Citra | Kern River Brewing Company

CitraCitra

Kern River Brewing Company
kernriverbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

A double IPA that is hazy pale in color with a strong pungent aroma that comes from large amounts of Citra hops.

Added by Solomon420 on 02-13-2010

Reviews: 386 | Ratings: 1,673
4.08/5  rDev -10.7%

Growler. Courtesy of maltzilla. Poured into a tulip glass a slightly cloudy orange amber color with a slightly off white head head that laces nicely as it settles. Aroma is that of tropical fruit like mango mixed with citrus. Malty start gives way to a very strong hop profile that lingers on and has nice flavors of citrus and fruit. Nicely done and well blended.

4.59/5  rDev +0.4%

Got this growler thanks to route66pubs. Thanks a ton, man! Shared with my roomate and another BA on Christmas day. Served into my town hall snifter:

A - Dark amber and slightly brownish with golden tints throughout. Pour reveals a fluffy white crisp head that turns into a nice foam ring around the edges and murky cloudy foam in the middle. Lacing retention is very good.

S - Awesome! Nice citra smells. Dank stank that is a bit musty. Pine and bitterness. Very good.

T - Nice citrus tones and hoppyness. Not as bitter as I was expecting. Tastes a bit bready and malty. Pretty damn good, but I bet it is just awesome on-tap.

M - Nice and smooth. Crisp and refreshing. Pretty carbonated and a bit thicker. Nice.

D - Way too easy for 8%. I'm really happy to have had the opportunity to try this elusive brew. I'm really glad to drink this beer but I'm thinking that it would be just a bit better on-tap. Thanks again, Scott! Merry Christmas!

4.42/5  rDev -3.3%

Thanks to bu11zeye for sharing this growler.

The beer pours a golden color with a white head. The aroma definitely screams Double IPA. I get a lot of resiny hops, but there is also quite a bit of orange citrus mixed in. I don't get much, if any malt in the aroma.

The flavor is a hop explosion. The first hops that I get are resiny and piney, but then the fruit comes in. I get a ton of different fruit flavors. Among them are pineapples, oranges and mangos. I also get some biscuit malt mixed in to keep the bitterness at a low to medium level.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Excellent.

4.35/5  rDev -4.8%

2010 release poured on-tap at the brewery in Kernville into a pint glass. The beer has a bright yello/gold color to it, with no head. The beer has a citrus accent to the pine and hops smells of their regular IPA. On tasting, you get a very instant flavor of grapefruit, with the hops and floral flavors of their flagship IPA underneath for balance. There is a bit of a sour and bitter aftertaste, but again remains balanced. Despite the finish, the beer is still pretty easy to drink. Decent brew.

EDIT: Original scoring from above review was A:4, S:4, T:4, M:3.5, D:3.5 for a total score of B+/3.9. The current grade of my review is based on the review below of this year's release.

Tasted again, during the release weekend 2011, the beer was poured on-tap at Kern River Brewing Company into a pint glass. The beer is a hazy, bright orange-gold coloring with a thin film of head. Heavy nose of orange and lemon zest, hops, and basil. Heavy hops flavor all over the tongue, bitter and slightly sour. Citrus sweet flavors balance well, and don't overpower. The beer is smooth and robust in mouth, with heavy hop aftertaste. The finish is dry, and puckers the mouth, begging for a follow-up drink. Very enjoyable and pleasant to drink, it is delicious!

4.5/5  rDev -1.5%

I saw Naja's Place posting on facebook that they got Citra in on tap, so I made it over there to get me some before it all ran out.

The appearance is orangey-golden. Looks freaking delicious. The head is nice but quickly dies off, as is usual with most (D)IPAs. The smell is absolutely heavenly. Whereas sometimes Pliny smells like a pine tree, Citra has more of a --well-- citrusy aroma...and more flowery. It's definitely more complex.

Taste is amazing. The taste matches the smell: citrusy and flowery. The nice thing is the mouthfeel and drinkability. Mouthfeel is very light and easy to drink. I could easily have had another one of these.

In the DIPA land where Pliny is king, Citra is #2 and a near worthy contender. Even though their both DIPAs, they have subtle differences that really make them stand apart. It'd be interesting to taste the two side by side in a blind taste test. I'm glad to have experienced this and would not hesitate to buy it again. Cheers!

4.52/5  rDev -1.1%

On tap at 38 degrees in Alhambra,CA. Beautiful example of what a IPA should be. Perfectly balanced taste between the malt and citra hops. Citrus notes blow at you followed by the dryness but that's expected of this style. Nice head retention and very very drinkable. Am glad to have been able to sample this fine beer.

