Citra | Kern River Brewing Company

CitraCitra

Kern River Brewing Company
kernriverbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

A double IPA that is hazy pale in color with a strong pungent aroma that comes from large amounts of Citra hops.

Added by Solomon420 on 02-13-2010

Reviews: 387 | Ratings: 1,685
4.35/5  rDev -4.6%

Sold out in less than 24 hours here in Bakersfield.

I had one bottle after cutting the grass in 95 degree weather. I couldn't properly evaluate the beer other than to notice it's freshness and subtlety. It is not your typical hop bomb. There is quite a fine balance and restrained finesse with the ingredients.

Better luck next time I hope.

4.08/5  rDev -10.5%

big thanks to deadeye for this!

pours a slightly hazy golden copper with a nice inch plus of fluffy white head. nice lacing and retention.

lots of booze and bitterness with a faint hint of malt. not very complex on the nose. bits of citrus, mainly tangerine.

tropical fruit, with mango, pineapple, and tangerine coming to mind. lots of citra bitterness. grapefruit in the finish. malt body is there but the hops really take center stage.

great body. perfect mild to moderate carbonation. a bit chewy with a hint of resin on the teeth.

this is good but overhyped. glad i waited until this was bottled. nice 8% ABV for a DIPA, i would buy this again easily. however at the end of the day, i prefer the regular "just outstanding".

4.72/5  rDev +3.5%

746th Review on BA
Bottle to Tulip
22oz
No date on bottle, but released on Friday, drank Monday. Pretty damn fresh

Thanks to BA Richbeer for picking one up for me.

App- Wonderful bright orange with some yellow streaks radiating out with a big puffy pillow top two finger head. Falls gracefully with a ton of cling and lace. Huge lacing on this one.

Smell- Huge amounts of fruit on the nose. Just a ton of bright vibrant fruits. Orange, pineapple, tangerine. Light and floral and balanced. Everything I've wanted my DIPA to be.

Taste- For a DIPA this is a very light beer. It was balanced by the floral hops and juicy citrus and had only a small bitter note. The juicy citrus melds everything together to create a such tasty beer. I can se why the rush to get a bottle.

Mouth- Medium bodied and bordering on a bit light to me. A paired medium carbonation with a floral fruit and a slight bitter residual flavor.

Drink- Well 5th Anniversary DIPA was good even with 2 months of fade to it and it was a bit bigger and more bitter. This was better. The best DIPA I have had.

4.69/5  rDev +2.9%

Growler

Kern River Brewing Company
Kernville, CA

Thanks to Alucard4, DarthKostrizer, and MrVonzipper for sharing this!

Dark, clear amber. Thick, off-white, soapy head. Regular lacing down the glass.

Pungent and tropical aromas galore: pineapple, orange, and mango aromas from the hops are explosive as well as floral highlights. There's a touch of bready caramel and some slight pine--but this is certainly a showcase of hops. Wow!

The flavor is again filled with pungent tropical flavors: mango, orange, and some pineapple. There's a touch of pine, sticky marijuana, and just a hint of bready, cracker and caramel malts. Delicious!

Exceptionally full yet disappearing mouthfeel. Incredibly drinkable.

One of the best DIPAs around.

4.54/5  rDev -0.4%

22oz bottle split with my wife, she is a major hophead.
A- Pours an orange gold color with a half finger white head that dissipates to a ring leaving some lacing on the glass.
S- The nose of this beer is fantastic, so much citrus, orange's, tangerine's, with a hint of sweetness.
T- The flavors of this beer really pronounce themselves throughout the beer as it warms, really picking up flavors of kumquats and other tart citrus flavors, a slight pine resin and a little heat in the finish.
M- Fairly medium body with a lingering hop bite, somewhat lightly carbed and wouldn't mind a tad more.
O- Hard to avoid the hype behind this beer and I won't say it lives up to it but I also won't say that it doesn't. Its without a doubt an awesome DIPA, that I wish was more available. My wife is hooked on it and ranks it in her top 5 favorites.

Kern River Citra DIPA
Got a hold of a three of these bottles from two different stores in the Kern River Citra Craze of 8/19/2011.

From 22 OZ Bomber into a tulip glass.
Appearance: Beautiful orange color with a minimal haze. The head was white and fluffy. Lacing was great.

Aroma: Hops and more hops. This beer smells of fresh cut peaches, pineapple, and mango, It’s wonderful!

Mouthfeel: Great carbonation with a medium body feel.

