Citra | Kern River Brewing Company

CitraCitra

Kern River Brewing Company
kernriverbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

A double IPA that is hazy pale in color with a strong pungent aroma that comes from large amounts of Citra hops.

Added by Solomon420 on 02-13-2010

#56

Ratings: 1,755 |  Reviews: 400

4.75/5  rDev +3.9%

4.36/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Finally had a chance to try this - perhaps the last of my top wants in my list that I've compiled for the past several years. Poured into a tulip glass at FWIBF. Pretty sure this is a fresh batch, but I was too pleased with glee that this was in my hand that I forgot to ask how old.

Looks solid, and standard to all memorable DIPAs and regular IPAs I've gone through in my life. Cloudy, with a sunset orange amber hue that is pleasing to the eye yet very simplistic with its homebrew-like appearance. The head is fluffy and foamy, and leaves behind some nice lacing as it dissipates. Doesn't appear too viscous, but it's definitely a little sticky from the looks of it. Pleasant and juicy looking.

Smells juicy as well! This is perhaps the highlight of this beer - amazingly vivid notes of stone fruit, citrus, and tropical varieties clash together, but in a somewhat graceful and glowing manner. This is ALL about the Citra here, but of some of the Amarillo adds some fun flavors to it, ranging from peaches, apricot, melon, pineapple, guava, and, of course, grapefruit, orange peel, and pine. Just like any excellent DIPA, the beauty is in the bright display of fresh fruit, and not so much with the measure of dankness. This lives up to that, without a doubt. Smells far less bitter than perhaps its IBUs would indicate, and this is nothing but fantastic.

The flavor is not nearly as graceful and bright as the aroma, but it is nevertheless delicious and deserves all the credit where credit is due. Big notes of grapefruit, pine, peaches, and pineapple dominate the palate, with a crisp toffee and caramel malt profile following soon after. Ends with more stone fruit notes, as well as a dried citrus peel flavor that nicely cleanses the palate and leaves the sweet malt notes lingering as well as a floral, earthy characteristic. The feel of this beer is also an enormous highlight for me - not only is it crisp and refreshing, but it's also delightfully airy and ripe as any great freshly squeezed juice tends to be. Good acidity, fruit sweetness, as well as a malty crispness that makes this wonderfully addictive and approachable. Yummy stuff, and definitely up there with the greats.

This was delicious, and I really wish there were a better way to get access to this other than these beer festivals or the lottery system (for bottles) that they implemented at the brewery last year. If this were easy to find, I'd definitely make this a regular in my fridge due to its enormous drinkable character. It's a shame that great beers across the country such as this one are difficult to get. I feel honored to have tried it, and I hope I cross paths with it again one of these days.

4.75/5  rDev +3.9%

4.5/5  rDev -1.5%

Never have I ever had such a pleasing ratio of Citra and Amarillo.
We truly are spoiled here in Kern County.

Citra from Kern River Brewing Company