Re-review off a growler on 12/11/10. This is much more bitter and less aromatic than previous batches. Still good, but much less drinkable, and the scores have been adjusted. I understand batch variation happens, but this is a pretty big swing.

Main changes:

S: Huge dropoff in aromatics. Citrus is still present, but it's less pungent, with more 'straight' citrus and less tropical variety.

T: As in the nose, less tropical focus. Still more tangerine, pineapple, apricot than the nose would suggest. But it is heavily grapefruit dominated, and the bittering hops have been played up more.

M: More of a lingering bitterness than previous batches.

D: I drank a couple of glasses, but my enthusiasm waned after the first one. It was mostly enjoyment of the memory than the beer.

Dial in your recipes, KRBC. This is not your best batch.

~~~

Original review (A+ / 4.8)

Chilled growler into a glass. Generously shared by chswimmer. Thanks, Craig.

It should be noted that the first time Craig shared this, I voluntarily skipped the tasting. I wasn't convinced by the hype, even as I received numerous annoying texts over the night telling me how awesome it was.

A: Pours a cloudy orange body, with 3 fingers of light cream head. To say this thing is still well-carbed is an understatement. I'm only deducting points for the lack of clarity here, but I don't genuinely feel that's a serious detriment to the beer.

S: CCC

III

TTT

RRR

UUU

SSS

!!!

Grapefruit, pineapple, tangerine, apricot, perfume. I see someone scribbled "fuckin' beautiful" on my notes -- probably largadeer. I agree.

T: Dry, incredibly clean citrus flavors. It reminds me of the pops I'd make out of frozen orange juice as a kid, with overtones of grapefruit, pineapple, tangerines, apricot, mango, and some sugar cookie sweetness. This is one of the fruitiest IPAs I have ever had, and in 3 glasses of it all I could focus on was the wonderful melange of citrus.

M: Medium bodied. It's not viscous. Dry and smooth, just incredibly silky. I'm really blown away. It's a little unsatisfying by lacking viscosity, but I also don't need a heavy beer all the time.

D: This beer is amazing. I am not prone to giving high scores, and for a while I was considering violating my own standards and giving this all 5s. If it weren't for the cloudy appearance, this would be an across-the-board perfect beer. Its affordable price is just a plus. I'd drink the s*** out of this thing if I lived locally. Seek this out.

4.77/5  rDev +4.4%

I could smell the Citra all the way in Orange County as a keg was tapped at 38 Degrees in Alhambra. Served in a large snifter, on to the beer:

You can call this faded orange colored beer magnificent, and it's not just about the lovely white rings the foam leaves sticking to the glass. It is about how the Citra hops are skillfully used in this beer. The nose demonstates this with massive fresh citrus and tropical aromas, like passionfruit, pineapple, mango, and orange. Simply vibrant and alive.

There's little to frown about in the taste unless you're looking for just a tiny more intensity from those little green flowers. It's balanced, but showcases the Citra hops. Sweeter citrus and tropical fruits are highlights in this reel, and if that doesn't make it, the oily mouthfeel and buried 8% ABV, along with the pleasant aftertaste of sweet grapefruit and a snap of resin will. Extremely easy to drink and enjoyable too; forget the fancy glassware, throw this in a one liter mug.

I have seen the future, and you can catch a glimpse of the future in this beer. One could argue that this is "futuristic Pliny". Funny what playing with different hop breeds and creating a new one can do. Whoever said genetically modifying crops is bad doesn't understand how biology works, let alone had a taste of this nectar.

4.62/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a freshly opened growler -- bottled 4 days ago -- into a tulip. Thanks to marisatheyounger for sending it.

Appearance: Citra pours a pleasant orange tangerine color, a bit hazy with a fluffy white head that levels off at 3cm that retains nicely and leaves a ton of lacing all over the glass.

Smell: A ton of citra hops, very nice. Peach, apricot, mango, passion fruit, grapefruit, and orange blossoms as well.

Taste: The malt up front provides a bit of sweetness and really just lets the hops shine through. As the aroma would suggest, there is a ton of juicy citrus here. Passion fruit, mango, grapefruit, with some floral notes as well. Finishes lightly bitter.

Mouthfeel: That wonderful well-crafted creamy IPA feel. Fuller than medium carbonation, juicy, a bit sticky at the end, all wrapped in a medium body.

Drinkability: I feel really fortunate that I was able to try this one out. Great, straight forward flavor, a bucket of hops, and a great feel make this one I would like to have more often.

