Best Of Beer Camp: Double IPA - Beer Camp #29 | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Best Of Beer Camp: Double IPA - Beer Camp #29Best Of Beer Camp: Double IPA - Beer Camp #29
3.9/5
Very Good

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by Brent on 05-11-2011

A- Deep gold colored body with a white, puffy head. The size of the cap is good and retention is decent. A few small splotches of lace.

S- Hops lend a nice fruit (citrus, peach) and pine profile, reminds me of West Coast IPAs but not quite as strong overall. A bit earthy and floral as well.

T- Here I get a lot of earthy, floral and pine notes with some citrus fruit and peach. Malt profile is caramel and pretty sweet.

MF- Creamy body with moderate carbonation. Bitterness is at a medium level.

A bit maltier than many West Coast IIPAs. Fairly earthy and floral overall with a tad of the expected citrus and fruit. Definitely a solid, interesting beer worth trying in this mixed pack.

3.27/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle into Portsmouth snifter. 2011.

A: Pours a light apricot with a huge, dense, and oily off-white head that slowly faded into a bubbly thick film that left a solid sheet of lace down the glass.
S: Big stanky notes of herbal hops, grass, musty sweat, and a hint of biscuit dough. Upon further warming this beer smells a lot more like sweaty b.o.
T: Sweeter than the nose suggested but I would not call this beer sweet. Also the sweat isn't as prominent which is good. I get flavors of earthy herbal hop with a touch of flowers and fruit nectar. Finish is full of grass hops and light malt, and the aftertaste is doughy and bitter.
M: Pretty bubbly with ample carbonation on this one. Mouthfeel is soft enough but it's a little rough around the edges. Body is medium and a touch oily.
O: Definitely not an usual ipa for SN. It's a good beer, but this isn't my favorite hop combination. I like its uniqueness though, and I wouldn't mind having this again if the situation called for it. However, there are many other hoppy beer I would buy, some even from SN, before I would purchase this again.

3.7/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle from Pinocchios (media, Pa.) poured a light golden with a small head which settled to an uneven coating. There was some cloudiness and the carbonation was evident. Nose was lemon, pine, caramel, and faint orange. Taste was sweet (caramel) and only mildy bitter. This is not overly complex so there is no “journey” from front to back. There is some tea-like taste left at the end. Body is medium with some stickiness apparent. A decent offering but nothing I would go out of my way for.

3.16/5  rDev -19%

A: The pour is a clear golden color with a big white head.

S: Not exactly my idea IPA aroma. Grassy and floral hops with body odor and mild earthy hops. Some citrus and pine notes, and not really much malt or sweetness, but not terribly good.

T: The flavor is more of the same. Earthy, floral, and grassy hops with a hint of bready malt flavor. Fairly bitter with a lot of pine flavors, but not much else going on.

M: Medium in body and just about medium carbonation.

O: Really disappointing from Sierra Nevada. This was by far the worst beer in the pack.

3.26/5  rDev -16.4%

Poured into a pint glass; bright clear gold with an orange center and a sticky off-white head. Nose is fainter than expected. Sweet bready malts with a slight mango hoppiness. Needs to be much more forward. Flavor is brighter but not in the right area. The pale malt stands out and the bitterness is very appreciable but where is the hop character? There's a whisper of perfumey stone fruit midpalate but I'm left wanting more. All bitterness and no flavor. Mouthfeel is rather nice and dry, no complaints there.

3.83/5  rDev -1.8%

A: pours a bright clear gold with dense white head, heavy lacing

S: lemon and lime citric hops to start, some faint notes of pine, sturdy malt backbone comes out as well with notes of bread and caramel. Doesn't seem as hop forward as I would expect, but it smells like there's a nice balance.

T: malts come through first with a slight hint of sweetness followed by some bread and caramel, the hops come in much more resinous and piney than the nose suggests, big bitter finish

MF: high carbonation, medium body

O: nice drinkable double IPA from Sierra Nevada. Reminds me of an imperial version of SNPA. I am very impressed with the Beer Camp mixed 12 pack. All 4 beers are very solid.

3.7/5  rDev -5.1%

Pours a light gold color with a nice fluffy white head.

Aromas are stinky (in a good way) green and resiny, with some pine, cream, and slight hints of grapefruits. I could see this nose being love/hate, I like it.

