Brux Domesticated Wild Ale | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Brux Domesticated Wild AleBrux Domesticated Wild Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: American Wild Ale

Added by JohnGalt1 on 06-24-2012

Reviews: 329 | Ratings: 1,336
4.82/5  rDev +25.8%

A-cloudy gold with a hint of orange and a thin white head

S-smells very tart. The Brett is very evident. It has an artificial sweetness to it. Has a Belgian pale aleness to it as well. Strong scent!

T-comes in with a pretty awesome taste of a lemon lime crispness and tartness. It has crisp Belgian grains as well. It's actually a great flavor. It's not strong but it's very refined with a great matching after-taste.

M-heavy carbonation with a crisp finish. It's pretty good.

O-this is a great sour ale. It's really not too sour really but there is a subtle tartness and it has great flavor. I'm impressed with the fusion of these two breweries. This is a great drinker. The higher abv is not apparent either.

3.97/5  rDev +3.7%

Light orange pour with fizzy 1-finger of near white head. Not much retention nor lace.

Nose is a bit disappointing at first. Light tart fruit with green apple, candied cherries. Brett starts to come on as the glass warms and aerates.

Taste is sour/bitter right away and finishes with even more sour/bitterness. Green apple without the candied cherries. Get more brett as the glass warms. A faint hit of smoked meat sneaks in towards the end. Did not care for this at first sip, but really grows on you.

Feel is slightly thin, but there is a slick, oily quality to it.

Overall, glad I tried it but wished I'd aged my single bottle a bit longer.

4.27/5  rDev +11.5%

A: Slight white head over cloudy amber liquid.

S: Honey, grass, leaves, earth, marigolds, sour funk.

T: Grass, biscuit malt, oranges, lemons, grapefruit, earth, leaves and some sour funk in the finish.

M: Thin mouth feel with a medium to high level of viscosity.

O: I see where they were going with this one, and I like it. The citrusy and fruity presence of Amarillo and Cascade hops give this wild ale a quality different than the European varieties. However, due to the price point I think I would rather go for a Cantillon Vigneronne instead.

3.91/5  rDev +2.1%

Got the chance to try BRUX. When I saw that this collab-o was going to happen, this was on my target to try

A- BRUX pours a hazy orange body with a glaring glow as the carbonation rips towards the top of my glass. White foam lingers around as it settles from the initial pour. Very vibrant and impressive with the haze and glowing combo

S- Very dry scent that is bundled with grassy themes, spices, and some lemony zest. I certainly pick up some Brett in the background, but it's not very strong. I would probably say that the lemon and spices are the strongest features of the scent profile

T- good spicy flavor kicks off an earthy and lemon like taste profile. The flavors are blended to make for a good tasting wild ale that has a completely dry finish. Really good flavors meshed together.

M- Carbonation is spot on and the extremely fresh flavors coate the palate.

O- BRUX is very enjoyable, no question about it. I am pretty sure this is pretty fresh, so a little age might settle out some of the zestiness and let the Brett burst through. I have to mention I am always spoiled by ithaca sours, so I might be judging BRUX a lil to roughly (trust me, I have had enough brute and lebleu to be spoiled for life). I will definitely seek out more of this

Poured from a 750ml corked and caged bottle into a tulip glass. Bottling code on the neck but couldn't decipher it - but I know it's pretty fresh as it's a new released. It's a slightly cloudy golden color with massive carb streams. It had a large foamy white head that never settled below a finger of foam. Great lacing with some sticking.

The aroma is fruity with apple and pear with a bit of funk as well. Not as much funk as I was expecting though. A little mild for me. The taste follows the aroma with good fruity base, some spicy yeast and a little bit of brett funk. Again, not as much as I was expecting or wanting. It's not bad tasting at all but feels like it still needs to develop as it's mild. Medium mouthfeel with tons of carbonation (too much for me as it's giving me huge burbs). Mild aftertaste.

Overall, a good but not great beer at this stage. Going to cellar a couple and see what happens as I know both breweries have some great beers so hoping that this is just a little young. Avail here in TX. Rotation - not too impressed at this point so going to cellar some

3.8/5  rDev -0.8%

Pale gold, almost orange. A fair amount of carbonation and a nice foamy head as a result.
Brett funkiness is there first, but mild. It's followed by a slight citric and peachy note, but no crazy green apple sourness like some. The malts even creep up. However one nice thing is that the finish is clean and "normal" while many have a harsh wild yeast bitterness that I don't care for.
Pretty simple, and it reminds me a bit of the New Belgium Brett Beer, with a cleaner finish and a kiss more sourness. In some ways, this is the beer I wish that one was.
A good intro to wild ales, and a pretty tasty one even if you've had a ton.
The main thing you can't help buy pick up is how clean and polished it is. I imagine it should speak to a lot of different people.

