Citra | Kern River Brewing Company

CitraCitra

Kern River Brewing Company
kernriverbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

A double IPA that is hazy pale in color with a strong pungent aroma that comes from large amounts of Citra hops.

Added by Solomon420 on 02-13-2010

Reviews: 387 | Ratings: 1,686
4.42/5  rDev -3.1%

A huge thanks to drabmuh for this bottle.

A: Almost clear dark yellow-orange in color. Forms a nice, big, fluffy, barely off-white head that leaves some sheets of lacing on the way down.

S: Unsurprisingly full of citrus and tropical fruits. Mango and passionfruit dominate, with notes of orange, pineapple, and a little caramel malt. Smells juicy.

T: Tastes much like the aroma. Starts with a light, juicy sweetness. Then lots of tropical fruit: passionfruit, mango, orange, tangerine, and mango. There is a very mild caramel malt backbone. Finishes with a surprisingly mild bitterness.

M: Medium body with appropriate carbonation. Smooth, slick, and a little chewy. Bitterness is less than one would expect on a DIPA.

O: A very good beer. Just packed full of Citra aroma and flavor, this beer needs to warm just a little to be fully appreciated. An appreciated it was.

4.42/5  rDev -3.1%

Big thanks to Prufrock for providing this beer in trade.
Nice creamy off white head forms atop a very bright brass colored beer with very good clarity. Just a couple bubbles lazily making their way to the top of the glass. Nice retention. Interesting in that there isn’t a ton of lacing, but what sticks does so in thick clumps that, hang on for dear life.
Thick aroma that hangs in your nostrils. Bright Fresh perfume. Some sharp citrus and a touch of green.
This is one of those beers where I think I may be sucking on the hop comes. (not a terrible thing to me) Just as the initial hop blast begins to subside, you get a smack of sweetness and fruit. Melon and mango primarily for me. A touch of pepper perhaps. The more I drink it, it seems like there may be some honey like notes in here. Starbucks sells a small bag of dried mango and this really reminds me of that. You get a slight warming effect late in the flavor from the abv. Not hot, just letting you know that you shouldn’t mess with it.
Carbonation was a touch light. Body was medium and it was a touch oily and slick on your tongue.
I think this is a perfect beer where I express that I prefer single IPA’s to doubles. This is clearly a very good beer and one that all hop heads should try. Of course, I would happily trade for another bottle and drink it again. But, there’s just a touch too much in it for me. A hint of the ABV and a hint of sweetness that I would prefer dialed back.
Still a very well built beer. Thanks Dan for making this available to me.

4.43/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Reviewed from notes. On-tap at the brewery, served in a pint glass.

Brilliantly clear apricot body topped by faint magnolia foam. Fine lacing; below average retention.

Pungent hop notes - very citrus forward as you would expect - largely grapefruit with hints of satsuma mandarin as well. Any tropical or floral notes are restrained at best. Solid aroma.

The base beer is perfectly crafted to showcase the hops - a sweet palate entry quickly gives way to citrus. Moderate but pure and lasting bitterness leads into a medium-dry finish. Hints of candied ginger and Meyer lemon zest as the beer warms slightly.

Well carbonated, and while the alcohol adds some heft to the body, the ABV is frighteningly well disguised, making this one of the most drinkable double-IPAs around.

Surprisingly simple, but expressive - just about faultless.

4.43/5  rDev -2.9%

Glad to finally try one. Thanks goes out to subpoenadeuces for the trade!

A: Light amber in color with a 1.5 finger white head that has excellent retention and some nice lacing.

S: On the nose I get a lot of tropical fruits such as mango, tangerine, and pineapple. There's a smidgeon of grapefruit, but not much. I don't get any pine or earthiness. Overall a good smelling DIPA, but not all that complex.

T: The taste pretty much follows the nose. There's a lot of sweeter tropical type flavors and only a mild hop bitterness at the finish. While this is a fine variant of the style, I like a tad bit more bitterness in DIPAs, otherwise a phenomenal beer. With a little bigger punch at the finish this would be perfect. This beer reminds me of surly abrasive.

M: I would say this is a perfect feel. Nice aftertaste, appropriate viscosity and carbonation.

O: I very solid beer that I was glad to try. Would love a growler of this sometime. A few steps away from perfection though and probably in the top 6 DIPAs I've had, but not the top 3.

4.43/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This was an absolutely phenomenal west coast IPA. The nose was absolutely incredible. Tons of pineapple and other tropical fruits. The carb was on point, and the color was beautiful. My only gripe is that it was pretty resinous and piney with a strong bite on the finish. For a big hop head, this would be incredible. For me, it was a little overpowering.

4.43/5  rDev -2.9%

Big thanks to Jose for sending me this one from the heart of Sequoia National Forest. Shared with the Chicago crowd, served in a Hopleaf tulip glass.