Taste is a bit tart, dry, and dusty up front. Light creamy malts, and hints of hard candies linger a bit in the background. The finish is strong and stands out, lot of hoppy flavors, green resin, floral, dry, with some pine and grapefruits.

Mouthfeel Is good, full, and fairly smooth.

Overall, a bit of a miss for Sierra on this one,. It's far from a bad beer, but it lacks balance, and it is mostly just a hoppy double IPA with not much maltiness. I prefer Hoptimum, and REALLY prefer Hopsichord.

3.6/5  rDev -7.7%

Got this in the beer camp sampler pack. This beer pours a golden orange color with visible carbonation and just a slight bit of haze. The head is about one finger tall and leaves some decent lacing in my glass. The first smell to reach my nose was a strong citrus. In the front of the taste I caught those orange citrus, but it seems overly sweet. Surprisingly I caught strong pine notes and caramel malt. The mouthfeel is appropriate for a DIPA. Overall this is a decent beer, but I wouldn't buy it outside of this mix-pack.

2.83/5  rDev -27.4%

Got a 12 pack of the Beer Camp from Sierra Nevada. Love them and this is fun an exciting. Yea!

Lots of head on this one. Also, this is very light in color. At least more than most DIPA's

Didn't love the smell. There was a bit of an unpleasant, but faint skunk smell. It's like hops that went a little sour or something. It doesn't ruin the beer, but it's there.

The bitterness of the hops are very prominent. A bit too much bitter and not enough malt balance. DIPAs are going to have lots of hops, but this one doesn't really have that floral or citrus taste that they usually have. I don't really know what does that, but I always assumed it was the type of hops. In the best IPAs I think part of that hops flavor is also balanced by subtle but present malt back that keeps the bitter in check. This is a bit too front heavy, but I still love me some hops, so I'm not complaining. Much.

Feels like a DIPA should. Nice feel.

Overall, it's an okay DIPA, but since it IS a DIPA I still love drinking it. I have a hard time saying it's average, since the majority of DIPAs I would rate fairly high. But, it's also not the worst DIPA I've had.

A: Poured from the bottle into a Duvel tulip. Body is hazy golden with a small off-white head. Settles to leave good lace.

S: Not too strong - some grapefruit rind and pine over caramel malt.

T: Some sugary sweetness up front, then caramel malt. Touch of spice. Finishes with grapefruit and piney hops - and a lingering citrusy (lemony) bitterness. Balanced.

M: Medium-to-heavy in heft. Smooth and dry.

O: Good. Doesn't blow me away, but it's an easy-drinking DIPA that's on the dry side rather than the juicy side.

3.6/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Gonna start kicking down my reviews every time so that the average is closer to C...

anyway, this beer looks quite to style...Pretty much everything is as it should be for a Double IPA. Slightly hazy amber, nice carbonation. A bit of a soapy head, rather than a creamy one, so that's a bit of a downer. Very slight to no lacing.

Nose is heavy with the hops...Lots of resinous notes, along with grapefruit juice...

Flavor is upfront and aggressivly hopped...Hops carries through the whole drink. Good malt backbone and carbonation make this a fairly well-rounded beer, and it's not as Left Coast hoppy as some of the regional standards. Good beer and really well-priced as part of the beer camp 12-pak $19/12 beers...8.5% ABV is excellent.

This would have been all 4s except for my new round everything down a step method...

What I like most: The nice balance in the flavor profile.

What I like least: The lack of substantial nuance to the beer.

Verdict: very good beer but nothing super-unique. Well worth the price so find and buy.

3.53/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

499th review on BA
bottle to taster
@ Bevmo

App- This one was a nice darker yellow with a little bit of shiny highlights with a one finger head, and it leaves a bit of cling in the glass.

Smell- This was a bit of a malt bomb to my nose. I took a whiff and was just blasted. Really all I got but you could sense it was a bigger DIPA.

Taste- A very big malty IPA, with a small amount of citrus, piney hops. Leaves me wanting more balance to it.

Mouth- Medium bodied and medium carbonated with a lasting malt aftertaste, a little bit of caramel.

Drink- It's good but not to what I like. I like this idea of releasing the best ones in a 12 pk. Cheers to SN for that. I probably wont come back to this.

