Citra | Kern River Brewing Company

CitraCitra

Kern River Brewing Company
kernriverbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

A double IPA that is hazy pale in color with a strong pungent aroma that comes from large amounts of Citra hops.

Added by Solomon420 on 02-13-2010

#56

Ratings: 1,756 |  Reviews: 401

4.82/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Unbelievable!! I have made the trek up to Kern River twice to get this after winning their lottery. As good as it is in the bottle, it is every more amazing on tap and fresh. One of the best.

3.5/5  rDev -23.4%

4.91/5  rDev +7.4%

A - Cloudy pale-ish yellow amber. Pours with a nice finger head, which dissipates fairly quickly to a thin foam layer. Nothing special.

S - I could smell the citrusy hoppy goodness as soon as the cap popped off the bottle. Don't even need to put your nose in the glass to smell all the flavors. Delicious grapefruit and tangerine dominate with a bit of dankness and some other citrusy fruit smell. For me the best smelling IPA I've ever had by a decent margin, as I prefer the tropical fruit smells over piney or dank smells.

T - The grapefruit and tangerine from the smell hits first balanced with a perfect amount of hop bitterness and hop oil on the finish. Tastes vibrant, if that makes any sense. Delicious.

M - Smooth start with a dry tingly finish. I've had smoother IPAs (e.g., Abrasive) but I kind of like the change as it moves through across the tongue.

O - My personal favorite IPA, it's as if it's constructed to my personal preferences. I've had it several times, and at one point or another side by side with heady, elder, double sunshine , and abrasive and it's always been my favorite (though those other are also terrific).

4.16/5  rDev -9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a snifter. Thanks kflah41 for this whale!

Appearance - Pours a slightly hazy, somewhat dull orange body with a decent sized, 2 finger head that reduces very slowly and leaves thick, foamy lacing.

Smell - Nothing hugely pronounced or overwhelming.. I really like a blast of tropical aromas from a west coast IPA of this caliber, instead I have to strain to get slight notes of pine, citrus, some tropical mango and pineapple.

Taste - Upfront I get subtle piney flavors and semisweet malt, followed by a tropical kick of lemon-citrus, mango, and a resinous bitterness that sticks on the tongue for a while.

M - Easy going down, medium carbonation and body.

Did I enjoy Citra DIPA? Absolutely. Does it hold up to some of the other world-class DIPAs I've tried? Not really. I was going to do a side-by-side of this and Heady Topper, but it wasn't necessary because I knew which one would win. My advice is: if you're looking to try some of the best west coast style DIPAs on the planet, try some of the easier to acquire ones (Pliny, Heady, enjoy by, etc). Once you've tried those, seek this out.

Citra from Kern River Brewing Company