Citra | Kern River Brewing Company

CitraCitra

Kern River Brewing Company
kernriverbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

A double IPA that is hazy pale in color with a strong pungent aroma that comes from large amounts of Citra hops.

Added by Solomon420 on 02-13-2010

Reviews: 397 | Ratings: 1,740
4.15/5  rDev -9%

Thanks to Solomon420 for the hookup!

Poured into a Hill Farmstead tasting glass. Forms a nice white head on top of an unfiltered orange body. Leaves a good amount of lacing.

Citra hops dominate the nose, followed by caramel malts and an array of fresh citrus fruits. Tangerine, orange, peach and just a touch of grapefruit. Probably one of the heaviest fruit forward DIPAs I've had. Fruity hop nectar aroma.

The taste is filled with citrus laced hop. Caramel and candied sugar. Slightly more malty than I was expecting, but still does a good job of focusing on the hops. Slightly meaty with a little bit of grassiness. Hops are accentuated on the finish.

Mouthfeel is filled with a nice level of hop crispness. Body has a strong malt backbone, but is still hop forward. The ABV is unnoticeable and there is a nice level of bitterness throughout.

Drinkability is good. I would have no problem putting back a pint or two of this brew. Definitely a quality DIPA. Maybe a little bit hyped, but then again, I haven't had this fresh from the tap. A great DIPA overall and worth seeking out. I'm probably just spoiled since I have Ephraim nearby.

4.3/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A growler of the new batch (from February 10, 2011, I think) courtesy of mrbubbler. Thanks! Opened on February 25, 2011.

I expected this to be the color of the sun. Instead, it's flame orange meets sinopia (reddish-brown/ochre) bodied with a nice full finger head that leaves long vertical lines of lacing down the glass. The second pour yields a fantastically thick, jiggling (like jello) head.

Straight citrus, at first, with candied fruit and grapefruit. As it opens, tropical fruit notes are birthed from the glass. Tangerine, apricot, mango, some candied sugar.

Taste is a diminished self of the nose. Candied orange, citrus, and sugar cookie, with just the smallest hint of grapefruit bitterness on the finish. Tangerine joins the party. It isn't as worthy-of-thirteen-lines-spelling-out-citrus as I anticipated, and I wonder if this batch just isn't as up-to-snuff as some previous ones or if my expectations were too high. That being said, the flavor profile plays to my weaknesses, and I'm rather smitten with it.

Medium-bodied and unbearably smooth and drinkable. It isn't the thickest, stickiest DIPA I've had, but the dryness on the mid-to-late palate leaves me wanting more. Some lingering bitterness on the finish.

Just an exceptional DIPA and narrowly-tailored to my proclivities to boot. I'm surprised the taste isn't more citrus and tropical fruit forward given its reputation, but it's easy to enjoy nonetheless and a lower score would misrepresent its quality.

4.57/5  rDev +0.2%

Had on-tap at Gourmet Haus Staudt in Redwood City for Kern RIver night as a part of SF Beer Week. Served in an Aventinus glass.

A: Pours a cloudy orangish color with a nice sized white head.

S: Tons of citrus and tropical fruits in the nose.

T: The taste follows the smell. Lots of mango, grapefruit, and pineapple. Tons of fruit although just slightly sweet. The bitterness is there but rather subtle. The malt is also quite present throughout. A hint of alcohol in the finish.

M: Full bodied, slightly viscous, average carbonation.

D: A delicious DIPA. The Citra hop is true to it's name, lots of citrus and other fruits.

4.63/5  rDev +1.5%

Received a growler from marisatheyounger at the end of last year..thanks!
Shared with my good friend cpz28

Pours a beautiful hazy orange color with a great head and excellent retention. Also has great lacing.

Nose is very fruity. It has a tropical fruit, orange, and citrus smell that is just great.

Tastes much like the nose. Great fuity citrusy flavors all the way through. The bitterness hits you after a second and lingers for awhile.

Great carbonation level the beer seems a bit watery at first.
Drinkability is great. At only 8% I could have a couple pints and not be drunk. Just want to keep drinking this one. Wish I had it available around here.
Great job by KRBC and worth getting your hands on some of this.