A - Pours with two-plus fingers of off-white foam that slowly dissipates to a chunky cap and leaves plenty of splotchy lacing. The body is a hazy, nearly opaque, golden peach color - I can just barely see my fingers through the glass. If the body glowed a bit more this would have been perfect.

S - Smells like a ton of hops! Is this really a single-hop DIPA, because it smells like there are bunch of things in here? Lots of fresh oranges, citrus rinds, notes of pine and dank earthiness, maybe a touch of chive in the periphery. The malt bill adds only the slightest bit of sugary support. When it's warm there's the slightest hint of alcohol.

T - The taste is nearly as good, with lots of juicy sugary citrus. It's still incredibly hop-forward but some of the complexity and depth has been smoothed out. Still, it's hands down quite delicious. The bitterness is surprisingly well-attenuated for the style - it's like that guy who makes a brief appearance at the party, but then cuts out long before it ends. I could actually have stood for a little more fierceness in this area. It's not quite at 4.5 level for me, but I bumped up some other areas a notch to compensate for the lower score here.

M - Nice enamel coating resins. Medium-thick body with more than a sufficient amount of heftiness. Low, softer carbonation, and a light dry finish. Very good, but not game-changing.

D - Once I opened this, I immediately regretted sharing it - I probably could have had it on my own (and then been falling-down drunk). This is up there with the most excellent Breakwater Maverick's for best DIPA of 2010, and was a little better than the fresh Dreadnaught we opened immediately afterward. Highly recommended.

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Citra DIPA is a hop-heads delight. It's like "chewing on a pine cone". You have to be a hop lover to enjoy, this would likely overpower any dish it could be paired with. If a hoppy beer experience is what you are looking for , this is your ticket. Best single hopped beer I have ever had.

4.43/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Opened about 10 days after bottling.

A - Orange body, 2 fingers of white head. Hazy, like an IPA should be.

S - Grapefruit, orange, slight pine, sugary.

T - More subdued than the smell. Grapefruit, orange, pine, malt in the finish. A bit dry.

M - Lighter side of medium. Good amount of carbonation.

Great DIPA, smells better than it tastes.

4.44/5  rDev -2.6%

Somehow I forgot to review this beer. Got it more than a few months back from Solomon420. Thanks D!

A - Very good, very light golden orange - pretty decent head retention

S - The most unique citrus nose of any DIPA I've ever encountered. Upfront dried fruit basket and grapefruit blast to the senses. Smells like juice. Pungent fragrant aroma. I can pick out the Citra hops, that for sure.

T - This is fruit juice in a glass. You almost forget it's beer. Grapefruit, tropical citrus, Hawaiian Punch with a bit of pine and earthiness and a almost absent malt backbone or malt profile at all to speak of. Bitter dry, crisp finish. No booze detected.

M - I like my DIPAs a bit more resinous in mouthfeel but I'm not complaining. The only flaw I found with this beer was it's lack of finish. A lot of pungent, juicy hop flavors upfront but not so much in the finish. Light mouthfeel for 8% which is impressive.

D - Like I said, it's like fruit juice in a glass, it's hard to believe this is still a beer. Way too easy going down. No problem polishing off the entire growler to my greedy self with this one.

Final Thoughts - Very unique brew on the DIPA style. A must try for any hophead. For all the hype behind it, expectations were met. It did not exceed them nor did it fall below them. Very, very good beer.

Bottle date 11/8/14

Beautiful golden orange colored ale with small amount of white head that quickly went away. It has a bouquet of citrus pine. A bit of a gripping bitterness but overall stays smooth. Flavor follows with a bright, crisp citrus, resinous note. You can feel the amount of hops used to make this beer. As the beer warms I start to notice some more pineapple and tropical aroma and in the taste. Overall a great use of 2 of my favorite hops, and something you should try to get once. But from my experience I feel I can find something similar that is much easier to get. And I understand that this is "2 months old" at my time of drinking it. Still a great beer, get over yourself. If a beer is considered ruined if not drank in the first week it's not a great beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Chris for sharing this growler.

A - Orange-yellow-amber colored beer with a forthy white head that has really nice retention. Some good, sticky lace on the sides.

S - Citra, the hops we all crave now. Great tropical fruit, almost jammy, not any real bitterness, at least the resiny kind that you get from lots of DIPAs. Smells very nice, quite light.

T - Taste is really good, but really, this is almost all citra hops, not getting much of a malt backbone here at all. Almost juice like in its taste, with tropical citrus hops being the only thing I'm getting. Good stuff, but I want a bit more fuller flavor.

M - Medium bodied, good carbonation, quite smooth.

