Northern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop Ale | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Northern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop AleNorthern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Availability: Fall

Added by jmatthew on 10-15-2001

Reviews: 1,499 | Ratings: 3,548
4.55/5  rDev +9.1%

Eleventh Edition 2007 Harvest Fresh Hop Ale.

Came in a 24 oz. bomber; served in a pint glass.

This beer pours a very nice clear copper color with reddish hues. The thick, white, long-lasting three-finger head must be noted. It lasted forever! And it left some sticky lace at the botton half of the glass. It smells earthy and grainy, of course--it's Harvest Ale! The taste is pretty much the same as the smell, but more nutty and slighty burnt. It's fairly thick on the palate. I find this beer very drinkable.

Well, long time, no see, Beer Advocate! This is my first beer review since January 2005. I was still drinking while I was away, of course, I just wasn't coming here to report it.
Anyway, let's continue:
I just realized that they are selling this stuff in bottles now. I always knew about the Harvest Ale--since I'm a big fan of Sierra Nevada, and I'm aware of what they make--and I thought it was exclusively sold on-tap at the Sierra Nevada brewery. So, when I saw this I picked it up with the quickness. And I'm glad I did. Autumn is my favorite time of the year, and drinking this beer reminds me of the season. It just tastes like autumn. I love it. I had the pleasure of having this beer with my Thanksgiving meal, and it was a great pairing. 'Twas a great way to begin the holiday season. Especially at $2.99!

This was my first time having this beer, and I must say that it is another fabulous beer by Sierrra Nevada!

A: Amber, clear beige head that leaves a lot of lacing.

S: Malts, caramel and hops. A really fresh smell.

T: Follows the smell.

M: Refreshing without losing the body. Quite a lot of CO2, but not disturbing at all.

D: Goes down very easy. I would like to buy this beer again.

3.67/5  rDev -12%

Ordered a pitcher about a month ago at Bar Coastal UES(NYC) and now drinking a pint poured from a chubby bomber. Similar taste from bottle as from tap. Pours a deep amber and smell is sweeter than the taste. Taste is smooth with malty overtones while not too much hop bite. Very drinkable and could be a session beer for those looking for flavor without the high alcohol content.

4.55/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured from a 24 oz bomber into a pint glass...

Appearance: A deep amber/brown with a nice frothy 2 finger head. Lacing everywhere.

Smell: A distinct pine and grassy smell, but not overpowering.

Taste: I gotta tell ya, this is fantastic. Enough piney hops for hopheads and a great malt back to balance it out. A slight hint of bitterness on the finish, but definitely not overpowering.

Mouthfeel: Smooth. Not overly thick like some double IPAs or other highly hopped beers. Carbonation is perfect.

Drinkability: I have always been a fan of Sierra Nevada brews and this one is no exception. I love the Southern Hemi Harvest, but this one is even better IMO. Far exceeded my already lofty expectations and quite a steal at $5 for a bomber.

4.1/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured in a pint glass from a 24oz bottle. Color is a very clear bronze. There is a great, thick head that seems to hang around and is making some sweet lacing on the glass.

This beer has a great, mild hoppy aroma. I can't say that anything else really stands out. It has a strong, bitter hop flavor that bites at first and really hangs on the tongue with a hint of sweetness at the end. Just like i like my American IPA except the wet hopping method really gives it a unique character.

It has a medium body that's easy to swallow and leaves a tingle in the mouth. So smooth and easy to drink, I could definitely drink a few.

3.9/5  rDev -6.5%

Appearance: Dark amber in color with a thick layer of tiny bubbles / foamy head.

Smell: Smell was very well balanced. The hops came through but did not over power the sent.

Taste: Very standard IPA. Very drinkable and I would recommend this to a IPA Lover. I felt that it was easy to drink and lives up the the quality of beer that SN makes

Mouthfeel: thin but not too think. I was expecting something a bit thicker but I was glad to find it easy to drink. I think this would make a great summer beer instead of a fall brew.

Drinkability: It is a great beer but I don't think I could drink more than a bomber at a time. I am a mild fan of IPA and I find the hops to be a bit aggressive as the oz go down.

