Ovila Quad | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Ovila QuadOvila Quad
3.96/5
Very Good
Ovila QuadOvila Quad

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

Added by mikechance on 10-29-2011

4.92/5  rDev +24.2%

Wow, smells like I'm pouring bananas! The beer is quite dark with a fine, almost creamy head. It looks to be deep red when shown to the light, and nearly opaque on the table.

The initial pop of bananas has been subdued a bit, but other smells, such as the hops, are coming through. A faint fruitiness can be rustled up with enough force.

The taste is incredibly smooth, especially at the ABV of 10.4%. This can't be that strong, can it!? The fruit on mid-palate really smooths the drink out and gives it subtle, but not subdued flavor.

Mouthfeel is pleasant and balanced. A great beer to sip on at the dinner table.

This is one of a few "pricey" beers that I would definitely recommend to my friends. The combination of all the senses really makes this beer special in my eyes.

4.9/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

I loved this beer. A 2012 bottle I found in a local bottle shop... The bottle is just pretty, there's no other way to put it.

The beer though, man, it's a simple Belgian Quad, nothing special. I love how simple it is though.

If I saw another bottle I'd pick it up.

4.83/5  rDev +22%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

My eager young cadet Beer Advocate shared this beer with me that he bought. I told him I am very hit or miss with quads so better to split a bottle then do a flat out trade as it might be risk of drain pour. So this one was a definite hit. For over 10% it is very smooth and not boozy at all. Very buttery mouthfeel. Lots of fruit complexity mixed in here with the usual raisin, fig flavor etc. I find this quad as well made as some of the best from Belgium. Very high caliber quad. Thanks for sharing with me my eager young Beer advocate!

4.75/5  rDev +19.9%

Ovila Quad from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.