O - Really great beer, easy to get down, probably a great DIPA to introduce people to if they need to try DIPAs. Not my favorite by a long shot, as I like them to get slightly more bitter and have a little more malt backbone, but this is a great beer nontheless.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to Nate for tossing in this bottle -- been dying to try Citra for far too long!

My god, this smells incredible: fresh fruits of many varieties, piney hops, sweet malt. Citra hops galore, tons of malt, very fruity. Think I prefer Knuckle Sandwich, but that's just splitting hairs over superlatives. This is utterly delicious and I need more of it, stat!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Smells mainly of citrus--mango, orange with pine in the background. First smell was very promising.

One finger head that largely disappeared to islands of light foam with a ring around the glass. Mild lacing.

More malt and pine in the taste but the citrus is still well represented. It certainly has a nice, oily, juicy hop character that makes me want to keep drinking. Though, five minutes after I wrote the last sentence, the malt is more apparent.

Overall: This is a very good dipa. I immediately compare it to other dipas that I like better, namely Pliny, maybe Hopslam. It falls in line with those beers but is not superior. Worth having but not worth breaking the bank to obtain.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a massive white head with heavy lacing and froth on the top of the glass. The body of this is very light, perhaps a little lighter than most DIPA's that I see, but it does look appealing.

S: Heavy Citrus, guava, pineapple and mango. Heavy pine scent followed by a decent malt aroma.

T: A heavily caramelized malt presence followed closely by heavy pine flavors. As I let it linger for a bit, I picked up the heavy mango and citrus flavors. Most of the flavors in here are very well balanced and smooth. There may be a bit of an astringent aftertaste that is slightly earthy. This is probably my only off flavor in here, but otherwise this is a very nice DIPA.

M: Light to medium body for a DIPA. There are the caramelized flavors of a longer boil time in here, but not a huge caramel flavor presence. This is mostly pale malt flavor in body and could be a little heavier, but very enjoyable as it is.

O: I can definitely enjoy this, this is a great IPA. The citrus flavors are definitely there and very enjoyable, roasted sugars peeking their head out as you let it warm up. Recommended

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Huge thanks to epical8 for this guy. Very excited to try this!

Poured into my CBS snifter...

A: An effervescent golden orange, practically glows in the glass. Huge, pillowy two finger white head. Settles down to a quarter finger of thick, gobby blobs. Very good lacing.

S: Well hello Citra hops! Like an orange creamsicle. Loads of orange zest, pineapple, and some tangerine. Also hints of caramel malt and quite a bit of candied spice. Love, love, love it.

T: Candied orange, caramel malt, grapefruit rind, pineapple. Starts off with fairly aggressive citrus hops, then the malt seeps in and evens things out. Finish is smooth, but another fresh blast of hop oils keeps things interesting. Most notable is how light this is for a DIPA. Hops are assertive, but more sweet and spicy than overwhelmingly bitter.

M: This is the only part of the beer that doesn't quite stand up to the rest. Slightly thin and and lacking in complexity. Sweet and hoppy, but perhaps too smooth for its own good, especially for a DIPA.

O: Deserving of the hype. Didn't knock me off my feet right away, but over the entire experience, this greatly impressed me. One of the lightest and smoothest DIPAs I have had the pleasure of drinking. Without a trace of booze at 8.0%, this one is dangerously drinkable. Just a complete showcase for the Citra hop. Really like this.

4.45/5  rDev -2.4%

Thanks to bauermj for sharing this treat.

Pours a light golden orange with one finger of white head that fades quickly. No lacing.

Smell is very good - citrus hops overwhelm the nose, primarily orange. A hint of tropical fruit is in there as well. Crisp and clean, with only a light touch of hop bitterness. There are some bready malts underneath, but citrus hops are more prevalent.

Taste is super juicy and refreshing. Orange citrus with a sweet and exceptionally smooth finish. Hardly any hop bitterness, which is impressive.

Feel is pretty good - medium bodied, but could use a touch more carbinationd.

Overall - delicious, delicious beer.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Kern River Brewing Co

A: Pours slightly hazy golden orange with a frothy off white head that settles to a thin layer and leaves some very nice lacing.

S: Tropical fruit, passion fruit and mango, backed with citrus, lots of orange, a little grapefruit, and some caramel sweetness.

T: Juicy, citrus, orange and grapefruit, tropical fruit, passion fruit and mango, biscuity malt backbone, and light caramel sweetness.

M: Medium body, moderate carbonation, dangerously drinkable.

O: Fantastic well balanced brew. They got all the best stuff out of those hops.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Even when poured from a bottle a little over 60 days old. This is a great beer lots of nice hops in the nose and the taste surely follows the nose. With nothing but citra hops the taste is superb. The mouthfeel is good. This is a great DIPA and I like to try a really fresh bottle.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Exceptional DIPA that I was pleasantly surprised didn't have an overwhelming boozy taste to it. Instead I got bright hops and an extremely drinkable brew from Kern River. Wish it wasn't so hard to come by, but very glad to check this off my beer bucket list!

