Berliner Kindl Weisse | Berliner Kindl Brauerei

Availability: Summer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-17-2002

3.5

2.77/5  rDev -20.9%

Raspberry version at Winking Lizard. Light yellow/golden color with a thin and bubbly white head. Thin, spotty lacing. Tart fruit and raspberry aroma. Light body with a sour character and citrus/raspberry flavor. Very little wheat to be found. The finish is dry, fruity and astringent. Below average all around.

3.78/5  rDev +8%

Pours a cloudy light straw colour with a nice fluffy bright white head. Aroma is citric and sour with hints of tart green apples. Taste is initially a bit malty then becomes sour. The sourness gives way to a refreshing tartness. Definitly some green apple in the back end of the beer. Not as vinegary sour as say the Duchesse, but your cheeks will pucker a little for sure.

Mouthfeel is good with the spritely carbonation keeping the beer light on the palate.
Drinkability is slightly above average. The low ABV and refreshing nature of the beer make it drinkable, but I think after more than a couple the acidity and sourness might wear on the palate. Overall I would recommend this especially on a hot day.

4.15/5  rDev +18.6%

Thin silky head on a grey yellow color body. The smell seems like a mix of straw, whole milk and citrus, with notes reminiscent of a barn. Intriguing and interesting. The taste is fresh, citric with a dry malty character. The mouthfeel is very smooth and velvety, reminding me of oatmeal. After the specific Berliner taste that’s sour, acidic and slightly vinegary but controlled and enjoyable, the aftertaste is slightly grainy like in many German pilsners, but I find it quite enjoyable here, as it adds to the refreshing character of the brew. Surprizingly drinkable!

Bottle from the Sunset Grille in Brighton, MA after trying some of Drewbage's.

This beer is traditionally served with a syrup to mix in, either a woodruff or raspberry. I went with the raspberry for my bottle, Drewbage had the woodruff in his. I was surprised (and impressed) when the bartender asked Drewbage which syrup he'd like, as I had never witnessed this type of preperation before.

Amazingly some tartness still comes through in this beer despite the sweet raspberry syrup. A unique and satisfying beer drinking experience.

4.07/5  rDev +16.3%

11.2oz. bottle poured into a short stubby Berliner Weisse glass. It pours a medium gold color with one finger of head that dies off quickly. There is little lacing. The smell is slightly spicy, and has some tart grape character to it. The taste is fairly tart, with lots of sweet maltiness trying to balance it out. Almost puckering sour, but very refreshing. I think it would match nicely with pizza. The mouthfeel is fairly thick, something you wouldn't expect for this type of beer (especially with only 2.5% abv). The drinkability is good due to the low alcohol and cooling sensation that it brings to the palate. Decent beer!

3.62/5  rDev +3.4%

Stubby little squat bottle. Pale straw color with a bright white flashy head. Settles to an active spritz. Not much sticky suds. But attractive enough.

Lemony nose, tart apples, very subdued grassy hop aroma, or is that a mirage?

Big fizz, sour and puckering, a mineral wash of subtle fruit and wheat. Slightly dry finish, acidic and very refreshing. Why ruin this with syrups?

2.9/5  rDev -17.1%

Short stubby 330 mL bottle with a blue label.

Appearence: Golden with no head. Bubbly, champagny like.

Smell: Very sweet odor.

Taste: Very sweet taste, almost geuze like. Almost like apple cider. Very interesting but not very good.

Mouthfeel: A sharp mouthfeel is not very pleasant.

Drinikability: Not something I would like to have again, somewhat skunky.

3.35/5  rDev -4.3%

Pours with a one-finger white head that fades quickly leaving no lace. Cloudy amber color with some yeast left in the bottle. Light bodied and medium carbonation. Nose is a sweet malt and yeasty . Starts with some sweetness but the sourness quickly dominates, a clean, tart vingear finish. A different wheat. $2.95 for a 330ml bottle from Colonial Spirits Acton, MA.

