Just Outstanding IPA | Kern River Brewing Company

Style: American IPA

Added by mcallister on 03-01-2007

Reviews: 443 | Ratings: 1,261
4.01/5  rDev -5%

Thanks to the ever gracious glazeman for this IPA.

A - Great looking IPA. Beautiful hazy dark orange with a nice pearly white one finger head with nice retention. Great lacing. Just about the most appetizing looking IPA that I've seen.

S - Piney hops booze, and a little bit of oranges. Reminds me a lot of Pliny.

T - This is a tasty brew. Again, reminds me a lot of Pliny. Nice blend of juicy citrus hops up front followed by Christmas trees in the finish. The bitterness of the finish lingers for a long time. Not much malt, but not much is expected for a west coast single IPA.

M - Great - spot on for the style.

D - I could literally drink pitchers of this beer until I hit the floor. Enough said. Just outstanding drinkability.

22oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Received in trade with mrmiles. Thanks.

A - Pours a hazy golden orange with ample off-white head. Sticks to the glass well.

S - Citrus, pine, hops explode in a very fragrant bouquet.

T - Similar to the nose. Citrus with a mild bitterness.

M - Light to medium mouthfeel with an ample amount of carbonation.

O - I was satisfied with this beer. I found it to be enjoyable and would have it again given the opportunity.

3.81/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottle Date: presumably within the past couple months
Palate Contaminants: a pork chop

Appearance is a pleasant translucent medium amber with a fine foam head.

The smell is not strong at all. I definitely get malty sweetness, along with some candied citrus. It's good, but it doesn't have enough power for me to hear all the instruments.

Unfortunately, the taste isn't anything special. It's by no means bad, but it's a goose in a world of peacocks. There's hardly any sweetness, but it's also not particularly bitter. The main character is earthiness, mostly mossy, I'd say.

Feel is moderate weighted with fine carbonation. The aftertaste has more bitter character. Well-crafted, but missing the gustatory part isn't there for me.

4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass. Pours a dark amber/orange color with plenty of head. The aroma has a lot of pine notes, along with the strong citrus hops. The taste is just as good, very balanced with lots of bitterness. The citrus and fruit notes are present, and the malt balances on the back end. Mouthfeel is light and crisp with good carbonation.

This is one heck of an IPA, I've wanted to try a Kern River beer and this is my first one. I'm very impressed and will have to find more.

4.61/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Served from a growler from my trip to Kern.

A: Tall, frothy white head that settles to half a finger and leaves wonderful creamy lacing. Orange and nicely carbonated. When I think IPA, this is the image I have in mind. Can't fault it.

S: Juicy citrus goodness. Orange and mango up front. Pine needles, lovely backbone.

T: Starts with that sweet tropical & citrusy fruitiness. Middle of the tongue is melding of mostly sweet with a tad bitter hop end. Bready, biscuity malt backs up with not too much lingering bitterness. This is great stuff.

M: One thing I noticed with KRBC (especially with Class V Stout) is their creamy mouthfeel. This one starts very creamy with just enough carbonation on the back end to dry it up. Could be because it's from the tap, it's great though.

O: This was my favorite of the four year-round brews I sampled at Kern. Decided to grab a growler of this and have been waiting for a day to enjoy it. Today's the day. Pick it up if you can, it's hard to find but great, just like all KRBC brews.

4.28/5  rDev +1.4%

SMELL: Delicious grapefruit sweet, bitter hoppiness dominates.

TASTE: Remarkably restrained hoppy nature with full flavor, but nice, suppressed bitterness. Thicker mouthfeel contrasts against the bright, piny hoppiness. Very mild sweetness that perfectly balances the other natures. Overall, amazingly balanced and refined for an IPA. Impressive. Doesn't even have the lingering, back of the tongue bitterness.

4.18/5  rDev -0.9%

Thanks to soughtbyGod for this one.
Poured into a Mother Earth snifter
copper color with at least a 3 finger head with lacing for days.
Smell was piney for me, typical West Coast offering.
Taste was an improvement from the nose. Hops are in your face but never get out of hand. Slight malt backbone calms the hops down. Mouthfeel is a nice balance, not chewy, not too thin, very nice.
Overall this is a very nice IPA! I would recommend it!

