Northern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop Ale | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Northern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop AleNorthern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Availability: Fall

Added by jmatthew on 10-15-2001

Reviews: 1,499 | Ratings: 3,550
3.33/5  rDev -20.1%

24 ounce bottle, 2011 version poured into a tulip glass.

A: Clear bronze/amber body with a slightly off-white head. Very bubbly, creamy and thick looking head that left huge sticky lacing and a great retention cap the entire time. Seriously, this is just a killer looking IPA.

S: Pine, sap, hop resin, slight bitter citrus notes (orange and lemon peel). A nice bitterness comes through along with a faint caramel malt aroma. The focus is certainly the bitter hops.

T: Bitter hop notes all over the palate, through and through. Pine, floral notes, hop resin, orange oils and more caramel malts towards the back end. The finish is sticky with a earthy and dry distinct bitterness.

M: Bubbly and creamy, a bit thicker than I'd personally like for an IPA. Quite dry and sticky in the linger, not bad but there's a few things off about it.

Eh, this was okay for me. I can appreciate the concept of the hop harvesting and such but I think I've become more akin to a citrus IPA profile, as opposed to this brash pine and sap bitterness. It's good but it's tiresome after a while. I didn't even end up finishing the bottle.

3.33/5  rDev -20.1%

Had this on tap at Lucky Baldwins tonight. One bartender poured it for me and it didn't seem right so another bartender poured me another to compare. This is not an IPA, its a hoppier amber ale. I loved the harvest last year, what happened?

Pours a reddish copper color. A bit light for a red but too dark for an IPA. Good clarity, good retention + lacing.

Aroma is sweet and very red ale-like. Very malty, very hoppy too. I could smell what I am sure is Chinook hops. Mild grapefruit moderate pine smell.

Flavor is dry and chalky like an amber. Moderate/high bitterness, medium hop flavor, sweet, sticky, and dry aftertaste. Really malty.

Medium body, good CO2 (from a keg though so this doesn't mean anything). Very drinkable, but this was not at all what I was expecting.

3.34/5  rDev -19.9%

This is a copper colored beer that smells like a citrus grove and candy.

Taste is simple, light pine and bitterness at the start fading into an oily bitterness. I am pretty biased against hoppy beers, so I will stop here.

Mouthfeel is airy with bubbles but not a lot of fizz. Swish it around and you will get a cloud of foam in your mouth but not a bunch of tingling.

3.35/5  rDev -19.7%

Pours a clean orange-ish/ copper color with an off white head. Aromas of hops and faint earthiness. In the taste, earthy, hoppy and somewhat sticky sweet. A smooth, yet watery mouthfeel and a small bitter aftertaste. Nice flavors, kind of light, yet easy to drink. A great seasonal!

3.35/5  rDev -19.7%

picked this one up on discount, disappointed I couldn't get this one fresh when it was released. I always enjoy IPAs better fresh (especially overly-hopped brews like this one)

pours a nice looking amber, with a decent fluffy head.
smells of citrus and pine, everything I'm looking for in an enticing IPA.
strong, bitter hop taste at first, but it hit me quick and didn't last long. a good balance with the malts, which was surprising considering SNs pale ale products are usually all hops. interesting, but here it didn't really work for me. the flavors came on strong and got me excited, but left me wanting more. a bit of a creamy after taste, with lingering pine and orange peel flavors.
I wasn't overly impressed by this one; maybe it's because I've been so enamored with the Torpedo and Anniversary offerings, maybe I was just expecting a major hop bomb, or maybe this beer was simply past it's prime. worth a try, but I'd wait until the next batch is released to check it out.

3.38/5  rDev -18.9%

24 oz bottle, 2007 11th edition. Pours a clear copper with a creamy white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is sweet doughy malts with floral piney hops and a little tar.

The flavor is sweet bready malts with a lingering burnt bitter finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and watery.

Overall, a decent IPA(?) with good bitterness. It's a little simplistic and not totally to my tastes.

3.38/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

24oz bottle purchased for $4.29 on 10-3-7 at Belmont Station.