4.38/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

At just 2.7% abv, this prototypical classic Berliner weisse is an incredibly refreshing and drinkable ale! Its just slightly hazy straw gold body displays its delicately effervescent bubbles beneath a short head of bright white. The head retention is limited but it does leaves some nice lace about the glass. The nose offers lightly tart wheat and nothing else, which is basically what's found in the flavor! There's very little bitterness at all, but it's not needed as the mild acidity dries it out! It's basic but interesting; and absolutely thirst quenching and drinkable!

4.48/5  rDev +28%

This looks like sunlight through the window at 3 pm. It's clear and coats the glass with an oiliness that is surprising. The white froth goes belly up, and disappears.
Smells like slightly sour white grape juice.
It has a lovely sourness like good apple cider vinegar. Right off the bat I'm surprised with the body. It's certainly a light beer, but it has great presence on the palate. Good mouthfeel. It has a mineral taste reminiscent of club soda. The sourness doesn't linger. Some ceylon cinnamon. Wow, this is quenching, quaint and quaffable. A new beer family for me, and I like it! No, I love it!! I really need to drink a case of this...at 2.5% I could, and then I would try the syrup.

3.8/5  rDev +8.6%

My first berliner weisse, so lets see what this has in store for me. I tried to order this at the German place in town, but they insisted that I have a syrup in it and I wanted to have it without. It pours a slightly hazy straw yellow color with a small head that falls to coat the top. The nose is slightly grainey, slightly lemoney tart. Okay. The flavor is pretty darn interesting. Lemoney sour/tart hits first with an understory of grainey, but not harsh, flavors. Interesting beer. I find it very refreshing. The feel is thin with a very big carbonation. I could sit down to a few of these on a warm summer night. Enjoyable, smooth, easy to drink. Nice brew.

3.4/5  rDev -2.9%

Well, this is interesting. don't think I have ever had a beer into which you are supposed to pour syrup. poured into its own special glass (flat bottom, extremely wide and short) green or raspberry syrup on the side. The sour smell is very sour, which I was warned about. Tried it without the syrup. Yup, Very sour. So experimented with the syrup (the green). Poured some in, swished around, tasted. Hum. Alittle more, try again. Ok. Alittle more. Well, this is an interesting beer. I really don't know how to score the taste, as it was not good, too sour, but by the bottom of the glass, alittle too sweet. In between, it was good. Plenty bubbly felt good too. But just too damn much work to be drinkable.

2.52/5  rDev -28%

05/09/05- Purchased at Wine Exchange of Sonoma.

Presentation- 11.1oz stubby bottle dated on the back label. Poured into my Dead Guy pint glass.

Appearance- Very macro-ish piss yellow color, medium seltzer looking head with minor lacing.

Smell- Maybe a tad grassy, with a main smell of apples.

Taste- Didn't know what to expect. Wasn't expecting the sourness. With that in mind I continued to drink, but could barely finish the pint. Weird citrus flavors and maybe some type of vegatable flavoring as well.

Mouthfeel- Quite carbonated, almost like seltzer. Very spritzy.

Drinkability- Well, I guess no need to try anymore of this style, or at least this brand. Too out there more me. Almost tasted a bit salty.

3.33/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

11.1 oz bottle I've had sitting in my fridge for a long time...but the label says best by 06/06, so here I go
Pours an extremely pale yellow, crystal clear, with just a small, blindingly white head. The head disappears quickly, and there is very little collar.
Smell is funky wheat, musty citrus. Slightly sweet malt, perhaps a bit toasty as well.
Holy crap is that sour. Tastes like pure lemon juice with a very odd wheaty background. Sourness kind of dominates, but hints of malt and soft wheat are present as well. Not much in the way of hops as far as I can tell. Extremely acidic, tart, and above all else, interesting.
Overall, as I said it's an interesting flavor, although I can't imagine having this one again any time in the near future. Sure glad I tried it though.