4.13/5  rDev -2.1%

Thanks to aufaber for this one!

Poured from bomber into a CBS snifter.

A. Wonderfull orange red hue with a 4mm thick head, resides to some nice foamy bubbles.

S. Smells of fine citrus, some sweet pine and wonderful orange peel

T. Tastes of sweet and tart citrus, strong of pine and lots of floral.

M. Medium body, with a coarse and dry finish

O. A good overall beer. Lots of citrus and tangy hops, and a bit sweet. I like this beer. I could see buying this for $7/bomber at the store and keeping a fair amount on hand. A good beer that could be drank anytime.

3.92/5  rDev -7.1%

Thanks to DearthVader for the generous extra!

A-Rich copper body with over two fingers that held well, and left heavy lacing. There was a constant white cap that never really dropped fully.

S- Lots of grassy hops with a little lemon and pine, when I really swirled it and dug my nose way into the glass I started to get some peach and mango, and even a little pineapple. I also got a touch of biscuit and bread, increasing as it warmed.

T-Pineapple, peach and just a little spice up front stepping into a more earthy/piney hop character. The fruits never really fade, but the pine takes over quickly. Finishing the grassy hops really step up with a little lemon to balance it out, and the finish is quite bitter leaving a sharp bitterness for aftertaste.

M-Dry with lower carb than normal, it doesn't really lose anything because of it.

D-Pretty complex, refreshing and easy to drink. This would go great with a summer cookout on a hot day. Standing on its own, the bitterness is a little excessive (I know it's an IPA), cutting the bittering hops a little would accentuate the hop flavors and balance the beer out a little. Don't get me wrong though, this is a great beer, well above average for the style.

4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

Reviewed from notes taken on July 16, 2011.

650mL bottle into a Bruery snifter.

A- Pours a hazy orange with about a 1 finger off white head. Fantastic volume, lacing and retention.

S- Glorious hops! Citrus and floral hops, piney hop resins, orange, mango, and just the right amount of malt sweetness.

T- Follows the nose. Bursting with citrus, floral, and piney hops, with a great malt backbone to round out the flavors perfectly. Nice mango orange flavors al well.

M- Perfect carbonation and just a decent amount hop bitterness. Finishes bright and longing for more.

O- A fantastic IPA that I wish I could get ahold of more often.

4.22/5  rDev 0%

Poured from 22 oz. bottle into pint glass

Appearance is a dark orange color that has very good clarity, and a nice visual carbonation to it. It poured with a 1/4 inch of off-white head, which recedes into a small layer that lays atop the brew the whole way down. Nice retention and great looking, sticky lace down the glass. I'm getting a really nice tropical peach aroma off of this one, but also smells of a malty sweetness. Taste is also peach-forward, with a malty back end. There is a slight hop bitterness to it, but not as much as I prefer. The only thing missing is the sharp hop bite, but that's just me. Mouthfeel is light-bodied, and mildly carbonated. This is a really solid offering, something that I would pick up whenever I see it.

4.32/5  rDev +2.4%

This is the 3rd treat from the mystery box (thanks again Solomon420!), 22 oz. bomber with no freshness noted poured into the appropriate SN pint glass...

Aggressive pour=aggressive head...rocky off white foam head with great retention as well as good lacing and legs. A burnt golden body with a slight haze...

Floral boquet of spicy hops and grapefruits...solid nose, very West Coast with lots of spice and citrus.

Lots of hop bite up front with s drying bitter finish. Citrus grapefruit notes throughout with a hint of malts...bits of caramel in the finish also noted.

Slick, oily, and buttery-top notch carbonation!

The spiciness keeps it from a 4.5, but still superdrinkable!

An AMAZING IPA that needs some more respect. This ranks right up there with Blind Pig in my opinion. Simcoe and amarillo hops were used, and damn were they used well!

3.67/5  rDev -13%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

They should change the name of this one to "Just Another IPA"

No visible dating on the bottle - pours a nice copperish color with little head and leaves very little lacing - Sweet sticky caramel is the predominant smell - Taste is just that... Caramel with some earthy pine and floral notes - smooth drinking with a slightly sticky aftertaste - not bad, not great, not likely to buy it again, but not going to turn it down if handed one either...