This is a review of the recent batch released on Feb 10.
Pint at KRBC on Feb 15. Reviewed on my phone, so its short and sweet.
A: orange haze beautiful head like the awesome beauty it is
S: what else can I say? Tangerine fruit, hops,grapefruit,apricots
T: follows the aroma...hops,orange goodness,like an orange
Julius.
M: Medium bodied resiny flavor but not lingering
D: awesome

I am glad KRBC went back to small batches on this beer and the quality shows. This reminded me of the early batches...phenominal is all I can say. 5 stars all around. Well done guys.

4.29/5  rDev -5.9%

On tap at Beer Revolution for Kern River day during SF Beer Week.

A: Served a hazy citrus gold with little head or lacing.
S: Super sweet, fruity, and slightly dank with huge notes of grapefruit and citrus. I could smell the fruit coming from the glass almost a table length away.
T: Super juicy, just like the nose, with a super citra citrus taste. Grapefruit is predominant, but there are notes of tobacco in the finish. The aftertaste is almost leafy or tea-like and very bitter. The flavors are overall tingly and bitter.
M: Medium bodied, tingly carbonation, and no alcohol warmth.
D: Super fresh tasting but pretty darn bitter, not that it's a bad thing. I was pretty impressed, but it could use some polishing on the back end. It's not the best, but it's highly drinkable and I wish I could get more of it more often.

4.67/5  rDev +2.4%

On tap poured into a tulip pint glass. Beer pours a cloudy and hazy golden yellow with a finger of pure white foamy head. Head dissipated quickly to the surface, leaving a bit of lacing. Some carbonation is visible through the hazy beer, but I'm pretty excited for the haze as that means a bit of dry hopping for this style.

Before I could order my own glass, my neighbor two persons away from me had gotten a pour and I could smell the fresh grapefruit from his glass. A ton of fresh grapefruit coming from this beer, like if you took a pound of grapefruit and just crushed them on your face. Juicy and fragrant grapefruit peel, pith, juice, the entire thing. A bit of pine needle bitterness is also detected, but this is a grapefruit bomb mostly.

Taking a sip, definitely taste the grapefruit, like if you took a bite through an unpeeled, juicy one and started chewing. Very fresh tasting grapefruit citrus, some wet pine needles mid tongue with just a hint of light biscuit malts, finishing bone dry on the tongue. Grapefruit pith lingers for a long time on your tongue, and really forces you to just drink more Citra beer, and ruining any other beers you may want to try unless you rinse your mouth out.

A very good beer, but the lingering mouth dryness took away a little from the experience. Would definitely drink again, if it was the only beer I plan on drinking for a while, since the alcohol is completely hidden.

4.44/5  rDev -2.6%

Somehow I forgot to review this beer. Got it more than a few months back from Solomon420. Thanks D!

A - Very good, very light golden orange - pretty decent head retention

S - The most unique citrus nose of any DIPA I've ever encountered. Upfront dried fruit basket and grapefruit blast to the senses. Smells like juice. Pungent fragrant aroma. I can pick out the Citra hops, that for sure.

T - This is fruit juice in a glass. You almost forget it's beer. Grapefruit, tropical citrus, Hawaiian Punch with a bit of pine and earthiness and a almost absent malt backbone or malt profile at all to speak of. Bitter dry, crisp finish. No booze detected.

M - I like my DIPAs a bit more resinous in mouthfeel but I'm not complaining. The only flaw I found with this beer was it's lack of finish. A lot of pungent, juicy hop flavors upfront but not so much in the finish. Light mouthfeel for 8% which is impressive.

D - Like I said, it's like fruit juice in a glass, it's hard to believe this is still a beer. Way too easy going down. No problem polishing off the entire growler to my greedy self with this one.

Final Thoughts - Very unique brew on the DIPA style. A must try for any hophead. For all the hype behind it, expectations were met. It did not exceed them nor did it fall below them. Very, very good beer.

