Weizenbock - Beer Camp #37 (Best Of Beer Camp) | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Weizenbock - Beer Camp #37 (Best Of Beer Camp)Weizenbock - Beer Camp #37 (Best Of Beer Camp)
83%
Liked This Beer
3.99 w/ 612 ratings

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

3.25/5  rDev -18.5%

3.94/5  rDev -1.3%

Appearance- Received with a bunch of head which is bulging from the pint glass and looks to have really good retention. The head is a light beige while the body is a dark brown which shows as a light dark brown with a hazy yellowish brown base when held up to the light. The retention is quite persistent. The lacing is practically sheeting with rings of lighter sheeting.

Nose- Initially, I get lots of banana. The cloves are faint and I hope that continues on the palate. Very warm and well rounded banana. Light apple notes start to come out.

Taste- It does appear that the palate is pretty reflective of the nose. The banana is pervasive and pretty much takes up the entire flavor profile. There are some cloves but they act as more of a counterpoint. Light bubblegum to caramel to oddly compatible popcorn taste. This is mostly on the finish. I haven't had a lot of Wiezenbocks but if they are like this one, I will be trying more. I've had the top two on Beer Advocate and I will definitely be searching out more, especially Ayinger's. I was skeptical about the rating of 4 on Beer Advocate and attributed it to Sierra Nevada love but this beer is pretty much that good. Some coriander and cinnamon with light pepper on the finish gives this a little bit more character. I'm fine with a beer being mostly dominated by banana but I need a little something extra to keep me drinking. This beer has that. Very light and easy. A good to really good beer that I wish was in bottles. Definitely a step up from some of the phenolic beers that I've had recently. Some grain and wheat but nice and complex phenols make these hard to discern.

Mouthfeel- Just below medium bodied with light to appropriate carbonation. Some smoothness and creaminess. Really shows that Sierra Nevada has gotten this style down.

Drinkability- Very easygoing especially since the cloves are a minor note which contribute to the overall complexity of the beer. I imagine it's standard Sierra Beer Camp prices but even 6 bucks a pint seems reasonable. Alcohol doesn't show at all.

Overall- Good to really good beer which seems to be fairly representative of the style. It's been a while since I've had comparable beers but I seem to recall this is one of the German ale styles that I prefer. Definitely worth a try and a beer I wish to drink again.

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

Weizenbock - Beer Camp #37 (Best Of Beer Camp) from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 83% out of 100 with 612 ratings