Brux Domesticated Wild Ale | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Brux Domesticated Wild AleBrux Domesticated Wild Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Added by JohnGalt1 on 06-24-2012

Ratings: 1,344 |  Reviews: 330

1.75/5  rDev -54.2%

2.23/5  rDev -41.6%

Gold, solid gold color with big bubble dome head erupting from my initial pour. Wave tube shaped skim of retention.

Coppery wheat, mint aroma with a initial twang of sweet/sour brett. Brett smell fades after a few minutes in the glass.

Tastes very minty. Almost menthol. Dry, mint seltzer is pretty comparable. Not very bretty.

No sir, I don't like it. I dumped it, my wife dumped it: the dreaded double drainpour.

2.25/5  rDev -41.1%

2.28/5  rDev -40.3%

This beer is really not very good at all. I am a huge fan of sours. This is just bad. Not very sour or flavorful. Rather boring and unbalanced... Hops are way out of place here. I wish I had more to say to get to 250 characters. This was a quick drain pour. Going to go crack a Westy 12 as an apology to my palate.

2.51/5  rDev -34.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Popped the bottle a few days ago, was pretty disappointed... Poured into a tulip.

A. Fizzy and golden, maybe a bit too over-carbonated, sustaining head.
S. Band-aids and tart fruit
T. Sour dough bread, a bit of nutmeggy-ish spice, very dry and sort of anti-septic.
M. Very dry, the carbonation explodes into a pillow-y foam on the tongue.
O. I can see some Orval-esque notes in the beer, that may just be the Brett. Brux. but I can't get over the flaws, the beer tastes antiseptic and smells like Band-Aids.

2.57/5  rDev -32.7%

750 ml bottle. Pours a slightly hazy golden amber with a small white head that disappears quickly and leaves no lacing. The aroma is green apple, apricot, and a light peppery note. There is a light funky brett earthiness, but not much. The initial taste is sweet with green apple, a bit of brett earthiness, and some apricot. The finish has a hint of brett and some lingering apple. Medium body. Low carbonation. This was quite disappointing. It's too sweet for the style and there is not much brett funkiness. It will probably improve with time, but I'm not going to buy more bottles to find out given the price.

2.64/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

From a bottle purchased at a reliable, high turnover store. This beer smells like a skunked bottle (and at $15 I hope to g*d it was fresh)- but I think that this is the way it is supposed to taste.
Sour tasting, but clean, if you want to say anything nice- at $15 a bottle- never again. I am used to pretty much anything. I had high hopes for these brewers and made the purchase based on their rep, but will look before leaping next time.

2.66/5  rDev -30.4%

No carbonation. Expected a huge head but nothing at all. Not a bubble. Smell was big green apple and the taste was nothing. Very thin. Bad bottle? Four of us poured it out after a few ounces. I love Brett but this was a complete waste of money and time. Had this sitting since it was released.

2.67/5  rDev -30.1%

Slightly hazy, golden orange. Very fizzy head, which quickly melts to a ring. Highly carbonated. I don't see much lacing, if any.

Tangy and sour aroma. A slightly sweet backbone, and some hops.

Unusual flavor. Not what I was expecting. Aside from the sourness, there is an emptiness to the flavor. Some might describe it as "watery."

The emptiness carries over to the mouthfeel. The carbonation is very high, and explodes as it enters your mouth. The finish is dry and lingering.

I'm sorry to say, I didn't like this beer very much. Normally, I love wild ales and sour beers. But, this one didn't have much going on in the flavor department. Generally speaking, I would prefer a bolder flavor and mouthfeel.

2.75/5  rDev -28%

Brux Domesticated Wild Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.