4.18/5  rDev -8.3%

I have been wanting to try this one for a long time now, a big thanks to Chris for bringing this back. Pours light golden orange with a small white cap, good retention and lacing. Smells of citra hops and straw, very grassy with some bright citrus fruit, slightly malty and very balanced. Taste is grassy and bitter, pale malts but not sweet, some orange and tropical fruit hops in the finish. Medium bodied with a medium light carbonation. A very drinkable IPA. Not my favorite of the night, but this is the one I went back for more of. Very subtle flavors for the style, an excellent DIPA.

4.84/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured from 22oz brown bomber into a Duvel tulip. Sticker states "Hand bottled Jan. 2, 2011" on bottle neck. Able to try this brew only due to the exceptional generosity of Solomon420.

A: Hazy tangerine-peach with short, 1-finger off-white head with short retention and some formations of lace down the glass.

S: The aroma of this beer is perceptible at least 3 feet away, if not further. It is easily one of the best aromas in beer. Massive amounts of citrus fruit waft away with grapefruit, mandarin orange, and lemon all in the mix. Tropical fruit including mango and passionfruit also make an appearance, with floral, blossom flavors there too. Pine and resin are strong, but an unmistakable component of herbaceous, onion-like aroma also hits the nostrils pretty hard. This brew doesn't fashion much of a pale malt aroma, but who cares, it hits all of the big hops check-offs: citrus, herb, floral, resin, and pine.

T: The flavor is excellent and brings all of the hops goodness on the aroma in all the right places with emphasis on the pleasant flavors like grapefruit, orange, floral, and pine resion, and reduces the less desirable flavors like the herbal, onion flavors. This one goes right where OB Gubna went wrong. While the hops flavor doesn't bludgeon you, you submit to the wonderous array of hops flavors available in this brew. The pale maltiness plays a bigger role than you know by keeping the bitterness to a tolerable level. Alcohol is nonexistent in the flavor.

M: The carbonation is low-medium with a light tackiness and good coating quality.

D: A superb DIPA with hops complexity unlike any other. I tried Pliny the Elder this week (again, courtesy of Solomon420), and I have to say, I enjoyed this one a little more. Citra DIPA really exemplifies the West Coast DIPA to me, even better than PtE -- citrus and pine with flashes or raw herbal and floral hoppiness.

4.15/5  rDev -9%

thanks to Wadsey for sharing the growler

poured into dogfish head tulips

A.

hazy orange amber color. 2 fingers worth of eggshell-like head. Huge amount of lacing going on while sipping on this beer.

S.

Citrus hops with a hint of pineapple, apricot and cat piss. (yes, cat piss). Every citra hopped beer I've had has that subtle cat piss smell to it.

T.

very west coast-like. Citrus hops with subtle pine in there. not as hoppy as I thought a Double IPA would be. Slightly sweet as well. Good, but nothing spectacular. Not much different than having a Dreadnaught or Cenotaph from 3 floyds.

M.

medium bodied with lots of carbonation. Very crisp and smooth for a double IPA.

D.

would be a 5 if it was readily available. The ABV is hidden well. I could drink this at least a couple times a week.

4.08/5  rDev -10.5%

Growler. Courtesy of maltzilla. Poured into a tulip glass a slightly cloudy orange amber color with a slightly off white head head that laces nicely as it settles. Aroma is that of tropical fruit like mango mixed with citrus. Malty start gives way to a very strong hop profile that lingers on and has nice flavors of citrus and fruit. Nicely done and well blended.

4.59/5  rDev +0.7%

Got this growler thanks to route66pubs. Thanks a ton, man! Shared with my roomate and another BA on Christmas day. Served into my town hall snifter:

A - Dark amber and slightly brownish with golden tints throughout. Pour reveals a fluffy white crisp head that turns into a nice foam ring around the edges and murky cloudy foam in the middle. Lacing retention is very good.

S - Awesome! Nice citra smells. Dank stank that is a bit musty. Pine and bitterness. Very good.

T - Nice citrus tones and hoppyness. Not as bitter as I was expecting. Tastes a bit bready and malty. Pretty damn good, but I bet it is just awesome on-tap.

