Ovila Quad
Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Ovila QuadOvila Quad
Beer Geek Stats: | Print Shelf Talker
Style:
Belgian Quadrupel (Quad)
ABV:
Score:
3.97 | pDev: 10.83%
From:
Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Notes:
Reviews: 203 | Ratings: 738 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by DeFaz:
4.26/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I am truly impressed by this beer. I had a taste of it on tap, and at that time I wasn't able to get enough of it to reflect on all that is going on with it. But after having in a bottle, there really is a lot to appreciate. First, let me say that this will taste to some more like wine than beer. The ABV is on the wine level, and it's dark with fruit flavors. But there's a lot of complexity here, from plum to raisin to the nice Belgian yeast that reminds me vaguely of my favorite Abbey ale (Orval) while taking this to a whole new extreme. This beer is for sipping. While the appearance lacks in the head department and while the smell is relatively uninteresting, the taste really makes this one of the most interesting beers I've had in a long time. The alcohol, which dominates the nose, is well concealed in the taste. This is a great beer that is quite inexpensive for its quality.

Oh, and by the way: This beer does all of the above with an insanely smooth mouthfeel void of an alcohol bite.

3.95/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

It's a great quad, no doubt, but doesn't hold a candle to some of the benchmark guys like St. Bernardus or Rochefort. Pretty solid taste of dark fruit and some spice, but the flavors aren't as diverse or as layered as I would like it. A little hot on the back-end.

4.75/5  rDev +19.6%

4.16/5  rDev +4.8%

Glass - Tulip

A - A dark mahogany colored brew with little clarity. One-finger head. No lacing left on my glass.

S - I got alcohol, cherry and a general tartness upfront. It was dry with a bit of mustiness that I think was coming from the yeast. I also got a slight almond and some faint cocoa.

T - I picked up that same alcoholic, cherry, tartness that I smelled. Star anise, clove and herbal/leafy like hop flavors followed. It finishes with subtle bitterness and lingering clove, cinnamon and alcohol. It tasted smooth and very soft.

M - Moderate crispness and a smooth feel. Around medium bodied.

O - Overall I thought the beer was well rounded, and very drinkable. It was a very simple beer to me, nothing really jumped out at me in the flavor, just a very mellow and balanced brew. For the price I probably wouldn't buy it again, but I'd drink it again for sure.

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

4.5/5  rDev +13.4%

3.88/5  rDev -2.3%

Pours dark brown and opaque with plum/mahogany edges and a two finger light beige head that slowly settles into a lasting ring. Streaks of soapy lacing left behind.

spicy, vinous aroma with lots of estery dark fruit notes and slightly roasted malt.  Slightly medicinal with hints of pepper, plum, raisin, dark cherry and other berries.  Faint caramel malt.

Medium bodied and fuller than expected with a nice balance of zesty spice, sweet and dark fruit and slightly roasted malt. Hints of pepper and clove followed by sweet vinous fruit especially grape, plum, raisin and dark cherry.  More prominent malt character than expected with some caramel, toffee and chocolate.  Subtle alcohol and rye spiciness in finish. Well balanced wih an excellently masked Abv making it deceptively drinkable.  Realy nice.  Wasn't into the dubble but this was very good.

4.47/5  rDev +12.6%

Great looking beer, nice head, pours like a dream. Love the smell, sweet and rich. A bit of a hint of yeast. A very good taste a I drank it just a touch warmer that I would have liked but the flavor is still very much present of sweet malt. A bit more carbonated than I would have liked but it does help to open up the flavors and and does feel very good going down. Over all I would say really good beer. I would recommend as a desert type.

3.85/5  rDev -3%

A - Pours a murky, rusty brown with a 2 finger tan head.

S - I'm not getting a lot besides caramel, candied sugars & dark fruits.

T - Candied malts, slightly bready, roasted caramel and a dab of dark fruits.

M - Medium bodied & carbonation.

O - Not a stellar quad but one that is above the median of the group, IMO.

Ovila Quad from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 89 out of 100 with 738 ratings