Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPASierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Availability: Spring

Added by kaseydad on 12-29-2011

Reviews: 1,117 | Ratings: 5,072
4.35/5  rDev +11%

This is the first rye ipa I have had.
Great hop flavor, very smooth and ballanced. With some spice notes thats a little different from other ipa's I have had.
Nice copper color, and the carbonation is just right. I will be looking foward to this realease every year now, very good.

4.35/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This is the first Rye beer I've tried I think.. But so far so good.

A- considering it's in a bottle and I'm not gonna pour it out just to see it, this makes a this part a little difficult. But... I did pour just a sliver into a glass and it had a nice copper color.

S- the smell was good but there wasn't a lot there. I'm sure if I had a glass I would've enjoyed the smell more. But from what I did pick up, I could tell it was going to be a stronger first taste than I thought.

T- the first taste was spicy (if that's how you use that term). Definitely a little kick. Once that taste starts to leave you get hit simultaneously with a bitter orangey flavor that is just amazing.

M- once I was able to give my mouth a tour, it was just dieing for more! All of the flavors work well together.

O- so far, Sierra Nevada hasn't let me down. This is definitely a very great brew. I would have no problems buying a six pack or suggesting this to friends and family.

4.35/5  rDev +11%

Dark amber body with a light but frothy head.

Nose is sharp and spicy. Rye character is the operative thing here.

Tastes just like it smells. Sharp, tangy, spicy, with a hop bite on the finish. Thirst quenching while still being very flavorful. Just an outstanding balance of rye, hops and top-notch brewing ability. Another huge win for SN, in my opinion!

Tart and quenching. Slightly toothy from the hops. Love this beer on my tongue!

Overall drinkability is really good. SN doesn't make a bad beer, but I like this one even more than the rest of their lineup.

This is a beer for food. Chili, Nachos, BBQ, even a Bacon Cheeseburger with seasoned fries. Plenty of flavor and character to work well with intense flavors.

2013 bottle

Very deep amber/ almost brown with offwhite head

Smells of citrusy hops and some hearty grain

Taste is very balanced being slightly hop forward but fading quickly to a grain aftertaste

Nice full mouthfeel with good carbonation

I really like this beer and will drink quite alot of this over the next few months

4.35/5  rDev +11%

I first tasted the Ruthless Rye IPA in my home poured from a bottle into a freezing pint glass, good pour, head about a inch thick. I wasn't sure what to expect from this Rye IPA, but I was pleasantly surprised. It was hoppy, and got a smell and taste of Citrus, which in my opinion was a great blend. I've recently drank SN Torpedo and Celebration Ale, which I loved both and wasn't disappointed by the Ruthless Rye Ale at all. Excellent brew, I recommend strongly. I do think it tastes better from a cold(or very cold) pint glass.

4.35/5  rDev +11%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 12 oz beer. This poured with next to no head and only minimal lacing around the glass. The beer itself is a medium amber color, very reddish with fairly apparent carbonation. It almost looks like an amber ale.

The nose here is very peppery. The rye malt really works well with the hops and are noticeable in equal measure. The hops are a little bit piney (minimmally so) and quite pleasant.

The first thing that hits the palate is hoppy bitterness, much more so than I would have expected just from the nose alone. The initial bitterness lingers on the palate quite ahile and really never dissipates, to be hoenst, its one of the bitterest IPA's I've ever had.

Overrall this beer is just great, solid nose, taste, and mouthfeel. For $9.99 a sixer its also a great value. I will definitely be purchasing this beer again when it comes out next spring!

4.35/5  rDev +11%

a: This was a dark, golden caramel color. It poured with a large, sticky, very creamy head.

s: Plenty of citrusy pine with a surprisingly noticeable spicy rye backbone.

t: There is a hint of caramel sweetness up front that is quickly pushed aside by a wave biting rye and earthy, pungent hoppiness.

m: Thick and chewy.

o: Another reasonably priced, excellent IPA from SN. Love those guys.

4.35/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle poured into glass. Another awesome beer from Sierra Nevada. This is a super earthy IPA made from rye. The appearance is amazing, with a really crisp dark color to it. It is a brownish amber that pours a decent head.

The taste is amazing, but a little mellow for an IPA. The rye really makes this beer have a rustic flavor, and although the taste of hops are present, they do not linger at all. The taste is not malty either, but a clean, heavy taste that is extremely drinkable for such a beer.

The final verdict is that this beer is incredible. I feel that Sierra Nevada makes really great beers that are accessible enough for novice beer drinkers, yet will please basically anyone that enjoys an amazing beer. Defiantly check this out if you haven't yet.