4.47/5  rDev -2%

Huge thanks to Dearthvader for sending this growler. I've been looking to try this for quite some time. Shared with exitmusic00.

A- Pours a hazy copper with a fluffy two finger head which leaves a few lines of lacing.

S- Ripe oranges, mangos, peaches, pineapple, apricots and a bit of biscuit malt. I just love the smell of citra hops.

T- Juicy tropical and citrus hops including orange, mango, peach, pineapple, apricot, grapefruit and lemon as well as some biscuit malt.

M- Medium carbonation and medium body with a sticky mouthfeel. No bitterness or sign of the 8%. I could have consumed this growler by myself, it was so drinkable.

O- A great IPA, and another amazing one from Kern. Not sure if this is as good as Zombie Dust IMO, but I would be a very happy man to have this available to me on a consistent basis. Thanks again Brian!

4.47/5  rDev -2%

Thanks to jophish17 for sharing this last Friday. Poured a lovely peach color into a tulip glass. White 1/4" fluffy head...quite a super looking glass of ale. Unbelievable dank aroma on this one- subtle pine, white pepper, spearmint, peach with big tropical fruit notes. Very soft and delicate up front then the mango and peach start shining. A hint of bitter navel orange rind, finishing dry with a long lasting hop flavor. Not much malt detected, which I don't mind with an IPA like this. Very, very nice CA DIPA!

look: 3 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wouldnt say this comes anywhere near being super impressed with the appearance here, it is cloudy. I realize thats all the rage on the other coast, but sorry, I find that to be maybe not a flaw, but certainly something that would prevent a 'perfect' appearance score if you will. Now, that is about the only "flaw" we will speak of during the review of this beer.

The aroma was one of the first to really kick that citra aroma up a notch into your nose. This was kind of the standard bearer for citra smells, all those citrus and tropical bouquets.

Its not just citrus notes though, there is some woody pine flavors in the taste/mouthfeel that supplement the plentiful fruit notes. Definitely a soft touch though bitterness wise, this isn't one of those 100ibu bitter bombs with little flavor and lots of crystal malt, oh no.

Excellent 1st tier world class ipa if you ask me.

4.47/5  rDev -2%

Big thanks to PeaceLoveBear for this one!

A-pours a dirty murky brown liquid with dark orange edges with a fair amount of dirty white head that leaves a ton of lacing.

S-the nose has this buttery dough with caramel malt base up front, same as the just outstanding IPA, tons of hops take ever, lots of bitter pine, citrus hops galore, big in the nose.

T-the taste has a very light doughy flavor, notes of caramel, syrupy pine, tons of citrus in the back, grapefruit mostly, moderate bitterness that is quite pleasant and doesn't linger or sting the back of the tongue.

M-medium bodied, a little syrupy, creamy up front with lots of carbonation giving it a somewhat grainy feel in the back.

D-this has a big balance of malt and hop, the citrus comes in nicely and the bitterness is moderate. not as huge as I thought this was going to be nor as hoppy. the balance was very nice and I actually really enjoy this buttery dough flavor their IPA's have had. Very solid IPA, not Pliny but darn good!

4.47/5  rDev -2%

A- Brownish copper color with a fluffy off-white head that keeps a healthy cap, lacing the glass nicely as it goes down.

N- Huge bitter grapefruit aromas with elements of the rind, pith, and flesh. Juicy citrus accents with soft pineapple and tropical fruit gummy bears underneath. Just a hint of toasted grain way in the back. Floral, herbal fumes start to appear as the beer warms.

T- Clean, sweet toasted grain provides a thick base for the hoppy goodness that ensues. A firm bitterness cuts the sweet malt with notes of herbs, grass, pine resin, and grapefruit rind. Dry biscuity malt emerges from the bitterness, while juicy citrus and tropical fruit keep the mouth watering through the mid palate. The finish is long and fairly dry with lingering grain and a lasting grassy, herbal, piney bitterness that leaves you with fresh hop breath.

M- Medium to full bodied, slightly syrupy and sticky. Moderate carbonation and a semidry finish.

D- Overall, a solid DIPA. I much prefer the bottle version of this to the growler. Always a treat to have, and I look forward to the next batch if I can't get my hands on any more this round.

4.47/5  rDev -2%

A- Golden color with a nice white head that retains well. Nice lacing on the glass.

S- Hop resins, citrus (yah think?), lots of orange citrus with some bitter grapefruit smells. Really nice nose.

T- Bitter up front, lots of citrus in the middle of the beer. drys out nicely, leaving a slight bitter finish.

M- nice light to med body, drys out nicely.

O-- Great beer, like drinking a bitter hoppy orange juice

Citra from Kern River Brewing Company