Brux Domesticated Wild Ale | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Brux Domesticated Wild AleBrux Domesticated Wild Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Added by JohnGalt1 on 06-24-2012

Ratings: 1,344 |  Reviews: 330
4.25/5  rDev +11.3%

4.27/5  rDev +11.8%

A: Slight white head over cloudy amber liquid.

S: Honey, grass, leaves, earth, marigolds, sour funk.

T: Grass, biscuit malt, oranges, lemons, grapefruit, earth, leaves and some sour funk in the finish.

M: Thin mouth feel with a medium to high level of viscosity.

O: I see where they were going with this one, and I like it. The citrusy and fruity presence of Amarillo and Cascade hops give this wild ale a quality different than the European varieties. However, due to the price point I think I would rather go for a Cantillon Vigneronne instead.

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

Review of my second bottle because my first was when it first came out and I thought it needed some time, albeit only a few months, to sit.
Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a tulip.
Gold/orangish hue, mild head which faded pretty fast but stayed pretty carbonated.
Flavor was sweet and tart..not all that bad given the style. At first taste the aroma and flavors combined to remind me for some reason or another of Big League Chew...strange, I know. Dry mouthfeel...reminded me of champagne.
I was hoping for this to get better, even after only a few months, and it DID, just not to the level that I had hoped.
Given the two breweries, I would have hoped for something better, though maybe time will tell on this one. Perhaps they can collab on something else down the road.

2.67/5  rDev -30.1%

Slightly hazy, golden orange. Very fizzy head, which quickly melts to a ring. Highly carbonated. I don't see much lacing, if any.

Tangy and sour aroma. A slightly sweet backbone, and some hops.

Unusual flavor. Not what I was expecting. Aside from the sourness, there is an emptiness to the flavor. Some might describe it as "watery."

The emptiness carries over to the mouthfeel. The carbonation is very high, and explodes as it enters your mouth. The finish is dry and lingering.

I'm sorry to say, I didn't like this beer very much. Normally, I love wild ales and sour beers. But, this one didn't have much going on in the flavor department. Generally speaking, I would prefer a bolder flavor and mouthfeel.

4.25/5  rDev +11.3%

3.75/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured from the bottle a hazy orange-yellow color with two fingers of bright white head.

Aroma of tart green apples, lemon, earthy grains, lemon and barnyard funk.

The taste really delivered what the aroma set up with the layers of tartness, earth and yeasty Brett funk.

Medium bodied and crisp with a moderate carbonation.

This was pretty much what I expected from this collaboration from Russian River and Sierra Nevada. Definitely worthy of a try.

3.89/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured from a corked and caged bottle into a Victory tulip

A- pours a cloudy shade of light orange with a two finger white head that fades extremely quickly. Not too great looking overall

S- lemon and funk. Oh yes. Tons of funk. Lovely

T- it tastes very...fresh, I guess. Not a ton of funk. Decent lemon. Very mild flavor overall

M- medium bodied, TONS of carb. Wow

O- this is approachable. Doesn't hold a candle to the RR sours we all know and love, but it's still solid overall

3.85/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured into a Gulden Draak tulip. Pours a hazy medium golden amber. Massive white head during pour that dissipated immediately into a thin layer of foam with light lacing. Aroma of light fruit; apple, pear, lemon; light saison yeast and a hint of brett. Flavor is the same light fruit, a nice light sweet malt and a hint of brett. Finishes slightly dry with light fruit and the memory of the brett. Light bodied with very active carbonation giving a nice mouth feel. They nailed this one for me; I'm not a big brett fan, but enjoy saisons with a light touch of wild yeast. I guess I'm too domesticated, but if so, they made this one for my taste. Really glad I took a chance on this.

4.75/5  rDev +24.3%

Brux Domesticated Wild Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.