Citra | Kern River Brewing Company

Kern River Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

A double IPA that is hazy pale in color with a strong pungent aroma that comes from large amounts of Citra hops.

Added by Solomon420 on 02-13-2010

Reviews: 382 | Ratings: 1,646
4.67/5  rDev +2.4%

Thank you Jimmy2282!

A: Single fingered head that displayed decent retention and solid lacing. It fades into a thin white film that remains throughout the tasting atop this cloudy unfiltered masterpiece.

S: Mango, papaya, oranges, accompanied by floral and pine notes. Scents are potent and wonderful.

T: Tropical fruits are present, but grapefruit flavors poke through and surprised me due to my inability to detect them in the scent. The strong hop profile is balanced perfectly with candied malts. So well balanced!

M: Creamy, medium bodied, and well carbonated.

O: I loved it and can't wait to try again.

got this brew through a trade and thank you so much for it. A totally awesome brew. So fresh absolutely one of the best DIPA out there. Full of Citra, grapefruit and flowery sweetness that only having a sip can explain. Well worth the travel to find one. Oh yeah and it is full of CITRA and a little more CITRA.

4.88/5  rDev +7%

This is just straight up awesome. Best IIPA I have ever had.

A: not sure what else I could ask for. Nice golden color with a fluffy white head.
S: amazing citrus with the pineapple really shining through in a big way. Nice light pine smell as well.
T: starts with some pineapple then you really get hit with some mango. It has a nice balance and isn't overly bitter at all.
M: much creamier than I would have thought. Mild carbination just works so well with it.

Overall this beer rocks. It is complex yet balanced. Really an amazing beer.

4.54/5  rDev -0.4%

I had the opportunity to try this beer at GABF, and much to my dismay, was extremely underwhelmed. This couldn't have been the Citra that everybody has been raving about.. so I decided to chalk it up to a botched batch, server error, oxidation... whatever. A few months later I was able to track down a fresh bottle from my local shop.

Appearance was solid. Standard color with an exceptional, white, lacey head. Smell was hands down the best combination of hop aroma I've experienced in a beer to date. Huge amounts of grapefruit, citrus, pine and resin. Taste followed suit from start to finish. Bitterness was perfectly balanced by an appropriate malt backbone. Finished slightly sweet and dry.

All hype aside, this is arguably the best IPA I've had thus far. Beautifully balanced and free of flaws from beginning to end. Thoroughly looking forward to trying in the future.

For those of you who have yet to try this beer, add it to your wants. A fresh bottle is well worth the trade IMHO.

Bottle into a snifter.

A: Burnished golden orange with two fingers of white sea foam. Retention is very good and lacing is scattered on the glass.

S: The hops are bright and fresh, imparting notes of peach, mango, orange, tangerine, and grapefruit. It smells absolutely excellent. Passion fruit is pretty strong. Malt is faint and crackery, and there's a restrained floral bouquet.

T: Juicy orange and tangerine blend with peach and a little bit of drier citrus rind notes. Malt is a shadow. This is just bursting with hop flavor. Grapefruit meets mango, mandarin orange, and guava. This is delicious. The beer is moderately bitter and the amount of hop flavor backing it up is comical.

M: Upper light in body with upper medium carbonation. The mouthfeel is dry and sticky.

Overall: Just a pleasure to drink. Amazing. I wish I had a growler of this in front of me. Hah! Think big, I always say! Why not two growlers in front of me?

4.28/5  rDev -6.1%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a New Belgium globe. Pours a hazy dark gold/orange with a finger and a half of foamy white head. The aroma is very strong, a lot of fruits (pineapple, citrus, mango) along with some pine notes. The taste is very much like the great aroma, a lot of tropical fruits and some complimenting malt characteristics. The mouthfeel is medium-light bodied and crisp, an easy drinker for sure, but the lack of bitterness and the fact that it was lacking complexity in the finish was a bit of a letdown.

A very nice DIPA for sure, but not quite the world-beater I was expecting.

4.4/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to DarthKostrizer for setting me up with a bottle of this no questions asked and BHOBS for shuttling it back to the SCV!

Pours a murky honey orange with a huge 3 inch puffy tan head that packs down into a dense island of foam. Thick chunks of lace randomly line the glass on the drink down. Smell is incredible with lots of tropical fruit, peach, apricot, mango, and some citrus zest. Taste is of sweet malt, tropical fruit, peach/apricot, and mango. There is a slightly assertive citrus zest hop bitterness that lingers on the palate after each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a light crispness and a smooth mouthfeel. Overall, this is a fantastic DIPA with the wonderful tropical fruit aromas and flavors I have come to love in hoppy beers. I am very glad I got to try this one as I had absolutely no luck getting a bottle myself.

4.59/5  rDev +0.7%

From the release a couple weeks ago. Tulip glass.