3.24/5  rDev -15.4%

Orange in body color with a fluffy white head. Head rises and falls quickly.

Smells bugged with orange and lemon. Not picking up much tartness.. Bready, funky, and sticky.

Lots of dry sticky pear. Brett stands out. No tartness, unfortunately. High carbonation with nice sweetness.

I couldn't drink much of this, but it's very nice for an Sierra Nevada Collab. I wish RR would have taken the upper hand.. Recommended, just not in large quantities.

3.8/5  rDev -0.8%

A) 3.50 Cloudy and dusky gold. Small head and not much glass decoration

S) 3.90 Lots of funks wood. Notes of pear, grape, pale malt and light overall sourness. Horse blanket and vinous The underlying malt dinner roll sweetness lays a nice bed for the yeast and earthy hop counterpoint.

T) 4.10 Since this has been in the bottle for almost two years it has had a bit of a chance to develop. I really like what I have in the glass. Pale malt with all the pear, apple and grape to add sweet light structure. Lots of oak and a bit of light vanilla. Belgian funk lays down a lot of depth. Sharp, pronounced, but delicate bitterness.

M) 3.75 Medium light body has a light crispness and smooth carbonation.

O) 4.0 Great beer for summer food. An excellent alternative to a whit wine. Drier with add grain complexity.

3.67/5  rDev -4.2%

Fighting Hurricane Sandy with beer!

A: Clear, golden color that is not unlike straw. Initially a lot of head builds up, billowing over my secondary glass, but after not too long it's completely gone. I'm a bit disappointed, but the constant stream of bubbles is welcomed.

S: The aroma is, first and foremost, funky. The barnyard funk-style with hay and tartness. With Brett and lemon, the smells are inviting.

T: The taste is not what I was expecting. A slight hoppiness is noted with the barnyard funk underneath. The lemon and other light fruits are more noted and a hint of malt graces the backend. The taste is a little...I don't want to say bland, but it's just not jumping out and impressing me. The sourness is subtle and the hops just aren't strong enough to shine in the beer. I'm not saying it's not good, I just wanted something a bit more from it.

MF: Very light body with a nice amount of carbonation. The beer goes down crisp and clean, making it very drinkable. The ABV isn't noted at all. I really can't remember an American Wild Ale that I thought I could drink a full 750ml bottle of.

O: This was a good beer, and I'd like to see how it ages. Not the best fresh, but certainly nothing wrong with it. I would have rather paid less to enjoy it, but I don't regret it at all!

3.54/5  rDev -7.6%

[Suggested Glassware: Tulip Glass]

The pour was a clear medium orange with an average (1-2 finger) white fizzy head that dissipated in a matter of seconds and had virtually no lacing to speak of.

The aroma was of a funky Belgian yeast and a mild straw malt with notes of green apple, pears, citrus (lemon) and possessed a nice mild tartness.

The taste was lightly sweet, a tad tart and a little acidic with a mild fruity ester early on, and then had a large musty yeast presence and a slight bitter citrus peel ending. The flavor hung on for an average duration proceeding the swallow, with a slight harsh bitter fruity taste left lying on the taste buds.

Mouthfeel was light in body and mildly dry in texture with a strong prickly carbonation.

Overall this was a rather tasty Wild Ale that was light and fruity with a somewhat bold bitterness and a great drinkability. It most definitely is a good collaboration between Sierra Nevada and Russian River...

4.11/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Review date: 10/26/2015

Cellared bottle served cold in a wine glass. Bottle dated 07/2012

Appearance: remarkably clear. Pure gold color with a beautiful white head. Simple bottle design that tells me everything I need to know.

Nose: wet hay, funky, apricots, pears, sweetness

Taste: highly carbonated and bone dry from the Brett at bottling. Funky but delicate. Stone fruit, apricots, pears, not very complex but nice barnyard funk.

Overall: this is a very enjoyable beer. I feel I could crush a bottle or two by myself. I'd buy this again if I saw it. I was lucky to see one on a shelf in Buffalo, NY a few months ago. The funk is there but the body is really thin (to be expected). Again, a nice beer.

3.85/5  rDev +0.5%

A: poured into a Duvel Tulip to a cloudy golden orange with a two finger white head that recedes quickly to a small pool.
S: slight vinegar acidity in the nose with some citrus. bretty yeast smell but not a lot of funk or barnyard. some pale malt as well
T: funky horseblanket and band aid, very slight tartness, a bit of pale malt and some peppery flavor. more horseblanket toward the end. aftertaste is a bit more horseblanket, some spicey yeast, and a wisp of fruitiness
M: prickly and crisp with a fairly light mouthfeel. a bit drying as well on the finish.
O: pleasantly surprised. Maybe this bottle got funky faster or something based on the other reviews. We'll see what happens with the other three bottles I have.