Pours a clear amberish copper with an adequate eggshell white head that dissipates quickly leaving sporadic lacing. The aroma is interesting. Spicy hop character and something resembling a hair salon. Don't know how else to describe that, but it is in your face. The taste is mostly about the hops, obviously, balanced by caramel malt. There is an aspirin-like after taste. In my opinion, this offering doesn't quite live up to expectations. I was hoping for a bit more bright hop character in the taste and aroma and was put off by whatever it is that reminds me of a hair salon.

3.38/5  rDev -18.9%

Pours a nice ruby amber with a good sized lasting off white head in a tulip. Piney, chemical cleaner like hops aroma. After it warms, some bitter unripe pecan like nuttiness too. Taste is pretty similar to smell. Kind of piney, fairly bitter, and astringent like hop taste. Nicely carbonated and nice body. Sharp, dry metallic bitterness but a faint earthy sweetness in the finish as well. Overall a hoppier than average IPA that has a unique character about it. Good, but something I'll have to try again, I think.

3.38/5  rDev -18.9%

Poured into a perfect from a 22 ounce bomber.

Pours a light copper with a huge head that recedes to a one finger cap and laces the glass very amply.

Aroma is not a hop forward as I was expecting. Aroma is tannic malts with a light hop rider. Quite crackery and bready, this has less hop than most SN ales I've had, might be the age.

Flavor is tannic and light hop. Grain is solid, caramel and roasted. Hop is tannic and astringent. Numbing on the tongue with less flavor than normally from SN beers. There is an astringency not normal for these beers. For the amount my lips and tongue are numbing, the bruising flavor is not present.

Mouthfeel is medium and carbonation is adequate, drinkability is hindered by the tongue numbing astringency.

I am a fan of SN beers but this was way off from what I am used to, the chemical astringent tongue numbing flavor turned me off.

Disappointment for me, if only because of what I am accustomed to.

3.39/5  rDev -18.7%

Nice and fresh IPA. A bit short of the outstanding promise but worth it in any case.

Presentation: 24 oz bottle. Iconic special release Sierra Nevada bomber, big and chubby. A lot of mannerism in the design without the best of visual legibility. Includes a solid narrative in the front label putting the brewing effort in context with a good description of the ale. Date of bottling or freshness shown as 2009, neither shows IBUs or °Plato, only Alc. (6.7%) Poured into a tall tulip glass.

A - Clear golden/coppery color. Tremendous foamy head with great retention and lacing. Persistent foamy cap throughout.

S - Nice if a bit subdued hoppy nose, not very floral or aromatic. It's a crisp smell with some malty notes.

T - Fairly fresh taste, with a smaller start and a large bitter finish, and malty notes.

M - Straight and abundant bitterness, a bit of a light body. It's not quite watery but it does not have the malt base of other IPAs.

D - The light malty base with such a bitterness makes it nicely drinkable.

Notes: Nice brew, in line with some of these Sierra Nevada big bottle offerings,i.e. nice but not too remarkable. Rather similar to those reviews. In fact, it might be a bit of a let down if one follows its own hype. I could have had this one a bit late off the shelve compromising the freshness, but the place is typically legit and I´m getting this vibe from their production on this range. For a web hop ale I sure had a better feel with others.

3.4/5  rDev -18.5%

Aroma is fairly decent with some earthy, floral and citrus hop contributions. Nothing overpowering. Light pale and caramel malts in the background.

Taste follows the nose, quire hoppy with florals and citrus dominating. Decent pale and caramel malt backbone, more than I expected honestly.

Nice crisp mouthfeel. Good hoppy aftertaste. Worth a try.

3.4/5  rDev -18.5%

A: Somewhat opaque almond copper color with a 2 finger lathery head. Classic lacing.

S: Juicy grapefruit hop smell, older pine. Mot much malt happening here.

T: Full frontal hop assault. Acidic citrus, tangy overripe grapefruit, just there bready malt. Resilient and resounding hop bitterness at the end.

M: Crisp but thinner bodied than expected.

D: Fairly enjoyable, particularly for it's intrinsic status.