4.38/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

For an IPA probably the best I had thus far. Had at my buddies strangers bar in el Centro. Nice head and lacing layers. Good smell and taste. Definitely get it again!

Ok it's 6/12/2015
I had it again.. I cudnt wait to pour it out. Shared it with my sister and she loved it. But I had many more ipa's and dipa's since my first "just outstanding" experience. Still very good IPA and I would definitely try it again but my first grade of 4.94 had to be changed. Still recommend this beer and I'll buy it again.

4.17/5  rDev -1.2%

Served out of a bomber into a Holy Mackerel pint glass while watching the Steelers vs the Cowboys.

A: Beautiful clear golden, orange with a great rocky, two finger head.

S: Mostly pine but there is some bright grapefruit zest to back it up

T&M: Somewhat thick, oily body that coats the back of the tongue thoroughly. Nowhere near as drying as most of the IPAs I've had(which is a good thing). Taste follows the nose but with a hint of bready malt coming in. Pine is still the forefront with some clean citrus notes.

O: A very clean, well made and deserving brew. This is exactly as it has been named. Just Outstanding!

4.92/5  rDev +16.6%

I realized that I had not yet reviewed this particular brew from Kern River. And I have been advocating this wondrous brew by giving it as an extra on my trades. I received a fresh keg of it and promptly put it in the kegerator. So this review is based on a super fresh keg pour and not the bottle, which surprisingly got way better than the bottle (something that is hard to do with such a great tasting beer).

A: darker orange, copper appearance with an offwhite head that held at 2 fingers for quite some time. Not your typical IPA hue, but then again, this is NOT your typical American IPA.

S: holy shit, at first pull of the tap handle my bar area filled with the delicious aroma of ripe apricot, sticky resinous hops, some floral aromas...and I thought popping the top off of the 22 oz bottles released some delightful aromas...a fresh keg produced 100% better results! Awesome

T: Again, I thought it was going to be hard to beat the taste out of a fresh bottle, but WOW, I mean just WOW, fresh from the keg is the only way to go on this beer. Just Outstanding really nails it. Slight alcohol warmth to it in the end.

M: Sticky oily mouthfeel, perfect for the hopheads. Not to overpowering, still well balanced. Medium carbonation and tons of body on this one.

D: I think I can easily drink 4-5 pints of this, however after a while the ABV kicks in and realize its time to go to sleep. I am so glad that I have a keg of this yummy elixir to enjoy and enjoy for weeks to come.

**Again, this review was from a keg and not the bottle, which I thought couldnt get any better.**

4.28/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured from the bomber into a Ranger IPA tumbler.

Pours a mostly clear amber-golden color. A finger and a half of silky off-white head. Lacing looks pretty solid. Spectacular head retention.

Citrus and floral hops. An evening out from malt character lies below the surface - doesn't smell too sweet.

A quick flash of slight sweetness and malt, followed by a rush of bitter, citrus rind hops. Hints of grapefruit and pineapple juice linger as the beer settles. Mostly bitter but semi-sweet finish. Floral notes start to become more prevalent as this one warms, which prompted me to come back and revise my review.

Smooth start, fairly light bodied, finishes with juicy carbonation.

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

22oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip
No date/freshness info on the bottle
Got this in a trade from RichBeer, thanks Rich!

reviewed from notes from a tasting last weekend

A-> Pours a beautiful tawny/amber-ish color with a huge 2 finger head. Looks unfiltered. Some lace but not too much.

S-> Hard to place, bouquet is muted a bit with musty hoppy scents but nothing overly floral or fruity. Some faint pine, we'll see what the taste brings....(After some warming/swirling, I do finally get some citrus fruits in the nose)

T-> Bitter hops up front but immediately balanced out by some sweet malts in the middle and towards the finish. Ends back with the dry hoppy bite. Deliciously well balanced. Much more fruity towards the end of the bomber than at first.

M-> Light feel for the style but I think I have just been drinking too many IIPAs lately...nice to have one that is dialed back a bit and yet still so refreshing and balanced. Really get the full flavors after the swallow, on the aftertaste.

