Floral IPA - Beer Camp #53 (Best Of Beer Camp) | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

good
Floral IPA - Beer Camp #53 (Best Of Beer Camp)Floral IPA - Beer Camp #53 (Best Of Beer Camp)

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: English India Pale Ale (IPA)

This unique take on the traditional IPA style pairs the bold and intense aromas of whole-cone hop "flowers" with aromatic natural rose hips and petals for complex aromas and unexpected flavors.

Added by beertunes on 07-23-2012

firstprev| 151-175 | 176-200 | 201-225  | next → last
Reviews: 216 | Ratings: 541
3.89/5  rDev +4.6%

Appearance: Very hazy gold with little white specks in it, 'chunky' if you will. Thin slightly off-white head, poor lacing.

Smell: Explosive, floral and herbal hops, maybe from the rose additions too. They seem of the more european variety, but with a more tropical twist. NZ Hallertauer?

Taste: More of the same hops from the aroma, this is a very hoppy beer. The malt gives some bisciuty, breadiness that is well disguised from the bitterness and carbonation, but it really brings the beer into full form.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and thin, but there is a nice silkiness to it as well.

Overall: A very good IPA, nothing is wrong with it and it is quite unique. Tasty stuff.

4.03/5  rDev +8.3%

Second in my Beer Camp session. 12 oz bottle into my tasting snifter.

Pours a slightly hazed amber. Produced a nice off white two finger head. Great retention and lacing. Very nice looking beer.

Hops upfront. Classic SN pine with some definite floral character that is hard to tell if comes from the rose hips or hops. Crystal malt backing with that slightly astringent quality found in SN's pale ales.

Taste holds more floral notes with a more distinct rose flavor than the nose. More of that classic SN astringent pine hop flavor. Some bready malt. Finishes bitter. Good, but I think the high IBUs mask the rose.

Medium in body. Very nice carbonation. High bitterness, finishes dry. No perceived alcohol.

Overall this is a tasty twist on the style, but I think the bitter hops hold back what the rose could have brought. Honestly the rose additions were lost in the mix. Good idea though, that I think really could work with a different hop profile. Still highly quaffable and packed with flavor. Cheers!

3.58/5  rDev -3.8%

I saw this combo 12 pack and had to try it.

A- Pours with a slight haze and a nice head. Golden amber color with a little lacing.

S- Not sure what I am looking for but the bottle says whole fllower hops and rose hips and that's what is showing up although faintly.

T- Bitterness dominates with some malt in the finish. I'm not getting anything I would call floral.

M- meduim light body, balanced carbonation.

O- SN knows what it does well and I am pleased to see them open up to experimentation. This might grow on me although the malt/hop balance is lacking for an IPA.

4.42/5  rDev +18.8%

I tend to buy variety packs because many of them contain a hidden gem. This week I bought the Sierra Nevada "Best of Beer Camp" variety pack and was most suprised to find that this Floral IPA was not only the stand-out, but better than their popular Torpedo IPA.
I poured it into a frosted mug and noticed it had a deep amber color with an average IPA head. As soon as it left the bottle, I could easily pick up on its flowery scents that dominate it overall smell.
Simply, the taste followed its aroma. It was not as bitter and hoppy as some of the stronger IPA's I've had in the past, but I was pleased that the kick I typically seek from an IPA was replaced by the pleasant flowery and nectary undertones. This beer certainly lives up to its name.
Personally, I enjoy the style for a beer or two, but this beer is balanced and refreshing enough to put back 5 or 6 without getting bored of it.

3.16/5  rDev -15.1%

Poured into a tulip glass.

Two fingers of thick foam, off-white in color. Goes to a wisp of a head with some lacing, but not much. Body is amber filled wit yeast suspension and a column of carbonation rising in the center.

Aroma is mild with citrus and hops. I detected no floral.

Taste hits with hops, which quickly mellows out. Some citrus, but still no floral until the end where there is a touch of lavender.

Mouthfeel begins with tartness, which goes to malt. The palate clears too early for me.

Overall a decent IPA. This is my 3rd of 4 in this series, I was far more upbeat with the others. I expected some floral nose and flavor up front. I can't say that Sierra missed the boat with this brew, but they didn't get as much on board as promised.

3.91/5  rDev +5.1%

12oz bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Golden hue tinted with a little bit of red with noticeable carbonation and two fingers of a bone-white head. VERY impressive and sticky lacing.

S: They definitely hit the nail on the head with the aroma they were probably going for. Very floral and slightly sweet. Good, but not too appetizing in my books.

T: Flowery and slightly sweet with a hint of citrus at the end. The rose additives are definitely present and add a nice kick of flavor. Sweet, but not too sweet. I get hints of lavender and lemons in this one. Pretty nice!

M: Medium carbonation with a slightly bitter finish. The taste doesn't linger around as much as I'd like it to though.

O: I'm really digging this one. I love floral forward beers, and this one hits the spot perfectly. I would love to see this one done in six packs (not that they will.) Another super solid beer from SN.

4.47/5  rDev +20.2%

I have yet to have a bad beer from SN. This beer has complexity with particularly great floral notes coming through. Great Balance, drinkability and great effervescence in the glass. Solid solid offering from of craft's masters. Most enjoyable beer of the English Ipa style that I have had. Underrated in my mind.

