Re Ale Extra | Birra Del Borgo

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 70 | Ratings: 196
3.03/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle poured into an Irish pint glass. I can't locate a freshness date or anything like that on the bottle, so I'm hoping this is still fresh.

Look: pours with way too much head, so this is bottle conditioned and a little too much conditioning must have went on. After ten to minutes or so, enough is in the glass and enough head has dissipated for me to be able to actually drink it. The body is hazy, golden color. The head is thick, fluffy, and leaves layers of very stubborn lacing behind.

Smell: earthy hops with lemon and a good deal of fruitiness, but not too hoppy.

Taste: much fruitier than I would expect from an American IPA. Grapefruit, pineapple and some orange are the big hitters in this. Some hints of floral and earthy hops but that's all. There's a chalky, almost oxidization type taste in the finish, which bumps down this beer.

Feel: this is where this beer really falls flat (pun intended). Given the initial pour, I imagine that by the time I got to drink it, a lot of the carbonation was lost, since my experience was drinking a beer that was pretty much flat. Its a little sweet for an IPA and that off aftertaste doesn't help it either. Its reasonably easy drinking but given the flatness and the aftertaste mentioned above, this is one that I had to go slow on.

Overall: it was okay. I've had worse IPAs but I've certainly had better. It wasn't really hoppy enough for me and the issues concerning carbonation, too much head formation, and that strange off taste I found in the finish really hurt this beer for me. Cheers!

4.32/5  rDev +11.1%

Glowing transparent gilt-edged copper topped with a thin scattering of head dust that left almost invisible strands of lace. The aromas are distinctly hop-centric: citrus peel, fresh blooming flowers, a touch of pine sap, and even some hints of earth. The hops lead things off with a bright citrus note that reminds me of old school West coast IPAs. Slowly, the additional hop elements come forth with the citrus and earth flavors remaining long through the finish. The malt is in the passenger seat and contributes a touch a bread crust and serves as a skeletal framework on which to hang the wonderful variety of hop flavors that keep on coming. A subtle honey-like sweetness emerges with warmth and also contributes a touch of spiciness. Dry, but not overly so, the medium bodied and soft carbonation make this an easy beer to consume. The menu listed this as a Belgian IPA, but I did not detect any typical Belgian traits. Nonetheless, this was an enjoyable beer to end the night. The 12 ounce glass was $9 at Rustico in Alexandria.

3.7/5  rDev -4.9%

10.49 + tax at my local bottle shop

Bottle reads 6.4 ABV

Serving type: Poured from 12.7 oz bottle to a pint glass

Appearence: Golden orange color. Cloudy, Unfiltered. Half of my pint was foam so im thinking high co2

Aroma: A little Hops, Some malt but mostly yeast aroma. Bready

Taste: Hop bitterness is definantly low but crisp. I would'nt think IPA without it being stated. Some maltiness as well.

Mouthfeel: Light, crisp, nice co2 bite

Overall: Great beer, just wish it was cheaper

4.15/5  rDev +6.7%

Reviewed solo served into a NYC craft beer week pint glass.

Appearance: slightly cloudy orange and tan, with a bubbly 1 1/2 finger head.

Smell: Floral hops and malts

Taste: Opens with briefly spicy malt open as a floral/flowery profile takes over in the middle. As the finish approaches a hop bitter profile joins the floral/flowery profile leaving a mild bitter/ floral and malt aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: light bodied, moderate carbonation and clean and yet not so clean

Drinkability: I would have this again because of a well balanced malt and hop profile. I recommend this to those who seek/enjoy a unique malt and hop profile with a clean/ lingering finish.

3.89/5  rDev 0%

Picked up a bottle of this at Eataly-NYC a few months ago and let it sit outside of the fridge for fifteen minutes before serving. Oooh, bottle cap pops off with a carbonation that sounds like that of a champagne. Poured into a snifter, this appears a semi clear dirty orange golden color with a hefty and dense suddsy head. Carbonation looks huge...Poured in the sediment at the bottom of the bottle toward the end of my glass for a cloudy look. Aroma is a moderate one with notes of blended citrus hops and pale malt. Opening carries a giant carbonated bitterness that I didn't see coming from the aroma. Bright hop and balancing malt harmony brings together a solid American IPA-esque body with a slightly sweet herbal tea note to the hops in the finish. This is a great "palate scrubbing" brew for the spicy cuisines...I'll be getting more of this to pair with spicy Mexican and Indian dishes...

