Citra Double IPA | Kern River Brewing Company

Citra Double IPACitra Double IPA

Kern River Brewing Company
California, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Made with Citra and Amarillo hops.

Added by Solomon420 on 02-13-2010

Reviews: 382 | Ratings: 1,644

Kern River Citra DIPA
Got a hold of a three of these bottles from two different stores in the Kern River Citra Craze of 8/19/2011.

From 22 OZ Bomber into a tulip glass.
Appearance: Beautiful orange color with a minimal haze. The head was white and fluffy. Lacing was great.

Aroma: Hops and more hops. This beer smells of fresh cut peaches, pineapple, and mango, It’s wonderful!

Mouthfeel: Great carbonation with a medium body feel.

Taste: Insanely hoppy but not bitter! Tthe drinkability is amazing.

Overall: Worth the hype! I heard about this beer not long ago so I was lucky to get a hold of it while it lasted.

4.82/5  rDev +5.7%

I have been trying to get my hands on Citra for some time and I finally copped a bottle down the from my house.

Pours a very nice very clear amber hue with a fluffy off white head that had some great hang time. Definitely left some nice lacing on the glass the entire drink.

Aromas are just jumping out of the glass like crazy. There are piney notes, big tropical fruit like mango and pineapple and some citrus aromas as well. I have to say its perfect.

Taste again I have to say perfect. I have not had a more easyh to drink DIPA that packs this much flavor. Hops are in your face but not off-putting at all. Sweet upfront with bitterness all the way to the dry crisp end. There is nothing I don't like here.

Drinkability is perfect. Crisp and refreshing with full flavor, it's a win all the way. I need to get more of this while I can.

4.33/5  rDev -5%

Split a bomber with Walows. Been dying to try this for ages but our Kern River fishing trip/beer journey has yet to pan out...

I popped the cap and the aroma instantly jumped out of the bottle... Smelled incredible. (Ditto on the pineapple express. Good call!) The color is gorgeous as well, a deep gold and crystal clear.

But the taste disappointed a bit. Don't get me wrong, it's a tasty beer, but I suppose with such high expectations it's only natural to be let down, just a little. The drinkability is incredibly high... I don't like the bit of glycerin in the mouthfeel, but otherwise the alcohol is very, very well-hidden.

Overall, it's a great beer.

Thanks to DarthKostrizer for the growler share and Alucard4 for picking it up.

Nice crystal clear amber color with a very nice off white frothy head with excellent retention and little lacing.

Wow!! As the growler top is popped the amazing fresh hops are prolific. You can smell this amazing explosive nose just holding the beer away from your head. Wonderful floral and light citrus notes. A slight sweetness. Also kind of smells like really good weed. (pineapple express would be the perfect name for this)

Flavor is amazing as well. Excellent balance and transition from hop forward to a nice light mild malt sweetness.

Light bodied, very fresh and crisp. Nice carbonation.

Overall IMO this beer, for the style deserves no less than a 5. Hands down the best IPA I've ever had. Crushes PtE!! Amazing nose, flavor and balance and so easy to drink it's crazy. Simply a perfect DIPA.

4.95/5  rDev +8.6%

Growler shared with MrVonzipper

Look: Light orange/copper color with 1/2 head and good retention and some lacing

Smell: Amazing floral scent from the dry hopping. There are some wonderful fruits here as well. Pineapple and other island fruits

Taste: I feel like I just took an island hopping experience in Hawaii. The flavors are straight island fruits. Pineapple mango and banana

Mouthfeel: Medium body with medium carbonation and a dry finish

Overall: Very crisp clean and fruity DIPA. Very easy drinkability with amazing flavors but the best part of this beer is the nose. This is hands down the best DIPA I have ever had.

4.87/5  rDev +6.8%

First and foremost - a big thank you to Kyle the brewer for finally bottling this and making it a little more accessible for people to try what I consider my favorite overall beer I have ever had.

Appearance: This is one area where I think it is slightly different. The beer is a little more clear coming out of the bottle vs. a growler. A beautiful orange pretty clear with a white head that disappears pretty quick.

Smell: I love the way this beer smells. Its all tropical--pineapple,mango,peach,tangerines, and mandarin oranges. Has a little orange zest in the smell as well-- real strong on all tropical citrus notes. No real malt in the smell just pure hop bliss.

Taste: This is the most easy drinking double IPA you will ever have. When i first had this beer a year ago and change my initial thought was its decently bitter but now after having it numerous times I can say there is a nice malt backing to it to balance out all of those hops. In the front of the taste I get alot of oranges and tangerines followed by some slight pineapple on the finish. Definitely has some bitterness but it does seem pretty well balanced with a slight malt after taste. Pretty dry beer to me so it goes down really easy and quick for me. I could and have polished off a growler in a little over a hr and could not believe it was gone that quick. A easy drinker for me.

