Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Style: American IPA

Added by mcallister on 03-01-2007

Ratings: 1,312 |  Reviews: 454
4.88/5  rDev +15.9%

Very nice translucent golden-amber color with visual carbonation. Solid, thick 2 finger frothy eggshell colored head with great retention and lacing.

Nice floral, piney, citrus-grapefruit notes on the nose with just a touch of caramel.

Probably the best balance for an IPA I've ever had. Malt to hops blended so well. Nice floral and citrus notes with a touch of caramel malt in the aftertaste.

Very smooth mouthfeel, especially for an IPA. No bitter sting alot of ipas tend to have. Good carbonation. Crisp and refreshing.

Overall I think the name, like the bottle says, says it all. This is now the best IPA ive ever had. I cannot find a fault in this beer Excellent flavor, nose, balance and look. A very easy drink. A must find. So glad I cracked this beer on this hot SoCal 4th of July weekend.

4.88/5  rDev +15.9%

A bomber purchased fresh 4/22, opened 5/7.

Lives up to it's name. The word is balance. Lightly amber, it starts with a big head that slowly fades. Plenty of lace to go around. There is a very slight haze and a medium amount of carbonation. Aroma is big. Lots of pine and tropical fruit. Plenty of hop bitterness, but not over the top, destroy your taste buds, like many West Coast IPAs. Soft mouth feel and semi dry middle and finish. Taste profile is similar to aroma with enough malt sweetness to keep the hops from dominating. Medium leaning toward light body and long bitter finish.

4.88/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.87/5  rDev +15.7%

A: hazy dark orange with beautiful fluffy 1 finger head (poured into snifter). Leaves a nice lace on glass.

S: tons & tons of citrus & tropical fruits.. Peach, orange, mango, apricot, sweet caramel, with pine notes & grapefruit.. Just a RIPE smelling brew.

T: more of what the nose offered. Orange, peach, mango, grapefruit, finesse apricot flavor, with caramel to smooth everything out. Just a perfect mixture. Finishes with a nice citrus bitterness that lingers.. Not a heavily dry finish, but it does leave you puckering..

MF: the feel could have been a tad bit heavier IMO, but the carbonation is spot on.

D: SCARY GOOD! I had to slow myself down because I couldn't resist another sip..

Honestly, when I picked this up I was scared it wasn't fresh (purchased in SD & bottle has no date), so I only purchased one. As soon as I cracked this open and smelled I knew it was fresh!! The taste was the icing on cake.. I was honestly blown away by this beer & can say I prefer this over PtE.

Thank you KRBC!! Too bad I'm not back in my hometown which was an hour drive from there.

Cheers!!

4.85/5  rDev +15.2%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a Snifter.

I've had this beer several times and have never had the time to review it, so here it goes

A - Pours a somewhat hazy amber with a head that’s as stiff as I have seen on a nitro poured beer. Amazing looking off white head. As the head recedes it leaves behind a nice trail as if a snail had crawled down the sides of the glass.

S – Tons of citrus, and pineapple. I’m also picking up tropical fruits such as mango and orange. A slight breadiness is present but its mostly overshadowed by the citrus aromas.

T – This is a delicious IPA which follows the smell very closely. Nice citrus and pine up front with a nice malt presence to balance it out. Such a clean and crisp IPA. KBC has mastered the IPA.

M - Medium bodied and nice light carbonation.

O – The label reads that “The name says it all” and I cant agree more. This beer is Just outstanding. It really is one of the best IPA's I’ve enjoyed thus far. This is one of the best examples of a great West Coast IPA. Come to think of it, this may be my favorite (non-special release) IPA.

4.82/5  rDev +14.5%

Poured into my Chamay glass from a 22oz bomber.

A - Orange and reddish color, very sticky residue from the foam all over the sides of the glass.

S - Wow! This smells wonderful...very fresh and smells like I am walking through a pine forest...cannot wait to taste this one.

T - Wonderful bitter taste that keep going on forever...smooths out a bit in the middle with the sugar then comes back and bites you in the ass at the end.

M - Nice and balanced not too thick or too thin really loving this.

D - Could session this all night goes down very well even w/ the bitter finish.

This is in my top 5 IPA's forsher...I will be getting this over and over again. Really liking this brewery...Class V stout is great as well.

4.8/5  rDev +14%

Not sure why it's taken me so long to track this one down. Saw it last night at City Beer Store and pulled the trigger. I tried to come in with average expectations.

A - Beautiful cloudy orange in a Guinness glass, moderately active and great head retention and lacing.

S - Wow. Not overpowering but a swirl brings out mangos, lemons, grapefruit, oranges, and melons. Nice pineapple comes out as it warms. Quite honestly...this beer even smells creamy...makes me just as anxious for the mouthfeel as it does the taste.