4.54/5  rDev -0.7%

On-tap at Beachwood BBQ, glad to see this finally in the Southland,

A: Pours a lightly hazy orange with a medium full white head. Soapy, thick lace, good head retention.

S: Tropical fruit and citrus salad. Mango, lemons, orange, a delight.

T: Lemon and mandarin orange heavy, mango, pineapple. For me like a Sculpin on steroids, very tasty. Noticable malt profile for a West Coast DIPA, comes in at the end, but the flavour and enjoyment is all about the hops.

M: Firm, big mouthfeel, full-bodied, upfront carbonation. Dripping with hop resin.

D: A fantastic beer, with the hype, I expected this to be a 5 flavourwise, it's not that good, but it was definitely worth the $6 pint.

4.95/5  rDev +8.3%

Big thanks to Jose for getting this to me. I love the tropical fruit like hoppiness I got from other Citra hopped beers I've had so I've really been looking forward to this one. Opened up the growler to share with my Fiance as we put up the Christmas tree.

Poured from a growler into my Southern Tier tulip. It poured kind of a murky, pale orange color in the glass. It started out with a big, active, frothy, white head to it and lasted pretty well into drinking it. The head eventually retreated to the edges of the glass, where it left some fantastic, thick lacing on the sides. Pretty much a perfect looking DIPA, I can't think of anything more I could ask of it.

The aroma has the biggest tropical and fruity hop profile to it I've ever encountered. Lots of pineapple, mango, orange and peach really shine through. It has a bit of a tropical punch like flavor coming through. Awesome aroma, I love it.

The taste follows the aroma with lots opf tropical and fruity flavors. more of the peachy, pineapple, orange and mango are present throughout the flavor. Midway I get more of a green, herbal like, fresh hoppiness to it as well. It leans a bit on the sweet side but finishes wit ha slight bitterness. The sweetness really works well for it too and compliments the citra hop nicely. Just a touch of alcohol comes through in the finish. Fantastic tasting beer.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied and carbonation is moderate and a bit sharp. Drinkability for me is excellent. I love tropical fruit like hoppiness in beers and this one shows it off perfectly. This is probably my new favorite hoppy beer. Loved every part of it and I can only hope something similar to this comes to my market soon. I think this might be a new highest scoring beer for me, and it's definitely a new favorite. It was pretty much perfect in all categories for the style and my taste.

4.8/5  rDev +5%

on tap at toronado SD for SDBW - kern river night

-gold with some fogginess to it. white colored tall head, with some plus retention

-big grapefruit smell off the bat. some orange and weed funk to it. not overbearing, but it is long lasting which is nice

-very subtle hop taste for a X2 IPA. also, this beer is crazy balanced. the orange is really strong and it also has a peach finishing flavor to it. the hop is all in the flavor as it is not really bitter

-on the thick end. extremely smooth

-drinks super easy...i love this beer. was arguably the best beer i tasted at SDBW and there was a lot of good ones. so glad i had a chance to drink some

4.92/5  rDev +7.7%

Drove over 600 miles to get a couple growlers of this bad boy..

A: pours a dark orange with a hazy body.. Nice bright white head with tiny bubbles..

S: WOW!! The aroma is so captivating. Loads of ripe citrus aromas (orange, grapefruit, pineapple).. Nice pine touch with a small dose of caRamel sweetness.. Words honestly can't describe..

T: another WOW!! Again you get hit with the beautiful citrus flavors.. Very ripe & fresh & so damn delicious.. Orange, mango, pineapple, grapefruit... Towards the finish pine is present along with a small amount of sweet malt.. Almost no alcohol detection.. Pretty much straight up hops but no harsh bitter finish..

MF: the mouthfeel is another great quality of this brew.. Medium bodied with a perfect carbonation level.. It sits in the mouth so nicely.. Very nice texture..

D: all day everyday..nuff said

4.3/5  rDev -5.9%

APPEARANCE:
On tap at Downtown Johnny Browns. Pours a cloudy orange color with big white head. The lacing is insane.
AROMA:
Huge mango and passion fruit smells more like juice than beer
FLAVOR:
Orange and sugar cookies to start, then candied orange peel, the tropical flavors to finish.
MOUTHFEEL:
Medium body but finishes a bit thin. That is my biggest complaint.
DRINKABILITY:
Extremely drinkable but this tastes more like a soda than beer. I find it hard to believe that there is any alcohol in there.

4.72/5  rDev +3.3%

Pours a hazy deep orange with a fairly small head, but some pretty wicked sticky lacing is left when I swirl the brew around in my glass.

