Citra | Kern River Brewing Company

CitraCitra

Kern River Brewing Company
kernriverbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

A double IPA that is hazy pale in color with a strong pungent aroma that comes from large amounts of Citra hops.

Added by Solomon420 on 02-13-2010

#54

Ratings: 1,767 |  Reviews: 402
4.5/5  rDev -1.5%

4.24/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.75/5  rDev +3.9%

4.4/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to DarthKostrizer for setting me up with a bottle of this no questions asked and BHOBS for shuttling it back to the SCV!

Pours a murky honey orange with a huge 3 inch puffy tan head that packs down into a dense island of foam. Thick chunks of lace randomly line the glass on the drink down. Smell is incredible with lots of tropical fruit, peach, apricot, mango, and some citrus zest. Taste is of sweet malt, tropical fruit, peach/apricot, and mango. There is a slightly assertive citrus zest hop bitterness that lingers on the palate after each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a light crispness and a smooth mouthfeel. Overall, this is a fantastic DIPA with the wonderful tropical fruit aromas and flavors I have come to love in hoppy beers. I am very glad I got to try this one as I had absolutely no luck getting a bottle myself.

4.89/5  rDev +7%

Pours a crystal clear amber with a nice white head (historically when only on tap it was cloudy orange with some particulates; clarity is as a result, I'm told in a change in brewing procedures for bottling).

Nose is as good as it gets. Huge assertive sweet fresh pineapple.

Mouthfeel is rich and creamy and very inviting. The balance is wonderful.

Flavors are just about perfect. Front palate is rich fresh honey that developes to green pepper, celery, salt, green herbs and finishes with a big grapefruit skin oil bitter character.

This beer deserves the hype and, for me, is the best Double IPA on the market, in my opinion, an opinion held since I first tasted it at the brewery and brought home several growlers.

(Truthfully, years past on tap only have been slightly better only because they have been a bit all around "brighter" which I like.) However, this new bottling is quite good and deserves the hype.

Drink fast - this is not one to hold.

4.5/5  rDev -1.5%

4.54/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Big thanks to DaveHack for pouring one of these for me. This beer poured out darker than I expected. It has a golden amber color with a nice foamy white head on top. The lacing and retention were very nice. The smell of the beer is very nice, big amounts of peach and pineapple aromas on this brew. Smells very fruity and sweet, very inviting. The taste of the beer has some subtle lemon flavors with other hoppy citrus notes and a balanced malt backbone. The mouthfeel is smooth, very creamy feel to it along with some light carbonation. Overall this is very good, I would drink lots of this beer. Very pleased with how this beer was. Worth seeking out for any IPA lover.

3.84/5  rDev -16%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On-draught at Verdugo Bar, Los Angeles. I've waited a long time to try this one.

30cl for $8 USD. 8% ABV. Imperial IPA.

Pours a glowing orange body of average vibrance. No yeast or lees are visible. Head is white, coating, and thick. Head retention is good for the high ABV - ~8 minutes. Leaves scattered lacing on the sides of the glass as the head recedes.

AROMA: Orange creamsicle, fresh orange peel, fragrant citrus, a blip of rind, tangerine. Has concomitant bitterness but it's nevertheless well balanced. Suggests an imperial IPA with a well-disguised ABV, plenty of hop pungency, and good depth of flavour.

Aromatic intensity is average. I'm eager to try it. Very fresh and vivid.

TASTE: Undertones of orange creamsicle and candied citrus peel (orange, tangerine, maybe even mango) underscore this fresh citrusy brew. Juicy but adequately bitter, with pale malts keeping the hops in check, resulting in an impressively well balanced beer.

Good depth of flavour. Above average flavour duration and intensity.

I wouldn't say it's complex, but there is some intricate layering of citrusy flavours that amounts to a beer with a nice diversity of citrusy flavours. Exceeds the sum of its parts, but it's far from the most busy imperial IPA out there.

Nitpicking, it could be more vivid, fresh, and/or juicy, but it's very well-balanced as is.

MOUTHFEEL: Creamy, soft, medium to full-bodied, smooth, wet. Not oily, hot, boozy, astringent, harsh, rough, or scratchy. Well-carbonated.

OVERALL: Ludicrously drinkable for an 8% imperial IPA. Its balance really sets it apart. I can see why it's regarded as one of the very best in the style, and it showcases its hop selection extremely well. Up there with Alpine-brewed Alpine beers in my estimation, and very well executed, but I'd balk at the idea of waiting in line for it.

One of the best expressions of the style I've tried to date, but I can imagine it better. If orange creamsicle IIPAs are your bag but you want more bitterness and hop pungency than the hazy IPA fad offers without the yogurty tang of a Hill Farmstead expression of the style, this is the beer for you.

Really damn tasty.

B+ (3.84) / VERY GOOD

4.59/5  rDev +0.4%

Mad propers to Alex for breaking out this surprise growler recently... Review transcribed from notes.