Another Rapture review.

A: A slightly hazy grapefruit color, like beams of light raining through the atmosphere to pick out the souls of the saved. A massive foamy head on this, like sea foam on the coasts of heavenly beaches.

S: Resinous pine, and a touch of citrus. This must be what angels breath smells like after they eat juniper and caramel.

T: A smack of bitterness in the face, like the realization that you forget to go to penance last week. Sweet caramel notes. A strong piney flavor, similar to what I assume God's toothpaste tastes like.

M: Medium in body, and carbonation seems good.

O: Overall I would like to see more hop flavor, and a touch less bitterness. I was not aware that a tongue scrapping was a pre-req for entry to the pearly gates. Still pretty good.

3.31/5  rDev -15.1%

One of the four out of the Beer Camp Mix this year.

A: Golden in the body. Amber colored closer to the top of the beer. I prefer my DIPA's to be more amber than blonde, but that is just a personal preference. A nice two finger head as died down leaving some nice lacing reminding me of where the head began.

S: I wish there were more citrus hops. I'm picking up some more pine needle like hop presence. Make no mistake, this is a hoppy beer, but it doesn't overdue the citrus notes. With so many IPA's accentuating the citrus quality of hops, I find this as a nice reminder of what a DIPA can taste with another variety of hops.

T: The taste has more if the citrus that was absent from the nose. That continues on to a little sweetness, rounding out with quite a lot of bitterness.

M: There is a nice amount of carbonation. With the beer not very syrupy as most DIPA's are I found the carbonation to be quite adequate, leaving a dry finish, enticing me to consume more.

Overall, this is a nice addition to the beer camp mix. Not my favorite out of the selections, but a very decent DIPA at a desirable price.

I was quite pleased to see the 12 pack of the Beer Camp selection on the shelves, and at only $17, I felt like that was a pretty good deal for SN. Review is from notes taken on 5/20/2011 and poured from the bottle to a pint glass.

Appearance: Pour is a bright, lemony/gold color and it starts with a bit 2 finger fluffy and creamy off-white head; body has pretty decent clarity and it shows moderately strong carbonation bubbling up from below; head has good retention and leaves some pillow strands and swaths of lacing as it slowly fades:

Smell: Pretty solid smell, hop forward as anyone would expect -- strong citrus aspects (lemon, grapefruit) with just a touch of a skunky scent, but not skunky in the bad way, just like a big hopped up beer (probably not the best descriptor); slightly sweet and grainy maltiness in the back provides a bit of balance to the nose.

Taste: Big hop forward presence, and it comes across a little raw and spicy; definite citric presence and a bit of a grassy/skunky bitterness to it in the back (again, not in a bad way); the malt backing provides minimal balance, essentially reinforcing the West Coast in this one and allowing the hops to shine through. I feel that I may like this one a bit more with a few more weeks on it to take some of the raw burn out of the hoppiness as I'm more of a mid-west kind of guy, but this is still very good and I'm glad to have tried it.

Mouthfeel: Body is of medium weight; damn, this beer is sticky -- like glue in the mouth from the hop resin hanging around -- the entire palate is left with tacky, semi-dry coating; belly is left warm from the acidity and relatively high ABV; carbonation is fitting of the style and comes across smooth and allows the thicker body to remain a little creamy.

Overall: I enjoyed it quite a bit, and would enjoy having it again. I'm glad it came with three in the box as I want to let the others sit for a few weeks and see how the hops change with just a touch more time in the bottle. A nice beer for the summer months, refreshing bitterness and a happy bit of alcohol to round out the night.

3.88/5  rDev -0.5%

A: Mostly clear golden in color. Roughly a finger or so of while head. Leaves a slight film with a few larger bubbles. Nice lacing.

S: Pine, slight tropical fruit like smells. Seems to have a mixture of pale and toasted malts.

T: Pine, tropical fruit, some peachiness. A good bit of grassy quality to this which is a surprise as I didn't catch it in the nose. Also has some tea like flavors. Finishes with a peppery flavor that I like.

M: On the creamy side. Dry and a little sticky.

O: Very drinkable as the 8.5% doesn't come into play in smell or taste. Not a world class DIPA by any means, but very servicable.