T - JUST OUTSTANDING. Follows nose 100% and as it warms the malt backing this up must be perfect because it's very creamy as it is bitter. Amazing from a single IPA. So refreshing, Perfect bitterness. It's there but not at all overpowering or lacking. Did I say the bitterness is Perfect? Perfect for the style. I love this beer. This beer is better than 75% of all the DIPAs out there and I've had about all the hyped DIPAs on this site.

M - Perfect balance between creamy for an IPA (or DIPA for that matter) and bitterness. Goes down perfect. I can find no flaws in this deptartment

O - I will say this, which is not a flaw in my book but at 6.8%, it drinks bigger to me like a 7.5% beer might...in a good way though.

Final Thoughts - When it comes to Hops, here's a brewery to look out for. Step aside Blind Pig and Sculpin...I believe I like this beer just a wee bit more when it comes to single IPAs. Blows Union Jack out the water. I expected to like this beer but not this much. Craig at City Beer said it's been sitting in the fridge for 2 weeks which probably makes this beer close to a month old. I can only imagine what this beer would have been like from the source or within a week of bottling. I was impressed with Citra in relation to the DIPA style but not as impressed I am with Just Outstanding for the IPA style.

I want more...

4.8/5  rDev +14%

Poured this into a Russian River tulip. Had a Pliny the Elder about 15 minutes before this one.

Was excited when I saw this bottle in the store as I heard good things about it. I believe it to be very fresh as a case of it was laying near the coolers.

Poured a nice tangerine with a quickly dying head.

Aroma of delightful citrus notes - tangerine, tangelo, passion fruit - with a fantastic yet shy hoppy presence. Like Pliny's little sister. I was really looking forward to that first sip.

An amazingly drinkable IPA. A very mellow, not in-your-face IPA that holds up well. A very faint and unobtrusive aftertaste of lovely hops and orange. No bitter hoppy bite on this one.

Tastes great in the mouth - light and refreshing; you can gulp this one down. Carbonation is just at the right level.

4.8/5  rDev +14%

Bomber into an Alpine pint glass. Thanks for this extra mashmaster.

Pours a hazy orange, though I can see my finger through the glass. A perfect one-finger white head with tight bubbles lasts like a layer of fresh snow. Upon refilling my glass, stiff meringue-like peaks form.

Unadulterated mangoes and papayas in the nose. This smells like a blended Dole fruit juice, one of those Strawberry-Banana-Orange mixes. Possibly the purest fruit aromas I've gotten out of an IPA.

Many organic markets and co-ops across the county sell mango juice in oddly-shaped glass containers. They’re usually prohibitively expensive, but on the rare occasions that I’ve been able to sample them I’ve quite enjoyed the sweet juice within. Just Outstanding is almost like drinking that mango juice. Actually, the first sip is like biting into a fresh mango. The hop profile of this beer is so crisp, so clean, it’s nearly perfect. Some slight bitterness in the back end, but it's mostly just sweet like candy.

Crisp, perfect carbonation. Thin, but with enough body to carry all of the flavors through. To call this drinkable would be a terrible understatement.

Holy St. John de Crèvecœur, this is what the West is all about. A beer that showcases both the natural bounty of the Pacific and the brewing excellence of Kern River. This is a serious contender for the best IPA I've ever had. I'm not sure how the flavors of this beer could be improved upon. I could see myself drinking this every day, forever and ever.

4.79/5  rDev +13.8%

Had on tap 7/31 @ KRBC. Filled two growlers and brought them back to OC for the next week.

A - Golden, pale IPA with a decent head.

S - There is a lot going on here. TONS of citrus, pine, and a few of my friends picked up strawberry.

T - Great citrus and fruit taste with a balance of hops and malt. You can seriously drink this stuff all day and not get tired of it.

M - Light, perfectly carbonated. Really good body to this beer.

O - This is one of my favorite IPAs. As of last month, I rank this higher than Blind Pig or any other widely available IPAs. KRBC is really kicking the crap out of other peoples IPAs/DIPAs.

4.77/5  rDev +13.3%

A: Bright orange, very translucent, and lots of carbonation rushing up fromthe bottom. The head was only about a quarter of an inch but held pretty well and left very good lacing.

S: Bursts of citrus hit my nose. Lemon, Mango, apricot, peach, with a slight hint of pine and caramel as well. Just some great hop aromas

T: Good amount of grapefruit, mango, orange, peach. Very much like the smell, but a bit more pine that is a pleasant addition. As it warms the caramel comes out a little bit more and the hops fade, best enjoyed very cold

M: A bit light and slightly grainy with a mild hint of heat. Not terrible but not perfect

D: I could drink this one on a regular basis and think it stands up to some of the ebst IPAs out there

Note: I enjoyed this side by side with PtE and prefered this

4.76/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75