Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPASierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American IPA

Availability: Spring

Added by kaseydad on 12-29-2011

Ratings: 5,092 |  Reviews: 1,122
4.17/5  rDev +6.4%

120z bottle into Duvel tulip

A: Nice coppery amber tone, generous 2-3 finger head that retains a nice film all the way down. Decent lacing too. Carbonation was generated mainly by the etched glass, but it was otherwise medium.

S: Very hoppy, more so than the Pale Ale and Torpedo. The citrus and grapefruit tones are there along with the typical pine you immediately recognize from the above beers. But this has got another layer to it in the form or spice and a definite peppery scent. It's almost hot smelling. Really interesting.

T: Very well balanced, malty right at the front, and nice and hoppy at the back. There's a nice subtle breadiness throughout, as well as the citrus and floral flavours. Pine is in the middle towards the back and there's a strange peppery taste to finish off. The aftertaste is all hops.

M: The mouthfeel is smooth and drinkable, big enough to carry all those flavours but small enough so as not to be overpowering.

Overall: Very nice beer, really enjoyable. It certainly competes with the Pale Ale and the Torpedo, which are both favourites of mine. It's really well balanced and I'd definitely recommend it.

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

4.2/5  rDev +7.1%

I had great anticipation for this beer, from hearing the ravings on the forum. So my expectations were very high. I was only slightly disappointed. I guess I just expected a big, almost Barleywine taste to it, but it was a little bit more tame than I was hoping especially with the word "Ruthless" in the title. Don't get me wrong I was only slightly let down. This beer actually drank spectacular and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Poured a nice clear, dark amber color with a nice thick head. Lots of lacing was apparent all the way down the glass to the very end.
This was not a big bitter beer and went down really easy. I would easily pick up a six pack of this next time it is in season.

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

Sampled 2012 vintage dated bottle.

A: brilliant amber color with poofy almost-white large head that persists and leaves lots of lacing

S: peppery, bready, citrus, very inviting

T: black pepper, resiny hop flavors, substantial hop bittering, additional citrus hop flavors, bready

M: medium light body with creamy mouthfeel

O: Yummy! Great balance of spicy rye malt notes with big in-your-face hop aroma and flavor, with a substantial hop bittering into finish. A hop bomb, but with enough malt to back it up.

3.93/5  rDev +0.3%

12oz bottle 2012 bottling (136211657 is date stamp) poured into a milkshake pilsner glass.

Appearance: Hazy coppery amber with a light tan (hint of orange) 1/4" persistent thick head. Plenty of persistent strands of lacing all over the glass. Nice looking beer.

Smell: Grapefruit and pine well blended together.

Taste: Well blended again. Malt, hops all come together nicely. Rye is just barely there at the end of the taste - it's not strong. If the bottle hadn't said it had rye in it I probably would have missed it. So the Rye is not as pronounced, but that being said, it's a very smooth and well blended AIPA flavor - just right amounts of hop flavors and bitterness balanced out by the malt with the rye at the end being a nice addition at the end.

Mouthfeel: Nice thickness and it has a creamy smoothness to it at first. The carbonation is light and goes away rather quickly unfortunately making the beer go from creamy and smooth to watery and sticky on the teeth. If the carbonation had stayed around longer I think it would have been a great beer.

Overall / Drinkability: Other than the mouthfeel starting out good and ending up not so good, this is a pretty good AIPA. The rye doesn't stick out so much for me and as the beer warms up it loses a few things, but when first poured and still a bit cold, it's a very drinkable and smooth AIPA - hop forward with a good malt backbone. I wonder how this would be on tap....anyway, a good beer and worth trying.

4.75/5  rDev +21.2%

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

3.8/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Been waiting a long time for this one. I had seen an advert in a BYO mag, and just wasn't able to come across one. So when I finally found it I scooped a six at €2.80 ea. anyway...

Pours into a Brewdog stemmed glass. Body seems thin. Nice mahogany colour. Nice thickish head. Seems almost oily.

Smell is of citrus, and rye bread. Not sure what this is going to be like, first experience with rye as a grain in beer. Intriguing...

Tastes very bitter. I likes me hops but I find this slightly harsh. Almost like a sh#t load of simcoe. Take this one in sips

Mouthfeel is sticky. Actually I should say that it is oily, as in it coats your mouth. It s surprising a pleasant feature of this bitter beer.

As I drank thus beer, I think I almost got used to it, that is the bitterness. Tasty enough overall. I wouldn t drink more than 1 at a time though. I would say that it is not Sierra' s best. Nonetheless it is an interesting brew, worth a try.

4.27/5  rDev +8.9%

I'm naturally interested in seeing just how ruthless this rye is. It's a nice hearty ale, yes. Good spiced tones (from the the I assume). Overall, this is a good beer, which I expect from Sierra Nevada. It's not blowing me away with some out there and unusual character, but it's a mighty tasty brew.

12oz bottle - from whole foods san francisco CA for 1.99$ - thanks to j for this one

Appearance - Clear copper colour with a large size frothy beige coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation and there is some good lacing. The head lasted for over 5 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Malts, caramel, hops, grapefruit, lemons, pine

Taste & Mouth - There is an average amount of carbonation and the taste is made up of caramel and malts mixed with hops. It also has some piney/woody hops mixed with some light grapefruit/lemon zest and a touch of dark fruit. I can pick up on some rye but it is kind of subdued. It ends with a malty piney hop aftertaste.

Overall - I can actually taste a bit of the SN Pale Ale in this one. It's like they used the same recipe and threw in some more malts and rye. Regardless, this is a very good beer that I will buy again.

4.75/5  rDev +21.2%

Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.