Citra Double IPA | Kern River Brewing Company

Citra Double IPACitra Double IPA

Kern River Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Made with Citra and Amarillo hops.

Added by Solomon420 on 02-13-2010

Reviews: 382 | Ratings: 1,646
4.99/5  rDev +9.4%

Live review of a bottle scored from the latest batch.

A - Pours a hazy, golden amber with a short white head. The head leaves lacing all along the glass the entire time.

S - The is no doubt that there are citra hops in this brew. The aroma is intense.

T - The best part of this beer is the taste, it is so balanced. You are expecting the hops to be too intense but they are offset perfectly by the malt.

M - A medium bodied beer with a nice amount of carbonation.

O - This is what a DIPA should be. Nothing overwhelms you. Just wish it was more readily available.

4.95/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured from a bomber into a newly aquired Lost Abbey stem. (what a way to christen a new glass, with Citra!)Served at 42 degrees. HUGE shoutout to Cisco619 for providing the glass AND the Citra.

I was worried after all the hype and waiting that it wouldn't quite live up to it all. Boy was I wrong!

Pours a gorgeous clear, amber. Nice fluffy white head that settles down with good lacing all over the glass.
Smell is of fresh cut tropical fruits and pine.
At first taste I'm greeted with a 'fresh' bitter taste. Nice grassy and floral taste as it eases down the gullet. This shit is the real deal. As it goes down there is a slight hop burn, like the 'heartburn' feeling one can get from too much hops (is there such a thing as too much hops?? I doubt it) I'm loving every second of this beer.
While it is swishing in my mouth, it feels almost perfect. If there is any nitpicking to be done....and it really is just nitpicking...it could be just a bit thicker for a DIPA.
Really, this is probably the best beer I've ever had from a bottle. I can't even imagine how good this must be freshly tapped. I can't help but think to the difference in Pliny from a fresh keg to a fresh bottle. While the bottle is excellent, the tap is magical. I love Pliny, but I think, at least in bottle form, this may take it. You West Coasters really fuckin' know how to rape the hops for all the flavor! I love it!!

Find this. Get this. Drink this.

4.67/5  rDev +2.4%

On tap at Toronado's San Diego. Served in a pint glass.

A: Served with a .5 finger foamy and frothy white head with great retention. Beer is a cloudy grapefruit. Lacing is thick and ruler-like and with great legs from level to level. Good stick too.

S: Nose is intensly aromatic citrus and cascade hops. Pine in the back with big, bold, grapefruit and citrus in the front. Cane sugar sweetness rounds out a wonderful aroma.

T: Opens rather sweet. Detectable pineapple, grapefruit, and citrus. Piney hop character in the back serves as a great level of balance towards the middle. Resiny hop bitterness at the end but well complemented by the fruit that moves into the back. Finish is resiny hop character that sticks in the aftertaste.

M: Medium bodied and moderately carbonated. Very smooth, balanced, and creamy overall. Goes down very easily. The abv is fantastically hidden. Finish is messy with an aftertaste that lingers.

D: This beer is the real deal, hype and all. The best DIPA that I've had to date by a good margin. Incredible balance and flavor separation and unbelievably drinkable. Seek it out, trade for it, whatever you have to do, get it. Absolutely fantastic!

4.62/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On-tap at Downtown Johnny Browns in San Diego. Poured into a Pint Glass.

A - Poured a beautiful orange-amber with a creamy white head that never fully dissipates.
S - Definitely smells like Citra hops! Huge tropical notes of pineapple, mandarin orange, peaches, and pine resin. Amazing!
T - Taste is spot-on with the nose, mostly tropical hop flavors with a nice caramel backbone and a strong, bitter finish.
M - Sticky, with a fairly full mouth-feel, medium body, and moderate carbonation. The 8% ABV is barely noticed.
O - Wonderful DIPA, and an excellent showcase for one of my favorite hop varietals.

4.8/5  rDev +5.3%

Glad to have finally tried a beer that has been on my wish list for so long. This was made possible when Kern River finally decided to bottle this great beer. Pours a hazy gold/copper-orange-amber body. Large, off-white head formed from a sizable stream of carbonation from the bottom of the glass. Good retention holds the head up for a few minutes before crashing to a nice skim and a well-defined ring. Nice coating of lacing. Aroma picked up some tropical fruits like mango, pineapple, grapefruit and orange dominate up front. A nice resinous quality. Some zesty spice. Tons of hops, but a sizable malt base. Like the nose there are massive doses of hops and malt here in the flavor profile. The hops are pronounced with mango and grapefruit separating themselves from the rest of the citric notes. Creamy, medium body with good rolling carbonation. Resinous and oily. Solid bitterness throughout culminating with a nice aggressive floral bite.