3.82/5  rDev +9.1%

Best before 08-07. ABV 2.7 instead of 2.5 but probably the same beer. poors in nicely but without a overwelming head as usually comes with a wheatbeer. Nice golden and clear beercolor.
Nose is sour, grainy and greenmalty alltogether intresting and good for the low amount of alcohol. Taste is also sour, malty, clean but without to much body what influences the mouthfeel negative. Aftertaste is good fresh and litle sourish again but not overdone. Good beer for warm sunny days.

3.97/5  rDev +13.4%

Tiny bottle from Whole foods. Poured into my Unibroue goblet. Mild white big bubbled head dissipates rapidly to zero head. Very pale yellow and mostly clear. Seems to get darker as it warms (probably my imagination). Huge aroma of apple and pear and that barnyard smell. Sour smell. Brief fizz, then some heavy sourness on top of mild clean wheat. Sour apple. Light but not thin. Finishes oily with lingering acidity. Touch of bitterness. Alcohol subtle. Refreshing.

Overall: my first for the style. Striking similiarity to geuze but lighter.

2.9/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

I had heard great things about this beer on top of the fact that the brewery (and in turn the style) is now defunct, so I thought I had better review this while I had the chance.

The appearance was so clear it was like slightly yellow water with a thin white head and hella carbonation rushing to the top. Nothing to impressive. The head retention was quite good, though.

As far as the taste goes, it is a verrry sour apple taste. Not much else to it. I wouldn't even be able to begin to pick apart the maltiness/hoppiness of it all, not to mention the different yeast esters and whatnot since the sour apple was all I could taste. I was hoping for something much more drinkable, especially considering the extremely low ABV. I had a bad enough time trying to finish the bottle though. I had hoped to move on from Belgians to German beer, but I don't think this was the right choice for the job. I could easily say this is the second most disgusting beer I've had next to the Petrus Pale Ale but only because I was able to finish this one since it was slightly less acidic tasting. I don't know what I'll do with the remaining 5... perhaps try to pawn them off on my friends, or of course I would trade to somebody on this sight who actually likes it (afterall, this is one of the last batches of of the Berliner Kindle Weisse you will likely see, and I'd rather somebody who enjoys it have the pleasure of finishing the last batch).

3.92/5  rDev +12%

This is a nice beer. Poured clear, bright and light. Yellowy light and golden color. Thin head at first then dissapeared. The aroma has a distinctive sour lemony hay note. Very pleasant and appetizing. Like a lemon lime spritzer. The taste is light and appealing. I once had this beer in Berlin with raspberry juice and it was burned into my memory as one of my favorite beer experiences. This brings me back a little. The sourness in the taste is refreshing. It's just right. Not too puckering or overwhelming. It borders on lambicville. Overall, this is another fine beer experience. Maybe better enjoyed as a hot day thirst quencher and not a cold snowy day beer!

3.83/5  rDev +9.4%

Pours a pale straw color with a light white head that leaves just a slight lace. Green apples mixed with a tart and sour tone make up the aromas of this brew. Initial flavors are a spritzy mix of sour apples and slight wheat tones, with a tart and slight acidic finish. The mouthfeel to this brew was somewhat dissapointing because the body was quite thin, but this is probably due to the low alcohol levels of this brew, and its usage as a thirst quencher. Overall an enjoyable brew for a hot summers day but this isn't currently doing it for me, considering it is 4 degrees outside right now.