Mouthfeel: A little less carbonation than the draft version. It still has a nice mouthfeel but slightly less carbonation none the less.

Overall: I can't wait to get up to Kern for the next time Citra is available. Get a hold of me Kyle and I will just buy you a extra fermenter to keep this thing year around. I can't tell you how much I appreciate this beer. Wish it was closer to me. I have had so many of the IPA's and doubles and all the top tier one's and I can say this really lives up to the hype easily. I could pick this out of a line up blind folded with ease. Nothing compares. Keep up the great work Kyle. Can't to have some more of the 5th Anniversary beer this fall. Keep the great IPA's coming Kyle and I will keep drinking them.

4.12/5  rDev -9.6%

Growler shared with Stupac2.

A-Pours clear light amber with an inch of fluffy off white head.

S-I can smell this from across the room. Intense citra hop fruit explosion! Purees strawberries, bittersweet citrus skins, mango...making me drool.

T/M-Soft and full bodired, with light, supportive carbonation. Initial tropical fruit hop flavors recede into tasty marijuana earthiness. The finish is dry, with light mouth coating tannic earthy hoppiness.

O-Not sure how much this lives up to the insane hype surrounding it, but it is one of the better Citra-centric beers I've had. Uses the aromatic properties of the hop to its full potential.

4.92/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours a light gold. Actually kind of surprisingly light for a DIPA. The beer has a nice foamy head that sticks around. The aroma is pungent and hoppy. Tons of hops, no noticeable malt on the nose. The hops are citrusy and floral, there is some pineapple on the nose and just a hint of pine. The taste is pure hops but there is noticeable sweetness on the palette. This is actually less hop forward than I was expecting. The balance is good, not too sweet with a nice refreshing burst of hops.

The more I drink this down the more I love the hops. A nice, pleasant bitterness and a hop aroma that smells like what beer perfume would smell like it it were an awesome idea instead of a horrible one. I'd get this again, if only I could!

4.87/5  rDev +6.8%

Bomber split with my brother a day after the release.

Pours a glowing copper orange that is slightly see-through. You see very little carbonation climbing to the top. A nice 2 finger head is formed atop. Extremely tight bubbles that last for quite some time. Thin lacing is left behind, but there's a lot of it.

Smell is intoxicating. I love how simple this beer is. Just loaded to the brim with Citra hops. Nice tropical notes, but just ultra ripe Citra. You can smell it from a good 2 feet away. Absolutely incredible.

Taste follows the outstanding smell. Full of juicy tropical fruits followed by the even juicier Citra hops. I usually like complexities, but this is so one dimensional and I am absolutely blown away by it.

Mouthfeel is on the heavier side. Low carbonation with a creamy mouthfeel. Very nice.

When I had this on tap at the release I liked it, but didn't love it. Sitting down with the bottle though I am now a complete believer of the hype. This will be a hard DIPA to top, but I look forward to trying to find one that does. Well done KRBC.

4.45/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Chris for sharing this growler.

A - Orange-yellow-amber colored beer with a forthy white head that has really nice retention. Some good, sticky lace on the sides.

S - Citra, the hops we all crave now. Great tropical fruit, almost jammy, not any real bitterness, at least the resiny kind that you get from lots of DIPAs. Smells very nice, quite light.

T - Taste is really good, but really, this is almost all citra hops, not getting much of a malt backbone here at all. Almost juice like in its taste, with tropical citrus hops being the only thing I'm getting. Good stuff, but I want a bit more fuller flavor.

M - Medium bodied, good carbonation, quite smooth.

O - Really great beer, easy to get down, probably a great DIPA to introduce people to if they need to try DIPAs. Not my favorite by a long shot, as I like them to get slightly more bitter and have a little more malt backbone, but this is a great beer nontheless.

A: Lovely cloudy golden hue.

S: Orange peel oil.

T: Orange peel oil, pineapple, a solid citra hop profile that amalgamates harmoniously. Clean finish.

M: Medium thickness and sticky on the lips. Medium, but finer carbonation.

O: The best Double IPA I've ever had.

4.3/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Slightly hazy orange copper with a long lasting whitish head. Tons of lacing left throughout.

S - Big citrusy, lemony grapefruit aromas, light breadiness and subtle sweet malts. Light alcoholic smell as it warms, but it is not detracting.

F/M - Slightly sweet bready malts followed by tons of huge, citrusy, piney hops. Grapefruit and slightly resinous. Moderately firm bitterness with medium body and moderate carbonation.