4.59/5  rDev +10.1%

BI got a 24oz bottle at total wine for under six bucks.

A. A nice clear copper color with a big white head. The retention was good and the lacing stayed there the whole time.

S. A glorious bouquet of hops. Piney and citrusy with some sweet malts shining through.

T. Hops hops hops! There is a lingering oilyness that leaves a citrus and grassy aftertase. The bitterness hits less and less as your taste buds get nuked.

M. The carbonation is good, and leaves a medium mouthful. Eventhough its bitter, the beer remains smooth.

D. This is a unique flavor and definately worth buying. I wish they had more, but I got the last one.

3.75/5  rDev -10.1%

from notes

Serving: bomber, bottled 9/24/2014, consumed 11/1/2014, well within 90 day consumption period

Look: Dark amber, orange, with creamy head, long retention, and clingy lacing

Smell: This was a unique aroma for me and I had trouble pinning it down, looking back on my notes. I couldn't decide if it was herbal, earthy, floral, or possibly even vegetal. I decided on floral. It was like a fresh flower or plant in rich soil. I guess this unique aroma was due to the use of wet hops. Overall the freshness of the hops was evident.

Taste: Similar to the smell, not too bitter and mostly comes out floral and vegetal. The floral hops are supported by sweet caramel malts.

feel: Relatively light, almost watery finish for an IPA

Overall: Sierra Nevada's Northern Hemisphere Harvest is an interesting display of a more floral/earthy hop rather than the typical piney or citrusy American hops that characterize our IPA's these days. Definitely not my favorite IPA, but a very interesting and pleasant experience that introduced new flavors to my palate. The beer is still solid and very quaffable, and I will likely try this again.

3.76/5  rDev -9.8%

Poured from a 24oz bottle, two fingers of a nice thick off-white foam. Rings of lacing stick throughout the glass. Dark copper/nearly red through the center. The aroma is not as strong as I was expecting but the smells that are there are sweet with a citrus back. Great tasting ale with a nice malt start and then a progression of hop flavors, leafy then citrus hop. The feel is very nice, creamy then with a nice tingly finish. Very drinkable, a lot of nice flavors and alcohol is hidden well.

4.95/5  rDev +18.7%

I love hops! This is my first wet hop brew and I wasn't disappointed. Harvest pours a very bright, deep copper color with a lovely tan head full of big bubbles. It billows over the top of the glass in a mound of foam. It smells incredible with notes of pine and cascade hops. There is a bit of a sweet smell that mixes well in the aroma. The taste is beautiful. Big hop character with significant bitterness that is not overpowering. A thin layer of head follows the beer to the bottom of the glass. The medium mouthfeel is very smooth and glides over the tongue and down to the belly. Harvest is a very drinkable beer; a hopheads dream!

4.58/5  rDev +9.8%

A - Pours a hazy dark orange color with a half inch rocky head. Tons of lace sticking to the glass.

S - Wreaks of hop oils, just like the other two Harvest ale offerings, but this takes the cake.

M - Creamy mouthfeel with heavy, heavy carbonation.

T - Heavy on hop resin, grapefruit, and then even more hops in the finish that lingers on and on. Even still, incredibly balanced.

D - If you love hops, this bomber will go quickly, but luckily there's plenty out there. One of their best...it's this and Bigfoot for me.

3.8/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours an orangish amber color with a thick, almost whip cream like frothy head. The lacing in the glass is really nice and the head lasts. Lots of carbonation can be seen when poured into a glass.

S: Smells of citris hops, piney hops and malt.

T: Starts off with a delicious fruity flavor but there's a bitter bite on the back end after it goes down. Personally if the bitterness on the back end were toned down a bit, this would be one heck of a beer.

M: Medium body with almost no hint of carbonation although you can see a ton of it in the glass, quite an interesting mix of sight versus mouthfeel.

D: Pretty drinkable and not one of those over the top IPA's that are too bitter for my tastes.

