My Antonia (Birra Del Borgo & Dogfish Head) | Birra Del Borgo

My Antonia (Birra Del Borgo & Dogfish Head)My Antonia (Birra Del Borgo & Dogfish Head)
Liked This Beer

Liked:
4.02/5
Alströms:

4.95/5  rDev +23.1%

Bought a bottle of this from Harvest Wine & Spirits in West Hartford, CT. Poured into a pilsner glass. Orange-amber semi-cloudy brew with an amazingly thick creamy head that lasted the length of the drink's life, receding into a petri-dish style head at the end. The hoppy, citrusy notes coming off this smell are amazing with a taste that just blew my mind, completely changing my definition of what I thought a pilsner was. The mouthfeel was a bit acidic in the late late aftertaste, but other than that, I can't find a single flaw in this beer. Loved it, loved it, and would absolutely recommend it!

4.88/5  rDev +21.4%

It's not brewed continusouly by Dogfish in Delaware. You know it's going to be good when even the foam is tasty. It pours with a big, creamy head. The color is a slightly cloudy gold. The aroma is big with grapefruit and hops. The flavor is very reminiscent of a medium IPA like their 60 Minutes. But it's somehow cleaner than that. The spiced hops are there. Lots of grapefruit, lemon, and coriander. But it slides down the tongue instead of punching it. The lagering really helps mellow the flavors without muting them. You could down many of these without hesitation despite the 7.5% alcohol. It's just that clean and smooth without sacrificing flavor. Why haven't I seen this before? Truly a great concept and a new favorite.

4.64/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.63/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.6/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.6/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A: 2" of hazy burnt orange liquid with about 14" of thick white head. This might be the most overcarbonated beer I've ever poured. After it finally settles it reveals a glass full of hazy orange beer with a nice retained head and lace.

S: Complex interplay of sweet orange ,lemon, pine, nutmeg, clove, caramel, yeasty esters.

T: Wow. Really nice flavors of citrus hops, some pine, some tropical fruit, light nuttiness, caramel. Very yeasty as well.

M: Much more full bodied than any pilsner I've had before. Its creamy and light. Doesnt have a carbonated feel at at all. Not nearly as crisp and dry as most pilsners but I like this mouth feel a lot more.

O: Amazing pilsner. Only one Ive had that I like more is Humulus by The Bruery and its very close.

4.58/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

4.58/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

4.55/5  rDev +13.2%

This is just one of those beers imho. A golden liquid that when the light hits it just right does have that light olive oil sheen mentioned in another review. A faint cloudiness. Head is moderate and retention is good with a moderate amount of lacing.

Smell is intriguing. A big buttery malt backbone and grassy notes. A clean hop spiciness and light pepper. A touch of citrus.
Light herbal notes

Taste is uniquie. The buttery malt from the nose seems to hit your tongue before the beer wets your lips. A nicely integrated butterscotch lays underneath it. The malt core of this one is subtly complex. Big breads and and golden toasted Italian breadcrusts. I think I taste the alcohol but I can't be sure so who cares! Citrus and spicy hops come in and balance this beautifully. Clean extra dry finish leaves a deliciously huge bitterness reminiscent of a very dry white wine. Feel is crisp and supple, with a perfectly light and refreshing character. Carbonation is spot on and weight is just heavy enough to satisfy.

Super drinkability. The only thing that kept me from buying a larger quantity is the price of this one. As it was my 32oz was gone way too fast.

A superb brew that I wish I could keep around. Nice job Birra Del Borgo/DFH. Sam you have done it again.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A: A hazy gold color with lots of carbonation and a large white head that stands on top of the beer. Good lacing down the glass.

S: A very fragrant herbal and earthy hop aroma with some yeast and a slight alcohol aroma.

T: A nice herbal hop flavor with a bit of sweet malt to balance it out. There is also a slight peach and apple fruitiness. The beer is a little bit bitter in the finish, but there is enough sweetness in the beer to provide a smooth even finish.

M: This is the best attribute of the beer. A medium body with a very silky smooth feel.

O: I really enjoyed this beer. It is very well crafted. The hop is dominant in this beer, it is crisp and balanced well with the sweet malt.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Holy Braumeister! A collaboration between Birra Del Borgo & Dogfish Head (two of my favourite brewers). Yes "Don't get excited by Dogfish Head, you've only tried one of their brews" I hear you saying but what a beer that was! [technically it was a Sahti, not a beer Dok] Anyway, let's talk about this amazing collaboration between these world class brewers - Birra Del Borgo are already my firm favourite for Italian brewer of the year (every year running) and Dogfish Head are renowned for mixing the shit (pronounced in this sense "SHI-yat") up. So fingers are crossed, except for my left index - I broke it just then.

Poured from a Birra Del Borgo stylised (fat bodied with a tall neck) 330ml bottle into a Chimay chalice.

A: This hazy light orange/golden bodied beer with a light white lacing on top is already pushing all the right buttons on the beer receptors in my brain (yes I have beer receptors in my brain, don't you?).

S: The aroma is melon/tropical from the go. Honeydew intermingles with guava, lychee and sweet honeyed malts (no doubt that signature Birra Del Borgo Senatore Cappeli wheat)... my tongue salivates with the taste odyssey that awaits.

T: Flavour hits you in the face like a soft wet cat skin gauntlet (yes I went specific on that metaphor) before you notice a big meaty hop bite, which is where Dogfish Head come in to this collaboration - the hops! This is one well-crafted craft brew - starts off with a sweet honeyed malt, then it leads in to the tropical fruit noted above, and then BZAM! Hops - not your typical American pine/citrus hop overload but enough to make you realise that this partnership between Birra Del Borgo & Dogfish Head is kismet. Beer-heaven as opposed to beer-heavin' (which one gets from drinking VB).

M: Medium bodied with a smooth and dense carbonation - if I'm giving out arbitrary points, which I am, ten points here.

D: This beer takes the best of Birra Del Borgo (their malt/wheat and yeast profile) and mixes it with the best of what an American brewer like Dogfish Head has to offer (hops of course, silly rabbit). What this produces is a beer that is easily an equal measure of what Belgium has to offer - I do not say this lightly. A wonderful mix of both the new & old world here.

Food match: This is a brew that would feel at home with a Thai noodle salad or light BBQ fare - grilled chicken, sausages, minute steaks, potato salad and coleslaw - a veritable everymeal beer.

4.54/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A-Hazy yellow with a thick white head that is velvety and creamy
S-Notes of lemon citrus and earthy musty dank hop aromas
M-Medium mouthfeel and perfect medium carbonation
T-Sweet upfront with a perfect balance of bitter hop flavour at the back end and finishes smooth, rich and resinous
O-This is a wonderful beer, fantastic collaboration! Last day of trip...figures this is when I find something I could drink!!

My Antonia (Birra Del Borgo & Dogfish Head) from Birra Del Borgo