A: Pours clear, bright golden with two fingers of off white head. Some splotches of lacing and good retention which leaves a thin film throughout the entire pour.

S: Phenomenal citrus (orange, lemon) and tropical (pineapple, mango) aromas. A really unique spritzy lemon or something which gives it a great brightness. Some supporting caramel malt which blends beautifully with the forward hops. Really unique, and one of the best smelling IPAs I've had.

T: Similar, with a little floral pine on mid-palate, again with a sizeable dose of supporting caramel malt and some bitterness on the finish.

M: Medium body and light carbonation which makes it super smooth. Reminds me of their 5th Anniversary in terms of really low carbonation, which leads to better sessionability but only a little crispness.

O: World class. This is a big, juicy van of an DIPA.

4.34/5  rDev -4.8%

I had this in a pint glass poured from a 22oz bomber.

A -Looks nice, nice orange to amber color, nice, creamy head, incredible lacing.

S: WOW, this beer smells great, one of the best smelling beers I have ever had. As soon as I smelled it I knew I would like this beer.

T: This beer tastes very good, right up there with some of the best in this category. It did smell better than it tasted though.

M:Nice carbonation.

O:This is an excellent beer. A notch below some of my favorites, but an excellent beer that lives up to its hype.

4.47/5  rDev -2%

A- Brownish copper color with a fluffy off-white head that keeps a healthy cap, lacing the glass nicely as it goes down.

N- Huge bitter grapefruit aromas with elements of the rind, pith, and flesh. Juicy citrus accents with soft pineapple and tropical fruit gummy bears underneath. Just a hint of toasted grain way in the back. Floral, herbal fumes start to appear as the beer warms.

T- Clean, sweet toasted grain provides a thick base for the hoppy goodness that ensues. A firm bitterness cuts the sweet malt with notes of herbs, grass, pine resin, and grapefruit rind. Dry biscuity malt emerges from the bitterness, while juicy citrus and tropical fruit keep the mouth watering through the mid palate. The finish is long and fairly dry with lingering grain and a lasting grassy, herbal, piney bitterness that leaves you with fresh hop breath.

M- Medium to full bodied, slightly syrupy and sticky. Moderate carbonation and a semidry finish.

D- Overall, a solid DIPA. I much prefer the bottle version of this to the growler. Always a treat to have, and I look forward to the next batch if I can't get my hands on any more this round.

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Opened a box from BA Tieman today expecting some Pliny or something similar and pulled this baby out. Thanks again, Dan!

Poured into a Bruery snifter.

A - Really nice golden color with an awesome soapy, bright white head on top. Nice lacing as well.

S - smells of delicious garlic, some cat piss, fresh cut grass.... basically it's a bold, bright, fresh citra BOMB! Really nice.

T - as the nose predicted but 50x more intense and delicious. Bitter hops, malty balance, and all the citra you can handle. It's about 10 degrees out right now but it's spring time in this glass. Really awesome.

M - extremely smooth considering the nice bite this has. Creamy and the perfect amount of body as it goes down.

O - this beer has a A+ and it's easy to understand why. One of the best I've tasted in my life.

4.58/5  rDev +0.4%

A- 2 fingers frothy white head. Hazy, golden orange zest color. Lace holds on to the glass. This is what a IIPA should look like.

S- Not overly fragrant which surprised me. I have been opening some nose bombs lately but I walked a couple laps around my kitchen with my nose in it. What aroma there is hits me pleasantly. I smell the warm citra hops. A little honey back, some pineapple.

T- Very, very good. I think the label is misleading. This is not like chewing on a hopvine. There are others out there for that, instead Citra is very balanced. I don't know how fresh mine is, mind you but the flavors are all there. Pineapple, lemon, grapefruit, mango, I think the fact that sweet, sugar forward fruit is detectable is evidence of balance.

M- This is where it stands out. BONE dry. Which is how I like it. Finish is the cleanest I have ever tasted. Nice carbonation.

O- This thing is a legend, I had high expectations and they were met. It wasn't a blow my face off this is the best beer I have ever had reaction. But a damn this is one of the better beers I have had reaction.

4.97/5  rDev +9%

I was fortunate to get two fresh bottles this week. First time with this uber-hyped cult hero. To be honest I was sure this was just going to be another really good DIPA that gets the uber hype so associated with anything made in limited supply that is equally very well made, in my wine world it is the Screaming Eagles, Schraders and SQN'S. To my pleasant surprise this is the Schrader of the craft beer world. The first thing that told me this was special was the nose, huge hoppy, all stinky and sweet, simply amazing. The color is a nice clear golden yellow with a medium head with nice lacing as I drink down. The flavor profile is awesome, sweet tropical fruit, loads of grapefruit,crushed orange peel and a oyster shell mineralality underline the overall package. The mouth feel is unlike any other, tangy carbonation that leaves bone dry and ready for another quaff. I am so glad I finally was able to taste this beer. And I will say it is worth every bit the well deserved hype it gets.