3.88/5  rDev -0.3%

This bad boy was on cask and wow what a smooth tasting beer.

A – Really nice burnt orange in color with some reddish hints too. Very small ring of bubbles around the glass which slowly disappeared into nothing.

S – Some malt sweetness a small bit of hops in there too.

T – Really nice malty sweetness with very little hoppiness.

M – So smooth with no carbonation bite at all. Light to medium bodied.

O – Overall this was really nice and smooth…not the normal hop bite you would expect but really good.

3.94/5  rDev +1.3%

a decent shot at America IPA done in Italy, many of the necessary traits needed, good looking color with a slight orange hue great head and impressive lacing, smell was hoppy and notes of citrus, taste was light but steady with a true PA sense and very dry , very slight citrus on front and the hoppy length with a mild bitterness, feel was mild carbonation not heavy and no traits of alcohol, overall not bad, actually pretty good. if they keep perfecting their craft they will get there.

Pours a hazy orange/apricot. I got a 1-2 finger foamy head in my tulip glass. Nice fresh light citrus and yeasty aroma. Nice tart slightly sour bite on the tongue. It's lingering bitter tartness which makes it a good companion to a nice pasta or chicken dish.

4.22/5  rDev +8.5%

A- Beautiful honey golden color. Foamy, creamy white head, leaves a little lacing

S - Strong floral aroma of honeysuckle, honey, orange, grapefruit hops, and malt.

T- first flush is sweet malt, honey and orange, then the bitter hop asserts itself and lingers at the back of the tongue.

M- Very fine carbonation that feels almost flat. Seems like the one drawback to this IPA for me. Just the tiniest bit of sweet stickiness on the tongue

O- Overall I enjoyed this IPA. Not quite an AIPA, but a kissing cousin. sweet, very floral, and hoppy dry all working in harmony.

4.91/5  rDev +26.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Found this on tap at Bir & Fud in the Trastevere district of Rome. It was the ONLY beer I found in Italy which I would truly call an IPA (there were a lot of other swings & misses!). The nose is a wonderful perfume of oranges and vanilla. The flavor is a little flat and heavy but with sweet orange blossom up front and a smooth vanilla finish. The hops were used with restraint, so the citrus qualities are loud & proud, but there is little to no bitterness in the finish. This is a beautiful Pale Ale which I would proudly serve to my IPA-geek friends in the US! It was also a very welcome reminder of home during a long hot trip.

3.26/5  rDev -16.2%

A - Pours with lots of head (actually, ive come back to edit this because I've realized as I drink it that its overcarbonated, it had to open the cap very slowly as I heard it hissing loudly, and pour very slow as well so there wasnt too much foam), very light in color, almost like a light amber ale.

S - citrousy, bitter hops, not much else to smell

T - Good hop flavor, I found i to be a a little light on bitterness *edit* bitterness is good.

M - Good smooth mouthfeel, very much like a light beer, but as I drink it im realizing that it is overcarbonated and is hard to swallow with all of the CO2 its producing

D - drinkable, but not necessarily the most flavor or best example of an American IPA, also lots of burping due to overcarbonation.

4.12/5  rDev +5.9%

This beer has a nice color in the glass, slightly cloudy. It has lots of citrus notes, evergreen pine, and earth notes in the smell. Crisp hop flavor, citrus and fresh cut grass, immediately hit on the nose. Malty finish. It would make a great summer beer, if not for its expense. I might rather it have a bit more body, but Overall, I enjoyed this beer.

3.9/5  rDev +0.3%

I had this on tap at Max's during their Italian Fest. Golden in color, not clear, white head. This was listed as an IPA. You get a good smack of sweet honey up front, followed by the hops that aren't very strong. I don't like severe IPAs, so I didn't mind that it wasn't very strong, but the honey was a bit too sweet to compliment the hops. Mouthfeel was pretty good. Easy to drink, hop-wise, but the sweetness of the honey makes it a little slower to drink.

4.66/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This beer was recommended to me as a good Italian IPA by a local beer store while on vacation in Italy. It was a great find for me. I love IPA's and this is great one. It truly brings out the fruitiness of the cascade hops used to make it.

A: The beer pours with a thick white to beige head that settles slowly and leaves some lace on the class. The beer itself is golden to amber in color.

