Northern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop IPA | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Northern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop IPANorthern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American IPA

Availability: Fall

Formerly Northern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop Ale

Added by jmatthew on 10-15-2001

Reviews: 1,517 | Ratings: 3,635
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours a light orange with three fingers of head that leaves beautiful lacing. Clarity leaves a bit wanting or it would be perfect.
Delicious caramel in the nose, complimented by resiny hops. the hops dominate the finish with a delicious grapefruit and pine balance. The flavour continues the same, with caramel and light malt as well as some biscuity tones, but the hops... oh, the hops. Wonderful. The hops are almost spicy, complimented by the carbonation.
The mouthfeel is excellent too, with good carbonation, a bit of creamy medium-full body, and a smoothness combined with the high carbonation and bitterness that leaves the palette feeling attacked... in a good way.
One of the best "pale ales" I've had, though it may in fact fit in the IPA category better. Certainly highly recommended.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours a clear golden amber color with visible effervescence and a mammoth stiff eggshell colored head that fades in a rocky pattern, leaving 3D lacing in is wake...wow! this is a Pale Ale(!?!). The smell is an aggressive classic bountiful fresh hopped aroma. Definitely a CELEBRATION of #8000 LBs of hops. (Wonder what holds in store for next year...with the current state of the hop harvest). Savior it while you've got it gang. Nicely carbonated, the mouth feel is really nice. Smooth yet complex. Hoppy yet wonderfully balanced with a solid malty sweetness. A little roasted malt character as well. Full flavored, each mouthful through the textbook head is creamy citrus pine and grapefruit. Once again...this is an APA?! Rivals many IPAs. At 6.2% ABV you'd think that you could enjoy this one all day long...but not...if this is 6%, i'm a slim man! Hey, this is kick'n. Highly recommended. Now lets talk about the bottle...are you kidding me 24oz's. This packaging definitely sets the standard. The height of this bottle is so much easier to store (and send) than the current 22oz Industry Standard. Tastes like "i want more". Thank God for Gomers in KC, MO!

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

I received this beer from the new 24oz bottled and poured it into my new Sam Adams Glass.

This beer pours a clear golden amber with a frothy just off white head that holds nicely and laces well. The smell is full of fresh cascade and centennial hops with a touch of malty sweetness. The taste also bursts forth with the hop flavor and finishes with a slight malty sweet and toastiness. The mouthfeel is very nice for the style with even carbonation. Overall, very nice beer, one of the best sierra nevada has. very drinkable.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours a clear bright copper-amber color with a thick white head that leaves heavy rings of lace on the sides of the glass as you drink. Nose is floral and grassy hops with notes of fresh pine. Fresh hops dominate the taste throughout with piney and citrusy notes but there is also a nice caramel malt backbone that holds everything together. I could sit and drink this all night.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

A nice cross between Pale and Celebration. Sweet with a spicy bite near the end, paired nicely with the Eggplant Rollitini I was having. Don't ever see this in bottles so I was thrilled to be able to have this one. Another fine brew from Sierra Nevada.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

A: Huge 3" rocky head. Great retention leaving chunks of lacing. Clear reddish amber body.

S: The aroma was so strong I didn't have to lean in to get a whiff. Smelled of fresh grapefruit & floral hops with just a touch of caramel malt in the background.

T: The caramel malt backbone barely holds up under the onslaught of fresh grapefruit & orange. Seemed hoppy enough to be an IPA, but still well balanced. Very well done.

M: Medium body with light carbonation. Smooth. Lingering grapefruit hop aftertaste complete with the hop burps.

D: The 24 ounce bottle disappeared as quickly as most 12 ouncers. Yet another great brew from Sierra Nevada - probably their best.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

2007 (11th edition) Poured from the 24 oz bottle... (a BONUS BOMBER... 2 extra ounces!) into a pint glass. Head was 1" off-white which produced lots of clumpy lacing in the glass! The beer is a perfect amber that is crystal clear.

The aroma is primarily a citrusy hops.

Taste: NICE! This is so good.... lot's of hops to satisfy. Well balanced with a slight malty background taste. Some grapefruit rind and some pine.

Mouthfeel: Here's where this one excels! Very creamy, full bodied and viscous.

Drinkability: HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Very solid hoppy goodness. Can drink a few of these.... I should go get more of this...

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Bronzed orange peel with honey colored trim. I'm surprised that the beer is perfectly clear. Where's the haziness from the hop particles? The impressively bubbly cap, equal parts pale sandstone and pastel orange, is laying down lace as only a resin-filled fresh hop ale can. Forget the clarity, this is great looking beer.

