Northern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop IPA | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Northern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop IPANorthern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American IPA

Availability: Fall

Formerly Northern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop Ale

Added by jmatthew on 10-15-2001

Ratings: 3,637 |  Reviews: 1,518
3.91/5  rDev -6%

Poured a clear, dark copper color from a 24 oz bottle into a pint glass. No freshness date, ABV however is on the label.
Good one to two finger head that dissipates slowly to leave some very good lacing.
Aroma is predominantly floral hops, with pine, hints of sweetness and malts.
Taste akin to the Southern Hemisphere (SH) is hop-dominant. However, this is slightly less hoppier taste wise than the SH. Hints of malty taste actually came through the hop-dominant profile.
Overall, this is a solid brew from Sierra Nevada. A hop-head's delight.

4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured entire bottle into oversized snifter. Moderate pour produced an almost 2 finger head. Color was deep rosewood, slightly hazy. Head lasted and lasted, left lacing all the way down.

Aroma is strong piney floral hops, some sweet malt at the end. Classic Sierra Nevada aromatics.

Taste is very hop dominant, strong grapefruit, floral and grassy Yakima valley hops. Slight hints of other citrus. Enough malt to keep the hops from being too much, very dry finish. Moderate-high bitterness.

Medium body, with bubbles dancing on the puckered tongue, goes down easy.

Very drinkable. Wish I had another.

4.07/5  rDev -2.2%

Ap. Pretty coppery golden brown with minimum head...because I always pour it cold. Good lacing as it warms up.
Sm. Sweet malt and hops on top. Kind of lemony or good grassy smell?
Ta. Sweet and tart mix of malt and hops. Some butterscotch, solidly bitter finish.
Mf. Nicely filling, clean, good carbonation.
Dr. Very very easy to drink.

4.01/5  rDev -3.6%

The brew pours an impressive looking amber chestnut hue with beautiful carbonation that leaves behind a very frothy,creamy two finger head that stays and leaves heaps of lacing everywhere,the smell is a little subdued with aromas of sweet honey,caramel,stonefruit and pine,the mouthfeel is perfectly carbonated and medium bodied and the tastes of mandarin,honey,caramel and lemon zest make themself well known before being overpowered right at the end by a strong wet pine,sherbet bitterness that really leaves your lips puckered,and overall its a fine drop that i could drink alot of and ive gotta say even for a hophead like me i am very impressed with the bitterness of this fine brew,definately reccomend cheers.

4.52/5  rDev +8.7%

Man, what great looking beer! Two fingers of rocky foam boulders. Dissipated a little quickly, but that's the only thing that kept the appearance from getting a 5. Tons of lacing were left behind. The ale is an opaque copper/orange that looks delicious.

I'm picking up some exceptional citrus aromas like oranges and tangerines, not the grapefruit and pine I was expecting. Perhaps a little sweeter than bitter. I don't think I've had the Yakima hops before. I really like the smell; I hope the flavor is half as good as the aroma. It's pretty close. The flavor is full of bitter hops but with this citrus sweetness that I'm lovin'. Perhaps a little caramel sweetness from the malts as well. Even though it features the fresh hops it's not out of balance at all. I can't imagine there's anything here a hop head wouldn't love. I don't think my description is capturing the wonderful essence that these fresh hops bring to this American IPA.

The mouth feel is medium with some fizzy, refreshing carbonation on my tongue. There's nothing about the beer that's tiring or cloying. Very reasonable ABV. On the surface it seems very drinkable, but I am going super slowly. I've been at it for at least 40 minutes and I'm not nearly halfway through my 24 oz. bottle. Tried to get my wife to share it with me but it was too bitter for her. I feel awkward rating its drinkability, but it is filling and satiating. It doesn't seem right to deduct points for qualities that make it so good.

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

A- Pours a 1 finger thick creamy white/light tan head over a slightly hazy orange/copper body. Plenty of lace rings the glass.

S- Balance is big here. Some nice piny hop notes showing a bit of orange apricot notes. Some earthiness is present amongst some honeyed biscuit maltiness.

T- Starts out with some earthy hop notes, slightly earthy and grassy with some definite died apricot. Overall, this is pleasing with some balanced maltiness although nothing jumps out at me. The finish is long and slow with resinous hop oil.

M- Nice full body with ample carbonation.

D- A solid beer. Nothing jumps out at me but overall, a good quality beer I would enjoy again in the future.

4.29/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2010 edition
1.5 pint bottle served in .5 liter Austrian mug.

A - pours clear dark amber with lovely highlights and a very substantial frothy head. The head has excellent retention and leaves the glass coated with lace.

S - moderate strength, dominated by piney hops.

T - rich. Fresh hops dominate but much of the bitterness is countered by a solid malt backbone. Malt most obvious initially and in finish, with hoppy aftertaste. According to brewer, IBU = 60-65.

M - full; remarkably smooth for style; good carbonation

D - Very hoppy and nicely bitter but a significant sweet/caramel malt presence gives this beer excellent drinkablilty [in contrast to the very hoppy but overly bitter Imperial IPA I drank last night].
Excellent!