S: Upon first opening the bottle (which was room temp) I smelled apricots above all along with the piney notes characteristic of IPA's. The apricot aroma persisted even after being poured.

T: There are subtle hints of apricots, peaches and the bitters of the hops which mix well together. The bitters linger on the palate but are not harsh.

M: The beer is well carbonated giving a somewhate rough mouth feel in the front of the sip but finishes smooth.

Overall: I wish I could pick this up locally. I am a fan of IPA's and this is by far one of my favorites. I would definitely have this again (several times) if given the opportunity. Definitely worth a try if you get the chance.

3.49/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

When poured, it was a very dark shade of orange and pretty cloudy. Very foamy, and good lacing. Smells quite like pine, kind of floral as well. Nothing superb stood out about the taste, but there was definitely some pine in it. It was harder to notice at first but as time went on and the beer warmed up the flavor was definitely brought out. The one thing that I did not like about it was that it was so dry. If you like dry IPAs then this is definitely for you, but if not, I would look elsewhere.

3.87/5  rDev -0.5%

Purchased in an IPA sampler pack from Wishbeer in Bangkok.

A cloudy amber appearance with thick head that lasts a long while and a decent amount of lacing on the glass.

Sweet bready smell with a decent amount of citrus and earthy hops.

Taste is strong. A solid grain / malt / bread base plus a hint of grapefruit and a crisp strong hops finish.

Medium body with a good CO2 bite.

Overall a good IPA. Well balanced flavor, but not over the top.

4.37/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Seeing as I am just starting to acquire a taste for the hoppier beers, there are not very many IPAs I can say I truly enjoyed. The fact that I can say that about this beer speaks for itself. It had a pleasantly hoppy aroma without making me weary. Its taste was delicious and it lacked the strong bitter finish which I dislike. Being in the style of an American IPA but actually from Italy was probably a contributing factor to my enjoyment because I didn't have to worry about it being too 'extreme', as IPAs from The States usually are. This beer is a great place to start for those such as myself who want to like IPAs but are still working on appreciating them to their fullest capacity.

4.94/5  rDev +27%

Off the bottle menu at churchkey dc. Gorgeous custom bottle. Lively bottle conditioning demands an unhurried pour. Appearance is hazy orange-straw with a fluffy straw-white head that is in no hurry to fade away. Aroma is grassy citrusy, but posses a depth of character that is quite uncommon. The same could be said of the flavor. Vastly deep and complex, citrusy, grassy, piney, herbal, and rustic. My guess would we be a delicate but assertive blend of US and noble hops. Malt backbone is bready with a touch of camarel. Finishes with a lovely dry gentle tartness, that is reminiscent of a fine farmhouse ale. Exceptional.

4.41/5  rDev +13.4%

On tap at the U Pick 6 Tap House in Erie, Pa.
Appearance is deep golden, very good lacing.
Aroma is of balance of hops and malt.
Taste is of sweet malt and tangy hop flavor. Good hop flavors with mild bitterness and finish. Crisp, clean flavors.
Overall an execellent ipa not as intense as american ipas but very flavorful and quaffable. Tastes fresh and delicious. Pricey but worth seeking out to try at least once. Glad I got to try this one before it was gone.

4.78/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

My first review on beer advocate.

First i would like to say I have enjoyed this beer from their regular bottle which ran around 19 dollars and from the bigger bottle that ran around 37 dollars. I enjoyed the smaller bottle more simply because the flavors seemed more concentrated, the mouth feel was much creamier and the nose seemed to be more floral.

The beer pours a perfect two finger head and resembles a solid reddish golden. Exactly like the picture on their website every pour.

The smell is robust and very appealing, cascade hops elevated on the top of a slight caramel and light apple or apricot being slowly heated on the stove. Very good.

I normally am not a huge fan of the taste of american IPA's. This opened up the world of IPA's for me. I can only describe it as fresh creamy floral activity exploding on my palate and cleansing everything that was before, finishing crisp and clean and slightly dry but not an uncomfortable dry. Amazing .. just perfect.

The mouthfeel i can only compare to that of a weihenstephaner. Except cleaner, crisper and creamier at the same time. It goes in your mouth and expands into creamy frothiness. So delicate but big. I would have to say this beer in the smaller bottle has the best mouthfeel i have ever encountered.

This is an experience worth having. I have tried many IPA's and for me this is the pinnacle of an IPA. It does not go overboard with the hops and every other aspect of the beer is spot on fantastic.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last