Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPASierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA
3.89/5
Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPASierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American IPA

Availability: Spring

Added by kaseydad on 12-29-2011

Ratings: 5,097 |  Reviews: 1,123

3.98/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

2013 poured into an Intuition pint glass at 28 degrees

A: Pours a deep amber, almost slightly hazy orange color. Very inviting

S: Smells bitter, little bit funky goodness, can definately get the rye out of it but overall leaves you wanting more.

T: Strong rye on the nose with some vanilla and piney hoppy notes on the back of the tongue. It finishes surprisingly clean and smooth for the amount of pungent hops on the nose. I could session this beer without issues at all.

M: Mouthfeel is good, nothing overwhelming but thats what I like in a pale or or IPA. The dryness at the end is what I expect of a rye IPA. Its very clean.

O: I enjoy this beer as a winter wonderland to temporarily replace Torpedo Extra IPA. The rye is fresh and clean, delivering a dry finish and leaves you wanting more...which is exactly what you can do when you finish the beer and its a mistake if you don't get another. Rivals Rich and Dans Rye IPA for me (had it fresh at the brewery) but doesnt quite live up to Hop Rod.

3.25/5  rDev -16.5%

4.35/5  rDev +11.8%

2013 bottle

Very deep amber/ almost brown with offwhite head

Smells of citrusy hops and some hearty grain

Taste is very balanced being slightly hop forward but fading quickly to a grain aftertaste

Nice full mouthfeel with good carbonation

I really like this beer and will drink quite alot of this over the next few months

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

A: Reddish-orange amber, with ample, clingy lacing that sticks all over the glass.
S: Hints of grain and a clean, fresh sensation I associate with rye.
T: The bready malts seem sweeter and more sugary than the 2012 batch. Fruit with hints of
orange and spice lead up to the piney, bitter hops. Bitterness builds the more one drinks,
and lingers pleasantly.
M: Very smooth; carbonation feels "small" and dispersed giving the beer a creamy feeling.
Gives the impression of being lighter than it is, on the tongue.

Overall I prefer the 2012 batch, which I recall being dryer, but 2013 is very enjoyable. I like the relative extremes of sweetness and bitterness. It's seasonally appropriate and more subtle than most other winter brews.

3.5/5  rDev -10%

4.03/5  rDev +3.6%

Bottle to nonic, 2012 version, just under 4 weeks old.

Well I don't know what happened. A release-year later and I'm not getting the same impression at all as I did last year. It's still a really nice beer, but gone is the pop and zing and exciting taste. And that unexpected mint/planty note I liked so much only appears here and there across the ones I've bought this year. At this point I'd call it a well-made, moderately-bitter IPA and can't give it the 4.55 I did last time. Now it's a 4.5, 4, 4, 4, 4. Still a good score but I was so looking forward to this release.

Prior reviews below.

Botttle to nonic. 2011 version, 12 weeks old.

A - 4.5 - Amber. Great-looking thick off white head that sticks around a good while. Lots of lacing.

S - 5.0 - Smells fantastic. So fresh and fragrant. Strangely what I'm reminded of vividly is the green planty note in a fresh-picked mint leaf after you roll it around in your fingers or chew on it - it's not the main mint flavor that shows up in mint-flavored everything else, it's the sort of planty carrier flavor in the leaf. They say they use Chinook and "Experimental" hops as their aroma hops, so maybe it's one of those. I've never smelled it in a beer and I love it. Must... find... others... like this...

T - 4.5 - Tastes fantastic. More of that planty green note from the aroma, which is just mouthwateringly delicious, plus moderate hop bitterness in perfect balance with the rest. The hop bitterness couldn't have been handled better. It's artful. I'm not sure I pick up any rye notes, which is surprising given others' comments here. But I'm tasting this beer right next to a Terrapin Rye Pale Ale that isn't giving me any rye notes either where I've noted them before. So maybe my mouth is just having a no-rye day. And I wanted it. I love a nice peppery rye whiskey. Maybe next time. Otherwise it leaves behind a tasteful lingering bitterness.

M - 4.0 - Starts soft, ends tannic dry on the tongue.

O - 4.5 - I'm in love with this brewery. Everything of theirs I've had is just top quality and so well made. This one is a standout even among the others. POW! Freshness! It beats Torpedo, for example, which is really good. This goes on my very short list of beers that I'll buy over and over for regular drinking when I'm not beer exploring.

EDIT: OK just found a lone straggler in a pick-a-six rack from the same batch, now 18 weeks old, and those wonderful hop characteristics are gone. It's still a nice enough beer to drink but it had magic in it before. Night and day difference. If I had only ever tried this bottle, I'd have rated it a 3.5. Next year I'll try to find it as soon as it's out.

3.5/5  rDev -10%

4.75/5  rDev +22.1%

Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 3.89 out of 5 with 5,097 ratings