Although the nose is wonderful, I expected more in terms of pure pungency. With this many fresh Centennial and Cascade hop cones on the loose, the aroma should be jumping out of the glass with reckless abandon. Edit: warming turns up the volume and allows me to grant the above score. The caramel malt is evident, as is the grapefruitiness of the C-hops.

I wish Sierra Nevada (and all brewers for that matter) could figure out a way to get 'fresh hop' flavor to last longer than a few months. Actually, a few months is probably pushing it. This bottle is an estimated six weeks of age and I'm sure it's lost a little in that time. It's still beautifully hoppy, although it's nowhere near scathingly hoppy. Assuming it ever was.

I like the specific recipe that Harvest Ale uses more than I like the recipes for Pale Ale and Anniversary Ale. It might be the freshness of the hops, but I have a feeling that it's the *Centennial* hops that make me love this APA as much as I do. The pale and caramel malt backbone is sturdy enough to stand up to the grapefruit and bitter orange pithiness and to give the beer some semblance of balance.

Things improve as each mouthful progresses because the malt sugars fade first, allowing the hops to slap the tongue around a little on the long, lingering finish. The mark of a great beer is that each mouthful is better than the one that came before. Harvest Ale is great beer. It's also compulsively drinkable beer, so I'm glad that it comes in a big, fat, 24-ounce bottle.

I'm not sure what else one could ask for in an APA mouthfeel. It didn't get my attention at first, but it definitely has it now. The beer is amazingly smooth and polished with a voluminous silkiness borne of a perfect amount of carbonation. Great job.

The single word that occurs to me when I think of Sierra Nevada is 'solid'. As it turns out, one of the original American craft breweries is also one of the best. Harvest Ale (11th Edition) is delicious beer that deserves to be released throughout the entire country, right alongside their standard lineup. Given its 'fresh hop' nature, I know that isn't possible, but it sure would make a lot of hopheads happy. This one included.

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a snifter

A- pours a hazy golden orange color... thick white head, quickly dissolves to a thin ring around the beer... decent lacing to the glass

S- hop resin, mango fruits, apricot, fruity esters galore... sweet lingering malt

T- apricot slurry twisted into mango, tropical fruits. Hoppy pine resin, caramel malt back bone

M- medium body, prickly carbonation... bubbly on the tongue. Sweet hoppy bitterness

O- this is a fine wet hop ale. Well balanced and just a wet, mouth watering ale. Glorious!

2007 - 11th edition

a - poured a three-fingers thick tan, chunky, fluffy and pillowy tan head into an oversized goblet. the head was long-lasting and left sticky sides and lace. the body was a bright amber color.
s - nice hop aroma but balanced all the same. grapefruit, pine, grass, wheat with an underlying caramel sweetness.
t - like chewing on pine cones and as it warms up the caramel really comes through.
m - slick and coating, chewy on the palate.
d - lip smacking good. i had a 24 oz bottle of this and could have gone back for more.

4.51/5  rDev +8.4%

2007 Harvest 11th Edition in a 24 oz bottle.

Appearance: pours a nice amber color with a 3"+ head that last a while before slowly falling to a thick surface foam. Thick lacing paints the glass.

Smell: big hop bitterness leaps out of the glass. Some caramels and fruity sweetness round it out.

Taste: the bold hop flavors are up front but not offensive. The oily bitterness is well balanced with the caramel sweetness. Pears and ripe green grapes provide some fruitiness and there is a definite dryness lingering around.

Mouthfeel: crisp and dry from start to finish. Medium bodied. Long aftertaste as the dryness and bitterness stick around for several minutes.

Drinkability: phenominal is all I can say. I think this is my favorite Sierra Nevada beer. Easy to drink, great tasting, and one everyone should get there hands on.

4.51/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured from a bottle into a nonic pint.

A – a hazy, deep, russet gold with a sand-colored two-finger head that lasted what seemed like an eternity. Epic lacing once the head dwindled, but at first the head held together too tightly to even leave any lacing at all. (A good thing)

S – Equal parts grassy west coast hops and doughy malt. Aroma nice and strong, but nothing to really knock the socks off.

T – Wow! Floral, resinous hop bite followed almost immediately by a huge blast of sweet, biscuit malt. Caramel flavor present in the malt as well. Some citrus/bitter fruit esters from the yeast. What’s amazing here is how well balanced everything is and how long that balance carries, which is all the way through the aftertaste. Finishes “wet”, with the slightest bit of alcohol heat coming through. Just stunning.

M – Full bodied to the point of bordering on “chewy”, with aggressive carbonation which accents the flavors perfectly. A slam dunk.

O – What a beer! Enough hops for hop heads, and enough malt and alcohol for lovers of “stronger” beers. Flavors, while not incredibly complex, are RICH. I might have a hard time enjoying boring one-note hop bombs with dry finishes after drinking this flavor and mouth feel giant. This is without a doubt my favorite IPA I have sampled. Will be a staple.

