Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Bärenpils | Berliner Kindl Brauerei

Style: German Pilsener

Added by brewdlyhooked13 on 07-17-2004

Reviews by paulaner:
4.53/5  rDev +23.8%

I have been living here in Germany for the last year and have been trying every possible beer that I can get a hold of. My recent trip to Berlin brought up quite a few more beers than I had expected. I would have to say that when I first saw this beer I did'nt think it would be that good being that it had what looked like a little kids drawing of a bear on it but as soon as I opened it and tried it the old saying "don't judge a book by its cover" was true ounce again. Unlike the same boring old pils taste this had a quite distinct flavour to it that would have to be tried to explain it. It was a very smooth taste that every drink made you want the taste back on your pallate. The color was a glistening golden tone with a ivory tone head, and it bubbled almost like a fine champagne. This is a must try for anyone who can find it.

3.65/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours white gold with a creamy snow white head that quickly fades to film with no trailing. Nose is minerally light grain and a hint of noble hops. Cream of Wheat malt and mild but zesty spice hops. Light, round, creamy and crisp.

For being extremely light, packs in a good amount of flavor. Which is not the same thing as saying it's an interesting or substantial beer. Picture a German Coors Light and you're halfway there.

3.7/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Beer bottle (50cl, label with a bear), tasted in 2008.

Appearance : a golden color, with a white foamy head (lacing).
Smell : hops, grassy and malted aromas.
Taste and mouthfeel : sweet, and bitter finish.
Drinkability : a good beer in the style German pilsener.

3.38/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It's a macro German pilsner. What more is there to say? Straw colored with a decent head. Smells of subtle German hops, which is more than I can say for most. Tastes sweeter than I would like, but has a hoppy finish. Goes down smooth.

Good beer for the summer. Gets the "Better than the other Kindl pilsners" prize, I suppose.

3.68/5  rDev +0.5%

Had the pleasure of sampling several Pilsners this holiday. This has not been my favorite so far but was pleasant and enjoyable.

A: Straw colored, with a light foamy head that clings to the glass.
S: Subtle, slight hop, can't tell you much more than that.
T: Pleasant, light, slightly less hoppy than most Pils I've tried, smooth aftertaste.
M: Smooth, not very carbonated, nice tingle to the tongue!
D: Very good, highly enjoyable. Oh, it goes great with cornbread too.

Bärenpils from Berliner Kindl Brauerei