Poured into a tasting glass, it had a peachy orange tone and a fluffy cap of lasting foam. Pleasantly hazed and unfiltered. Drippy arcs of lacing form inside the glass as its sipped. Good retention, with a lasting skim across the surface.

Complex ultra-fruity citrus aroma, orange, grapefruit, and more... mangoes even?! Dank and resiny, i'm really digging the Citra on showcase in here.

Hands down the most exact resemblance to grapefruit juice i've ever experienced in a beer. Almost identical to a glass of fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice. Wow. Pure unadulterated grapefruit citrus bomb. Subtle hop bitterness comes across too, leafy and green. Soft supple feel, light even carb, not quite approaching syrupy. This stuff was awesome. Thanks Alex for turning me on to Kern River... this gives Pliny a run for it's money, no doubt.

4.62/5  rDev +1.1%

Poured from the bottle into a Chimay goblet. Really glad I got to try this one at long last!

Appearance: Pours a cloudy amber with an orangish hue. There is a half finger of off white head that leaves a thin layer on top of the pour.

Smell: Now we're talking. Juicy citrus hops with some tropical fruit notes. A touch of sweetness and some pine as well.

Taste: Just like the smell, full of juicy citrus peel hops. I'm getting some tropical fruit and some pine needles from the hops. Just a touch of malt sweetness, enough to balance things out, but the hops definitely do their thing. The finish is bitter with a hint of spice.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with fluffy carbonation and a somewhat dry finish.

Overall: This is a fantastic IPA. I was so glad to get to try it, and it was extremely fresh too. I would jump at the chance to get more.

4.36/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.89/5  rDev +7%

Growler shared by chswimmer. Thanks!

Orange-amber body, hazy and nearly opaque, topped by two fingers of dense frothy foam that slowly settles to a small but lasting cap.

The aroma is unadulterated citrus fruit: lemon zest, orange peel, pineapple. There's also a touch of resiny pine and peach. There's no malt to speak of, but the hop aroma is massive and wonderful. As it warms I pick up more tropical fruit.

The hops are similarly huge on the palate, dominated by lemon, orange and tangerine citrus flavors. There's little malt to speak of, it's dry and crackery, barely providing a foundation for the big hop character. Tropical fruit in the finish with a clean but lingering resiny bitterness. This beer was a big surprise for me, absolutely delicious stuff.

4.63/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

BIG Thanks to dgb3 for sending this out!! Dan, you are the man!!!

Poured into Weyerbacher tulip.

Pours about a finger of off-white head. Fades to a thick ring, but leaves a ton of sticky lace walls. I am talking about lacing all the way with each sip I take. Color is a hazy burnt copper orange. Fairly dark for the style.

Aroma: Holy sweet fruits!!! Tons of fruit flavors with this dipa. Mangoes, pineapples, grapefruit citrus, and oranges. This is a massive fruit and citrus blast. Pure awesomeness. The fruit is backed up with a big malt backbone which is actually pleasant with this beer. Has a nice pine hop profile to it. I am diggin' this a lot. I really don't think it gets any better than this.

Taste: Again, a massive amount of fruit flavors. Mangoes stick out a lot with grapefruit, pineapple, and orange backing it up. Lots of pine hops, but some floral hops seem to show through a bit. The malts are definitely here, but in a good way. The malts add a level of sweetness to this beer. They seem to be of caramel/bready flavored and really work perfectly with this beer. I am having a hard time finding anything wrong with this one.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, chewy, and hardly bitter at all. Medium to full bodied for the style with a perfect amount of carbonation. The bitterness shows a little more in the aftertaste. The beer ends a little dry with lots of hops and fruit.

Overall... Wow! I am blown away by this beer. This is up there for the best of the best DIPA imo. The level of fruit is amazing. The malts that show are perfect. No booze shows through at all. This beast is very drinkable. I have an entire growler for myself and I have a feeling I will be able to finish it easily tonight. This beer is very drinkable and everything I want in a dipa. So much citrus and fruit flavors. I just can't get over this one. I can see why this beer is all they hype right now. If dipas are your thing, you gotta try this one. One of the best out there.

4.75/5  rDev +3.9%

4.57/5  rDev 0%

The illustrious Citra DIPA is finally here. I've been drooling over this for quite some time, and now I finally get a shot thanks to the awesome trader Solomon420.

A: Still got some nice carbonation, as the head rises up to about a finger and a half on a beautiful pour. THe head fades somewhat slowly, like it's teasing me as a pillow, which happens to be what it looks like, all pillowy there in it's glass. It also leaves a decent lacing on the sides as the pillow dissolves. The beer is a super hazy orange nectar color.

N: I could smell it on the pour, as expected. The aroma is loaded with hops, as expected. Lots of fresh hops, both dry and wet it seems, like they couldn't figure out how awesome this beer should be, so they threw both in. It has lots of musty fresh wet hops, a little resin, lots of pine, the citrus just dances around with more orange peel and even a little grapefruit, as well as even some spicy hops. The musty fresh resinous wet hops really overpower most of it. Oh yeah, and I get a hint of sweet malts there too.