M - Nice and smooth. Crisp and refreshing. Pretty carbonated and a bit thicker. Nice.

D - Way too easy for 8%. I'm really happy to have had the opportunity to try this elusive brew. I'm really glad to drink this beer but I'm thinking that it would be just a bit better on-tap. Thanks again, Scott! Merry Christmas!

4.42/5  rDev -3.1%

Thanks to bu11zeye for sharing this growler.

The beer pours a golden color with a white head. The aroma definitely screams Double IPA. I get a lot of resiny hops, but there is also quite a bit of orange citrus mixed in. I don't get much, if any malt in the aroma.

The flavor is a hop explosion. The first hops that I get are resiny and piney, but then the fruit comes in. I get a ton of different fruit flavors. Among them are pineapples, oranges and mangos. I also get some biscuit malt mixed in to keep the bitterness at a low to medium level.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Excellent.

4.35/5  rDev -4.6%

2010 release poured on-tap at the brewery in Kernville into a pint glass. The beer has a bright yello/gold color to it, with no head. The beer has a citrus accent to the pine and hops smells of their regular IPA. On tasting, you get a very instant flavor of grapefruit, with the hops and floral flavors of their flagship IPA underneath for balance. There is a bit of a sour and bitter aftertaste, but again remains balanced. Despite the finish, the beer is still pretty easy to drink. Decent brew.

EDIT: Original scoring from above review was A:4, S:4, T:4, M:3.5, D:3.5 for a total score of B+/3.9. The current grade of my review is based on the review below of this year's release.

Tasted again, during the release weekend 2011, the beer was poured on-tap at Kern River Brewing Company into a pint glass. The beer is a hazy, bright orange-gold coloring with a thin film of head. Heavy nose of orange and lemon zest, hops, and basil. Heavy hops flavor all over the tongue, bitter and slightly sour. Citrus sweet flavors balance well, and don't overpower. The beer is smooth and robust in mouth, with heavy hop aftertaste. The finish is dry, and puckers the mouth, begging for a follow-up drink. Very enjoyable and pleasant to drink, it is delicious!

4.5/5  rDev -1.3%

I saw Naja's Place posting on facebook that they got Citra in on tap, so I made it over there to get me some before it all ran out.

The appearance is orangey-golden. Looks freaking delicious. The head is nice but quickly dies off, as is usual with most (D)IPAs. The smell is absolutely heavenly. Whereas sometimes Pliny smells like a pine tree, Citra has more of a --well-- citrusy aroma...and more flowery. It's definitely more complex.

Taste is amazing. The taste matches the smell: citrusy and flowery. The nice thing is the mouthfeel and drinkability. Mouthfeel is very light and easy to drink. I could easily have had another one of these.

In the DIPA land where Pliny is king, Citra is #2 and a near worthy contender. Even though their both DIPAs, they have subtle differences that really make them stand apart. It'd be interesting to taste the two side by side in a blind taste test. I'm glad to have experienced this and would not hesitate to buy it again. Cheers!

4.52/5  rDev -0.9%

On tap at 38 degrees in Alhambra,CA. Beautiful example of what a IPA should be. Perfectly balanced taste between the malt and citra hops. Citrus notes blow at you followed by the dryness but that's expected of this style. Nice head retention and very very drinkable. Am glad to have been able to sample this fine beer.

Re-review off a growler on 12/11/10. This is much more bitter and less aromatic than previous batches. Still good, but much less drinkable, and the scores have been adjusted. I understand batch variation happens, but this is a pretty big swing.

Main changes:

S: Huge dropoff in aromatics. Citrus is still present, but it's less pungent, with more 'straight' citrus and less tropical variety.

T: As in the nose, less tropical focus. Still more tangerine, pineapple, apricot than the nose would suggest. But it is heavily grapefruit dominated, and the bittering hops have been played up more.

M: More of a lingering bitterness than previous batches.

D: I drank a couple of glasses, but my enthusiasm waned after the first one. It was mostly enjoyment of the memory than the beer.