O - Very nice IIPA, I could drink this all night long. Good thing the wife is driving :)

4.94/5  rDev +8.3%

A: cloudy unfiltered looking with a nice vibrant orange/gold hue

S: Amazing. Tropical notes with a strong underlying smell of citrus. i could smell this beer as it was set on the table. I could smell this for day...

T: Very similar to the smell, tropical fruit with a strong flavor of citrus. Very nice bitterness that is present but not overwhelming.

M: medium bodied with a good amount of resinous oils that coats the tongue.

O: Without a doubt my favorite double ipa. The smell alone is quite intoxicating.

3.75/5  rDev -17.8%

On tap in sample size at the 2011 Bistro DIPA Fest. Pours a hazy golf with a dense white froth. Malty brown sugar and candied lemon hops on the nose with a piney accent. Flavor is lemon zest with a light pale malt note. I appreciate the hop focus without a syrupy malt profile but it also is allowing a soapy astringent note to come through. Solid bitterness but not really up to DIPA standards. A good beer but I'm not buying the hype here.

4.72/5  rDev +3.5%

From notes 4/9/2010 - Had this on tap at O'Brien's in San Diego. It was cloudy, no chance of seeing through, the keg had just been tapped so that might've had to do with it... but the color was a nice burnt orange and the head was fairly meager. My rating for the appearance is on what I think it would be had it not been "O'Brienified." Their pours often do a bit of injustice to the beers appearance. The smell profile was very similar to blind pig but even more potent. Very citrusy. The flavor was similar as well but carried an even bigger mango presence than Blind Pig normally does. I perceived this as a fairly well attenuated beer, not a syrupy sweet mess. Very enjoyable.

4.62/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On-tap at Downtown Johnny Browns in San Diego. Poured into a Pint Glass.

A - Poured a beautiful orange-amber with a creamy white head that never fully dissipates.
S - Definitely smells like Citra hops! Huge tropical notes of pineapple, mandarin orange, peaches, and pine resin. Amazing!
T - Taste is spot-on with the nose, mostly tropical hop flavors with a nice caramel backbone and a strong, bitter finish.
M - Sticky, with a fairly full mouth-feel, medium body, and moderate carbonation. The 8% ABV is barely noticed.
O - Wonderful DIPA, and an excellent showcase for one of my favorite hop varietals.

4.92/5  rDev +7.9%

An outstanding example of a Double Indian Pale Ale

A: Straw colored, clean with medium fluffy white head

S: Very citrusy, leaning towards grapefruit

T: Hoppy, delicate, citrus prevails again

M: Fine carbonation, crisp, clean finish

O: This is one of the best beers that I have had the opportunity to try. Blows similar double/imperial IPAs out of the water.

3.48/5  rDev -23.7%

Been waiting for this one for a while. Thanks go out to mrbubbler for the opportunity.

A: Hazy orange color. The pour dropped a finger or so of pure white head that faded to a thin rim and left little lace.

A: The aroma is that of sweet pineapple, pine tar, and citrus. I actually get a little butter in the nose, which I hope is not a sign of off flavors.

T: The taste follows the nose, with notes of more pineapple, orange, and pine sap. The biscuit and caramel malt balance this well. I was afraid of this from the nose, but there is a distinct diacetyl taste. The buttery notes are not pleasant. If not for this, I believe this would be a good beer.

M: Creamy for a dipa. Medium to full body, light on the carbonation.

O: I was expecting an A+ brew, I got an B brew. Not bad, if it weren't for the diacetyl, I guess I got a bad batch. This is definately not on par with the world class brews such as Hopslam, in my opinon. I hope to get to try this again, and am chalking this review up to a bad batch. Skal.

4.12/5  rDev -9.6%

Thanks to Damian (Solomon420) for the trade

Pours a hazy amber with a finger or so of off white head which quickly laces away. Smells of pine tar pungency and wafts of orange oil, a little sweet pineapple on the finish and surprisingly.. a little alcohol glides through just at the very end. Taste follows the nose but more diminutive. Hop bitterness comes in on the finish and maintains a bitter aftertaste on the back of the palate. Medium bodied and mouth coating. leaves an oily slickness on the palate, light carbonation..

Overall a very solid DIPA.. well made and balanced, I will be seeking this one out whenever I can

4.8/5  rDev +5.3%

I had this at a growler share. thanks for sharing tjmodica! I never had heard of Kern River and was asked to try this since I'm a big hophead. Glad I didn't pass this one up.

I'm a big fan of Pliny and this one is up there. The citra hop is all about this DIPA. Nice grapefruit/pineapple aroma and taste. Great carbonation for being in a growler for over a week. Creamy head with a medium to light amber color.