3.65/5  rDev +4.3%

My first venture into this style. I've always been intrigued by this rare beer, and finally found some at Hi-Times. Anyway, pours a very pale, almost chalky, yellow with lots of champagne-like effervescence. Firm, yet fluffy white head.
Nose is made up sour lemon juice. It's very tart, with a faint wheat malt background, and a hint of apple. Interesting. Preparing for puckering of mouth...
Yep. It's a little puckering. Lambic/gueze-like in its tart, sourness. Kinda like lemon juice too. I can see why the Berlin folk often add syrup. But at the same time, I'm glad to be trying this in its raw form. Stays tart, but a traces of mellow wheat/cereal malt poke through before, and into, the finish. Lacks complexity, but I guess it's only 2.5% abv. Light body, with lots of carbonation. Would be quite refreshing if it weren't so tart. I wouldn't drink this every day, but I do like it.

4.22/5  rDev +20.6%

the first, and only (as of yet) berliner style weiss i've had. incredibly drinkable. all i can think of is a hot summer day. forget those pilsners. much more drinkable than belgian wits, yet lighter than regular german weiss beers. there is zero hints of those expected phenols from german wheat beers (which i love). yet i was fully satisfied with what this beer had to offer. not much head to speak of, nor much aroma. only a slight citrus\sour note, a bit tart. this beer is delicious. toms of flavor; tart citrus such as grapefruit, lemon, with a lovely sour\dry finish. lingers in your mouth begging for one more. probably one of the best "hot day" session beers ever. i will keep in mind to try more beers of this style.

3.12/5  rDev -10.9%

Zowie! What a zip this beer has (but it's only momentary). It pours a bright lemon yellow with a faint, and I mean faint, head. Very pretty beer! It almost appears to have champagne bubbles rising from the bottom center of my glass, almost like a reverse vortex.

It smells like Old Mud Light, or at least what I can remember that tasting like from when it was the only thing a teenager could get ahold of back in Kansas. I'm not impressed on the smell.

The taste surprised me after the blandness of the smell. It's a selzer-like carbonation that has a real kick followed by a tart, citrus zing. This is the first beer that's I've tasted like this. I barely taste malt.

The mouthfeel is such a part of the taste that I find it hard to seperate the two. Almost champagne-like in my mouth.

Drink this bad-boy COLD. As it warmed, it became almost too acidic. Odd little beer, but I might drink again...kind of like Zotz candy in a beer.

2.7/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance – This one is light orangish-yellow in color with a big head that literally disappeared in seconds. What a dud.

Smell – There’s almost no smell to this beer. I know it’s supposed to be delicate, but come on. I can pick up some faint citrusy notes but that’s about it.

Taste – The orange notes from the aroma turned into orange syrup at the taste. I can barely pick up some yeasty flavors (which saved the day) but otherwise there’s not much to this one.

Mouthfeel – This light-bodied fizzball was hard to hold in the mouth. The carbonation, which IMO is one of the most important aspects of a Weissbier, was cheap and fizzy like Alka-seltzer.

Drinkability – This is not even close to what I was expecting. I don’t know why I even finished the bottle.

3.05/5  rDev -12.9%

What a strange brew. Pours out a very pale yellow/golden color with a nice head that wears off eventually. Smell consisted of lemon aromas, some slight yeast, sour like, almost on the border of geuze/lambic with the sour aromas. Taste was a little weird. Huge lemon flavors rush towards the palate with some tart flavors mixing in as well. Finishes on the clean side to my surprise. A little spritzy as well. I have to try a few of these to see if I like this beer or not. A really "out there" style.

1.59/5  rDev -54.6%

Beer pours a clear straw color almost reminiscent of a pilsner. It has a short lived white head that settles to a light laciness. Carbonation is low.

The aroma has and acidic metallic character to it. It reminded me of a bad lambic experience and I did not care to give my nose a second opinion.

It hits the palette with an immediate dry acidic punch and finishes with hints of fruit.

Mouth feel is smooth with the light carbonation helping cut the acidity.

This is one of two beers I pored out in my life due to taste. Two friends also refused to adopt the glass after they tasted it. It seems that many really enjoyed this beer, but I will not be visiting it again nor can I recommend it.

Berliner Kindl Weisse from Berliner Kindl Brauerei