Taste: Insanely hoppy but not bitter! Tthe drinkability is amazing.

Overall: Worth the hype! I heard about this beer not long ago so I was lucky to get a hold of it while it lasted.

4.82/5  rDev +5.7%

I have been trying to get my hands on Citra for some time and I finally copped a bottle down the from my house.

Pours a very nice very clear amber hue with a fluffy off white head that had some great hang time. Definitely left some nice lacing on the glass the entire drink.

Aromas are just jumping out of the glass like crazy. There are piney notes, big tropical fruit like mango and pineapple and some citrus aromas as well. I have to say its perfect.

Taste again I have to say perfect. I have not had a more easyh to drink DIPA that packs this much flavor. Hops are in your face but not off-putting at all. Sweet upfront with bitterness all the way to the dry crisp end. There is nothing I don't like here.

Drinkability is perfect. Crisp and refreshing with full flavor, it's a win all the way. I need to get more of this while I can.

4.33/5  rDev -5%

Split a bomber with Walows. Been dying to try this for ages but our Kern River fishing trip/beer journey has yet to pan out...

I popped the cap and the aroma instantly jumped out of the bottle... Smelled incredible. (Ditto on the pineapple express. Good call!) The color is gorgeous as well, a deep gold and crystal clear.

But the taste disappointed a bit. Don't get me wrong, it's a tasty beer, but I suppose with such high expectations it's only natural to be let down, just a little. The drinkability is incredibly high... I don't like the bit of glycerin in the mouthfeel, but otherwise the alcohol is very, very well-hidden.

Overall, it's a great beer.

Thanks to DarthKostrizer for the growler share and Alucard4 for picking it up.

Nice crystal clear amber color with a very nice off white frothy head with excellent retention and little lacing.

Wow!! As the growler top is popped the amazing fresh hops are prolific. You can smell this amazing explosive nose just holding the beer away from your head. Wonderful floral and light citrus notes. A slight sweetness. Also kind of smells like really good weed. (pineapple express would be the perfect name for this)

Flavor is amazing as well. Excellent balance and transition from hop forward to a nice light mild malt sweetness.

Light bodied, very fresh and crisp. Nice carbonation.

Overall IMO this beer, for the style deserves no less than a 5. Hands down the best IPA I've ever had. Crushes PtE!! Amazing nose, flavor and balance and so easy to drink it's crazy. Simply a perfect DIPA.

4.95/5  rDev +8.6%

Growler shared with MrVonzipper

Look: Light orange/copper color with 1/2 head and good retention and some lacing

Smell: Amazing floral scent from the dry hopping. There are some wonderful fruits here as well. Pineapple and other island fruits

Taste: I feel like I just took an island hopping experience in Hawaii. The flavors are straight island fruits. Pineapple mango and banana

Mouthfeel: Medium body with medium carbonation and a dry finish

Overall: Very crisp clean and fruity DIPA. Very easy drinkability with amazing flavors but the best part of this beer is the nose. This is hands down the best DIPA I have ever had.

4.87/5  rDev +6.8%

First and foremost - a big thank you to Kyle the brewer for finally bottling this and making it a little more accessible for people to try what I consider my favorite overall beer I have ever had.

Appearance: This is one area where I think it is slightly different. The beer is a little more clear coming out of the bottle vs. a growler. A beautiful orange pretty clear with a white head that disappears pretty quick.

Smell: I love the way this beer smells. Its all tropical--pineapple,mango,peach,tangerines, and mandarin oranges. Has a little orange zest in the smell as well-- real strong on all tropical citrus notes. No real malt in the smell just pure hop bliss.

Taste: This is the most easy drinking double IPA you will ever have. When i first had this beer a year ago and change my initial thought was its decently bitter but now after having it numerous times I can say there is a nice malt backing to it to balance out all of those hops. In the front of the taste I get alot of oranges and tangerines followed by some slight pineapple on the finish. Definitely has some bitterness but it does seem pretty well balanced with a slight malt after taste. Pretty dry beer to me so it goes down really easy and quick for me. I could and have polished off a growler in a little over a hr and could not believe it was gone that quick. A easy drinker for me.

Mouthfeel: A little less carbonation than the draft version. It still has a nice mouthfeel but slightly less carbonation none the less.

