Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPASierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American IPA

Availability: Spring

Added by kaseydad on 12-29-2011

Ratings: 5,092 |  Reviews: 1,122

3.25/5  rDev -17.1%

4.75/5  rDev +21.2%

3.8/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured on-tap into an 11oz glass at Playground in Santa Ana, CA. Reviewed from notes.

A- Finger width fluffy white head, long retention. Pale copper color, very clean and little visible carbonation.

S- Dark hops and rye with toasty malts. Complex smell and a good one. Earthy tones.

T- Rye and hops. Peculiar taste. Starts sweet and candied and finished bitter. Novel taste.

M- Very smooth and little carbonation. Medium mouthfeel and a metallic linger.

O-I enjoyed this beer. Sierra Nevada does alright by me.

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

3.75/5  rDev -4.3%

A - Pours a clear copper-orange with a finger of frothy off-white head. The head fades down fairly slowly leaving behind some nice lacing.

S - Aroma is a mix of sweet caramel and biscuit malts with some spicy rye, with some grapefruit and pine hops.

T - Starts off with a mix of sweet caramel malts with some citrus hops and some spicy rye. Through the middle, some biscuit malts come through with some pine hops and some bitterness. The finish is a mix of citrus hops, rye, sweet malts, and some mild bitterness.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Feels smooth with a resiny, dry, and lightly spicy finish.

D - Very drinkable. Good Rye IPA. Nice balance of flavors, could have used a touch more hops.

4.75/5  rDev +21.2%

4.11/5  rDev +4.8%

12 oz bottle from the Utah system poured into my beer goblet.

Appearance: A nicely retained 1 finger off white head sits on top of a nice golden colored beer with a slight haze. Some wonderful lacing on the glass. This is a really nice looking beer!

Smell: A nice mix of spiciness, caramel malts, and mostly pine hops.

Taste: There is a touch of pepperiness from the rye and it blends nicely with the overall caramel taste. The hops seemed a little orange to me with some floral notes.

Mouthfeel: This one had a noticeably creamy mouthfeel, very pleasant. The body was medium and the carbonation strong.

Overall: I really liked this beer. Next year, I should compare it to their regular IPA to see if I can isolate the rye addition.

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%

A: Pours an amber colored and hazed liquid with large, but few, carbonation bubbles into the glass. A three finger foamy and grey
head forms at first but then goes down to about one fingers height. Lots of thick lacings on the glass.

S: Smells dry rye, some grapefruit, mandarins and some peppery hop tones. I can also find hints of brown sugar and a very faint sour tone.

T: One of the first tastes I can find is honeydew melon. Then a lot of malty character and orange peel. The alcohol is present in the background together with a pleasant grapefruit bitterness that stays long.

M: Strong carbonation with large bubbles. Medium body. Feels very pleasant to drink.

O: A very nice Rye IPA that I wish I had more bottles of.

Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye

Appearance: dark amber, large head, and some lacing.

Smell: hops and rye grain.

Taste: rye, hops, and a maltiness.

Mouthfeel: medium.

Overall:
This is a good brew. It has a nice bitterness and malty aftertaste. It is just a good clean brew.

3.95/5  rDev +0.8%

Ordered a bottle at West on Centre during a Sunday afternoon meet-up. Poured into a Harpoon IPA glass. Nice light brown color with slight orange highlights. Thin white head, with small bits of lacing. Really spicy aroma. Taste was pleasant with enough hops of front to stand out, but the spice from the rye added a nice balance. Mouthfeel was manageable. The 6.6 abv was not really noticeable. I found this beer to be tasty and refreshing, and a nice beer to enjoy on it's own.

4.92/5  rDev +25.5%

This is by far my favorite Rye I.P.A that I have tried so far. After I was pouring in into my pint glass the beer left a nice two inch head. My nose was lit up as I took in the inviting smell of spice, citrus and oh those hops. Every sip you are required to savor the taste and enjoy the carbonation as is glides down your throat. I hope that Sierra Nevada decides to make this beer year round, as I have been sending them letters asking so. If you have not tried this beer I would recommend it ANY time you see it! I am glad to have had the pleasure to enjoy such a well crafted beer.

Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.