4.51/5  rDev +8.4%

Cool a giant version of the Sierra Nevada bottle, bigger than a bomber.

Pours a brass color with some protenaceeous material floating amongst the slow moving carbonation bubbles. The head is huge and rocky with a creamy, dense surface, very impressive. Retention is incredible and half the glass remains coated with lace. The aroma is light with mostly leafy, resinous, citrusy hops. The taste brings another dimension of sumptuous hop flavors. Pithy, piney, herbaceous hops abound and utterly pommel the dimunitive cookie dough malt flavors. Tea and herbs show as the beer warms. The mouthfeel is full for an APA, carbonation is low. The finish is packed with hop flavors and a sturdy long bitterness.

a great fresh hop ale. More than enough hop complexity to satisfy anyone.

4.51/5  rDev +8.4%

Had this in a growler from Fingerlakes Beverage in Ithaca. Crystal clear golden/Amber body with a really nice thick, caramel head. Great retention, nice lacing down the entire glass. The aroma is hoppy as would be expected. The floral aroma is intense and quite nice. The taste is very clean and crisp. It's dominated by the hops, but they aren't overpowering. The taste of the hops is complex, it's not just a "whack you over the head with all the hops we can" taste. The drinkability is outstanding. I had this throughout a day of football, and I wish I had another growler when my first one was gone.

4.52/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle into Ommegang tulip.

The lacing on this beer is fantastic! If Picasso worked in head foam, it would look like this. It has an excellent citrus and hop aroma almost as if you are at the farm itself. A light, semi-airy mouth feel makes this American IPA extraordinary. Sierra Nevada hit a homerun with this one and I would prefer this one over its Southern hemisphere counterpart. I will.definitely go buy 1or 2 more bottles before they are gone.

4.52/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

OK, I wanted to make sure I found the right beer here for my review. The bottle reads 12th Release HARVEST Wet Hop Ale. 24 Oz. bottle with maroon label.

WOW. Fresh as they were picked hops. Found this at my local shop in the beer cellar. First opened small smoke from the neck, GREAT huge head. Smelled EXCELLENT, lots of fruity spicy piney ness. Not sure how else to put it.

Taste was great as I tasted first hops, then hops again, then good malt, then back to the crisp hop. As I tasted for the fifth time, it was a different taste I got once again, not sure if it was from the aging but WOW big flavors, and HUGE profile here. From front to back this is one bad ass beer. I have tasted more complex and "chewy" IPA's but this one is what I crave.

Thanks Sierra Nevada, and thank you Payless Liquors in Geist for keeping this one in the cellar for me.

4.52/5  rDev +8.7%

Man, what great looking beer! Two fingers of rocky foam boulders. Dissipated a little quickly, but that's the only thing that kept the appearance from getting a 5. Tons of lacing were left behind. The ale is an opaque copper/orange that looks delicious.

I'm picking up some exceptional citrus aromas like oranges and tangerines, not the grapefruit and pine I was expecting. Perhaps a little sweeter than bitter. I don't think I've had the Yakima hops before. I really like the smell; I hope the flavor is half as good as the aroma. It's pretty close. The flavor is full of bitter hops but with this citrus sweetness that I'm lovin'. Perhaps a little caramel sweetness from the malts as well. Even though it features the fresh hops it's not out of balance at all. I can't imagine there's anything here a hop head wouldn't love. I don't think my description is capturing the wonderful essence that these fresh hops bring to this American IPA.

The mouth feel is medium with some fizzy, refreshing carbonation on my tongue. There's nothing about the beer that's tiring or cloying. Very reasonable ABV. On the surface it seems very drinkable, but I am going super slowly. I've been at it for at least 40 minutes and I'm not nearly halfway through my 24 oz. bottle. Tried to get my wife to share it with me but it was too bitter for her. I feel awkward rating its drinkability, but it is filling and satiating. It doesn't seem right to deduct points for qualities that make it so good.

4.52/5  rDev +8.7%

pours a burnt copper color with three fingers white head. after the head disapates there is a nice amount of lacing.the aroma has subtile earthy and citrus characteristics about it. the taste is crisp, the light grapefruit notes from the hops dance off the toung. not too bitter. nice hints of smoke, almond, spice and citrus that all ballance well together. the aftertast of the hops lingers by the end of a glass. this brew drinks real nice. the ABV is just right at 6.7%. i find this brew to be very refreshing.

4.52/5  rDev +8.7%

Wow! What a surprise. I never expected a Harvest Ale from Sierra Nevada to completely awe me. I was floored. This is *great* beer!

Appearance: Served a clear amber copper with a thick creamy off white head.