Overall: I can't wait to get up to Kern for the next time Citra is available. Get a hold of me Kyle and I will just buy you a extra fermenter to keep this thing year around. I can't tell you how much I appreciate this beer. Wish it was closer to me. I have had so many of the IPA's and doubles and all the top tier one's and I can say this really lives up to the hype easily. I could pick this out of a line up blind folded with ease. Nothing compares. Keep up the great work Kyle. Can't to have some more of the 5th Anniversary beer this fall. Keep the great IPA's coming Kyle and I will keep drinking them.

4.12/5  rDev -9.6%

Growler shared with Stupac2.

A-Pours clear light amber with an inch of fluffy off white head.

S-I can smell this from across the room. Intense citra hop fruit explosion! Purees strawberries, bittersweet citrus skins, mango...making me drool.

T/M-Soft and full bodired, with light, supportive carbonation. Initial tropical fruit hop flavors recede into tasty marijuana earthiness. The finish is dry, with light mouth coating tannic earthy hoppiness.

O-Not sure how much this lives up to the insane hype surrounding it, but it is one of the better Citra-centric beers I've had. Uses the aromatic properties of the hop to its full potential.

4.92/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours a light gold. Actually kind of surprisingly light for a DIPA. The beer has a nice foamy head that sticks around. The aroma is pungent and hoppy. Tons of hops, no noticeable malt on the nose. The hops are citrusy and floral, there is some pineapple on the nose and just a hint of pine. The taste is pure hops but there is noticeable sweetness on the palette. This is actually less hop forward than I was expecting. The balance is good, not too sweet with a nice refreshing burst of hops.

The more I drink this down the more I love the hops. A nice, pleasant bitterness and a hop aroma that smells like what beer perfume would smell like it it were an awesome idea instead of a horrible one. I'd get this again, if only I could!

4.87/5  rDev +6.8%

Bomber split with my brother a day after the release.

Pours a glowing copper orange that is slightly see-through. You see very little carbonation climbing to the top. A nice 2 finger head is formed atop. Extremely tight bubbles that last for quite some time. Thin lacing is left behind, but there's a lot of it.

Smell is intoxicating. I love how simple this beer is. Just loaded to the brim with Citra hops. Nice tropical notes, but just ultra ripe Citra. You can smell it from a good 2 feet away. Absolutely incredible.

Taste follows the outstanding smell. Full of juicy tropical fruits followed by the even juicier Citra hops. I usually like complexities, but this is so one dimensional and I am absolutely blown away by it.

Mouthfeel is on the heavier side. Low carbonation with a creamy mouthfeel. Very nice.

When I had this on tap at the release I liked it, but didn't love it. Sitting down with the bottle though I am now a complete believer of the hype. This will be a hard DIPA to top, but I look forward to trying to find one that does. Well done KRBC.

4.45/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Chris for sharing this growler.

A - Orange-yellow-amber colored beer with a forthy white head that has really nice retention. Some good, sticky lace on the sides.

S - Citra, the hops we all crave now. Great tropical fruit, almost jammy, not any real bitterness, at least the resiny kind that you get from lots of DIPAs. Smells very nice, quite light.

T - Taste is really good, but really, this is almost all citra hops, not getting much of a malt backbone here at all. Almost juice like in its taste, with tropical citrus hops being the only thing I'm getting. Good stuff, but I want a bit more fuller flavor.

M - Medium bodied, good carbonation, quite smooth.

O - Really great beer, easy to get down, probably a great DIPA to introduce people to if they need to try DIPAs. Not my favorite by a long shot, as I like them to get slightly more bitter and have a little more malt backbone, but this is a great beer nontheless.

A: Lovely cloudy golden hue.

S: Orange peel oil.

T: Orange peel oil, pineapple, a solid citra hop profile that amalgamates harmoniously. Clean finish.

M: Medium thickness and sticky on the lips. Medium, but finer carbonation.

O: The best Double IPA I've ever had.

4.3/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Slightly hazy orange copper with a long lasting whitish head. Tons of lacing left throughout.

S - Big citrusy, lemony grapefruit aromas, light breadiness and subtle sweet malts. Light alcoholic smell as it warms, but it is not detracting.

F/M - Slightly sweet bready malts followed by tons of huge, citrusy, piney hops. Grapefruit and slightly resinous. Moderately firm bitterness with medium body and moderate carbonation.

O - Very nice IIPA, I could drink this all night long. Good thing the wife is driving :)

4.94/5  rDev +8.3%

A: cloudy unfiltered looking with a nice vibrant orange/gold hue

S: Amazing. Tropical notes with a strong underlying smell of citrus. i could smell this beer as it was set on the table. I could smell this for day...

