Northern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop Ale | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Northern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop AleNorthern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Style: American IPA

Availability: Fall

Added by jmatthew on 10-15-2001

Reviews: 1,500 | Ratings: 3,554
4.52/5  rDev +8.4%

24 ounce bottle poured into a sailor jerry pint glass.

A - reddish-orange hue, which upon pouring had a 1/2 head. As you sip, the head fades and leaves a nice lacing.

S - hoppy, but not the normal hop smell you'd get from a IPA or even a DIPA. Closer to a fresh cut grass smell

T - the hops don't hit right away, so I will say malt up front. The hops follow with a very unique hop variety. I am a hophead and even I haven't tasted this kind of hop before. Fresh, and green come to mind as I sip. Dry in the finish, and not thick like a DIPA. Very refreshing and unique

M - Very carbonated, at least in my glass. Very smooth and drinkable. Bitter, but the good kind of bitter that a hophead seeks

Drinkability - Very drinkable if you can find it. Wish they had this on tap, wish they could make a six pack. I would make this a regular, but it is hard to find. A great brew, definitely try it!

Poured from a 24oz. bottle into 20oz. Guinness glass. Towering cream colored head leaves behind some quality lace. Superb bronze color with a transparent appearance, Towards the end of the glass I am able to spot a very tiny amount of sediment. Smell is mostly of fresh floral hops, Some pine, citrus fruits with a slight sour dough aroma. Taste is superb. Slightly numbing hop bitterness at first then some sweet malt finishing with a nice dry hoppy bitterness. Mouthfeel is also quite nice leaving a slightly creamy aftertaste with a dry finish. Drinkability seems quite good due to the good balance. Overall, This is a great beer which is widely available and well worth a try. Highly recommended!

3.25/5  rDev -22.1%

Just a quick review on this one.

Aside from the previously described notes about the cloudy, lacing, etc, my only note is this...

How does it get a 93?? This is a B, B- beer AT BEST. It's got so much potential, and comes off when you taste it like it just isn't there. It's not bad, there is some hop to it, and some pine notes. But overall, it's weak. Much weaker than I expected given the reviews.

4.15/5  rDev -0.5%

Appears just like a sierra nevada hoppy beer of any type as I recall, which is very good, maybe partly because the look reminds me of good Sierra Nevada experiences in the past.

Smells like hops cologne; very nice balance between spice and juicy fruit.

Tastes good, what can I say? The bitterness is appreciable to people who like bitter beers, but could overpower some people who just want hops for aroma.

Feels thick enough to take the punch from the hops, with sweetness helping somewhere.

Drinkability: I'm drinking it and enjoying it. Good.

4.27/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured from the 24oz bottle into a pint glass while watching the Pats try to grind out another victory against the Colts with an injury ridden squad.

A: Pours dark amber with a huge frothy tan head which slowly shrinks to about a centimeter and settles, leaving behind rings and splotches of lacing. Really nice looking brew

S: What a great smell... not incredibly strong, but really nice citrus and floral notes. This is very fruit driven, another poster mentioned fruit loops and the first thing I thought of was fruity pebbles.

T: Taste is very much in line with the smell. Not overly strong, lots of fruits mixed in with the bitterness from the hops. Getting a lot of Grapefruit and pine, some spices and earth/grass. Really well balanced, just enough sweetness in relation to the citric-driven hop characters.

M: thickly coats the mouth, with a good crisp finish. Tingles the taste buds and very easy to drink.

I really enjoyed this beer, the malt and hops are really dancing in unison. Drank it slow and enjoyed every second of it. Great job by Ken, I will certainly be picking up some more of these.

4.08/5  rDev -2.2%

1 Pint 8 oz 11th ed. bottle into Trappistes Rochefort chalice

A - This brew pours nice and dark amber, orange-brown, murky, with a beautiful finger head that sits and then dissipates into a nice frothy film, excellent lacing; tasty looking brew

S - Fruity, hops and more hops, slight caramel notes

T-M - Orange citrus tones into a hops explosion, elegant bitterness, slight chocolate/caramel taste on the finish. Good carbonation.