3.97/5  rDev +1.8%

Reviewed blind as part of the Blind Beer BIF #5. Poured into a snifter

A: Golden yellow hue. Initial pour yields a 1/2 finger white head. Over a few minutes this decreases to a thin bubbly head (3.5)

S: Grass, earthy hops, some pine and floral notes. Possibly some lemon. Maybe onion? I'm guessing this is a pale ale just by the smell (4)

T: Big piney flavor right up front. That was unexpected. However, this is brief. Switches over to pale malt before finishing with a fair amount of bitterness. About half way through I start picking up a peppery flavor. Now I'm thinking this might be a Belgian strong pale (4)

M: Medium bodied. Crisp, sharp carbonation. Residual bitterness (4)

D: Pretty solid beer, whatever the style it is. Crisp, easy drinking. No real sign of it being a high ABV but something tells me it might (4)

3.76/5  rDev -3.6%

Last of the Beer Camp series for me.Poured into a nonic clear light to medium golden with a rather large white head that left multiple broken rings of lace as it settled into a soapy-like mass.Alot of sweet caramel and sweet alcohol in the nose it nearly outshines the grapefruit rind hop aromas,it gets a little boozy as it sits more.Big caramle sweetness at the onset flavor wise,a little sugary sweetness that comes with alot of the beers of the style,what makes this beer good is a big rush of grapefruit-like hops in the finish,and its big.Its big and sweet but the hops finally come in to make this a pretty good beer.

3.97/5  rDev +1.8%

12oz bottle from the Beer Camp mix 12. Pours a cloudy golden amber color with a small amount of head. Some lacing. Complex hoppy aroma. Picking up on some tropical fruits, pine, citrus and some alcohol. Smells great but almost has a bit of stink on it. Taste is a lot different than I thought after smelling it. Bitter and dry right away. Tasting mostly pine hops and none of the citrus and tropical fruits I smelled. Very dry finish. I can taste the ABV. This was the beer I was looking forward to trying the most from the pack. Overall, this beer is damn good and would hope to see it again in the future.

3.58/5  rDev -8.2%

Pours a slightly hazy amber with two fingers of white foam, rings of delicate lacing left behind. Smell: floral, grassy, lemon peel. Hop heavy with just a little pale malt sweetness in the back, but not the most exciting hop aroma. Taste: grapefruit and lemon rind, a bit spicy, mildly sweet pale/pils, soft pine and a little husky towards the finish. Medium bodied, fluffy feel. Finishes with a nice lingering bitterness. Reminded me a little of Hop Wallop. Bottled April 19.

3.68/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle into Duvel tulip. From the 2011 Beer Camp sampler pack.

Appearance: Free pour yields a two and a half inch frothy white head that dissipates steadily leaving a substantial web of tight lacing. Pours a hazy light orange and leaves rings and swatches of dish-soap-like lacing.

Smell: Mildly dank tropical fruit and peach reminiscent hops, with some pine and citrus notes. Hint of booziness. Smells very fresh and hoppy.

Taste: Lemony and soapy up front, with some milder tropical fruit notes. Lots of toasted, almost dark malt in the finish-- I like it. Heavy, style-appropriate, piny bitterness (if anything is spot on here, it's the bitterness level). Well hidden alcohol.

This beer is solid, but not amazing. The tropical fruit flavor works well with the heavy malt backbone, but there's not enough malt flavor. The soapiness of the flavor wants to be tempered by some full, fruity or citrusy hoppiness that unfortunately just doesn't come through. The sweetness is a little too high as well, with the lack of dryness in the finish not helping matters.

This is a good IPA, but it's not coming together for me. The smell promises greatness, but the taste leaves me longing for some of the things I'm smelling in the beer, and a little disappointed by some of the outright flaws and imbalances. I don't want to overstate its weakness though; there's some good, fresh flavors here, and the heavy bitterness is very satisfying for the hop lover.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied. Good carbonation, slightly creamy. Tiny bit of dryness in finish, but not enough.

Overall: Solid but flawed beer. That it's one of the most popular American styles (meaning that I've tasted a lot of beers that do what this one attempts to, better) doesn't help things.