4.82/5  rDev +5.7%

Finally got my hands on this one, a fresh bottle from the Thanksgiving release. It pours a really fantastic honey straw color, hints of amber, hints of goldenrod with an aggressive 3 fingers of soapy head on top. This guy sports some wicked lacing and a nice layer of soapy head sits atop the entire way down, very impressed at first glance. The smell is overwhelming, an insane amount of dank hops hit the nose, grapefruit, orange zest, pineapple, some bubble gum all play a role, but none crowd the other out and a nice soft grain straw aroma seals the deal, just enough to remind you there IS malt in this. Nice bitter kick of hops on the tongue, earthier than the nose leads on, resinous pine, some sappy flavors, but it doesn't let you forget the citrus, big grapefruit and zesty acidic flavors come to the show, a hint of biscuit, but it's nothing more than the faintest of counterbalances. It really pushes the envelope of hoppiness, Pliny the Elder does a great job of having that mad hoppy thing going for it, but it reigns them in exceptionally well, this reminds me more of Hop Riot in the sense that it's just overwhelmingly hopped, but Citra sets itself apart from all challengers with the perfect balance of flavors and remains quite drinkable. It's got a nice body, a bit soapy from the head, but overall, really nice, not too big and chewy and nowhere near too thing.

Verdict: Breathtaking. I don't even care to have the conversation of Pliny vs Citra vs Heady Topper or anything. I just want to sit down, and drink this bad boy, and let that be it. It's exceptionally crafted, and masterfully balanced, the malt is just enough to keep the hops in check, but they are in full force, and I'm loving it.

4.8/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured from the bottle (batch released on 11/25/11) into tulip.

Pours an amber/orange/peach color, semi-cloudy with a white dense two finger head which dissipates into a thin layer of foam on the surface. Lacing is sticky and slow to drip. It's not as clear as some other beers but I happen to like that.

Smell is incredible with this beer. Huge citrus notes from sweet valencia orange, light manila mango, to mandarin orange. Faint whiff of alcohol that's predominantly masked by the sweet citrus. What a joy to smell.

The taste is filled with lemon peel, mandarin orange, with a bright and dry bitterness that's somewhat reminiscent of over-steeped green tea. Bright floral notes dance with the citrus.

Mouthfeel is crisp without being too carbonated. There's no shortage of bubbles but you're not inundated with that harsh finish in the throat that plagues some beers of this type.

I feel like such a homer writing this review because my score suggests it, but I'm truly trying to be objective about this beer. I'm trying to find chinks in the armor, so to speak, but I really can't find any. If i were to find a flaw, it would probably speak more about my taste preferences than the beer itself. I love this beer for what it is, an amazing, peerless citrus bomb.

Generously shared by Darthkostrizer.
Pours a clear very light orange, with a peer white head that leave lacing around the glass.

S- very nice aroma, fruity, mango, pineapple, floral

T- is similar to the smell, very fresh. pineapple, tropical fruits, mango, sweet, floral.

M- nice medium bodied, good carbonation.

Overall this was a GREAT brew, best DIPA i've ever had. Held up to the hype completely. Smells great the second the bottle is opened. Taste is amazing can't wait to get it fresh this week when its rereleased

4.92/5  rDev +7.9%

Served in a pint glass on 11/1/11; reviewed from notes. Shared with two friends. Thanks to Vanlingleipa for this amazing brew!

A- Copper-orange with a full, one finger, white head that lasted throughout and left a sticky lacing behind. Light penetration was complete.

S- Fruity: citrus, grapefruit, and mango.

T- Slightly bitter with the full range of the fruits present in the aroma.

M- Medium with ample carbonation.

O- Honestly, I wasn't sure if it would live up to the hype, but it did! The only disappointment I have is that I couldn't get two bottles.

4.92/5  rDev +7.9%

22oz bomber poured into SA glass. No bottle dating.

Honey-orange, clear liquid, one-finger white, fluffy head.

Fine hoppy fragrance of citrus, grapefruit, lemon, mango. Fantastic.

The aroma is true as the first sip reveals a wonderful hop experience. Smooth bitterness full of mango, lemon/lime and grapefruit envelopes the taste buds like a velvet glove. Tingling, fruity hop bitterness lingers. Not bitter, but smooth.

Medium body, nicely carbonated. Nothing to complain about.

This one is a winner throughout. The alcohol is well hidden and the Citra hops explode. These hops are becoming my favorite as they impart such a citrus, fruity flavor, reminding me of growing up in Ft Lauderdale and the abundance of enjoyable fresh tropical fruits in my backyard.