Smell: Explosive west coast cascade hops fill my nose. It is rolling around around in hop meadow with sunshine on your back and a cool breeze. What does that smell like... this. Just take a whiff for yourself. Citrus floral fresh hop bitterness.

Taste: Fresh green zesty hops with a malt to balance creates perfect harmony in the mouth. Spices and sweet caramel and wood with the citrus herbal hops. Terrific!

Mouthfeel: Bitter and dry, with and overall zesty lively feel, and a medium full body to back it all up.

Drinkability: This is a nice way to get a hop fix in the Fall. Very easy drinking if you like your hops.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

4.52/5  rDev +8.7%

2007 Edition, from the 24 oz. bottle.

Gloriously good. It reminds me of a fresh hop beer I had while at the Bridgeport Brewpub in Oregon.

The dominant thing here is not surprisingly hops, however, what makes this special is that the hops are more floral and aromatic than bitter. I can pick up bits of resiny pine and something sorta herbal... well the only thing I know to compare it to is, well, the smell of an herb related to hops which will go nameless.

As far as drinkability goes, I don't think I could have too many of these. I love this beer but I could have only so many before my tastebuds are blasted to smithereens. There's a lot going on here and it truly is that good.

4.52/5  rDev +8.7%

Poured into a pint glass. Slightly hazy amber/copper color, with a decent head, and mild lacing. The best way to describe the aroma is Cascade hops on acid; super floral and citrus notes, which only became more potent in the flavor. Nice citrus and woodiness in the flavor, with a characteristic Sierra dry finish. Medium-bodied and decently carbonated. Fantastic sensation, spells a great session ipa. I will definitely be on the lookout for more 'wet-hop' ipa's.

4.52/5  rDev +8.7%

This beer poured a nice amber/copper hue with a thick dense tan head that was a full three fingers worth. The head had good retention and left a decent amount of lacing on my imperial pint glass. This is one of the best smelling APA's I've ever smelled. Strong scents of grapefruit and pine with slight grassy overtones. The scent is very pleasant and never leaves throughout the entire beer. The taste is just like the nose.Good malty backbone that balances out the hops very well and doesn't let them overpower the beer. It is a well balanced beer that finished very smooth with very little bittering. The mouthfeel is very smooth and almost a little creamy. It coats the mouth very well and overall is very quaff able. Drinkability also holds very high for this beer. It's fresh, tasty, and it leaves you wanting another one. Well done.

4.52/5  rDev +8.7%

Deep translucent amber color. Smells sweet and chocolaty. Hop forward, but malts are present, especially in the beginning. Earthy hops, but delicate and sweet. Reminds me of a raspberry truffle. Medium body with medium carbonation. Sierra Nevada carbonation. Floral and a little oily; perfumy. Mild ashy burnt flavor in the finish with a touch of bitterness.

Overall: A very interesting and delicate flavor from this “wet hop” brew. Sweet raspberries to start, floral notes in the middle and ashy tones to finish, this beer has terrific complexity and a depth of balance that indicates deliberate, knowledgeable construction. The mouthfeel isn’t as profound as the flavors, but otherwise, this is a hell of a brew, and a treat for the pallet.

4.52/5  rDev +8.7%

24 ounce bottle poured into a sailor jerry pint glass.

A - reddish-orange hue, which upon pouring had a 1/2 head. As you sip, the head fades and leaves a nice lacing.

S - hoppy, but not the normal hop smell you'd get from a IPA or even a DIPA. Closer to a fresh cut grass smell

T - the hops don't hit right away, so I will say malt up front. The hops follow with a very unique hop variety. I am a hophead and even I haven't tasted this kind of hop before. Fresh, and green come to mind as I sip. Dry in the finish, and not thick like a DIPA. Very refreshing and unique

M - Very carbonated, at least in my glass. Very smooth and drinkable. Bitter, but the good kind of bitter that a hophead seeks

Drinkability - Very drinkable if you can find it. Wish they had this on tap, wish they could make a six pack. I would make this a regular, but it is hard to find. A great brew, definitely try it!

4.52/5  rDev +8.7%

Let me start by saying that this $45 case is one of the best "price-to-performance" ratios I've seen in a while... for all of you recently "affected" by our lovely economy.

Pours a clear, reddish brown color with a thick, foamy head and nice retention - but no visible carbonation.

Slightly smokey quality accompanies a sharp, piney aroma.

In addition to the notably fresh "wet" hop flavor, this is balanced nicely by a sweet, "12 grain" bready malt backbone.

So terribly smooth, and grabs the tongue just right.

Is it possible to be TOO drinkable (given that this is an alcoholic beverage)? If so, knocked it "down" to 4.5.

Buy it. Immediately.

Northern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.