D - Has a nice balance: heavily hopped, obviously, but not over-powering.

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

Fresh from the tap at Sierra's tap room. Pours really nice esp. in sierras IPA glass. This a very well rounded beer that many people with different tastes can enjoy.

4.65/5  rDev +11.5%

Pours brilliant clarity amber color with white lacey head. Aroma is balanced toward the hoppy side with citrus, pineapple aromas and sweet caramel malts. Flavor is also balanced toward the hoppy side but with significant malt presence. Hops are very american: citrusy maybe a little resiny hop flavor balanced with sweet malt and moderate bitterness. Mouthfeel is full-bodied with moderate carbonation. Very drinkable delicious american ale. Unique style fresh hop flavor is awesome.

4.58/5  rDev +9.8%

A: Pours a beautiful amber with a golden half-inch of head. Head lingers and some really appetizing lacing is left all over the glass.
S: Fresh hops baby! It is piney and a bit fruits as west-coast hopped brews are
T: A nice balance with roasted malts and a pleasant hop bite at the end
M: Super smooth, super crisp. I could drink a few 24oz bottles of this...
O: Beautiful work by Sierra Nevada. I think this is a bit better than the Southern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop Ale from New Zealand, as it is a bit more balanced and extra drinkable. Looking forward to getting some Celebration soon to kick off the holiday season right!

4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

Pours deep red with a creamy off-white head. Immediately as it’s poured, hops aroma hits me. Spicy, floral/piney, and especially hoppy aroma is refreshing... Maybe hints of apple. Spicy flavor fills mouth with bitter hops and notes of pine. Nice bitter finish lingers. Alcohol is subdued but noticable. Malt characteristics barely noticable but present. Finishes very bitter. Extensive lacing through whole beer as head diminishes slowly. Very lightly carbonated. Excellent and refreshing beer. Light moutfeel but not watery.

4.4/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

On cask at Tornonado in San Francisco.

Poured with a nice creamy one-finger head. Lacing is thin but each notch is evident.

Smell of piney hops and bread.

Taste is similar and two-fold--first the malt then the hops...the latter of which linger for some time.

True to cask form, carbonation is rightly low and serving temp is spot on. (sidebar: my jury is still out on 'flatter' mouthfeel when it comes to IPAs--it totally fits english style ales but American hoppy beers... a tougher sell to my palate; prickly hops seem to dance differently (and better?) on my tongue when more highly carbed methinks)

All that said, this is a very well put together brew.

4.48/5  rDev +7.4%

Notes from 5/4/10 tasting; 22-oz bomber poured to German glass beer krug.

A--cloudy copper brown, hint of orange, big light foamy head, irregular shape, tremendous lacing

S-really fresh smell of pine and citrus hops and spices

T--taste very similar to smell, some caramel notes maybe and citrus bitterness

M--medium carbonation and body, a good mouthfeel

D--drinkable anytime, anywhere for a great price ($5)

4.9/5  rDev +17.5%

nice copper color with thick white head and very nice lacing. smells as if you stuck your nose in a bouquet of the freshest hops. this beer truly has a nose like no other. this beer is a hopheads dream. minimal malt detected but the hops arent over powering it just tastes reallly really fresh, juicy and floral. i could drink this one all damn day! i cant wait to try this side by side with a fresh celebration ale. i bought 3 cases of this and am down to 1. next year i will order 5 cases. YES THIS BEER IS THAT GREAT!!!

4.32/5  rDev +3.6%

A: pours a brilliant clear copper with ruby edges, with a foamy one fingered off white head that leave very healthy lacing.