Aroma is naturally all citrus and some piney hops. I am getting a lot of pineapple and grapefruit in particular, and there is some resin there to back it up. This is definitely one of the top couple best beers I have ever smelled.

Taste is similar with sweet citrus fruits and a solid dose of piney resin bitterness that really doesn't set up until the finish. Hints of sweet malts are in the background for support, but the hops clearly steal the show.

Medium in body with a pretty sticky texture and just the right amount of prickly carbonation dances across my tongue with each sip. It's a good thing I don't live anywhere near Kern River, I'd be living there while this is on tap.

4.97/5  rDev +8.8%

Thanks to ramnuts, I was fortunate enough to try this exceptional DIPA.

Appearance: It is cloudy and light yellow with a foamy white head.
Smell: I smell sweet hops, lemons, orange and some pineapple.
Taste: Wonderful sweet citrus taste, full of oranges, lemons, and finishing off with a little grapefruit. This is hoppy, citrus, sweet... Oh hell, It's an orgasm in a glass.
Mouthfeel: Lots of carbonation, dry and finishes clean.
Drinkability: Amazing! Absolutely my favorite DIPA yet.

Reviewed from notes taken on my BlackBerry Saturday 11-13-10. I think it was Monday or Tuesday last week when I got a BM from the always generous ramnuts simply titled "Citra". In the BM he went onto explain that he had a growler headed his way from arbitrator and wanted to share it! So a big thanks goes out to ramnuts for giving me the chance to try this improbable want and thanks to arbitrator for directing some of this CA rarity up here to North West.

The pour is yellow gold in body with a fluffy ecru head that recedes to a nice complete cap. The copious lacing looks nice. A perfect score is due!

Sweet-sweet honey tangelos sums up this aroma nicely! Pineapple comes through as well. This smells so freaking good I just hope the taste comes close.

The first sip is just glorious. The taste really is every bit as good as the smell. Bitter lemon, navel zest, and grapefruit meat are all the fantastic flavors. Citrus comes through in spades and can't get ANY better.

Thinner than expected and a highly carbonated mouthfeel. This leaves a lightly sticky residue on my lips and finishes clean. Why can't more DIPA's finish this crisp?

My notes are pretty simple on the matter of drinkability. "Super drinkable!" That's all I got. 'Nuff said, end of story, best beer EVER!

4.82/5  rDev +5.5%

Scored a growler of this thanks to a very generous BA in a trade. Pours a hazy orange with a brilliantly forming two finger off white head with great retention and lacing. gorgeous pour. The smell is absurd. It is seriously like heaven. I have given 5's before for aroma. I have never smelled anything like this. Grapefruit, peach, lemon, orange, passion fruit, pineapple, pine, and pure deliciousness. I want to smell this all day long. Seriously.

Taste is great as well. Orange, Peach, grapefruit, lemon, and a touch of pineapple, alcohol is barely noticeable. Not much pine, which is surprising coming from the left coast. The citrus here is seriously outrageous. It tastes like a grapefruit and a tangerine had wild porn star sex and created the most fabulous love baby ever. With a brew like this, docking points in any attribute is simply nitpicking. This could very well be my favorite beer. I'd say this and Alpine Nelson are neck-in-neck. Wildly good.

4.65/5  rDev +1.8%

Really excited for this growler!

A - pours a hazy orange amber with a pillowy white head that recedes but never goes away. my pint glass is covered in webbing.

S - FRESH! Oily hops, oranges, peach, light caramel malt, and more delicious grapefruit.

T - Carbonated oily grapefruit juice. It's fresh and full of sweet fruit courtesy of it's namesake hop. Did I say fresh hops yet? I <3 you citra.

M/D - Even this growler after only a few hours in the fridge has great body and carbonation. I will have no problem killing this growler sans a pint for my roommate. The overall balance of fruit hops to light malt with a very well masked abv makes this one of my favorite DIPAs.

4.87/5  rDev +6.6%

I put this one up with Pliny. A magnificent beer that smells of orange, pine, tangelo - enough with the descriptive words. If you know WCIPA's, then this is everything that you've dreamed.

An amazing taste. Phenomenal. In the simplest terms and the most convenient definitions - this is a flagship DIPA. One of those "wow" beers that comes along once, maybe twice a year.

EDIT: Also had in bottle ('11) and still an amazing beer. A+

4.67/5  rDev +2.2%

On tap at Toronado's San Diego. Served in a pint glass.

A: Served with a .5 finger foamy and frothy white head with great retention. Beer is a cloudy grapefruit. Lacing is thick and ruler-like and with great legs from level to level. Good stick too.

