Duchessic Ale | Birra Del Borgo

Birra Del Borgo
Italy
birradelborgo.it

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

A sort of "collaboration beer" with the famous Belgian brewery Brasserie Cantillon: an interesting experiment on the world of spontaneous fermentation. Our classic Duchess - Spelt beer - is was cut with a 20% of Cantillon lambic aged one year. The result is a unique beer that blends in an extraordinary way the characteristic acidity and roughness of lambic with delicate and gentle notes of the Duchess.

Added by ATPete on 11-01-2009

Liked:
4.15/5
Alströms:

12.7oz bottle into my Duvel tulip. There's a little hiss as the cap is popped off. Stamp on the back says 07 2013.

A - hazy golden yellow. Good thing this Duvel tulip is pretty big, since this beer had an enormous amount of thick foamy head that left big clumps of lacing as it went down. Interesting! Had to let that bad boy sit out for a bit to settle down. There's a little bit of sediment at the bottom.

S - first funky lemon and grape, then musty barnyard. Hay and wheat on the finish. Seems to be like what the bottle indicates, saison with lambic blended in.

T - sour and acidic. Pretty light, very citrusy and fruity (grapes, tart apples, lemon, orange). Some spicy pepper (white pepper, coriander) notes as well. A little hop bitterness in the finish. Pretty complex, but it goes together better than it seems it should.

M - light-to-medium, but with a dry finish. Almost a little too carbonated, but it didn't ruin anything. Alcohol is well hidden but present in the finish.

D/O - pretty good beer, tasted like I thought it probably would. I'm more of a lambic fan, so this was nice to try to get to know saisons a little better. I don't know that I'll seek it out again, but it was enjoyable.

Received in a trade with jleblanc and consumed on 10/31/2009. The beer pours an interesting, vibrant, and hazy peach orange. I didn't let this settle more than a day before I opened it so the haze is likely my fault. The head is one finger, fizzy, and white. Retention is decent.

I was very interested in this beer when I first heard about it, and then I learned it was a one year lambic in the blend and my expectations dropped a bit. I'm immediately greeted by the signature wet leather that alerts me to Brett's presence. The citrus is prominent in the form of orange and lemon. Wheat notes are strong, and I detect subtle lactic notes as well as some yeast character. I get neither alcohol nor hops in the aroma.

The flavor opens up with a low level of lactic sourness with a little tartness, segueing into citrus wheat. The orange notes are almost tangy, and Brett is again present in a subtle form, imparting mustiness. The finish exhibits low lactic sourness with lingering citrus. The beer is light bodied with a lower level of carbonation.

This is interesting stuff that I can't help but think will improve with a bit of age. Recommended.

Poured a dark gold w/ minimal head that gave off minor head that died quick w/ lace. Nose and taste are the same; semi-sweet w/ a good touch of fruit like citrus and tart cherry although not so much tartness in this at all. Easy to drink w/ a crisp finish.

Duchessic Ale from Birra Del Borgo