4.35/5  rDev +11%

12 oz bottle, packaged on Dec. 30th if I'm reading the date code correctly. The pour doesn't yield much of a head, but there is some lasting soapy froth. Dark copper, almost amber in color with high clarity. The smell of signature Sierra Nevada hops are apparent, much like the orignal Pale Ale itself. Sharp, piney notes from the hops are well paired with a grainy, rye cracker character.

The key to the flavor here is good balance. The hops are not over the top, and the bitterness is at a good solid level, building after the finish. This is not a sweet IPA. The rye malt is lightly-dry, with a peppery, biscuity taste, and only touches of fruit in the far background. I like that the alcohol is not even a factor here, and the drinkability is through the roof. The mouthfeel is crisp with a rather zesty carbonation. Not too heavy or too light in body.

This is a top notch ale from a brewery that never lets you down. I'm just wondering, what if this was a hard to find, special release? If Three Floyds was the name on it I bet the rating would be sky high. Just imagine if your local brewery did something like this. You would be pretty amazed. But this is par for the course for Sierra Nevada and I suppose most folks will just think it's decent. As for me, I'm going to drink alot of this while it's available...

4.34/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

So this was another first for me . The beer poured a copper color with a finger width head. The smell is a nice balance of malt and hops. The rye really shines through in the taste and the flavor overall was very enjoyable. I would definitely recommend this beer.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

ooooh i love this time of the year because i get to try the ruthless rye from snbc

ok here it goes picked up a fresh 6pack from my local deli on way back home from work

pours deep red color and nice white head aroma is a bit faint but getting some figs in there allong with some of the great juicy hops you would expect from sierra but also i get some spice in there kind o like nutmeg maybe its the rye?

and here we go with the taste very smooth i would say drinkable like a rye ipa but having more complexity and depth

the mouthfeel was the winner here it definitely popped out at you like a big explosion of depth but not too cloying

overall i like it and will seek it out again next year

4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

Clear amber color. About four centimeters of head, left pretty lacing behind. Still a nice head after a few minutes passed.

Strong rye smell right when I opened the bottle. Balanced with some citrusy aromas.

Spicy rye in the face. There's some sweetness to balance it out and notes of orange/citrus fruit zest. I can detect some piney undertones. Interesting combination of flavors, I really dig it.

Moderate carbonation and I definitely would not have guessed that it's 6.6% ABV.

If you're into rye, give this a buy. Especially if you're a fan of Sierra Nevada's Torpedo. I didn't expect to enjoy this beer so much, glad I picked it up!

4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to a brandy snifter glass.

Pours a nice burnt ruby red, crystal clear with a 2 finger frothy foam that thins to a slimy sticky film left all over the glass. First on the nose, the citrus from the hops grapefruit, mango, peaches, then the rye kicks in with a perfect bready balance. Caraway seeds soaked in grapefruit juice is what i keep getting when i stick my nose in, impressed. The mouth is much the same very bready from the rye, and the piny, citrus hops just fill the body and the finish, a slight amount of booze sneaking its way in too. Medium bodied, semi tart/bitter, tons of fruit and rye characters throughout, finishes dry and begging for more. This beer was quite impressive for me i have to admit, and has definitely changed the way i see rye beers, hope they make this a regular seasonal.

4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass, bottled late Dec 2011. This pours a slightly dark amber, large foamy tan head which leaves a lacing. The smells are of hops, pine, a little caramel and some rye. The feel Is medium. The taste is great a nice bitterness, an earthy nice after taste, love it.

4.33/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A- Clear orange with some brown tones. The head starts two finger thick and laces nicely.

S- Very rich aroma. It's spicy, earthy, woody, with caramel undertones. There's just something very clean about the aroma.

T- It starts off thick and slightly sweet before transitioning into spicy, peppery, and bitter. The beer leaves a clean feeling in your mouth. There is a little graininess and dryness from the rye, but it's not overpowering. It's an extremely well balanced rye beer. This is one of my favorite rye beers I've had yet.

M- Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. The rye also adds some sharpness.

O- Very delicious and well balanced.

4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

clear and amber with little carbonation bubbles, the head was thick with very small tight foam, just slightly off-white.

smells very strong of rye and hops.

rye spiciness followed by a hoppy bitterness with just a touch of alcohol in the finish, despite the strong flavor it was very refreshing on a warm day.

hoppy bitterness lingers on the pallet, a very clean refreshing beer, not too carbonated or syrupy thick.

A great beer for summer, was delicious with a plate of pulled pork BBQ. clean, light and grassy with a distinct flavor of rye.