UPDATE: 2012 edition consumed Jan. 2013 earns about the same high ratings.

4.82/5  rDev +15.9%

Appearance: Beautiful amber color. Even with a decent pour, there was still little head.

Smell: Great aroma!! I have a soft spot for hops, and this beer smells like how an IPA should smell like!

Taste: Currently my favorite beer. I picked this up at a local Whole Foods. Now, my last three trips to Whole Foods, I have to pick one or two of these up.

Mouthfeel: Very nice, the beer, once again, does seem to be a little flat...I am not sure if I have just been purchasing an old shipment or something though.

Drink ability: For any IPA lover, very easy to drink. Great kick at the end as well.

4.42/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured from bomber into pint glass- nice amber color,mostly clear,right carbonation.

Smell of subtle pine,citrus & mild sweetness

Nice hop taste with grapefruit,malts and overall fresh flavor.

Very refreshing and feels good going down

Very drinkable- wish I had another right now. I think I like these fresh hop styles

3.95/5  rDev -5%

Poured a 2" head which took a while to dissipate to 1/2" but never gave up completely. Hazy amber with a reddish hue. Mild but fresh hop smell. Likewise taste is like an extremely fresh and clean hoppiness but without all the sharp bitterness you often get in IPAs. And there's hints of citrus, as well as quite a long finish.

I've had bolder beers, but never fresher hops than this.

4.2/5  rDev +1%

Pours a copper color with a thick head that laces the glass.

Citrus notes right away, especially grapefruit. It's not as bitter as I thought it would be, and I found myself being slighly disappointed. It seemed a little one-note. Don't get me wrong, this is a good beer. It's just not overly interesting.

4.61/5  rDev +10.8%

Poured from the bottle into a perfect pint glass. Clear dark copper colour with full white head that stays at least a finger thick all the way down leaving plenty of lace. Lots of rising bubbles.

The aroma is good, if a little muted... some may say subtle. Citrusy, piney hops with some grainy and toffee-like malts.

The taste is so rich and full. More grapefruit hops and plenty of those balancing caramel/grainy roasted malts come together to make a beer that tastes exactly the way I think a pale ale/IPA should taste. The finish is lingering but not in the least but harsh. I feel like I've just eaten a grapefruit the way you might eat an orange (and I have done many times), which is no bad thing as far as I'm concerned.

Medium bodied with good but not prickly carbonation.

Wow. This will make my favourite beers of 2010 list, if I make one.

A- Semi-opaque amber/brown hued body with a gorgeous white head

S- Hops. Piney and citrus hops

T- Piney and citrusy hops and a little malt to balance with a bitter hop finish

M- Medium-bodied, has a creamy feel and good carbonation

D- It lacks in balance, but the nice fresh hops causes me to return

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

This beer had a nice dark amber/reddish copper color with a fluffy tan head and a strong hop aroma.

What a delicate flavor! The fresh hops are surprisingly mild. The beer is extremely smooth and easy-drinking considering its India Pale Ale nature - I expected something crushingly bitter. I thought fresh hops meant extra bitterness.

It was tasty, buy some if you can get it.

4.17/5  rDev +0.2%

Of the two, I would say I probably prefer the Southern variety of this offering. But this is still a great beer. No one does a true wet hop ale better than Sierra Nevada.

Pours a dark clear copper into my pint glass. Head disappears, rining a ring of foam on the top. Quality lacing throughout the sessing.

Fruit, pine, lemon on the nose.

Wow, sour grassy lemon, and a hint of pepper on the palate. Not my favorite hop profile, but it's well balanced and quite tasty. Upong draining my first glass, I finished the bottle into my pint glass. I presume there was some sediment in the bottom of the bottle. I for one enjoy the sediment, particularly in IPAs. It can really balance the flavor out if the hops are too dominant. There wasn't much sediment, but the second glass definitely tastes more balanced and not quite as hoppy.

Nice mouthfeel. Slightly syrupy, and a boat load of balanced hops. Killer American IPA.

Great beer, very drinkable.

4.32/5  rDev +3.8%

Pours a deep golden brown with a bubbly head that has some great retention. Spots of big bubbles form as the lace spreads out. As you drink down the glass a nice scattered wall of foam clings to the sides.
The aroma contains some toffee malts and an amazing amount of citrus hops. When they say wet hop ale they mean it. I feel like I'm holding fresh hops in my hand. After a couple of good whiffs I get more of a earthy citrus aroma.
Very smooth and toffee/caramel up front that leads immediately into many layers of hops. The hops are so smooth and citrus/pine and they go through a metamorphosis from very fresh/sweet/citrus to a mellow bitter over the toffee/caramel malt after you swallow and then to a nice dry bitterness but it still retains its sweetness. This flavor lingers with you for a while after you put down the glass. Taking a deep breath after a solid sip really accentuates the citrus/pine characteristic of this beer.
This is a great beer. I have not reviewed the Southern Hemisphere Harvest but from what I remember I liked it better. The hops were very unique. I definitely recognize these hop flavors.

3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

A - yellow-amber color, off-white head, good lacing.

