Citra | Kern River Brewing Company

CitraCitra

Kern River Brewing Company
kernriverbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

A double IPA that is hazy pale in color with a strong pungent aroma that comes from large amounts of Citra hops.

Added by Solomon420 on 02-13-2010

Reviews: 398 | Ratings: 1,742
4.72/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I'm really excited I got to try this beer. Thanks to my new buddy in California for sending this my way. Tons of citra hops (obviously) but the Amarillo hips are a welcome addition. Tastes to me like an imperial zombie dust.

746th Review on BA
Bottle to Tulip
22oz
No date on bottle, but released on Friday, drank Monday. Pretty damn fresh

Thanks to BA Richbeer for picking one up for me.

App- Wonderful bright orange with some yellow streaks radiating out with a big puffy pillow top two finger head. Falls gracefully with a ton of cling and lace. Huge lacing on this one.

Smell- Huge amounts of fruit on the nose. Just a ton of bright vibrant fruits. Orange, pineapple, tangerine. Light and floral and balanced. Everything I've wanted my DIPA to be.

Taste- For a DIPA this is a very light beer. It was balanced by the floral hops and juicy citrus and had only a small bitter note. The juicy citrus melds everything together to create a such tasty beer. I can se why the rush to get a bottle.

Mouth- Medium bodied and bordering on a bit light to me. A paired medium carbonation with a floral fruit and a slight bitter residual flavor.

Drink- Well 5th Anniversary DIPA was good even with 2 months of fade to it and it was a bit bigger and more bitter. This was better. The best DIPA I have had.

4.72/5  rDev +3.5%

Another bottle thaks to jodan.

22oz bottle poured into a Pint glass.

A - Pours a medium hazy orange with a creamy near white head. The head fades to the edges, but leaves good lacing on the glass.

S - Amazing. Strong citrus, pineapple, orange, lemon, mangos.

T - Citrusy and grassy resins.

D - Silky and smooth. Good carbonation and light body. Some bitterness.

O - This one is a real delight.

4.72/5  rDev +3.5%

As always, a BIG thanks to Kim for holding these for me. You Rock!

A - Pours a golden amber with a two finger off white. There is a good amount of head retention to be had here, and the lacing is excellent...

S - Citra hops blast you in the face from first whiff. Oranges, tangerines, grapefruit, mango, and peaches. Scent is very inviting...

T - As with the smell Citra is prominate, and it's delicious. Tangerines, grapefruit, oranges, mango, and some sweet malt. Ends on smooth bitter note with some; you guessed it, Citra...

M - Medium bodied. Carbonation is spot on here. Not to much or to little. Prickles the tongue, but doesn't overwhelm. Finishes dry...

O - Probably one of the, if not the best DIPA I have had the chance to experience. Kern River comes through with a world class brew here. Definitely lives up to the hype...

Cheers...

4.72/5  rDev +3.5%

A big thanks to Urbano7913 for this gem. I've really wanted to try this for a while now, so I couldn't resist opening one after the box arrived today. You know it has to be good if I feel compelled to write a review.

A - Pours a cloudy golden orange color that looks great on this lovely Spring day. A two finger, slightly off white head settles down to a nice layer of bubbles that hang around until the end.

S - It smells pretty close to what I expected from a beer named Citra. Almost like you're eating a fruit salad in a forest. A nice layer of pine to hold together the citrus and tropical fruit. The malt is there but the dry hopping really lets this one shine.

T - Taste definitely follows the nose. Mango, pineapple, orange peel, and pine all glide over the tongue. You know the malt is there, but they did a great job of keeping it in the background and letting the hops take over. Finishes a little dry, slightly bitter.

M - Medium body, nice carbonation, this is exactly the feel I look for in a DIPA. Each sips leaves you wanting another taste.

O - I was definitely impressed with this beer, great job KRBC!! I would have include this with the likes of my other favorite DIPAs. I wish it was a little easier to come by. It seemed like it was disappearing way too fast from my glass. Good thing I have one more...

4.72/5  rDev +3.5%

Pours a hazy deep orange with a fairly small head, but some pretty wicked sticky lacing is left when I swirl the brew around in my glass.

Aroma is naturally all citrus and some piney hops. I am getting a lot of pineapple and grapefruit in particular, and there is some resin there to back it up. This is definitely one of the top couple best beers I have ever smelled.

