Brux Domesticated Wild Ale | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Brux Domesticated Wild AleBrux Domesticated Wild Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Added by JohnGalt1 on 06-24-2012

Ratings: 1,344 |  Reviews: 330
4.1/5  rDev +7.3%

Not sure when bottled, but have been holding for about 3 years. Nice cloudy copper with very fizzy white head. Mostly Brett in the nose, a hint of grass. Taste is Brett with some citrus. Pleasant and drinkable, but a bit thin and high taste fatigue. Going to be tough to nurse a whole bottle. Probably should have split it.

3.79/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Brux has some nice earthiness qualities but I didn't care for the amount of brett and the amount of carbonation in particular. It wasn't all too funky in my opinion and was on the drier side.

3.78/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.99/5  rDev +4.5%

3.84/5  rDev +0.5%

4.08/5  rDev +6.8%

4.11/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Review date: 10/26/2015

Cellared bottle served cold in a wine glass. Bottle dated 07/2012

Appearance: remarkably clear. Pure gold color with a beautiful white head. Simple bottle design that tells me everything I need to know.

Nose: wet hay, funky, apricots, pears, sweetness

Taste: highly carbonated and bone dry from the Brett at bottling. Funky but delicate. Stone fruit, apricots, pears, not very complex but nice barnyard funk.

Overall: this is a very enjoyable beer. I feel I could crush a bottle or two by myself. I'd buy this again if I saw it. I was lucky to see one on a shelf in Buffalo, NY a few months ago. The funk is there but the body is really thin (to be expected). Again, a nice beer.

3.88/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.23/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.28/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.69/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I hesitated opening this. I wanted to hold on to it a little longer but have read about some skunked bottles out there so here we go. No bottle date but I got this back in the fall of 2014. Pours a nice looking off white creamy 1 finger head that fades fast leaving vigorous carbonation swirled in my Chimay glass. Honey Amber looking. Smell is very different more wine like then ale. Apple brandy on the nose. Really lots of complex aromas thanks to the Brett. Taste is as smell very complex. I actually taste bubblegum apon first sip. That's strange but goes to show how complex this ale is. It's semi sweet and slightly tangy with smooth aftertaste. The alcohol is very pronounced with a nice warmness down the throat. Overall this turned out much different then expected with more of a wine feel. 4.75

3.97/5  rDev +3.9%

3.41/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From a bottle dated 7/19/12. The label says it should age well for several years. I heard it was really wild when first released. I t definitely calmed down. It has a funky Band-Aid taste.

3.34/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Bottle shared tonight by Todd, thanks for the opportunity!
Slightly murky light golden color with a quickly diminishing white head. Earthy funky with a light vinous almost grape aroma offset with a hint of herbal spiciness and aspirin. Almost no carbonation, didn’t help make this any more than an average beer.

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

L: Pours hazy copper gold under a vigorous, pillowy, clingy 3” white foam collar. S: wet horse blanket, a touch lemon. T: Apricot, a little barnyard, good fruit, nice earthy hop finish on a moderate malt backbone. Tart with hints of pineapple, orange. F: very highly carbonated creamy and effervescent, almost champagne like. O: They have really nailed the Belgian texture, malt and flavors.

2.66/5  rDev -30.4%

No carbonation. Expected a huge head but nothing at all. Not a bubble. Smell was big green apple and the taste was nothing. Very thin. Bad bottle? Four of us poured it out after a few ounces. I love Brett but this was a complete waste of money and time. Had this sitting since it was released.

3.88/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.65/5  rDev -4.5%

750mL poured into an oversized tulip.

Ridiculous amounts of head including a cork that shot out from the bottle and made a mess of my kitchen. Body is plum-hued and copper, almost bordering on a rosé. Kind of pretty. 4

Smells like a ton of plum. Cotton candy and lollipop type of sugary, caramely sweetness. Floral spiciness. 4

Surprisingly more malty than I'd expected. Not quite what I'd expect a wild ale to taste like. It's very malt-heavy in flavor with a grape-like quality, thick grainy sweetness, and a champagne sort of yeast finish. There's a grape-yeast combination here that's interesting but perhaps a bit too sweet where I want tartness. T- 3.5 M- 3.5

A tad disappointing for me. I see wild ale and I expect something more tart and wild.

2.78/5  rDev -27.2%

I didn't much care for this when it was fresh and it is definitely less appealing to me now that it has time on it.

3.78/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Earthy Brett, apple, white grape, light sweetness, vinous, funky

4.12/5  rDev +7.9%

4.18/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.08/5  rDev +6.8%

Glad I picked this up, and even more glad that it aged so nicely as I held onto it for 3+ years. Beautiful copper/amber color, sweet/tart Granny Smith apple aroma from the opened bottle and in the glass, lots of cider-y/apple character, plus notes of pie crust, hay and apricot-like earthiness and tartness. Less funk than expected, but in place of the funk, some of the perceived booze-and-yeast-generated heat that you get from in BSPA's like Delirius Tremens or Tripel Karmaliet, but with a much drier finish than those. Lower carbonation than I'd expected, and not much head retention in the second and third pours from the bottle. In all, a lovely beer. Patience rewarded.

Brux Domesticated Wild Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.