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%

Hazy amber pour with a one-finger head, leaving nice lacing clinging to the side of the glass. Tiny particles are suspended in the beer. Scent is floral with malty hops; pleasant. Taste is well balanced between the hops and malts, I would call this a malty IPA. Mouthfeel is smooth, low to medium carbonation with a dry and somewhat bitter finish. A decent IPA which is unusual due to the floral notes. I would like to try this fresher as this 12-pack is 2 months old. Worth a try for all hop heads.

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%

A: beige head covers the beer all the way through; there are lots of particles in suspension, possibly from the rose hips but hard to identify, definitely not yeast that was kicked up.

S: piney and floral, smells like spring.

T: light bittneress, mostly flavor and aroma hops, some balancing in a traditional english IPA.

M: creamy, then dry; relatively low carbonation throughout the beer after the head is formed.

O: a classic English IPA except for what was in suspension.

3.8/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Surly pint glass.

A - Pours a nice dark hazy golden/orange color with a thin 1 finger of white head that dissipates quickly. Leaves some light lacing as it's consumed.

S - Fruity, herbs, floral, hop aroma, and some malt.

T - Much of the same characteristics in the aroma of the beer come out in the flavor/taste as well. Very floral and full of citrus up front, herbal, and finishes with a bitter hop bite that lingers.

M - Silky, oily smooth drinking but definitely fuller in body than i was expecting. Nicely balanced and has a nice lingering chewy bitter finish.

O - Not a bad brew but in the land of what consists of near a million IPA's, this one is average. Nothing in this beer sets it vastly apart from many other IPA's. I would have it again but it's not anything i would go out of my way to seek out again.

3.72/5  rDev 0%

My first sample from Beer Camp...Pours a shiny copper with a two finger head, Lacing sticks around for a bit, but then disappears completely. The nose is kind of what I would expect from a beer named "Floral IPA", as it is dominated by very floral hoppy tones. The taste was a surprise. I expected much more hop bitterness. Instead this brew is fairly balanced, the hops are somewhat mild (not as hoppy as Torpedo, for example) and there is a much more pronounced malt backbone than I expected. Nonetheless, I really enjoyed this offering. Religious hop freaks may be a little disappointed, but I enjoyed this for what it is. A well-balanced, easy to drink IPA with interesting hop/malt chemistry.

3.88/5  rDev +4.3%

Pours a dark gold with a solid 2 finger head and a good amount of lacing.

Nose is not real strong, some citrus and malt.

Taste starts with strong grapefruit rind with a little hint of tropical fruit. Malt stands up to the hops well. Finishes with a nice bitterness.

Mouthfeel is good for the style, medium and well carbonated.

Overall it is a solid IPA, reminds me a lot of Torpedo.

A- a slightly hazy golden amber with a fair amount of head. nothing out of the ordinary.

S- slight biscuit malts bust predominately floral hops (go figure) and a little bit of sweetness. A sweetness reminecent of garden variety clove honey.

T- opens with hop bitterness and bready malts. Spicy hops. this is as dry as Torpedo but without the IBU or ABV. The rose hips and pedals are definately in the finish.

M- pretty dry for an IPA, but not too dry. A good amount of carbonation. very simlar mouthfeel to Torpedo.

O- this is a good beer, as expected from this brewery; but still the weakest in this variety pack.. I haven't had the stout yet, but my guess is that it will steal the show.

3.96/5  rDev +6.5%

This came as part of the Sierra Nevada beer camp package. It pours amber and hazy with a small white head. The smell is a knockout, the name of the beer is pretty evident here. I feel like the smell is the whole point of this beer. There are flowers in the nose along with west coast pine. The first time I had this beer I was hanging out with friends and not paying attention to it, and I came away from the beer thinking that the "floral" taste was too overpowering. Tasting this beer now by myself, I don't think that it's too much and I'm enjoying it more. The hops are on full display here, but aren't too bitter, it feels just right. The mouthfeel is light bodied with a strong carbonation. This is a beer that I didn't like at first but I'm enjoying the second time around.

2.06/5  rDev -44.6%

Color is golden with floating particles. Smell is a flower garden. Taste is a dirty flower garden. Wouldn't try again,This IPA pours a medium orange gold color from the tap. Small to medium sized white foamy head with good retention and nicer lacing. The aroma is floral and citrusy. A medium bodied IPA. The malts are fruity and sweet. The hops are floral and citrusy. Good carbonation. Medium bitterness, but the bitterness tends to linger. Nice clean and crisp IPA. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and crisp. Aftertaste is slightly bitter.

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

I liked this and would have it again if someone else was buying.

The floral description was on the money, but I think they could have done a better job of balancing hop flavor with hop bitterness. In other words, though it was tasty, the finish/aftertaste lingered a little too long for my preference. I like a clean, quick finish in my IPAs.

I was OK with the maltiness, and the hop flavor was fine.

firstprev| 151-175 | 176-200 | 201-225  | next → last
Floral IPA - Beer Camp #53 (Best Of Beer Camp) from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.