Taste is similar with sweet citrus fruits and a solid dose of piney resin bitterness that really doesn't set up until the finish. Hints of sweet malts are in the background for support, but the hops clearly steal the show.

Medium in body with a pretty sticky texture and just the right amount of prickly carbonation dances across my tongue with each sip. It's a good thing I don't live anywhere near Kern River, I'd be living there while this is on tap.

Date: 09/11/14
Type: 22oz. Bomber
Bottled: Fresh, a week or so old
Glass: Tulip

*Shared this at a very small tasting I had at 4th Avenue Pub in the Park Slope area of Brooklyn. Happy Birthday Lohman!!

Pours a hazy golden in color w/ a 1/2 finger of white head that leaves little to no lacing on the glass. Aromas of Mandarin orange, mango, pineapple, cat piss, and breadiness. The flavor was of big citrus and pineapple up front, giving way to light grapefruit, and closes w/ ever so mild resinous bitterness. Medium bodied and finishes dry. You could pretty much drink this beer all night long, but that would never happen because it is so difficult to acquire.

Overall, this beer is the truth and the best DIPA I have had from the West Coast, even over Pliny, The Elder that is. Now in my all-time top 5. Currently standing in fourth only behind in this order: Sosus, Double Sunshine, and Dinner. Of course, Heady Topper is 5th.

4.72/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bomber into an IPA glass at ~fridge temp.

Look: dark yellow with a really nice-looking 1cm foam head; good lacing.

Smell: lemongrass, lemon wedges, lemon rind, lemon pith... you get the idea.

Taste: whoa. Initial flavor is almost like chocolate covered cherries or something. Dark, rich, and sweet, without being too sweet. Citrus follows, but not bright or tangy; almost like a lemon crumb bar. Finish is lingering confectioners sugar, strawberry, lilac.

Feel: full side of medium, with great rounded carb and slightly dry.

Overall: I pretty much never give 5s, but the taste on this deserves it. It's got so much going on, but every flavor remains distinct and contributes to the whole. This is just ridiculously good.

4.73/5  rDev +3.7%

Reviewed from detailed notes. I had a lot to say about this incredible beer, but only typed a few sentences down.

A decent froth of white head settles firmly over unfiltered hues of orange and golden. A bit of spidery lacing clings to the glass for the first half of the session. The aromas are seriously juicy, with a great zing of different citrus profiles. Though in the aroma, I can't yet discern the specific fruits, the flavors tell it all. These citra hops deliver immense flavors of grapefruit, passionfruit, and lightly bitter orange zest, seemingly from the sweetest oranges available. The alcohol is there but only if you sit and chew for a while, which is hard to do because the beer is so drinkable. By which I mean, on a hot day, there is nothing better than a medium-bodied, crisply carbonated, and super flavorful DIPA. The drive up to Kernville is worth it for this one. I'm looking forward to the next release!

4.73/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Awesome beer, delicious, great taste, smelled great. Lucky to have this a few times. Probably the best west coast IPA I have ever had. Great hop taste.

4.74/5  rDev +3.9%

Huge thanks to glazeman for dropping this long-sought-after whale off at my house prior to the beginning of a 3 month stint without tasting sessions. Been waiting a long time for this one.

Appearance is a lovely four finger head that leaves a trail of sticky legs with an orange/red body. Smell is amazing - one of the best I've ever smelled for a DIPA. I get harsh Christmas tree piney hops throughout with some citrus goodness in the middle. Taste is even better - a creamy orange/tangerine/mango citrus throughout with a harsh piney hops in the finish, almost the opposite of the smell. Also really sweet malts throughout that complement the hops to perfection. The hops are so fresh and juicy. Really outstanding.

This one was something special, and sadly, is something that I probably won't get to try again. One of the best DIPAs, if not THE best DIPA, I've ever had. Wait - the best. There. Thanks, buddy.

Poured into a snifter.

4.0 A: Hazy dark orange color. Two fingers of thick, creamy off-white head. Good retention and plenty of spotty lacing.

5.0 S: Big hop explosion like a fresh Hopslam, but without the malty backbone. Absolutely tons and tons of orange, apricot, candied mango, grapefruit and a host of other tropical fruits. Slightly yeasty, and you can tell the malts are there, but they get lost in the wonderful hops.