4.87/5  rDev +6.8%

Wow. Just wow. Many thanks to inflames, who sent this pretty much out of the goodness of his heart (though I hope to repay him in kind).

Pours a bright glowing orange. Big frothy white head. Beautiful look, and pretty big head for a DIPA.

Amazing, just amazing aroma. This is something very special. Tons of incredible pink, juicy grapefruit, apricots and tangerines, fresh sliced oranges, pineapple, mangoes,, passion fruit and ... maybe a whiff of fresh pine, but the citrus character is unbelievable. Just incredibly fresh hop bouquet, along with Dreadnaught and Pliny the Younger, best aromas from any member of the IPA family tree I can recall.

Taste is every bit as good, if not better. Incredible biting hop freshness, simply unreal. Juicy oranges and tangerines predominant, but tons of grapefruit, mangoes, pineapple and a host of exotic fruits ... just an amazing brew. Maybe a whisper of malt. Just the barest whisper.

Very good fluffy mouthfeel.

Only regret, difficult work schedule and anticipated growler expiration made it impossible to share this with anyone but the missus, who didn't really like it.

MUST HAVE MORE. One of the finest beers I have ever had.

4.67/5  rDev +2.4%

Growler courtesy of Ultraman9000 - thanks, Martin!

Pours a hazy burnt orange color with a two finger off-white head. Head retention is great, as is lacing. The aroma is awesome - tons of tropical fruit with pineapple and mango really shining through. Lighter caramel malt notes underly the tropical fruit hops. The taste is much the same, with lots of tropical fruit hoppiness dominating the flavor profile. The is just enough caramel malt sweetness to add some depth to the taste beyond the hops. The bitterness is pretty high, but the alcohol is very well-hidden. Extremely easy to drink - three of us had no problem finishing the growler in not much time. Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation, the finish is pretty dry and bitter with a hint of alcohol warming.

Really phenomenal stuff overall. I'd put it right behind the Plinys and pretty close to Dreadnaught and Abrasive in my personal DIPA pecking order.

4.27/5  rDev -6.4%

Growler shared by chswimmer. Craig was nice enough to share this beer, but then he and others at the tasting were absolutely horrified when I revealed that I thought this beer was...wait for it...really good. As in, really good, not the most incredible liquid ever produced in the history of the world. They attempted to rip up my notes and torture me to the point where I changed my score to an A+, but I resisted.

Pours hazy golden with a nice one-finger off-white head and good retention.

Really citrusy hop aroma - grapefruit and orange - with sweet malt and some vegetable notes.

Flavor is orange and grapefruit, some veggies and resinous hops. Just a little malt character.

Nice palate, a real wrecker. Medium-full body.

Pretty good overall, drinkable. Thanks, Craig! This was really good. Like A- good. Better than probably 90% of DIPAs.

4.69/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a big, fluffy white head. Brew is cloudy and deep orange, deeply translucent, with gold and amber highlights and hints of red. Head retention is excellent, and lacing is sticky and thick.

Huge citrus and tropical fruit aroma (think: Enjoy By). Ruby red grapefruit and tangerine; apricots; peaches; mangos. Floral with a bit of honey. Subtle biscuity malt in the background. Absolutely superb nose.

Flavor is drier and earthier than the nose. First, a hint of citrus peel; slightly resinous hops. Then, the fruit really kicks in mid-palate: juicier citrus and tropical fruit. Final third of the hop flavors returns a mix of resin, pine, and tropical fruit, with a lasting (but pleasant) citrus peel aftertaste.

Overall flavor is surprisingly balanced and even subtle; it's not over the top, especially when compared to the aroma. Amarillo is more dominant than the Citra, IMO; it's more balanaced overall, and I don't get any dank flavors. Malt backbone is virtually nonexistent as a flavor, yet there's enough there that the hop flavors don't come across as unbalanced.

Nice, medium mouthfeel, perfect and lively in the mouth (not DIPA syrup). Minimum sting, absolutely no alcohol presence. Juicy throughout, but a fairly dry finish. Excellent.

This beer isn't really perfect in many respects, but it's damn close across the board. The only thing that I think couldn't be improved is the appearance; it just looks great. The aroma is fantastic. The taste and mouthfeel are superb, but perhaps imperfect for my particular tastes; they're certainly not flawed in any way.

A very drinkable beer; IMO, a slightly better, less citrus peel on the lasting aftertaste would bump it up yet another notch. Really a fantastic DIPA that you should thank the stars if you can get your hands on it.