S: huge fresh smelling hops: pine, spicy, citrus, heady nuggs, earthy, floral and grassy this beer has some exceptional complex hop aromas, with some bready malts in the background

T: extremely piney, citrus; bitter orange zest and juicy grapefruit with spicy earthy floral hops, there are lots of complex layers of hop flavor balanced with some sweet bready caramel malt sweetness, and a dry bitter finish

M: very crisp carbonation, medium body, very resinous and oily

D: The alcohol is well hidden behind the layers of complex hop bitterness and ballancing carmel sweetness, I drank 24oz of this in less than 15 minutes and still wanted more, however as it warms the alcohol becomes more noticable

I love this beer and at less than four bucks for a 24oz bomber the Sierra Nevada Harvest series are probably one of the best deals around

4.42/5  rDev +6%

Beautiful reddish tan color with an absolutely gorgeous frothy white head that stays around for an extended period of time.

Smell - Powerful citrusy hop aroma. Sweet fruit aromas, apricot, pear, and mango stick out. Not so much grapefruit. This is easily the most aromatically pleasing IPA I have ever come across.

As the head begins to subside, lots of sticky lacing is reavealed.

Taste - Sweet roasted maltiness and caramel come together to form a solid backbone for a bitter hoppy beer. But unlike other IPAs, the bitterness of this one bites but doesn't destroy the person drinking. In the past I have had IPAs where I needed to eat something with them to make them tolerable, this is not like that at all. SN seems to know what they're doing by keeping such a delicate balance. Grapefruit of course appears on the tongue but it is followed by apricot, mango, and pine needles. This is much like the relief one gets from a sour patch kid once the sweetness hits. Alcohol, at 6.7%, is well hidden by the hops. Oh the joy!! There is still so much beer in this bomber. I refill my glass. Aftertaste starts off bitter but then has a citrusy trailoff. Definately the most complex and delicious IPA I have ever experienced.

3.49/5  rDev -16.3%

Ap - Bright caramel color with subtle carbonation...very attractive. head dissipates quickly with nice lacing

Ar - Pumpernickel and apples, though not a very big nose at all

T - disappointingly flat up front, with mild citrus and malt, but soon overwhelmed by bitter hoppy finish

F - Pleasant medium-light feel

D - Nicely refreshing in its own way, just not the mouthful I had expected.

4.55/5  rDev +9.1%

Eleventh Edition 2007 Harvest Fresh Hop Ale.

Came in a 24 oz. bomber; served in a pint glass.

This beer pours a very nice clear copper color with reddish hues. The thick, white, long-lasting three-finger head must be noted. It lasted forever! And it left some sticky lace at the botton half of the glass. It smells earthy and grainy, of course--it's Harvest Ale! The taste is pretty much the same as the smell, but more nutty and slighty burnt. It's fairly thick on the palate. I find this beer very drinkable.

Well, long time, no see, Beer Advocate! This is my first beer review since January 2005. I was still drinking while I was away, of course, I just wasn't coming here to report it.
Anyway, let's continue:
I just realized that they are selling this stuff in bottles now. I always knew about the Harvest Ale--since I'm a big fan of Sierra Nevada, and I'm aware of what they make--and I thought it was exclusively sold on-tap at the Sierra Nevada brewery. So, when I saw this I picked it up with the quickness. And I'm glad I did. Autumn is my favorite time of the year, and drinking this beer reminds me of the season. It just tastes like autumn. I love it. I had the pleasure of having this beer with my Thanksgiving meal, and it was a great pairing. 'Twas a great way to begin the holiday season. Especially at $2.99!

This was my first time having this beer, and I must say that it is another fabulous beer by Sierrra Nevada!

A: Amber, clear beige head that leaves a lot of lacing.

S: Malts, caramel and hops. A really fresh smell.

T: Follows the smell.

M: Refreshing without losing the body. Quite a lot of CO2, but not disturbing at all.

D: Goes down very easy. I would like to buy this beer again.

3.67/5  rDev -12%

Ordered a pitcher about a month ago at Bar Coastal UES(NYC) and now drinking a pint poured from a chubby bomber. Similar taste from bottle as from tap. Pours a deep amber and smell is sweeter than the taste. Taste is smooth with malty overtones while not too much hop bite. Very drinkable and could be a session beer for those looking for flavor without the high alcohol content.

4.55/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured from a 24 oz bomber into a pint glass...