An expose on hop fundamentals. But, not much more to make me come back for more.

3.4/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Bottle- pours deep copper/caramel colour with average head and thin lacing. Nose- grassy pine, some spice. Taste- spicy, with fairly meaty hop profile that is quite bitter and quickly drying. The caramel malts are there, but this is a very bitter brew and a little one sided on that aspect of the hops. Was hoping for more "fresh" hop flavours. Drinkability is good, but the dry bitterness does get somewhat tiring.

3.41/5  rDev -18.2%

I have had this beer a handful of times, but this is the first attempt at a review.

Beer pours a lovely amber with lots of bubbles racing to the top and a big, long-lasting, frothy head. A lot going on here.

Pine dominates the smell, not surprising given the wet hops. There are also some spicy notes and lemon zest.

The taste was not what I expected; much more malty and less hoppy. The hops are not truly noted until the aftertaste. Frankly, I am wondering if this beer is as fresh as it could be. I swear I have had other bottles that are hoppier.

The mouthfeel is fine, but a little light in my opinion.

Drinkability is somewhat low, due to issues with the taste mentioned above. The lack of bitterness upfront, combined with the excess in the aftertaste, make this a less drinkable beer than other SNs I have had.

Again, I am really suspicious that the beer is not fresh, had a rough journey to me, or whatever, that affected the overall quality. THIS beer is not bad, but certainly nothing great.

3.41/5  rDev -18.2%

Bottle via trade with HogtownHarry. This isn't as fresh as it should be I guess, but here goes. Beautiful deep copper pour with white head just sitting on top. Aroma is quite hoppy, peppery, earthy, leafy, everything IPA should smell like but this is dimmed down a bit. Taste is still quite bitter, just enough malt sweetness to make it enjoyable. Palate is average but good.

3.43/5  rDev -17.7%

GLASS: Capt. America for Prez Pint Glass (Yahooo!)
TEMP: Chilled to approx 45 degrees

First, I disagree with this being reviewed under the same entry as last years version, because this is a different bottle altogether. I thought about starting a new listing, but everyone else seems to be putting their reviews under this one so, I guess that I will, too.
Last years release (11th) was a dry-hopped version, while this years is wet-hopped. Last years was 6.2% abv while this years is 6.7% abv.

Clear, golden amber liquid, similar to maple syrup in appearance. Massive 4+ finger head with very good retention. Excellent lacing, very sticky.

Very hoppy nose. Very citrusy. Lots of lemon zest and tons of grapefruit. Lighter floral tones. Slight hint of fresh-cut grass. Some sweet malt notes are detected.

Big bitter hop bite smacked me in the face, right out of the gate. Piney, citrusy and floral all combine for an abundant attack. Flavors of grapefruit, pine resin, and bitter citrus. Light malt sweetness is in there, but it's way down deep.

Good mouthfeel in general, but I find it abit on the waterey side.

I can see that this would make an easy drinking bottle, but for me, the hops are too over dominant. I might pick up a few bottles to cellar for a year or two, to see how they age.

3.44/5  rDev -17.5%

On Tap at Taco Mac Decatur January 5 2012. 16 Ounce Pour.

(Appearance) beer arrives a medium copper tone with a light white surface cover. Carbonation is spritely. Beer is the slightest bit hazy. Lacing is poor in quality and quantity. An on-par appearance. 3

(Smell) aroma consists of very light floral and spicy hops and a hint of citrus fruit, some wet and some dry hopped. Malt body is mild as well. Pleasant light aroma to this beer but no off smells. 4

(Taste) Tastes of a light malty body with a mildly hopped bitter backbone. Malt character is complete with pale malts and a touch of caramel. Bitter hops most prevalent in the finish, rounding this as a slightly more bitter beer. Balance is close, but this could improve with more malt substance. 3.5

(Mouthfeel) Very light texture, with a mild level of carbonation and a slightly sticky and resinous texture lends a hand to the laid back approach the taste creates. Light body and a mild alcohol astringency here and there are discernible. One of the blander aspects of this beer is in the mouthfeel. 3

(Overall) This was an alright IPA but with so many alternatives on the market there's plenty of other options, even if you're going for a milder-tasting IPA. While its got it's character and enjoyment here and there, there's nothing standing out about this beer. 3

3.45/5  rDev -17.3%

Picked this up today maybe a bad bottle I don't know but this was just okay not up to my usual expectations for a SN brew.