Thanks to JayORear for this gift!

4.83/5  rDev +5.9%

A - Pours a cloudy golden orange color. A two finger, slightly off white head settles down to a nice layer of bubbles that hang around until the end.

S - Lots of pineapple and orange peel smells exactly like I thought it would. Very inviting aromas with muted evergreen notes, the citrus really dominates.

T - Just like the nose. Hopes, pine, citrus, malt all balanced together. Slight bitterness at the end.

M - Medium body with above average carbonation. Fairly lively and zesty feel.

O - All I can say is Wow! I have now had all the big three DIPAS (Pliny, Heady Topper & Citra). Tough to put these in order but I have to say for me this is the second best IPA in the world behind Heady Topper for me with Pliny in a close third. Knowing how good this beer is I will definitely be trying to get more in the future.

10 oz pours at Encinitas Ale House for SDBW. Pours a hazy golden orange with amazing nose. Tropical, bitter front end and oh so smooth finish. Hides its abv well. Overall, less tropical and more hoopy aggressive than HF Double Citra but amazingly balanced. I could (and did) sit and drink this all day....

4.7/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Slightly hazed golden apricot color with a full, smooth, creamy, white head. Great retention leaving a thin whispy layer of lace.

S - Very fruity aroma with mango, pineapple, peach, grapefruit, and hints of passion fruit. There is a pleasant sweet malty backbone with a slight bready aspect. Ripe fruit just dominates though.

T - Reflects the nose with loads of ripe fruit (all the ones indicated above). A slight resin/floral flavor is hidden away in the fruit as well. A kick of bitterness toward the finish but it is balanced nicely with the bready malt and sweet fruit.

M - Medium body with above average carbonation. Fairly lively and zesty feel.

D - Loads of hoppy goodness and fruits make this very drinkable. Alcohol is very well hidden. Maybe a little strong on the bitterness but this was a very fresh bottle.

Notes: Wonderful DIPA. Loads of fruit with a great sweet and bitter contrast. Hops are very much on display. Well crafted and very enjoyable. I was extremely happy and lucky to get a sample.

4.96/5  rDev +8.8%

Darker straw color with slight white head. Smells of amazing citra hops, mango, grapefruit and pineapple with slight sweet malt hiding in there. Deliciously hoppy with a nice malty base meeting those same citrus fruits shine. Great mouthfeel of carbonation and drying hops. Overall what else can I say about this amazing beer? Except that I wish I had better access to it in Ohio.

4.5/5  rDev -1.3%

Bottled something like 8-19-11. Pours a slightly hazy golden-orange color. Big fluffy white cap of head that sticks all over the sides of the glass. Big, inviting, juicy tropical hops in the nose, balanced slightly with a touch of malt sweetness. This is clearly not one of those dry hop bomb DIPAs - instead the nose brings you right in. Really, really nice. Taste is citric, tame hop bitterness. Tropical (not as crazy tropical as Jai Alai, though), juicy, with a reasonable amount of malt balance. Clearly more juicy hop flavor that bitterness, which is pretty low key and appears mostly in the finish. Not dry by any means, but the malt sweetness and body is medium relative to some sweet and heavy DIPAs. This is exactly the way I prefer my hoppy beers. I do feel like this might be better on tap and clearly freshness will be very important. Still really nice with big, juicy, tropical hop flavor. I could drink this constantly. Another great beer from what seems to be a place that makes some good ones.

4.62/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Note review 400 yea!
A pint off the growler thanks onix1arg and a sweet gal who traded it to him. Damn what a pull.

A- a stiff pour yields a good finger or so of off white head that holds for a bit before slowly settling to leave some nice creamy lace on the glass and a solid skin on top. Hazy sunset orange in color with a lovely glow to it.

S- well the name don't lie. This bad boy smells like citrus. Oranges, grapefruits, tangerines, then the tropics kick in and you get some sweet mango and a touch of pineapple. Malts are there but only come off with a light sweetness that blends into the super fruity hops.

T- opens up with an abundance of fresh juicy citrus hops that bring the whole damn cornucopia with it. Loads of oranges, super sweet ruby red grapefruits, tangerines. Its a landslide of citrus fruits, like five alive but good. Mangos, papaya, and pineapples show their head as well and really round out a spectacular hop profile. Malts play fifth fiddle if you get my drift, but do an expert job of bringing just that right amount of lightly bready sweetness to the hops, it boosts them to the next level and balances them out at the same time. Amazingly clean finish with a nice hoppy linger that I won't soon forget.

