. I lose all of the malt presence and my palette is merely assaulted by the fresh citrus peel hop. The hops aren't so much intense as in overly high IBUs as they are just "in your face".
Some people have compared this one to SN's Celebration Ale and I just can't see it. I love Celebration and could (occassionally do) drink it all night. I've yet to finish a bottle of Harvest Ale by contrast.

Mouthfeel is good and comfortable for the style and the aftertaste is no where near as offensive as the actual fresh taste, but still I am left with little more than 'just hops'.

2.94/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

Counterpart - Southern Hemisphere Harvest Fresh Hops - is so much better.

Northern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.