A - started good a copper color with a nice head that some nice lacing on the side of the glass.

S - grassy a bit nutty as well.

T - Okay this beer is just that okay but this is just nutty maybe if this were a brown but I really am not enjoying this.

M - Again okay feel probably still effecting me from the nutty taste.

D - I really didn't like this one, I know it's supposed to be different but I really didn't enjoy this brew.

3.45/5  rDev -17.3%

2010 version poured into a DFH pint glass.
A- Nice rich copper color. 1 inch white head.
Glass was well laced, top to bottom.
S-Hoppy, citrus, pine.
T-Crisp, bitter, pine, hoppy.
M-Nothing special, but nothing bad.
D-Could drink a few...if I had too.

Overall I had higher expectations. I am little underwhelmed. It's not really bad. Just not for me.

3.46/5  rDev -17%

S: Bottle poured into a glass.

A: Very deep chesnut color, quite appetizing to your eyes.

S: Smells rather nutty, and the hops are easily detectable, as they should be in a wet hop ale.

T: The taste isn't so much for me, as I am more into less hoppy ales, but for a really hoppy ale this was pretty good. Would drink again. The hops really sing in this beer, and keep on punching your taste buds throughout.

M: Very good, not too watery.

D: Average.

3.47/5  rDev -16.8%

22oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Pours a clear, copper-orange with a huge tan head. The head has great retention and never seems to fade. It also leaves tons of lacing on the glass.

S - Pine hits you first, followed by some roasty carmel scents and finishes with a bit of orange.

T - Grass and very earthy, malts dominate here.

D - Bitter throughout, average carbonation and body.

O - The flavor just doesn't do it for me here.

3.48/5  rDev -16.5%

Man, you guys are all up in SN's panties. I have been WAITING for this beer, and after getting it, I'm under-impressed.

Some friends and I made a harvest ale this year with wet hops from the back yard -- about 6 pounds or more in 8 gallons. Cascade, Centennial and Chinook hops. This ale was amazing, primarily due to the fresh hops.

Unfortunately, SN's try this year is a thiner than expected pale ale with less than enough fresh hop flavor. I was expecting a little more malt sweetness to balance the bitter hops...the aroma hops just aren't doing it for me!

Nice color, good head, aroma is lacking in fresh hop goodness, and drinkability is fine, but lackluster. Don't get me wrong, buy one of these and relish in the awesomness of the fresh hops...just don't get crazy. And this beer (as are most fresh hop beers) is not one that will last. Chill it and kill it.

3.48/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Tasting Notes:

Appearance: clear; amber colored; 1 finger off white head that receded to a thin collar; nice lacing;

Smell: somewhat muted; caramel malt is there, with pine behind that;

Taste: caramel malt and earthy/herbal hops; a little grapefruit at the finish; mildly bitter from mid-palate to the finish;

Mouthfeel: medium bodied; moderate carbonation; dry finish;

Overall: not as hop forward as I would have liked, but very well balanced and enjoyable to drink;

3.49/5  rDev -16.3%

Ap - Bright caramel color with subtle carbonation...very attractive. head dissipates quickly with nice lacing

Ar - Pumpernickel and apples, though not a very big nose at all

T - disappointingly flat up front, with mild citrus and malt, but soon overwhelmed by bitter hoppy finish

F - Pleasant medium-light feel

D - Nicely refreshing in its own way, just not the mouthful I had expected.

3.5/5  rDev -16.1%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Poured an amber copper color with a head of slightly off white foam. Good carbonation.

S - Hoppy and floral.

T - Floral and perfumy with a hoppy bitterness. Alcohol warmth also detected.

MF&D - Medium bodied with good carbonation. I was not overly impressed by this ale.

Northern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.