S - a lot of citrusy hops, I'm not getting much else.

T - nice crisp hop flavor which also dominates the aftertaste, there's also somewhat of a sweet malt backbone to it.

M - light and medium-bodied

D - quite good and easy to drink.

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

This beer pours a glowing amber color with a dark copperish tint to it. The head was slightly off white. The aroma is unique, very piney, almost reminded me instanly of some sort of cleaner. The taste has a citrus piney hop taste, with a sweet malt backbone. The mouthfeel is medium, and overall is a very drinkable beer.

3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

24 oz. 2010 version reviewed 12/20/2010. Pint glass.

A- Crystal clear, medium orange/amber beer with almost no carbonation visible. Very active foamy, off white head with awesome retention. I was never without at least an inch of foam.

S- Piney hops with some citrus notes. Very faint undertones of tropical fruit. Not incredibly assertive, but nice.

T- Pine first again, with some citrus. A very faint malt note, but barely detectable. Some spicy/peppery notes. Smooth with a mild bitterness that sticks around for a long finish. Really mild, but a nice clean hop flavor.

M- Solid medium body, with a nice oily and dry finish. Some mild carbonation.

D- My first impression was that this was a bit watery, but after a couple sips the nice oily finish coated my palette with the hop flavors and lingering bitterness that really help the flavors to come out. Not anything crazy, just a great representation of the hops that went into this. Milder than I was expecting, but I still enjoyed it.

4.12/5  rDev -1%

Appearance: Amber-orange creamy white frothy head that is persistent.

Smell: Lovely. Pungent. Earthy, resinous and grapefruit hops. A hint of caramel malt.

Taste: Follows the smell, but a little less punchy due to increased malt sweetness/presence.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, slick and medium bodied.

Drinkability: Excellent I need another bottle.

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance:
Honey-brown with a thin frothy head sustained by small ascending bubbles of carbonation.

Smell:
Notes of caramel and pine that's mostly earthy, but with an endearing citrus presence that makes it smell delicious!

Taste/Mouthfeel/Drinkability:
Very well balanced, but an assertive, hoppy IPA. It has a solid malt backbone that's gives it a bready, not sweet, base beneath a piney, earthy hop presence. The mid-high level of carbonation gives the brew a little fluffiness on the palate that is a big plus for its drinkability, even despite a fairly heavy mouth-feel... that really conjures the word "sticky".

Overall, it's a very tasty brew that I could session on for a good long time. Very happy this is a 24oz format!

3.65/5  rDev -12.3%

pours out of the 24 ounce bottle a clear pure amber colour with a thick and frothy egg shell white head, leaving plentiful lace. hoppy aroma...bits and pieces of pine resin, grapefruit rind, and caramel driven maltiness. taste is more of the same except it has more of a malt driven profile than i was expecting. a straight up malt base provides some backbone for the hoppiness to peek through flavour wise. the hop resin flavours are a bit spicy and subdued and the back end bitterness provides a hefty puckering punch. full bodied with a grating mouthfeel expected from an IPA of this sort. drinkability is pretty good.

overall i enjoyed this but it seems a bit redundant. or maybe just not so spectacular that it stands out as an overly special IPA. as i finsh the bottle it's apparent that this is indeed a blistering bitter hop bomb...solid but not spectacular.

4.42/5  rDev +6.3%

Magnificent American pale ale, with an Imperial flavour profile that tastes more potent than it's 6.7%.

Beutiful amber in the glass, grapefruit on the nose and supremely hoppy to drink, with a pleasantly bitter finish that lingers.

Wish I'd purchased more than one!

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a case for the big bottles for homebrewing,

Poured into standard pint glass, presents with nice deep amber color and big frothy head that really clings well.

Smell is fresh citrusy hops with mild roasted malt sweetness.

Taste is a bit more malt sweetness, good roasted caramely character with a good balance of bitter hops.

Mouthfeel is just a bit on the sweet side, meaning it kind of sticks to your mouth, but the flavors are well balanced.

An exceptionally drinkable beer, would love to try this fresh on tap.

Updated review - 1/21/2016:

Poured into a standard pint glass, color is amber , head is about 1/2 inch thick, great frothy lacing.

Aroma is nice blend of caramel and toasted malts, then some nice fresh hop aromas: citrus, light pine, grass.

Taste is great, this is hits all the right marks for a great big flavorful beer that is still drinkable: fresh hops come forward first, citrus, pine, earth, grass. Malt follows the aroma, with light caramel, solid toast and some biscuit flavors.

Mouthfeel is excellent: nice full mouth flavor, moderate carbonation and a nice warming feeling on the tongue.

Overall, an exceptional beer, full flavor, not cloying and great full body feel.

4.26/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 24 oz bottle into a pint glass. A light amber color with a slight haze. A good inch of head that last a long time.

The aroma is rather light. citrus and hops. A hint of sweetness.

Tastes very good. Hops and malt, almost a rye flavor to it. It reminds me of Founders red eye only sweeter. Hints of carmel and citrus linger.

It feels heavier in the mouth than it appears in the glass. Leaves the mouth feeling clean.

Very good beer.

Northern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.