Narwhal Imperial Stout | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Narwhal Imperial StoutNarwhal Imperial Stout

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by JohnGalt1 on 10-14-2012

Ratings: 5,051 |  Reviews: 932

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

4.96/5  rDev +19.5%

4.92/5  rDev +18.6%

At first glance it looks black as the depths of the oceans. The smell reminds me of a solid espresso and of dark chocolate. The taste is phenomenal with strong notes from the roasted malts and a coffee-like feel. The hops are definitely present and give it a nice balance. Overall, this is a great imperial stout that I will buy more of.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

First of all, the bottle imagery is badass. I mean a narwhal is like my second favorite kind of whale, OMG! Seriously though, narwhals are badasses, and so is this beer. Pours completely opaque black - like a very deep, briny ocean, this beer does not let light through. Has a small, short lived, dark brown head. Clocks in at a 10.2, and the aroma doesn't hide it. Definitely detectable alcohol in the nose, with a deeper nuttiness and malt, choco-caramel, and other dark, sweet things. Taste reflects all that, and is almost bridging into a liquor-filled chocolate cordial. Really nice and I'd for sure get this again.

4.44/5  rDev +7%

4.15/5  rDev 0%

3.8/5  rDev -8.4%

4.15/5  rDev 0%

3.76/5  rDev -9.4%

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

Considering this is relatively easy to get and the price is reasonable I will have to say this is one of the better RIS's I have had. I like to consider everything in my numbering. Sometimes it does not only include the taste of the beer. Everything is subjective.

Appearance: Dark as night, nice lacing once head settles, which is fairly quick. Caramel lacing and head in that regard.

Aroma: Chocolate, malts, some coffee and vanilla, nice balance of aroma's.

Taste: Very pleasant, pretty close to what they describe on the bottle. I got a lot of vanilla out of this one and caramel, but the chocolate dominates more than anything else. What I did like about this one is it is not overly licorice in flavor profile. That has killed a lot of well regarded stouts for me over the years. This one is damn good and I have a BA version of this waiting on me, I just have to wait until the right moment for that one.

Overall: Where I live its easy to find, I purchased this one from a local grocery store chain for $10. It is well worth that considering everything, and that is why I have become a SN fan. Anyway, the store also had Snow pack, Celebration, and all the other 12 packs on sale for $12.99, so I may be heading back there to stock up!

4.48/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

3.8/5  rDev -8.4%

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

4.19/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from 32 oz growler into snifter,

A: Pours dark black with one to two finger mocha colored head that settles quickly and little to no lacing.

S: Milk chocolate, baked bread, and light coffee notes.

T: Semi-sweet chocolate morsels, and roasted coffee beans.

M: Full bodied and creamy texture. Very easy drinking.

O: This is a wonderful stout. Nice creamy mouthfeel, and chocolate notes. I could crush this all day, and looking forward to trying the barrel aged version.

Narwhal Imperial Stout from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.