Blindfold - Beer Camp #73 | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
sierranevada.com

Style: American Black Ale

Added by BEERchitect on 03-04-2013

3.9/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This beer caught me off-guard by a bit. I had a 22 oz. draft at a local restaurant in MI. Interesting tastes/smells.

Appearance: Black, 1/2 finger head, carbonation visible, the beer appears watery. I appreciate more head in my beer, but this particular city always fills the beer to the brim leaving little head. I appreciate the smell, so quantity isn't always good in my opinion.

Smell: I instantly smelled mint and black licorice. The cough drops 'Fisherman Friend' came to my mind. I passed the beer to my friends to see if they smelled the same, and they smelled a different aroma. They smelled oregano and thyme (Italian seasoning mix, pasta sauce). I tried finding these scents in the aroma, but I didn't find them as strong as my friends found them. A spice smell is definitely present.

Taste: The Italian spice is much more present in the taste, which I enjoyed. The spice taste is definitely from the hops, and it is a earthy tasting hop. There is a sweeter black licorice along with mint taste in the beer. In the Netherlands you can find different types of black licorice, and this is similar to a typical Dutch candy. Once again I can compare it to the cough drops 'Fisherman Friend,' but the taste is not so impactful. In summary: black licorice, mint, oregano, and thyme...this is an earthy beer.

Body: The body was crisp and refreshing. Very drinkable.

Overall: In my opinion it's a solid beer, and I would buy it again. I don't have too much experience tasting black ipas, but this was quite enjoyable. I like earthy beers, and this beer had those attributes. Also, my friends did not find the beer as enjoyable as I did. They thought the oregano and thyme tastes were too strong. They strongly suggested this tasted like spaghetti sauce seasoning.

3.93/5  rDev +4%

Poured on draft at The Mint Gastropub into a tulip glass.

A- black as night...very opaque, with great head retention and decent lacing around the glass.

S- aromas of hops and roasted malt. Quite biscuity.

T- hoppy, malty, a bit roasty...but crisp and refreshing

M- feels prickly on the tongue with a bitterness that is not too overwhelming. Quite bitter after swallowing but a pleasant bitterness...

O- a delicious beer. Does have interesting characteristics and an interesting flavor that contrasts its color, but it is well balanced and quite drinkable.

3.94/5  rDev +4.2%

On tap at The Great Lost Bear Portland.
Comes to the table a solid dark brown/black color with a decent sized tan head that dissipates slowly leaving a fair amount of sticky lace on the sides. Smells of pine resin and a hint of green onion backed up by a bit of caramel and coffee. The flavor is lightly roasty with a fair amount of malty sweetness. Earthy spicy resinous hop flavor does a great job providing balance. Medium body with a moderate level of carbonation and a resinous, almost chalky mouthfeel. Great tasting beer, but strikes me as a bit more of a hoppy porter. I'd drink more of it given the chance.

2.25/5  rDev -40.5%

3.75/5  rDev -0.8%

Blindfold - Beer Camp #73 from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.