4.5 T: Again, the hops deliver. Grapefruit and pine take over in the taste. Moderate, but soft bitterness. Lots of orange, peach, and tropical fruit. Yeasty again, but barely noticeable compared to the other flavors. Malts give a touch of sweetness to balance and not much else.

5.0 M: Heavier medium body, not the shitty watery like many west coast IPAs. This is just how I like my DIPAs. Wonderfully creamy and a bit chewy.

5.0 D: I wasn't sure if this would live up to the hype, but I was pleasantly surprised. This is definitely an elite DIPA. I just wish it was a bit easier for me to get. No flaws and lots of great qualities.

4.74/5  rDev +3.9%

Big thanks to mikul93 for this beer which becomes my very first review.
Huge tropical fruit on the nose to start with. Pouring into Spigelau IPA glass, Citra is a hazy sunset orange. Stunning color in the glass. The taste is more subdued than than the aroma, but not in detractory manner. Lots of fruit flavors and a noticeable maltiness give it a nice balanced taste. I don't notice any bitterness. I am really thrilled to have gotten my hands on such a fine beer and hope to try it again in the future.

4.74/5  rDev +3.9%

Been hearing good things about the citra, and now I have a growler to share thanks to Marisatheyounger, your the woman.

Burnt orange all around, the color is glowing with mostly orange maybe a shade of amber mixed with touches of slight copper. Pouring this, I get a inch of thickish white foam that stays and somewhat sticks. Pokadot lacing and some stripes around the glass.

This sure smells like citrus. Once all is said and done this smells like a superfecta of citrus with just the tiniest backing of malt to back that up. I get a shitload of papaya. Tropics, pineapple, mango etc. You guys and gals know the deal, west coast hoppy delight!!

Yep, Citra delivers in a big way without being huge, ya dig. It's like a overload in a small compartment. A big blast of that raw tropic treatment, mango, papaya, the works really. I get alot of squeezed orange with zest. Fruity than slighty malty without all that east coast overdo. Malt done right, not in your face, but there, to even the playing field. You just have to try it, to understand.

I am really digging the feel on this CITRA. It finishes so clean that going for another gulp afterwards is totally doable. Not the most bitter DIPA out there, in fact the bitter does not last into the aftertaste. One of the cleanest and smooth finishes I have ever had in a double, no fooling, no bias as well.. Body is a step above medium with adaquate carb based on look and feel.

Well, all in all, CITRA DIPA is a winner and deserves the acolades. The finish delivers not to mention the start, and well the whole damn thing rocks IMO. I could drink a whole growler of this if the time was right. I dont think I can say that with PTE or the like, this is just simple drinking with a BANG!!!

4.74/5  rDev +3.9%

A - Pours a slightly hazy golden-copper color with a finger of frothy white head atop. The head fades down slowly leaving behind some nice lacing.

S - Aroma is bursting with lots of citrus hops. Lots of pineapple, orange, and mango here. There is also just enough sweet caramel malt in the background to balance.

T - Starts off with lot of citrus hops with again, lots of pineapple, orange, and mango flavors. There is also some nice bitterness in the background. Through the middle, the hops just keep on building with the bitterness and there is just enough sweet caramel malts to balance. The finish is a mix of citrus hops and bitterness with again a nice balance of caramel malts that linger for quite some time.

M - Medium-plus bodied with moderate carbonation. The beer feels very smooth with some nice dryness from all the hop flavor and bitterness.

D - Very drinkable. The hop flavor is quite strong throughout, but the malt and the body really keep up very nicely to create a strongly hopped, but balanced beer.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Got a bomber of this brew from a trade. Big thanks for that! Love those DIPA's. Let's see how this measures up!

Appearance: Pours a light-golden, not so pale coloring. Frothy, white head of about an inch thick and provides impressive lacing all the way down. Big thumbs up that gives this a perfect 5

Smell: Sweet honey, Explosive hop aromas are strongly noticed in the first few checks of the aroma. Pineapple, Lemon, almost lime-like and passion fruit are totally breaking through. Another check also reveals some agave-like syrup. However, light.

Taste: First few sips reveal a hop-explosion. Pineapple, pine, grapefruit and lemon zest all come together to bring forth a palate overload. Some bitterness, but it all comes to perfect balance. Some light, malt sweetness also comes into play, more on the back burner. Some orange or naval zest comes into play. Finishes about the same, all the way through. Perfect hop balance.

Feel: Medium body, buttery finish. Delicious and everything comes to balance in it's own perfect way. Medium carbonation. Very crisp.