4.3/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Excellent product very different than the southern hemisphere in that this was much more malty to me... it also played on chocolate and nut flavors more so than the southern. It reminded me very much of Smuttynose Pale Ale with the malt being slight chocolate and nut and dry.

the abv at 6.7 is a bit high for sessions, I'd recommend the Smuttynose Pale Ale at 5 abv and excellent taste for a comparable product.

4.46/5  rDev +7%

Appearance started off with a huge 2 inch fluffy white head; color is a reddish copper and lacing that hangs around forever.

Strong smell and taste of pine and hops. Aftertaste brings in a strong citrus (mainly grapefruit) presence. Lingers in your mouth and makes you want another sip.

For a beer with this much hop presence, the drinkability is amazing. It goes down so easy, that you could easily drink too many. I think thats a good thing!

4.44/5  rDev +6.5%

A: Looks promising. Nice head, amber/copper color...

Smell: Smells VERY enticing. Like wet, gooey, aromatic sticky hop buds. Really, I think the smell is the halo around the crown here, the highlighting character.

Taste: An exceptional blend between malt and hops. Right amount of malt for the right amount of hops. Very balanced- earns my respects. Love the fresh hop character, similar to dry hopping, only more complex. Wet hops seem to adhere to the malt stonger, thus creating a more homogenous and well balanced beer. There are elements here not present in dry hopping. More earthness, which equals, more smoothness in the transition from hops to malt.

M: A nicely balanced malt and hop blend. Not too watery, not too thick, rightly carbonated. Masters of the trade, point in case.

Drinkability: I'm on my first cup, wouldn't want to over do it, but it would be easy! Just sayin', it's quality stuff.

4.01/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

On draft in a 10oz glass

L - beautiful honey amber color. nice clarity with no haze. minor head retention and lots of lacing around the glass.

S - smells slightly bready. earthier hops are present. some citrus comes through as well.

T - lots of orange peel. leaves a bitter finish on the palate. reminds me of freshly squeezed grapefruit juice.

F - medium body. goes down really smooth. nice balance. light alcohol burn. slight oil layer coats the mouth

O - absolutely delicious. quite drinkable for a hop heavy beer. the balance between the malt and hops works. i always enjoy the fresh aromatic notes from wet hopped beers.

4.01/5  rDev -3.8%

Just picked up two 24oz bottles from the Beer Room at Whole Foods - Bowery in NYC. Sampled from an imperial pint glass at a temp of around 45 degrees.

Pours dark--but transparent--copper with a big (two fingers), thick head. Lots of clinging lace on the sides of the glass.

Aroma - Very fresh. Lots of hops, but used well; not overpowering at all. Maybe some citrus, like clementines?

Taste - Lots of hops, a teeny tiny malty sweetness but mostly fresh grass clippings and juniper berries. Malt comes in right at the end to balance things out.

Mouthfeel - coats the mouth. It's been a few minutes since I had a sip and it's still lingering on the tongue. Way later I have a children's chewable aspirin thing going on in the back of the tongue.

Drinkability - Great drinkability but definitely not a session beer. 24 oz will be plenty for me...for tonight. Wish I could find this a little bit farther uptown...

4.18/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured from a 24 oz bomber into a pint glass:

A: Light caramel color, great head retention with plenty of lacing. Very clear

S: Little aroma, hops is present along with a touch of slightly roasted malt.

T: Apparent hops, pine/grapefruit with some earth/toasted/caramel notes. Bitterness is even and long-lived throughout the entire taste.

M: Medium bodied, enough carbonation to help the bite of hops. Leaves the signature resin feeling on the tongue

D: A well made wet-hopped beer, could have another glass or two. Sierra Nevada continues its reputation for distinguished brews

4.58/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured from 24oz bottle into Stella chalice

A...Beautiful clear, copper color with 2 finger off white head. Fine bubbles in head with tons of nice lacing.

S...wet hops makes for a nice aroma. Pine and fresh cut grass on the nose.

T...plenty of sweetness from the malts is present and followed by a bitter hops to balance it out. Lots of fruit flavors in it, some apricot mixes with earthy, pine resin. Complex. Every sip gives you can pick out different flavors.