4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

Sierra did it again. This is an excellent IPA or RyePA.

Don't be too freaked by the spicy notes. It's subtle. Terrific balance of bitter hops and sweet, spicy malt/grain. Smells very nice, but taste is the thing here. Very fresh and refreshing brew. Not overly heavy or cloying. Again, very balanced profile. Alcohol is well hidden and after a few sneaks up on you.

Enjoying one now with a roast beef, cheddar, horseradish on rye. Very good beer with bold flavored food.

My highest compliments to a beer well done!

4.33/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance
Deep- yet clear amber color tinted copper, medium-think head, good lacing
Smell
Pine and hops. Rye, malts and a hint of alcohol
Taste
Delicious, the bitterness kicks in, its raw and aggressive feeling but not overly so. There’s a complex blend of flavors the malt, rye, hops which makes for a really good beer
Overall
I first picked this up because, well- the package looks kick ass. I had never seen it before and they only had it by the 12 pack, so of course I bought it. Once I had my first one I was hooked and went right back out to buy another case, fearing it would be too late if I waited. I definitely recommend this, I always enjoy it.

-BeerandWhiskeyHQ.com

4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

I poured it into a pint glass. It was a nice sight indeed, pleasant copper/amber color, a little hazy, with an inch thick, fluffy head. It smells quite good too, some rye (I compared the scent to a loaf of rye bread, just to see how it compared), and a lot of spice, floral and citrus. The taste was really similar to the smell, a lil' spiciness with more of a hoppy taste, didn't get the rye quite as much in the nose. The hops were the predominate taste at first, with a bitter finish. It was mildly carbonated and surprising really drinkable and smooth.
This was my first Rye IPA and because of this, I'm definitely gonna check out some more!

4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

Pours a gorgeous amber with thick creamy head. Nose is floral, herbal, and peppery. The rye certainly shines through nicely, giving it a pleasant hearty rye-grain taste with the assertive hop profile coming right in afterwards. Great balance and interplay of malt and hop flavors.

4.32/5  rDev +10.2%

Gift from a friend. Thanks Nic!
Poured clear copper, amber with some reddish tones. Nice frothy with head leaving a sticky lacing. Very Nice look!
N: Citrusy, grapefruit is dominant. Clementine scent on the sweet side. Pine. Crisp scent.
M: Wow! Crisp, surprisingly dry mouth. Carbonation is medium high, almost fizzy on tongue. Medium body.
T: Smooth upfront but bitterness quickly bites in. A little bit more on the english side of an IPA than the american side, but still very american in character. Orange flavour, slight roasted caramel. Rye is present, although I'm not very familiar with this taste.

Overall, a very good IPA, probably because this bottle is very fresh. Would seek it to buy it again. Another very nice beer from Sierra Nevada.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

This beer always gives me the knarliest farts. They fucking stink too. The beer's good, and the 6.6% always leaves my liver working hard to make me sober enough to work the next morning. I like the fact that I can drink a bunch of it, fart enough to make my domain a gas chamber, then wake up and walk out of the room without noticing the deadly smell that the beer gave me. It leaves a chalky hungover taste in your mouth after you drink 10 and wake up without brushing your teeth, but that's the life of a true alcoholic. An alcoholic's beer if the ABV were a touch higher and the farts were a bit stinkier.

4.32/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Like everybody else I could go on and on about this ale. It's great, no doubt about it. My only question is, "How do I really know what rye tastes like"? It would be nice if somebody brought out a "simple" rye beer or ale without all the hops just to let's know.

4.32/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured into strait pint glass. Dark reddish brown with an orange glow. Awesome nose, lots of spice and rye. Taste has an admirable balance, not too bitter, the raw rye flavor shines through, a bit of sourness, cranberry. What a solid, drinkable brew. Not harsh, smooth, incredibly drinkable

4.32/5  rDev +10.2%

Pours a clear orange-garnet with a 2 finger off-white head, leaving lace clinging to the top of the glass.

With the rye and the citrussy hoppiness, the nose has a massive fruity character- red grapefruit, black raspberry, baked peach, passion fruit- with hits of pine.

Medium bodied palate seems to be weighted a touch more towards IPA than rye- slick upfront with more ruby red grapefruit that lets the rye through on the finish, toasty, drying out with more spice and bread notes- lingering flavors of pepper and grapefruit.

Overall, a really nicely done rye brew. I think I like the styles that lean a little more to the rye side, but this piney SN take is pretty damn good. The peppery spice mingling with the tart red grapefruit on the finish really makes it for me.

Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.