I'll have to keep an eye for this beer the next time I'm in California.

4.77/5  rDev +4.6%

Tried on April 14, 2010. Growler shared by Mike. Thanks Mike!! Pours orange with white head. Aroma is citrus and pine. Medium mouthfeel. Flavor is lip smack puckering, tart, juicy, grapefruit rind, and finishes with a touch of tart pineapple. This was my first brew that I know of that uses Citra hops. Great stuff. Thanks Mike!!

4.39/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Poured with a small head of white foam that settles quickly and leaves good lace. The body is a hazy, copper-orange.

S - Strong lime and orange hop aromas and a little bit of toffee malt.

T - Lots of lemon and orange hops up front with a little pine. Very sweet toffee malt in the middle. Things finish up with more pine and orange as well as some sweet, biscuit maltthat us balanced by moderate bitterness.

M - A fairly thick body, moderate carbonation and a sweet finish.

D - Very fruity and very drinkable. The hops are over the top in terms of citrus character, but the malt balances them pretty well. The finish is quite sweet but it come across as well balanced.

4.74/5  rDev +3.9%

Been hearing good things about the citra, and now I have a growler to share thanks to Marisatheyounger, your the woman.

Burnt orange all around, the color is glowing with mostly orange maybe a shade of amber mixed with touches of slight copper. Pouring this, I get a inch of thickish white foam that stays and somewhat sticks. Pokadot lacing and some stripes around the glass.

This sure smells like citrus. Once all is said and done this smells like a superfecta of citrus with just the tiniest backing of malt to back that up. I get a shitload of papaya. Tropics, pineapple, mango etc. You guys and gals know the deal, west coast hoppy delight!!

Yep, Citra delivers in a big way without being huge, ya dig. It's like a overload in a small compartment. A big blast of that raw tropic treatment, mango, papaya, the works really. I get alot of squeezed orange with zest. Fruity than slighty malty without all that east coast overdo. Malt done right, not in your face, but there, to even the playing field. You just have to try it, to understand.

I am really digging the feel on this CITRA. It finishes so clean that going for another gulp afterwards is totally doable. Not the most bitter DIPA out there, in fact the bitter does not last into the aftertaste. One of the cleanest and smooth finishes I have ever had in a double, no fooling, no bias as well.. Body is a step above medium with adaquate carb based on look and feel.

Well, all in all, CITRA DIPA is a winner and deserves the acolades. The finish delivers not to mention the start, and well the whole damn thing rocks IMO. I could drink a whole growler of this if the time was right. I dont think I can say that with PTE or the like, this is just simple drinking with a BANG!!!

4.82/5  rDev +5.7%

On tap at the T, 2010.

A: Great hazy peach orange with a fluffy cap of white foam on top.

S: Great fat citra hop aroma in the nose with just a tad of english muffin malts in the background

T: Super resiny, oily hops with a bit of skunk weed thrown in for good measure

M: Refreshing and sticky...leaves you BEGGING for another sip

O: One of the best double ipas I've had and absolutely the best expression of all that CITRA can offer the brewer. Fantastic.

4.62/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Note review 400 yea!
A pint off the growler thanks onix1arg and a sweet gal who traded it to him. Damn what a pull.

A- a stiff pour yields a good finger or so of off white head that holds for a bit before slowly settling to leave some nice creamy lace on the glass and a solid skin on top. Hazy sunset orange in color with a lovely glow to it.

S- well the name don't lie. This bad boy smells like citrus. Oranges, grapefruits, tangerines, then the tropics kick in and you get some sweet mango and a touch of pineapple. Malts are there but only come off with a light sweetness that blends into the super fruity hops.

T- opens up with an abundance of fresh juicy citrus hops that bring the whole damn cornucopia with it. Loads of oranges, super sweet ruby red grapefruits, tangerines. Its a landslide of citrus fruits, like five alive but good. Mangos, papaya, and pineapples show their head as well and really round out a spectacular hop profile. Malts play fifth fiddle if you get my drift, but do an expert job of bringing just that right amount of lightly bready sweetness to the hops, it boosts them to the next level and balances them out at the same time. Amazingly clean finish with a nice hoppy linger that I won't soon forget.

M- a hop or two above medium in body and a smooth slightly creamy carb that kills it on each sip.

O- wow wow we wow! This is a breathtaking beer. This just went down on me then I went down on it and everyone is very pleased with the out come. I am impressed with it drinkablity and how clean of a finish it has. Yo for real big ups to my boy b and the lovely lady who hooked him up with this brew. I don't know your name but I thank you very much.

Citra Double IPA from Kern River Brewing Company