S: Nose is intensly aromatic citrus and cascade hops. Pine in the back with big, bold, grapefruit and citrus in the front. Cane sugar sweetness rounds out a wonderful aroma.

T: Opens rather sweet. Detectable pineapple, grapefruit, and citrus. Piney hop character in the back serves as a great level of balance towards the middle. Resiny hop bitterness at the end but well complemented by the fruit that moves into the back. Finish is resiny hop character that sticks in the aftertaste.

M: Medium bodied and moderately carbonated. Very smooth, balanced, and creamy overall. Goes down very easily. The abv is fantastically hidden. Finish is messy with an aftertaste that lingers.

D: This beer is the real deal, hype and all. The best DIPA that I've had to date by a good margin. Incredible balance and flavor separation and unbelievably drinkable. Seek it out, trade for it, whatever you have to do, get it. Absolutely fantastic!

4.55/5  rDev -0.4%

Big thanks to the KRBC for bringing a growler and a keg to the Pour House in Paso Robles for the FW14 after party.

A - Pours a beautiful light golden, apricot color. About 2 finder foamy head that disappears a bit and leaves some nice lacing.

S - just a nose full of citrus notes and hops. Really get a lot of grapefruit and oranges, some tangerines as well.

T - Citrus and hops, but man is this a balanced DIPA. At no time does it taste like a 8% DIPA. Pine, citrus, hops, all very very refreshing.

M - Decent carbonation, medium body, with a nce little tang to it.

D - off the chain. I could sit on a lawn chair in the So Cal heat and just drink this all day long. It is unbelievably drinkable for a DIPA.

4.47/5  rDev -2.2%

A big thanks goes out to einhorn and PasoPourHouse for making this available to all of the BAs at the Firestone 14 After Party at The Pour House in Paso Robles, CA. Shawn, thanks again for hosting this event!

12oz. pour into a tulip.

Appearance: Cloudy orange-banana body with a sticky, white crown. Thin streams of carbonation can be seen rising along the edges. Tons of lacing! While I'm not a big fan of the opaque body, this looks great otherwise.

Smell: Big-time orange and tangerine, followed by a touch of pine. Very sweet and citrus-y. Gorgeous display of Citra hops!

Taste: Orange, lemon, and tangerine once again dominate. Herbal and dry pine components are also detectable. Deliciously fruity and sweet without a whole lot of bitterness. Beautiful!

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, moderately carbonated, and very balanced. Bitterness is low, especially for a west coast double IPA, but not surprising given the exclusive Citra hop bill. Very smooth.

Drinkability: While I'm not a huge fan of Citra hops, I can't imagine a beer that displays the attributes of Citra hops better. Delightfully sweet and citrus-y all the way through. Props to the guys at Kern River. This is impressive!

4.59/5  rDev +0.4%

Absolutely fantastic beer and among the best DIPAs that I've ever tried. I had a few glasses of this beer and was just blown away. I really didn't expect it to live up to the hype, but I was happily wrong on that score. It has easily the best Citra flavor in the 10 or so Citra IPAs I've tried so far. It was all very bright floral and tangerine notes. The beer is quite well made. Just enough light malt sweetness to carry the hops. Finishes mildly dry and refreshing. Little to no harshly bitter notes, just tons of incredible hops. The hop flavors seem fresh and interesting. There's practically none of the blandly bitter notes that drown out all of the delicacy in so many other (D)IPAs. Mouthfeel was light and fairly smooth for all of the hops. No booze presence. The beer looks good - a bright, hazy yellow-orange body with a good white head. This is a very easy beer to like and makes me want to make the long drive down to Kernville.

4.25/5  rDev -7%

Big thanks to alcstradamus for splitting this one at our tasting.

64oz growler poured into Chimay chalice.

A- Pours a nice apricot that has a good amount of haze to it. Minimal head but leaves a little bit of soapy lacing on the side of the glass.

S- Big bursts of hops, pine and citrus. Lots of tropical fruit. One of the more aromatic DIPA's I have run across. A little bit of a grassy note on the back end.

T- A lot of citrus and pineapple. A nice bitterness and a little bit of grass. A touch of sweetness comes in at the end and maybe even a little bit of honey to round it out.

M- Medium bodied with a very nice hop bite. Good carbonation and just a tad dry on the finish. Hop oil just coats the tongue.

D- The flavor never gets overpowering. This is a top notch DIPA. Great flavors and not too heavy makes this one great beer.

Citra from Kern River Brewing Company