M...great mouthfeel. Fine carbonation feels like it is dancing across your tounge. Reminicent of champagne in mouthfeel.

O...very nice brew. Very complex, enjoyable beer. Highly recommend.

4.08/5  rDev -2.2%

Got the 25 oz bottle from a friend, then went and bought a case myself.

This review is from my case.
Ale pours witha massive craggy foamy head - you really need to be careful on the pour with this one. Hop aroma hits you right away, and the foam is one big bitter bite....mmm, me likey.It's a beautiful deep reddy amber color. Cascade, cascade, cascade, I suspect. Wonderful.

This is one big hoppy beer, but there is enough malt to support it and knock the ABV up to a 6.7, which means with a 25 oz. bottle on an empty stomach, I have a buzz. Very nicely done, but I can't have more than one...well, maybe 2. and that's my only complaint, the 25 oz bombers doesn't stay cold while I drink the first 12 oz's.

It's very good, I'll get it again next year...love SN.

4.34/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Poured out a nice deep copper color with think head.

S: Earthy hops are what i get more than anything. Big delicious hops.

T: The taste follows right along with the smell. It delivers big bright grapefruit/piney hop flavor without being overpoweringly bitter. Decently complex, great malt counterpoint to the hops. Sweet caramel and some honey at the very end.

M: Medium bodied with nice carbonation.

O: Another great one from Sierra Nevada. This beer delivers for those wanting big hop flavor but is so well balanced and supremely drinkable. This one ranks up there with my favorite IPA's of the year.

4.07/5  rDev -2.4%

1,000 REVIEW
A- Awesome copper red appearance, great foam and nice head when poured from a bottle. When settled, had a high dollop of foam in the middle, very unique.

S- Sweet smell of caramel or toffee. Smell of fresh hops and citrus hits the pallet second.

T- A smooth ale with a ton of hops, malty grapefruit taste.

M- lower carbonation, low to medium body. Leaves a bitter yet good aftertaste like eating a grapefruit.

D- Great tasting ale with citrus/hop hitting the pallet. Very Drinkable.

4.72/5  rDev +13.2%

Poured into two room temp pint glasses from a the 24 oz bottle shown. Bottle purchased in New Hampshire two weeks ago and carried to NS by hand.

Pours with a thick creamy slightly tan head, lingers for the whole pint.

Aroma is of fresh, fresh hops. Amazing and bright.

Bitter and upfront with the hops, very assertive and amazingly fresh tasting. Lingering sweetness balances out the hops.

Heavy in the mouth, coats the tongue, but the alpha acid cuts through it well.

Strong in ABV and in flavour. A good beer to enjoy slowly, but hard to drink several in a row.

This is an amazing beer. It is filled with the type of fresh hop aroma that you get when you crush freshly harvested hops in your palms. Reminds me of hop picking day last season at my house!

Thanks for this beer!

3.73/5  rDev -10.6%

Pours a dark amber with a red tint. The head is an absolute monster. Semi aggressive pour produces a topping of foam that just will not go away. When it finally recedes a little, it leaves that biscuit of condensed bubbles floating on the top.

Taste is very good, with a hint of greeny, grassy freshness from the wet hops. Nice bitterness and overall a good flavor. Has an earthiness to it, with a hint of spice, along with orange peel.

The emphasis of this stuff is the fresh hops. There is a quality there you don't get from a regular IPA.

Very drinkable stuff. I wish I could get more.

4.71/5  rDev +12.9%

Poured from 24 oz. bomber into a tulip glass.

Appearance: Lacy, dark amber, strong milky head.

Smell: Phenomenal. West Coast IPA with more subtle and floral undertones...pine, grapefruit, lilac.

Taste: Strong hop bite fades to soft biscuity malts, smooth and balanced, fades on the palate from bity to smooth to bitter. Wonderful.

Mouthfeel: Soft, supple body. Wonderful hop harshness fades into this again.

Drinkability: As good as could be reasonably expected from such a flavorful brew.

Northern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.