Appearance: A deep amber/brown with a nice frothy 2 finger head. Lacing everywhere.

Smell: A distinct pine and grassy smell, but not overpowering.

Taste: I gotta tell ya, this is fantastic. Enough piney hops for hopheads and a great malt back to balance it out. A slight hint of bitterness on the finish, but definitely not overpowering.

Mouthfeel: Smooth. Not overly thick like some double IPAs or other highly hopped beers. Carbonation is perfect.

Drinkability: I have always been a fan of Sierra Nevada brews and this one is no exception. I love the Southern Hemi Harvest, but this one is even better IMO. Far exceeded my already lofty expectations and quite a steal at $5 for a bomber.

4.1/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured in a pint glass from a 24oz bottle. Color is a very clear bronze. There is a great, thick head that seems to hang around and is making some sweet lacing on the glass.

This beer has a great, mild hoppy aroma. I can't say that anything else really stands out. It has a strong, bitter hop flavor that bites at first and really hangs on the tongue with a hint of sweetness at the end. Just like i like my American IPA except the wet hopping method really gives it a unique character.

It has a medium body that's easy to swallow and leaves a tingle in the mouth. So smooth and easy to drink, I could definitely drink a few.

3.9/5  rDev -6.5%

Appearance: Dark amber in color with a thick layer of tiny bubbles / foamy head.

Smell: Smell was very well balanced. The hops came through but did not over power the sent.

Taste: Very standard IPA. Very drinkable and I would recommend this to a IPA Lover. I felt that it was easy to drink and lives up the the quality of beer that SN makes

Mouthfeel: thin but not too think. I was expecting something a bit thicker but I was glad to find it easy to drink. I think this would make a great summer beer instead of a fall brew.

Drinkability: It is a great beer but I don't think I could drink more than a bomber at a time. I am a mild fan of IPA and I find the hops to be a bit aggressive as the oz go down.

4.59/5  rDev +10.1%

BI got a 24oz bottle at total wine for under six bucks.

A. A nice clear copper color with a big white head. The retention was good and the lacing stayed there the whole time.

S. A glorious bouquet of hops. Piney and citrusy with some sweet malts shining through.

T. Hops hops hops! There is a lingering oilyness that leaves a citrus and grassy aftertase. The bitterness hits less and less as your taste buds get nuked.

M. The carbonation is good, and leaves a medium mouthful. Eventhough its bitter, the beer remains smooth.

D. This is a unique flavor and definately worth buying. I wish they had more, but I got the last one.

3.75/5  rDev -10.1%

from notes

Serving: bomber, bottled 9/24/2014, consumed 11/1/2014, well within 90 day consumption period

Look: Dark amber, orange, with creamy head, long retention, and clingy lacing

Smell: This was a unique aroma for me and I had trouble pinning it down, looking back on my notes. I couldn't decide if it was herbal, earthy, floral, or possibly even vegetal. I decided on floral. It was like a fresh flower or plant in rich soil. I guess this unique aroma was due to the use of wet hops. Overall the freshness of the hops was evident.

Taste: Similar to the smell, not too bitter and mostly comes out floral and vegetal. The floral hops are supported by sweet caramel malts.

feel: Relatively light, almost watery finish for an IPA

Overall: Sierra Nevada's Northern Hemisphere Harvest is an interesting display of a more floral/earthy hop rather than the typical piney or citrusy American hops that characterize our IPA's these days. Definitely not my favorite IPA, but a very interesting and pleasant experience that introduced new flavors to my palate. The beer is still solid and very quaffable, and I will likely try this again.

3.76/5  rDev -9.8%

Poured from a 24oz bottle, two fingers of a nice thick off-white foam. Rings of lacing stick throughout the glass. Dark copper/nearly red through the center. The aroma is not as strong as I was expecting but the smells that are there are sweet with a citrus back. Great tasting ale with a nice malt start and then a progression of hop flavors, leafy then citrus hop. The feel is very nice, creamy then with a nice tingly finish. Very drinkable, a lot of nice flavors and alcohol is hidden well.

Northern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.