3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

A: Pours an Orange goldenrod colr with a milkshake head that is less than a finger. no lacing left on my Duvel tulip

S: Aroma of light pineapple, golden pear, strong isolated brett only "wild ale" presence, no lacto to make this a sour. Caramel, a bit of green apple and a belgian ale yeast strain underneath the brett finish.

T: Mostly pear with a bit of grapefruit on the fruit side of flavors. Backbone of a light caramel crystal malt in the 40 range. A bit of biscuity bite but very smooth and well rounded. There is a sweetness to this that does well with the brett flavors leading me to believe that over time, this will continue to age and change a little however with the amount of pressurization already present, that could be dangerous if there is enough unattenuated sugar left in here. Base beer flavors seem to be basically half pale ale taste and half Belgian ale.

M: Medium to heavy for an American Wild ale, good high level of carbonation that seems right for the style.

O: Two great breweries coming together to create a pretty good beer. This beer was made to accentuate the brett flavors and I think it has accomplished that goal pretty well. Much better so than some of the others that have made a straight brett beer with that goal in mind. Recommended , and curious to see how this ages

3.73/5  rDev -2.6%

A - Pours a pale orange. Fizzy 2 finger head that is gone in a flash.

S - Sour notes & yeast.

T - Lots of belgian influence than sour. One can definitely pick up some sour undercurrents but it's not overwhelming like I was expecting.

M - Light & effervescent on the tongue.

O - In the end I'm a little let down. I was hoping with these 2 breweries making a collaboration that it was sure to be a home run. Guess not...

4.1/5  rDev +7%

Pours a hazy orange with a very bubbly head and lots of carbonation.
The aroma is funky farmhouse with peach, citrus ans spice notes.
Taste follows with the nice funk, a bit of caramel sweetness, sweet fruit and a bit of buttery flavor in the middle with a dry, slightly peppery finish.
Mouthfeel is medium, dry and bubbly.
Aged nicely. Tasty and refreshing.

3.87/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A - Pours a hazy amber with a large fizzy white head. The head recedes quickly settling into a nice thin ring.

S - Aroma is heavy Brett, pears, lemon pee, and light malt sweetness.

T - The taste starts with malty sweetness and Belgian yeast upfront followed by pear and green apple with some funky Brett notes. The finish has a light spiciness.

M - Medium bodied with high carbonation. Very crisp mouthfeel with a dry finish.

O - A nice Wild ale. The flavors tend to be on the sweeter side. Still a very refreshing and drinkable beer.

3.6/5  rDev -6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured out of 1pt 9.4oz bottle into a snifter shaped ale glass

A-champagne head, with active bubbles and immediate head of over 4 fingers thick. Head gone within 1 minute. Copper color with an unfiltered look. No lacing whatsoever on the glass. No thickness.
S-pear and fig tones on the nose. Alcohol upfront. Light on the clove smell.
T-head feels tart and beer finished fruity. Definitely find the "domestic" style coupled with the Belgian style ale.
M-smooth mouthfeel upfront with a bite and dry finish.
O-expected more out of a Russian River/Sierra Nevada collab. This beer should have sat on the shelf for a few years since aging would enhance this beers qualities. Might be enjoyed by some who is a follower of the Saison/sour-beer genres.

3.14/5  rDev -18%

A: It has a hazy golden body with a fizzy bubbly white head that seems to be going nuts. Popping all over the place in a myriad of bubbles. Despite the persistent bubbles, the head fades quickly leaving absolutely no head or lacing.

S: I pick up what smells like cherry Starburst, followed by what smells like soap, then a funky musty aroma. Lots of sour fruit smell.

T: There's more of that funky mustiness. It's that old house quality, but in a flavor. There's a bit of sourness, but it's an initial burst of sour and doesn't have any follow-through. It literally seems to depend on the size of the drink. A sip doesn't seem to deliver enough flavor for me to enjoy this beer. When I take a big gulp, there's much more presence to the beer. There's a cottony flavor and a bit of wood in there too. Kind of like sucking on a tooth pick. I didn't think it was especially great tasting. There really wasn't much aftertaste.

M: The mouthfeel leaves much to be desired. It feels empty, plain, and insipid. It isn't completely dry, leaving this light flavorless coating on the palate.

O: Overall I thought the beer was just "okay." It has just enough flavor to feel interesting, but could use more. It just doesn't feel dry enough either. That's probably the biggest detractor to a beer like this. The bottle recommends aging, but I have no idea how old this bottle is to begin with. It's worth drinking, but I can't say that I would be all that excited about aging this.

3.93/5  rDev +2.6%

750 mL bottle, allowed to warm a bit before being poured into my Bruery tulip.