Dial in your recipes, KRBC. This is not your best batch.

~~~

Original review (A+ / 4.8)

Chilled growler into a glass. Generously shared by chswimmer. Thanks, Craig.

It should be noted that the first time Craig shared this, I voluntarily skipped the tasting. I wasn't convinced by the hype, even as I received numerous annoying texts over the night telling me how awesome it was.

A: Pours a cloudy orange body, with 3 fingers of light cream head. To say this thing is still well-carbed is an understatement. I'm only deducting points for the lack of clarity here, but I don't genuinely feel that's a serious detriment to the beer.

S: CCC

III

TTT

RRR

UUU

SSS

!!!

Grapefruit, pineapple, tangerine, apricot, perfume. I see someone scribbled "fuckin' beautiful" on my notes -- probably largadeer. I agree.

T: Dry, incredibly clean citrus flavors. It reminds me of the pops I'd make out of frozen orange juice as a kid, with overtones of grapefruit, pineapple, tangerines, apricot, mango, and some sugar cookie sweetness. This is one of the fruitiest IPAs I have ever had, and in 3 glasses of it all I could focus on was the wonderful melange of citrus.

M: Medium bodied. It's not viscous. Dry and smooth, just incredibly silky. I'm really blown away. It's a little unsatisfying by lacking viscosity, but I also don't need a heavy beer all the time.

D: This beer is amazing. I am not prone to giving high scores, and for a while I was considering violating my own standards and giving this all 5s. If it weren't for the cloudy appearance, this would be an across-the-board perfect beer. Its affordable price is just a plus. I'd drink the s*** out of this thing if I lived locally. Seek this out.

4.77/5  rDev +4.6%

I could smell the Citra all the way in Orange County as a keg was tapped at 38 Degrees in Alhambra. Served in a large snifter, on to the beer:

You can call this faded orange colored beer magnificent, and it's not just about the lovely white rings the foam leaves sticking to the glass. It is about how the Citra hops are skillfully used in this beer. The nose demonstates this with massive fresh citrus and tropical aromas, like passionfruit, pineapple, mango, and orange. Simply vibrant and alive.

There's little to frown about in the taste unless you're looking for just a tiny more intensity from those little green flowers. It's balanced, but showcases the Citra hops. Sweeter citrus and tropical fruits are highlights in this reel, and if that doesn't make it, the oily mouthfeel and buried 8% ABV, along with the pleasant aftertaste of sweet grapefruit and a snap of resin will. Extremely easy to drink and enjoyable too; forget the fancy glassware, throw this in a one liter mug.

I have seen the future, and you can catch a glimpse of the future in this beer. One could argue that this is "futuristic Pliny". Funny what playing with different hop breeds and creating a new one can do. Whoever said genetically modifying crops is bad doesn't understand how biology works, let alone had a taste of this nectar.

4.62/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a freshly opened growler -- bottled 4 days ago -- into a tulip. Thanks to marisatheyounger for sending it.

Appearance: Citra pours a pleasant orange tangerine color, a bit hazy with a fluffy white head that levels off at 3cm that retains nicely and leaves a ton of lacing all over the glass.

Smell: A ton of citra hops, very nice. Peach, apricot, mango, passion fruit, grapefruit, and orange blossoms as well.

Taste: The malt up front provides a bit of sweetness and really just lets the hops shine through. As the aroma would suggest, there is a ton of juicy citrus here. Passion fruit, mango, grapefruit, with some floral notes as well. Finishes lightly bitter.

Mouthfeel: That wonderful well-crafted creamy IPA feel. Fuller than medium carbonation, juicy, a bit sticky at the end, all wrapped in a medium body.

Drinkability: I feel really fortunate that I was able to try this one out. Great, straight forward flavor, a bucket of hops, and a great feel make this one I would like to have more often.

4.54/5  rDev -0.4%

On-tap at Beachwood BBQ, glad to see this finally in the Southland,

A: Pours a lightly hazy orange with a medium full white head. Soapy, thick lace, good head retention.

S: Tropical fruit and citrus salad. Mango, lemons, orange, a delight.