O-> This beer was terrific. It is "just" an IPA, not trying to be something it's not or fooling you into one side of the flavor/aroma spectrum either. Nothing really up in your face about it like so many other West Coast IPAs, which is a refreshing change. Still fairly strong @ 6.8% for a single-IPA but again, very well balanced, not bombing you with hops, has a nice malt complement. Would have this again in a heartbeat...

4.52/5  rDev +7.1%

Thanks to GRG1313 for this fine brew from a brewery I hadn't previously heard of.

Poured into a tulip glass. Beautiful orange tint with nice head and lacing.

Smell is just bursting with citrus and Some faint whiffs of pine.

Taste is heavy on the citrus, pretty grapefruity, but well balanced against a sweet malt base.

Not harsh or astringent, and very drinkable for its ABV.

Would love to have easy access to this brew, but am just happy to have had the chance to try it. Nice job, Kern River!

4.34/5  rDev +2.8%

Damn this is a good IPA. Had it at Hamilton's in San Diego as part of beer week...place was packed.

A - Fine hazy golden colour with just a hint of peach or amber.

S - Strong - even in a packed bar I knew this was gonna taste great. Lots of citrus and flower with a hint of grain coming thru.

T - Nice full bodied IPA with tons of hop character. More towards the bitter side of IPAs but its just what the doctor ordered.

M - Pretty good, nice and full with a good balance of carbonation and body.

D - High, I'd get this again for sure. Not sure how it'd be in a bottle but I bet its a dosey.

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

Preface: I love this beer. I've had it before, but now it's time to review it.

Opened on 8/28 as my last beer before I go back to NY for school. Served at 55 degrees and poured into my Samuel Smith imperial pint glass.

A- Gentle pour yields lots of foamy white head. Thick and sticks to the glass. Tastes like whipped cream. The beer is golden.

S- Lots of citrus. Pineapple, mango, pine, orange. Oh, so fruity.

T- Follows the nose, but has a malt balance so you can drink it nonstop. Has an amazing lingering aftertaste.

M- Medium bodied and nice carbonation. Tastes like you're drinking a beer's beer, if you know what I mean.

O- It's amazing, really. It's just...amazing. No, I wasn't going to say "Just Outstanding" because that's tacky, but I'd go on record saying that along with Nelson from Alpine, it's the best single IPA on the market. Great beer.

4.37/5  rDev +3.6%

Just a simple review here....from a bomber into a glass. Great head. Aromas of pine, orange, citrus, bread. Tastes of bitter pinecone, grapefruit, bread with an alcohol finish...realy brite though. Feels just fine.

Will def grab more of this.

4.42/5  rDev +4.7%

Posted hard into my globe got a ton of head. On multiple repours I limited the head.

Smells great hop forward with citrus mango and pine

Taste is again hop forward with the citrus and mango playing well.

Mouhfeel is great for the style.

Overall will buy again.

4.29/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

22oz Bomber perfectly poured into a tulip with slightly hazy gold color that produced nice head with the most perfect lacing of any of the beers I have had lately.

First sip is a dream and stands on citrus and pear notes which ballance very well with moderate maltyness and perfect carbonation. Smell is slightly piney and floral which seems to result in excess from the dry hopping process as stated on the bottle.

Very drinkable for myself but maybe a bit hoppy for the timid. This is the first time I have tried Kern River Brews but not the last. Highly recommend this CA IPA.

4.32/5  rDev +2.4%

A- really nice reddish orange, a little hazy, but I don't mind that at all. Not much head but, it lasts and leaves some faint lacing.

S- Lots of citrus rind mingling with fresh bread. Sharp grapefruit notes with some sweetness. Very clean and full.

T- A mouthful of citrusy, piney hops supported by an off-sweet bready malt in the mid-palate and some lovely hop spice and citrus with slight sweetness in the finish. The bitterness is nicely balanced with the hop flavor and malt, and it never overpowers the other flavors.

M- Very full, almost a little syrupy, but clean carbonation keeps it from being cloying at any point. Some alcohol heat in there.

D-I shared bottle with friends but would gladly drink two bombers myself. I would love to have this more readily available.

Just Outstanding IPA from Kern River Brewing Company