T: Aaaannndddd... ooh yeah, the fresh hops dance around the palate, again loaded with fresh musty and somewhat resinous wet hops. Pretty spicy in the hop profile as well, with lots of pine and citrus hops. Again with the orange peel and light grapefruit, and some tropical flavors. Most of this is overpowered by the resinous musty hops though. Some chewy malts are present, but barely. They add a touch of sweetness and some nice body. THe slightest touch of a booze taste also there. It's pretty bitter overall, but not overwhelming. Some juiciness to the flavor as well, give it a drinkable somewhat refreshing taste.

M: Medium to slightly heavier body, a nice firm body, with still decent carbonation. A little oily as well from the hop oils.

F: Finishes even more bitter, but still not menacingly cringing bitterness. The lingering hop flavors include spicy hops, some musty hop profile but much less than before, a little citrus and pine, with a little fresh hop oils that seem to coat the tongue even. Mostly dry at this point, but a touch of sweetness there. It doesn't overpower with dryness either, which I was expecting the bitterness and dryness to just bombard each other, but low and behold they didn't. All that and the alcohol is practically not there. I think I get a very slight hint as it warms, but overall for 8% drinks really well.

So, an amazing DIPA as expected. It doesn't have the best hop flavors IMHO, a little too much on the musty resinous flavors and less on the pine and citrus, but a great tasting beer. But with what is lacking in hop flavors, it more than makes up for in balance and core design. The hops and light malty sweetness balance really well, nothing outsteps its bounds (except the musty resinous hop flavor just a bit), the dryness and bitterness don't overpower together, a nice juicy fruity flavors, just so drinkable and delicious. Due to the fresh wet hops and oils, resin, etc, this really has to be drunk fresh as expected and as always stated. Thanks a ton Damian!

4.39/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Poured with a small head of white foam that settles quickly and leaves good lace. The body is a hazy, copper-orange.

S - Strong lime and orange hop aromas and a little bit of toffee malt.

T - Lots of lemon and orange hops up front with a little pine. Very sweet toffee malt in the middle. Things finish up with more pine and orange as well as some sweet, biscuit maltthat us balanced by moderate bitterness.

M - A fairly thick body, moderate carbonation and a sweet finish.

D - Very fruity and very drinkable. The hops are over the top in terms of citrus character, but the malt balances them pretty well. The finish is quite sweet but it come across as well balanced.

4.69/5  rDev +2.6%

Huge, huge thanks to Solomon420 for getting me out a "growler" of this.

A: Pours a beautiful slightly-hazed apricot color with a very nice
white head and plenty of lacing.

S: Incredible. Absolutely floored by the fruit presence here. Immense aroma of peach, apricot, and a bit of mango. Other tropical fruits as well. At this point, the Citra hops can do no wrong.

T: Not quite as good as the nose, but still extremely delicious. The fruit just pops; there is some bitterness in the background, but not really too much. Similarly, no real malt presence. This is just pure hop flavor and aroma.

M: Medium body with good carbonation and quite smooth.

D: Immensely drinkable, especially for the style. The 8.0%abv does not come through at all. It's simply plenty of delicious hop flavor with a slightly bitter edge to it. While this might not be nearly as bitter as other West Coast beers of the same style, the flavor is just unbeatable; I don't care what the style is.

4.95/5  rDev +8.3%

Big thanks to Jose for getting this to me. I love the tropical fruit like hoppiness I got from other Citra hopped beers I've had so I've really been looking forward to this one. Opened up the growler to share with my Fiance as we put up the Christmas tree.

Poured from a growler into my Southern Tier tulip. It poured kind of a murky, pale orange color in the glass. It started out with a big, active, frothy, white head to it and lasted pretty well into drinking it. The head eventually retreated to the edges of the glass, where it left some fantastic, thick lacing on the sides. Pretty much a perfect looking DIPA, I can't think of anything more I could ask of it.

The aroma has the biggest tropical and fruity hop profile to it I've ever encountered. Lots of pineapple, mango, orange and peach really shine through. It has a bit of a tropical punch like flavor coming through. Awesome aroma, I love it.

The taste follows the aroma with lots opf tropical and fruity flavors. more of the peachy, pineapple, orange and mango are present throughout the flavor. Midway I get more of a green, herbal like, fresh hoppiness to it as well. It leans a bit on the sweet side but finishes wit ha slight bitterness. The sweetness really works well for it too and compliments the citra hop nicely. Just a touch of alcohol comes through in the finish. Fantastic tasting beer.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied and carbonation is moderate and a bit sharp. Drinkability for me is excellent. I love tropical fruit like hoppiness in beers and this one shows it off perfectly. This is probably my new favorite hoppy beer. Loved every part of it and I can only hope something similar to this comes to my market soon. I think this might be a new highest scoring beer for me, and it's definitely a new favorite. It was pretty much perfect in all categories for the style and my taste.

Citra from Kern River Brewing Company