Ovila Abbey Dubbel | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Ovila Abbey DubbelOvila Abbey Dubbel

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: Dubbel

Added by Thorpe429 on 03-12-2011

3.8

Ratings: 1,036 |  Reviews: 454
4.73/5  rDev +24.5%

pours a cloudy brown with a fair size light tan head. smell is faint with a mineral note to it. taste is also light and malty with hint of spice fresh and clean on the palate and lots of carbonation. one of the better dubbel beers i have tried hats off to sierra nevada.

4.72/5  rDev +24.2%

Hi, I'm Kris (..and you all say, "Hi Kris") and this is my first review on BA. I wanted to start with an exceptional brew and go from there.

I first picked this bottle up while on a wine tasting weekend in Sonoma, Ca. I'm so happy I did.

Appearance - poured a wonderful copper color with a soft cream colored head that dissipated a little quick and slight lacing.

Smell - great spiced fruit & clove hinted aroma, but not overwhelming.

Taste - Great. Cinnamon & mild malty fruit. I was expecting more hops, but was pleasantly surprised how clean this Dubbel finishes.

Mouthfeel - you get the complex flavors up front and rolls to a little dry. I love the high carbonation in this bottle that leaves your palette refreshed and wanting more.

Overall - this is one of my favorite brews right now and I get excited when I know that I will be popping the cork on this bad boy. I've bought more to share with friends and family. Not sure if this is on tap anywhere, but would love to compare the taste (the Saison/Farmhouse sister brew to this one reviewed is on-tap).

4.67/5  rDev +22.9%

A: dark ruby poured into sniffer no head little lacing

S: raisen fig slight booze bourbon

T: malt, raisen ripe fruit, awesome bourbon

M: smooth, clean crispness easy to drink

O: I like this a lot it's smooth and rich I like the aged taste it makes me feel sophisticated at least until I hit the floor lol

4.66/5  rDev +22.6%

Was skeptical because it was a dubbel from Sierra Nevada. I'm fond of their pale ales but haven't tried much else. Safe to say, I enjoyed it. Had a nice, dark brown color, smooth taste, sweetness, and some bitterness. I would drink it again.

4.64/5  rDev +22.1%

4.62/5  rDev +21.6%

Pours a deep amber color with about one finger of tan frothy head that leaves a small amount throughout the beer.

Very nice scent, sweet fruit is prominant along with a lot of spice. Some alcohol is noticeable.

The taste is of sweet fruit like grapes, banana, maybe some apple, a nice amount of spice, and some roasted malt flavor, alcohol is quite noticeable.

Medium body, smooth but prickly feel, moderate carbonation.

This was maybe the most flavorful dubbel I've ever had. There is a lot to taste with this beer.

4.59/5  rDev +20.8%

Consumed May 22nd, 2011 from a Triple Petrus tulip/snifter.

Beer pours a mostly transparent deep caramel color; not as dark as a soda, but dark brown. A two finger head of irregularly sized bubbles forms and fairly quickly subsides to a thin crown of off-white bubbles.

Gorgeous aroma: fruity (apricots and white grapes) with a hint of pepper and sweet, yeasty fresh bread.

Flavor follows nose, though pepper is mostly absent. White grapes and light breadiness are the main components. The flavor is also relatively light, as in not too malty or sweet. Low bitterness. Nicely done!

Slightly thick and ever-so-slightly creamy. Win!

This is a great beer with a flavor profile slightly out of the norm for a dubbel; I drank the whole bottle with no difficulty at all. Goes great with red meat.

4.52/5  rDev +18.9%

Extra thick champagne corked brown 12oz bottle with no freshness date into standard pint. Been craving Belgian beers latley.

A: cloudy brown like an unfiltered nut brown ale. Opened with thick off white head hat fell to a pretty average splotchy cap and a might thick ring. Big caramel notes with alcohol. A bit of yeast but it is pretty light. The slightly astringent smell I always get from belgian beers is there but not huge either.

T: follows nose, opens with caramel from the candi sugar followed by that belgian astringent yeast funk that I have been craving this past week. Finishes off with a bit of spicy bitter hop. Really well balanced and I want to take bigger drinks but this is for sipping.

M: thick and rich a little bit of a slick finish that is rather drying. Very drinkable.

O: sierra nevada scores again, this beer is wonderful. Just wat I needed to kick off my own little belgian style beer fest.

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

Color: pours light brown with a golden hue. sits clear, deep amber with not quite two fingers of cola-colored head when poured into a goblet

Smell: malt balanced with moderate spicy phenolic notes, sweet bread, and light fruitiness resembling dark varieties

Taste: rich maltiness with some caramel and sweet bready notes, balanced with Belgian spicy phenols resembling clove and pepper. alcohol is apparent but not hot or even that warming. very low hop flavor and bitterness. finish is somewhat dry with some spiciness dominant along with some sweet breadiness

Mouthfeel: medium body with high-medium carbonation

Notes: very classic dubbel. pretty textbook. not an over-the-top attempt and certainly not lacking in any way

Tasted on - 4/18/11

Aroma - Light hints of dark fruit sweetness

Appearance - Tons of carbonation but no head when poured into a chalice. Reddish cooper in color with a lot of residual carbonation.

Taste - Sweet with a subdued Belgian yeast character. Smooth no hints of alcohol. This is a good beer that I wish I could get more of a a slightly lower price point.

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

Ovila Abbey Dubbel from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.