T: Very similar to the smell, tropical fruit with a strong flavor of citrus. Very nice bitterness that is present but not overwhelming.

M: medium bodied with a good amount of resinous oils that coats the tongue.

O: Without a doubt my favorite double ipa. The smell alone is quite intoxicating.

3.75/5  rDev -17.8%

On tap in sample size at the 2011 Bistro DIPA Fest. Pours a hazy golf with a dense white froth. Malty brown sugar and candied lemon hops on the nose with a piney accent. Flavor is lemon zest with a light pale malt note. I appreciate the hop focus without a syrupy malt profile but it also is allowing a soapy astringent note to come through. Solid bitterness but not really up to DIPA standards. A good beer but I'm not buying the hype here.

4.72/5  rDev +3.5%

From notes 4/9/2010 - Had this on tap at O'Brien's in San Diego. It was cloudy, no chance of seeing through, the keg had just been tapped so that might've had to do with it... but the color was a nice burnt orange and the head was fairly meager. My rating for the appearance is on what I think it would be had it not been "O'Brienified." Their pours often do a bit of injustice to the beers appearance. The smell profile was very similar to blind pig but even more potent. Very citrusy. The flavor was similar as well but carried an even bigger mango presence than Blind Pig normally does. I perceived this as a fairly well attenuated beer, not a syrupy sweet mess. Very enjoyable.

4.62/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On-tap at Downtown Johnny Browns in San Diego. Poured into a Pint Glass.

A - Poured a beautiful orange-amber with a creamy white head that never fully dissipates.
S - Definitely smells like Citra hops! Huge tropical notes of pineapple, mandarin orange, peaches, and pine resin. Amazing!
T - Taste is spot-on with the nose, mostly tropical hop flavors with a nice caramel backbone and a strong, bitter finish.
M - Sticky, with a fairly full mouth-feel, medium body, and moderate carbonation. The 8% ABV is barely noticed.
O - Wonderful DIPA, and an excellent showcase for one of my favorite hop varietals.

4.92/5  rDev +7.9%

An outstanding example of a Double Indian Pale Ale

A: Straw colored, clean with medium fluffy white head

S: Very citrusy, leaning towards grapefruit

T: Hoppy, delicate, citrus prevails again

M: Fine carbonation, crisp, clean finish

O: This is one of the best beers that I have had the opportunity to try. Blows similar double/imperial IPAs out of the water.

3.48/5  rDev -23.7%

Been waiting for this one for a while. Thanks go out to mrbubbler for the opportunity.

A: Hazy orange color. The pour dropped a finger or so of pure white head that faded to a thin rim and left little lace.

A: The aroma is that of sweet pineapple, pine tar, and citrus. I actually get a little butter in the nose, which I hope is not a sign of off flavors.

T: The taste follows the nose, with notes of more pineapple, orange, and pine sap. The biscuit and caramel malt balance this well. I was afraid of this from the nose, but there is a distinct diacetyl taste. The buttery notes are not pleasant. If not for this, I believe this would be a good beer.

M: Creamy for a dipa. Medium to full body, light on the carbonation.

O: I was expecting an A+ brew, I got an B brew. Not bad, if it weren't for the diacetyl, I guess I got a bad batch. This is definately not on par with the world class brews such as Hopslam, in my opinon. I hope to get to try this again, and am chalking this review up to a bad batch. Skal.

4.12/5  rDev -9.6%

Thanks to Damian (Solomon420) for the trade

Pours a hazy amber with a finger or so of off white head which quickly laces away. Smells of pine tar pungency and wafts of orange oil, a little sweet pineapple on the finish and surprisingly.. a little alcohol glides through just at the very end. Taste follows the nose but more diminutive. Hop bitterness comes in on the finish and maintains a bitter aftertaste on the back of the palate. Medium bodied and mouth coating. leaves an oily slickness on the palate, light carbonation..

Overall a very solid DIPA.. well made and balanced, I will be seeking this one out whenever I can

4.8/5  rDev +5.3%

I had this at a growler share. thanks for sharing tjmodica! I never had heard of Kern River and was asked to try this since I'm a big hophead. Glad I didn't pass this one up.

I'm a big fan of Pliny and this one is up there. The citra hop is all about this DIPA. Nice grapefruit/pineapple aroma and taste. Great carbonation for being in a growler for over a week. Creamy head with a medium to light amber color.

I'll have to keep an eye for this beer the next time I'm in California.

Citra from Kern River Brewing Company