This DIPA has a fair amount to suggest it (good nose, nice big bitterness, great toasted malt backbone, some pretty good hop flavors), and for the equivalent price of $6.67 per 4pack (comes in a $20 12pk) it's a spectacular deal nowadays. Still, there are many stronger examples of the style available.

4.05/5  rDev +3.8%

A-Pours a yellowish amber hue. The beer is murky and pretty light in color, especially for a double IPA. Smallish head that does maintain its stature. Thin, yet persistent lacing.

S-Lighter aroma. Citrus, floral, a bit piney. Some lightly sweet malts as well. Some clear grains are there too. Overall, not extremely aromatic, especially for a double, but it does display some nice scents.

T-There is some pretty legitimate bitterness here. The flavor exceeds the nose in my opinion. Long lasting bitter taste. Starts out with some heavy pine. Each sip adds some new flavor. As the beer sits, more fruity and citrus notes come out to play. The sweet malt and light grain flavors are detected as well.

M-Medium body, somewhat slick. Well carbonated. Overall, a pretty decent feel.

O/D-Very drinkable at %8.5. Three of these out of a 12 pack from the Beer Camp is perfect. I have read a few reviews and they have been comparing and contrasting this to Torpedo. I definitely have some trouble choosing which one I like better. I would like to do a side-by-side. This beer is pretty good. Maybe after the third I will have a more definitive opinion on this one.

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

Poured from the bottle into a clean pint glass.

Poured a nice, medium dark amber in color with slight haze.

Smell - dark and piney hop goodness hits the nose first. Lots of citrus hoppy goodness.

Taste - I think this is an almost perfect mix between Celebration and Torpedo. It reminds me of Celebration right up front...the middle has that piney/citrus notes and the end is very dry, bitter and hoppy. So maybe it's similar to a mix of Celebration, Torpedo and Pale ale. It's very delicious either way. I really love this beer.

Mouthfeel - Medium with signature Sn carbonation, very pleasing.

Overall - I would drink this all year around. Very well done DIPA. Awesome DIPA that is slightly different than the other DIPA's. Definitely a winner.

3.58/5  rDev -8.2%

A: pours a golden honey color.. bright white 2 finger head.. expected this brew to be more hazy, but its rather quite clear..

S: the hops are definitely there.. herbal notes mixed with fruity esters.. almost like a honey aroma as well.. cracker malt

T: has almost like a spicy hop bite upfront.. more of that general fruity flavor.. good deep malt backbone to balance.. finish is dry bitter pine with hints of citrus rinds..

Mf: medium to full bodied.. thin carbonation.. some heat from the alcohol is present..

O: overall I wanna love this brew, but i can't.. its not bad, I just expected more from Sierra Nevada..

12oz bottle poured into a Bruery tulip.

A - Pours a near perfectly clear light golden orangey color with a finger of fluffy white head that slowly fades to the surface leaving behind some foamy lacing and a thick foamy collar.

S - Definitely hop forward - bitter with lots of flowery and perfumey hop aromas as well as some pine and to a lesser extent - citrus. Smells good and fresh too. Very light malt underpinnings with light grain and breadiness, a touch of yeast and a pinch of sugar too.

T - Firm bitterness with a lot of fruity hoppiness that fades to a more earthy flavor (which adds intensity as it warms) mixed with pine. Bitterness is a bit harsh and abrubt and lingers behind everything else fading to a sharp and almost medicinal bitterness in the finish. Quite dry and I'm gonna say this could benefit from a bit of sweetness to smooth out the hops a bit. This is more bitter than flavorful with hoppy nuances...

M - A bit of booziness, followed by a firm hoppy bitterness that lasts for the duration. Medium bodied with an assertive carbonation level that really tingles the whole mouth. A bit oily slick and resiny sticky as well.

O - Pretty good overall but not outstanding. This makes me think back to my engineering school days where this would be called a BFI (Brute Force & Ignorance) type DIPA. I'm gonna leave out the Ignorance part, but this is definitely a brute force DIPA - it is really very bitter. It is pretty good, but seems to be lacking in the refinement of the little details and nuances that makes a good beer great. I'd easily have more of these, but I find it a bit lacking in nuance and complexity of hop flavors that I really look for in a great example of the style.

Best Of Beer Camp: Double IPA - Beer Camp #29 from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.