Overall: Coming into this brew, I was excited and ready and actually prepared this at the perfect serving temperature, and boy was it worth it! Instantly, my palate was pushed to the limit and up against the wall for hoppiness explosion. From start to finish, this brew did not disappoint. Everything was in balance and together. Next time I come across this, I will dive on it and would recommend to anyone in their right mind! Cheers!

4.75/5  rDev +4.2%

Hazy yellow orange color with fluffy white head with excellent retention and fine-bubbled lacing; tiny bubbles. Nose jumps out hoppy tones of pine and ivy.The flavor is very hop forward without being really bitter or sweet. Very soft and smooth with excellent drinkability. Lots of tropical fruit and pine flavors with a touch of malt. Very drinkable DIPA.

4.75/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured from a 22 oz into HF oversized wine glass 1/17/2012.

A- Beautiful golden orange with a 2 finger white head. Large tight bubbles cling to the sides of the glass. The beer is semi transparent with some alcohol legs. Really nice classic Dipa apperance.

S- Big pungent citrus and tropical fruit aroma. Ripe mango, pineapple, apricot, peach are the front runners followed by some bready malts and a little touch of alcohol. One of the best smelling beers I have had.

T- Great tasting beer, the aroma is backed up by the big sweet balanced taste. Hop bitterness comes through at the beginning followed by the bready malts and then the big sweet juicy ripe fruit. Great intense tropical citrus taste with a silky smooth finish. Wonderfully balanced and really drinkable.

M- Great mouthfeel smooth creamy nice carbonation forthe style.

O- Amazing beer, very impressive sweet fruit with a nice bready malt back bone to balance the citra an amarillo hops. Very smooth easy drinking beer with a big tropical taste and aroma that i love. Very well thought out and well made beer. Kern River Citra Dipa find it, enjoy it and then find it and enjoy it again. This one lives up to the hype.

4.75/5  rDev +4.2%

Thanks to johndoe8 for providing this extraordinary beer, a great trader. Poured into a Sweetwater pint glass.

A~ Hazy medium orange/burnt glow color with a two finger off-white head formed and receded to about a half inch with good retention. Excellent lacing the entire pour.

S~ The Grapefruit and floral are heavy up front. Fresh fruits of all variety along with some pine and sweetness compliment the complex aroma and keep you diving into this sweet nectar. The hops are fresh, wonderful smell.

T~ Bang! Juicy hops and sweet floral notes are very big. Grapefruit and orange are the dominant the beer throughout, with a hint of a malt afterthought.

M~ Medium to light. Fresh feeling.

O~ This is my new favorite Double IPA, I cannot think of a beer with more drinkability. The beer is so good, I found myself having to slow down os I could finish the review. Beer this fresh and floral is what makes me like craft beer. This is a 10 out of 10 in my book!

4.75/5  rDev +4.2%

Updated review. After trying a fresh bottle, I realized my original review was of an older bottle. The hops were much more prevalent. Great flavor, great smell. I now understand the appeal of this beer completely. Overall a great beer that fully lived up to my expectations with the fresh bottle.

---
Original review of the older bottle:

Poured into a Dogfish Head Signature

A - Slightly hazy burnt orange/copper color. A nice white head that lingers for awhile, with a very faint lacing.

S - Lots of citrus going on here. Also some peach smells which was very unexpected.

T - I was a bit disappointed here. I was expecting a lot after talking with some other BAs about this beer. After recently drinking some Pliny, Hopslam, and Heady Topper, it was hard not comparing here. I felt that the hops were a bit muted compared to the others. It is nicely balanced, but I feel like it needed more. Maybe its an older bottle as there is no date on it?

M - Medium body that is smooth going down.

O - I can see the appeal here. There is a lot of potential, and it is a solid beer. I just feel that is didn't quite live up to my expectations. I really wonder how old this bottle was since I didn't purchase it in a store myself.

4.77/5  rDev +4.6%

Growler received in trade with mrbubbler. I've been lucky getting some of my larger wants lately and this is one of the biggest - big thanks for the opportunity to try this one. Poured into a Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a yeasty hazed slightly dirty golden tinted orange. A finger of white foam briefly lingers before falling to a thick, tight bubbled collar with uneven islands on the surface. Nice sticky lacing down the sides of the glass.