4.05/5  rDev -11.2%

22oz bottle courtesy of oach. Notes from a month ago

A: Slightly burnt orange, fully translucent. 1 finger white head, retained well throughout the glass. Decent thin lacing

S: Definitely loaded with citra hops. Orange and mango burst forth. Accompanied by a light amount of scallion and bread crust

T: Same as the nose. Juicy citrus fruit - oranges, pineapple and mango. Thankfully, there is less scallion in the taste. Somewhat balanced with some lightly toasted bread

M: Medium bodied, slightly bitter. What I particularly enjoyed about this was it didn't your typical IPA "burn" for the palate

D: Glad to have finally tried this one, but can't say it lived up to level people put it at. Would drink again, but doubt I'd trade for it considering what people ask for

4.97/5  rDev +9%

Had on tap at 38 Degrees Ale House in Alhambra, CA, during LA Beer Week.

A: Golden and cloudy with some lacing and pale foam. Good head retention.

S: Massive fruit. Pear, grapefruit, mango, with a backing of piney spruce, sweet malt and alcoholic astringency.

T: A powerful, robust palette of flavors that closely matches the nose. Mango and grapefruit are front and center, with sweet Citra and Amarillo hops dominating the flavor of the beer. A lingering evergreen aftertaste. Extraordinarily balanced with a toasted malt backing. Unbelievably refreshing and drinkable, with negligible alcoholic heat.

M: The dense and chewy body is wholly appropriate for how huge this beer is.

O: It's rare that I use this word to describe a beer, but "masterful" is apt. This is the single best DIPA I've ever tasted. It's even smoother and more robust than Pliny the Elder, and it outclasses virtually every American Double I've ever had, including HopSlam or 120 Minute.

I don't know how this bottles, but on draught, it was an absolute pleasure to drink. It's shame that this beer is so rare, otherwise it would be my go-to DIPA.

4.42/5  rDev -3.1%

A huge thanks to drabmuh for this bottle.

A: Almost clear dark yellow-orange in color. Forms a nice, big, fluffy, barely off-white head that leaves some sheets of lacing on the way down.

S: Unsurprisingly full of citrus and tropical fruits. Mango and passionfruit dominate, with notes of orange, pineapple, and a little caramel malt. Smells juicy.

T: Tastes much like the aroma. Starts with a light, juicy sweetness. Then lots of tropical fruit: passionfruit, mango, orange, tangerine, and mango. There is a very mild caramel malt backbone. Finishes with a surprisingly mild bitterness.

M: Medium body with appropriate carbonation. Smooth, slick, and a little chewy. Bitterness is less than one would expect on a DIPA.

O: A very good beer. Just packed full of Citra aroma and flavor, this beer needs to warm just a little to be fully appreciated. An appreciated it was.

4.32/5  rDev -5.3%

Reviewed from notes:

appearance: copper orange with a on finger white head

smell: grapefruit, citrus, orange, mango, caramel, malts

taste: citrus, hops, malts

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body,

overall: very easy drinkable dipa. so glad I finally was able to try this beer.

The cpj

4.5/5  rDev -1.3%

Acquired in a trade with AutomaticBastard, good looking out bro!

Poured into a tulip glass from a 22oz bomber

A: pours a nice deep golden color, with about a 1 inch head. Persistent head tightly packed bubble, get bigger toward the middle of the glass

S: Tropical fruits, mango, pineapple, guava, with the citrus fruits such as lemon, lime, orange, grapefruit fighting for the dominant aroma.

T: grapefruit rind, orange peel, pineapple, with very little malt character in the background. the taste is crisp and dry, unlike many double ipas on the market that leave a cloying sweetness in the tast. definetly has a bitter not sweet finish

M: med to light body, with a refreshing dryness.
as the taste is swished in my mouth it almost dissapears into a cotton candy like mouthfeel.

O: this beer was definetly worth the wait. it reminds me alot of the profile of alpine ipas, hop profile that smacks you right on the face with a bouquet of citrus and tropical aromas and flavors, without the sweetness and more of the bitter not sweet taste and body. great beer

4.42/5  rDev -3.1%

Golden amber, white head, decent lacing.

Beautiful citrus aroma. Fresh mango, some orange and pine too. Just fresh, juicy, and lush.

Taste definitely has citrus, but there's more mango sweetness than citrus pungency. Good pine presence. More malt too, as the beer warms. Not as big on hops as many of the great dipas, but it contends with them.

A great beer.

4.82/5  rDev +5.7%

A - Deep amber with a half inch head that dissipates to a fine lacing after about 1 minute.

S - Citrus, pine, grass and spice with a slightly mustiness.

T - Grapefruit, bittersweet orange, lemon peel, pine, ginger and slight floral characteristics with a bold and distinct hoppiness.

M - Nicely carbonated, refreshing and crisp.

O - A really impressive offering. Hoppy, complex and throughly enjoyable. I can't wait to get the opportunity to try it again.

Citra from Kern River Brewing Company