Brux pours a hazy color that falls somewhere between copper and straight orange. There are plentiful tangerine highlights when I hold the beer up to a liht. The head approaches three fingers in height of fluffy, just off-white foam. Head retention is alright, and there's not muh lacing left in its wake. The nose has a fair amount going on, with aromas of straw, pepper, and lemon zest all intermingling. It could all stand to be a little bit more intense though. The flavor profile is nice, and just about in line with what I'd expect a relatively fresh beer that was only bottle conditioned with brett (rather than having utilized brett for a primary or secondary fermentation) to taste like. I'm guessing that the base beer here is some sort of saison, because while the straw and light citrus/lemon notes that open and close the beer respectively taste like the result of wild yeast, the big cracked pepper flavor mid palate is reminiscent of a well brewed farmhouse ale. The body is very nicely dried out, especially for being above 8%ABV, and the carbonation has a very nice liveliness to it. Brux is drinking nicely right now as an essentially clean beer with just a little bit of funk to it. I suspect though that much like Orval, a bit of time in the bottle will turn it into something beautiful and complex.

4.61/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a beautiful orange, with a two finger white head that quickly receded. Abundant bubbles rose through the orange. No lacing was left on the glass. Pretty, but would look a bit better if the head stuck around. Scents of barnyard funk, slight bubblegum and light floral notes. Flavors of brett funk and sour notes, Belgian yeast, some fruity notes, including apricot and golden raisin. A tiny bit of spices, I cannot tell what type. Finishes a bit dry with sour brett notes. Mouthfeel is light bodied, with high carbonation. Easy to drink, hiding it's ABV quite well. A good beer. Not near as sour as I expected, but very similar to a tripel with a bit of a brett funk to the beer that makes it a good time to drink. I'd have it again.

3.97/5  rDev +3.7%

A: Slightly hazy and golden hue with a huge sudsy, quickly dissipating head; not much lacing

S: Fruity and funky: apples, pears, pear juice, lemon, grass, hay, cheese; man, this smells musty and grainy and fruity and funky

T: Slightly tart and fruity up front: so much pear with subtle lemon and apple; it then dries up a bit leaving some musty grassy grains, funky but not as much as the aromas indicated--this did cellar for 6 months but I bet more time would allow this to funk out a bit more

F: The effervescent carbonation followed by a yeasty creaminess works well for this beer

O: I love funky, musty, cheesy beers and this one is delicious; I have had much better beers from both of these breweries but this one does a nice job and ends up being a decent collaborative effort

Review of my second bottle because my first was when it first came out and I thought it needed some time, albeit only a few months, to sit.
Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a tulip.
Gold/orangish hue, mild head which faded pretty fast but stayed pretty carbonated.
Flavor was sweet and tart..not all that bad given the style. At first taste the aroma and flavors combined to remind me for some reason or another of Big League Chew...strange, I know. Dry mouthfeel...reminded me of champagne.
I was hoping for this to get better, even after only a few months, and it DID, just not to the level that I had hoped.
Given the two breweries, I would have hoped for something better, though maybe time will tell on this one. Perhaps they can collab on something else down the road.

3.85/5  rDev +0.5%

a - poured a three-fingers thick fizzy and bubbly eggshell-colored head into a tulip glass that left a thick ring of lace that disappeared halfway through the pour. the body was a bright, lively, bubbly amber color.
s - lemon and pear aromas throughout.
t - grassy with some lemon tartness. has just a "bit o brett" and i see where they got "domesticated" from.
m - medium coating. crisp, bubbly and dry. very biting on tongue. lively and well done.
o - i expected a little more from these two but it is very well done. i think it would be a great intro sour to some people. i thoroughly enjoyed it any way.

4.06/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Pours light orange with hazy golden hues and a deep fizzy 2 finger off white head

Smell has some light Belgian yeast notes forward and some aromas of peppercorn
That give it a slightly spicy smell. There is also a slightly cider like tartness to the backend

Taste is great there is some more spicy peppercorn like yeasty phenols forward that is followed by a crisp light cider like flavor along side some grainy malt. There is a slightly sweet, slightly sour, dry finish that ties is all together nicely

Mouthfeel is hoot high carbonation give is a crisp fizzy frothy mouthfeel that Works well with the medium body and sour finish.

3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

Pours a slightly hazed straw color with a pillowy 2 inch mound of head. There is some lace on the glass but not a ton.

The nose has that funky barnyard smell to it that is similar to horse saddle. There are some apricot scebts intertwined with the funkiness.

The flavors are funky as well and have some bread-like malts, barnyard funk, leather and a bit of dried apricots.

The mouthfeel is light-medium bodied with ample carbonation and a crisp feel.

Overall, this is a decent collaboration that definitely nails the funky flavors but may be a bit yoo much for some.

Brux Domesticated Wild Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.