T: Lemon and mandarin orange heavy, mango, pineapple. For me like a Sculpin on steroids, very tasty. Noticable malt profile for a West Coast DIPA, comes in at the end, but the flavour and enjoyment is all about the hops.

M: Firm, big mouthfeel, full-bodied, upfront carbonation. Dripping with hop resin.

D: A fantastic beer, with the hype, I expected this to be a 5 flavourwise, it's not that good, but it was definitely worth the $6 pint.

4.95/5  rDev +8.6%

Big thanks to Jose for getting this to me. I love the tropical fruit like hoppiness I got from other Citra hopped beers I've had so I've really been looking forward to this one. Opened up the growler to share with my Fiance as we put up the Christmas tree.

Poured from a growler into my Southern Tier tulip. It poured kind of a murky, pale orange color in the glass. It started out with a big, active, frothy, white head to it and lasted pretty well into drinking it. The head eventually retreated to the edges of the glass, where it left some fantastic, thick lacing on the sides. Pretty much a perfect looking DIPA, I can't think of anything more I could ask of it.

The aroma has the biggest tropical and fruity hop profile to it I've ever encountered. Lots of pineapple, mango, orange and peach really shine through. It has a bit of a tropical punch like flavor coming through. Awesome aroma, I love it.

The taste follows the aroma with lots opf tropical and fruity flavors. more of the peachy, pineapple, orange and mango are present throughout the flavor. Midway I get more of a green, herbal like, fresh hoppiness to it as well. It leans a bit on the sweet side but finishes wit ha slight bitterness. The sweetness really works well for it too and compliments the citra hop nicely. Just a touch of alcohol comes through in the finish. Fantastic tasting beer.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied and carbonation is moderate and a bit sharp. Drinkability for me is excellent. I love tropical fruit like hoppiness in beers and this one shows it off perfectly. This is probably my new favorite hoppy beer. Loved every part of it and I can only hope something similar to this comes to my market soon. I think this might be a new highest scoring beer for me, and it's definitely a new favorite. It was pretty much perfect in all categories for the style and my taste.

4.8/5  rDev +5.3%

on tap at toronado SD for SDBW - kern river night

-gold with some fogginess to it. white colored tall head, with some plus retention

-big grapefruit smell off the bat. some orange and weed funk to it. not overbearing, but it is long lasting which is nice

-very subtle hop taste for a X2 IPA. also, this beer is crazy balanced. the orange is really strong and it also has a peach finishing flavor to it. the hop is all in the flavor as it is not really bitter

-on the thick end. extremely smooth

-drinks super easy...i love this beer. was arguably the best beer i tasted at SDBW and there was a lot of good ones. so glad i had a chance to drink some

4.92/5  rDev +7.9%

Drove over 600 miles to get a couple growlers of this bad boy..

A: pours a dark orange with a hazy body.. Nice bright white head with tiny bubbles..

S: WOW!! The aroma is so captivating. Loads of ripe citrus aromas (orange, grapefruit, pineapple).. Nice pine touch with a small dose of caRamel sweetness.. Words honestly can't describe..

T: another WOW!! Again you get hit with the beautiful citrus flavors.. Very ripe & fresh & so damn delicious.. Orange, mango, pineapple, grapefruit... Towards the finish pine is present along with a small amount of sweet malt.. Almost no alcohol detection.. Pretty much straight up hops but no harsh bitter finish..

MF: the mouthfeel is another great quality of this brew.. Medium bodied with a perfect carbonation level.. It sits in the mouth so nicely.. Very nice texture..

D: all day everyday..nuff said

4.3/5  rDev -5.7%

APPEARANCE:
On tap at Downtown Johnny Browns. Pours a cloudy orange color with big white head. The lacing is insane.
AROMA:
Huge mango and passion fruit smells more like juice than beer
FLAVOR:
Orange and sugar cookies to start, then candied orange peel, the tropical flavors to finish.
MOUTHFEEL:
Medium body but finishes a bit thin. That is my biggest complaint.
DRINKABILITY:
Extremely drinkable but this tastes more like a soda than beer. I find it hard to believe that there is any alcohol in there.

Citra from Kern River Brewing Company