S - Smells just like a freshly peeled grapefruit. Really can't think of anything else to say about this. The citrus is just huge - not at all complex, but I do love a good glass of grapefruit juice, so this is all good with me.

T - As expected from the aroma, grapefruit is high in intensity and right in your face. Flavor definitely has a bit more complexity than the aroma. Sitting beside the grapefruit is some nice pine...thick and resiny. Pineapple, some sweaty peaches and tropical fruits are in here too and complement the huge citrus component. Bitterness is medium to high but the wonderful citrus seems to mask its intensity a bit to give a well rounded (not balanced tho) flavor. Malt is hardly to not at all detectable. This is a hop lover's fantasy beer.

M - A bit on the lighter side of medium bodied, which is a bit of a surprise, but not an unpleasant one. Carbonation is medium which seems just about right...a touch prickly on the tip of the tongue but settles to a light tingle with a touch of creaminess. Very resiny and a bit sticky feeling.

D - This truly is a great west coast variety DIPA. The alcohol is really totally unnoticeable, even at 8.0%...it is hidden really well...kinda scary. Tons and tons of citrus and pine flavors...enough to satisfy any hop lover. Ample bitterness although not in a palate busting way. This is definitely a beer that needs to be enjoyed fresh. The hops really shine here...it would be a shame to let a beer like this fade with any age on it. Definitely a winner - I'd easily call this one of the best out there.

4.77/5  rDev +4.6%

Tried on April 14, 2010. Growler shared by Mike. Thanks Mike!! Pours orange with white head. Aroma is citrus and pine. Medium mouthfeel. Flavor is lip smack puckering, tart, juicy, grapefruit rind, and finishes with a touch of tart pineapple. This was my first brew that I know of that uses Citra hops. Great stuff. Thanks Mike!!

4.77/5  rDev +4.6%

I could smell the Citra all the way in Orange County as a keg was tapped at 38 Degrees in Alhambra. Served in a large snifter, on to the beer:

You can call this faded orange colored beer magnificent, and it's not just about the lovely white rings the foam leaves sticking to the glass. It is about how the Citra hops are skillfully used in this beer. The nose demonstates this with massive fresh citrus and tropical aromas, like passionfruit, pineapple, mango, and orange. Simply vibrant and alive.

There's little to frown about in the taste unless you're looking for just a tiny more intensity from those little green flowers. It's balanced, but showcases the Citra hops. Sweeter citrus and tropical fruits are highlights in this reel, and if that doesn't make it, the oily mouthfeel and buried 8% ABV, along with the pleasant aftertaste of sweet grapefruit and a snap of resin will. Extremely easy to drink and enjoyable too; forget the fancy glassware, throw this in a one liter mug.

I have seen the future, and you can catch a glimpse of the future in this beer. One could argue that this is "futuristic Pliny". Funny what playing with different hop breeds and creating a new one can do. Whoever said genetically modifying crops is bad doesn't understand how biology works, let alone had a taste of this nectar.

4.77/5  rDev +4.6%

Big thanks to Deuane for sharing this growler!

A-Pours a hazy golden apricot with a generous amount of fluffy white head and great sticky lacing.

S-Huge aroma of citrus hops. Lots of grapefruit, some pineapple, even some peach with a hint of pine as well. A nice malt presence is detectable as well.

T-Sweet, juicy citric hop goodness in the front with a solid malt backbone throughout. This one closes with delicious resinous notes. Wow!

M-Medium bodied, good long lingering hop bitterness.

D-Oh, how I love citra hops! Especially when used to such brilliant effect. More please...

HV

4.77/5  rDev +4.6%

Thanks to Richard for sending me a 22 oz bottle. Wish I could've saved this to try along side fresh Heady Topper and Ephraim next week, but promised I'd consume immediately upon receipt. Bummer :).

Pours light golden copper with an extremely retentive, creamy head. Thick sheets of lacing. Overwhelming, intense aroma of fruit; mango, pineapple, peach and orange fairly sweet, light floral hops and a strong amount of malt present as well. Flavor starts off smooth, sweet and balanced. Pineapple and mango dominate as the citra hop flourishes with a smoother and stronger malt body than expected. Finish is dry, but not excessively bitter with a slightly more floral hop taste. Only knock on this sample is the mouthfeel which is slightly thinner than expected and watery in the finish. Otherwise, exceptional and happy to finally try a proper sample.

Citra from Kern River Brewing Company