M- a hop or two above medium in body and a smooth slightly creamy carb that kills it on each sip.

O- wow wow we wow! This is a breathtaking beer. This just went down on me then I went down on it and everyone is very pleased with the out come. I am impressed with it drinkablity and how clean of a finish it has. Yo for real big ups to my boy b and the lovely lady who hooked him up with this brew. I don't know your name but I thank you very much.

Re-review off a growler on 12/11/10. This is much more bitter and less aromatic than previous batches. Still good, but much less drinkable, and the scores have been adjusted. I understand batch variation happens, but this is a pretty big swing.

Main changes:

S: Huge dropoff in aromatics. Citrus is still present, but it's less pungent, with more 'straight' citrus and less tropical variety.

T: As in the nose, less tropical focus. Still more tangerine, pineapple, apricot than the nose would suggest. But it is heavily grapefruit dominated, and the bittering hops have been played up more.

M: More of a lingering bitterness than previous batches.

D: I drank a couple of glasses, but my enthusiasm waned after the first one. It was mostly enjoyment of the memory than the beer.

Dial in your recipes, KRBC. This is not your best batch.

Original review (A+ / 4.8)

Chilled growler into a glass. Generously shared by chswimmer. Thanks, Craig.

It should be noted that the first time Craig shared this, I voluntarily skipped the tasting. I wasn't convinced by the hype, even as I received numerous annoying texts over the night telling me how awesome it was.

A: Pours a cloudy orange body, with 3 fingers of light cream head. To say this thing is still well-carbed is an understatement. I'm only deducting points for the lack of clarity here, but I don't genuinely feel that's a serious detriment to the beer.

Grapefruit, pineapple, tangerine, apricot, perfume. I see someone scribbled "fuckin' beautiful" on my notes -- probably largadeer. I agree.

T: Dry, incredibly clean citrus flavors. It reminds me of the pops I'd make out of frozen orange juice as a kid, with overtones of grapefruit, pineapple, tangerines, apricot, mango, and some sugar cookie sweetness. This is one of the fruitiest IPAs I have ever had, and in 3 glasses of it all I could focus on was the wonderful melange of citrus.

M: Medium bodied. It's not viscous. Dry and smooth, just incredibly silky. I'm really blown away. It's a little unsatisfying by lacking viscosity, but I also don't need a heavy beer all the time.

D: This beer is amazing. I am not prone to giving high scores, and for a while I was considering violating my own standards and giving this all 5s. If it weren't for the cloudy appearance, this would be an across-the-board perfect beer. Its affordable price is just a plus. I'd drink the s*** out of this thing if I lived locally. Seek this out.

4.77/5  rDev +4.6%

Growler received in trade with mrbubbler. I've been lucky getting some of my larger wants lately and this is one of the biggest - big thanks for the opportunity to try this one. Poured into a Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a yeasty hazed slightly dirty golden tinted orange. A finger of white foam briefly lingers before falling to a thick, tight bubbled collar with uneven islands on the surface. Nice sticky lacing down the sides of the glass.

S - Smells just like a freshly peeled grapefruit. Really can't think of anything else to say about this. The citrus is just huge - not at all complex, but I do love a good glass of grapefruit juice, so this is all good with me.

T - As expected from the aroma, grapefruit is high in intensity and right in your face. Flavor definitely has a bit more complexity than the aroma. Sitting beside the grapefruit is some nice pine...thick and resiny. Pineapple, some sweaty peaches and tropical fruits are in here too and complement the huge citrus component. Bitterness is medium to high but the wonderful citrus seems to mask its intensity a bit to give a well rounded (not balanced tho) flavor. Malt is hardly to not at all detectable. This is a hop lover's fantasy beer.

M - A bit on the lighter side of medium bodied, which is a bit of a surprise, but not an unpleasant one. Carbonation is medium which seems just about right...a touch prickly on the tip of the tongue but settles to a light tingle with a touch of creaminess. Very resiny and a bit sticky feeling.

D - This truly is a great west coast variety DIPA. The alcohol is really totally unnoticeable, even at 8.0%...it is hidden really well...kinda scary. Tons and tons of citrus and pine flavors...enough to satisfy any hop lover. Ample bitterness although not in a palate busting way. This is definitely a beer that needs to be enjoyed fresh. The hops really shine here...it would be a shame to let a beer like this fade with any age on it. Definitely a winner - I'd easily call this one of the best out there.

4.37/5  rDev -4.2%

Thanks to Austin for the opportunity. Growler shipped to and enjoyed with friends in Las Vegas the past weekend. Wasn't sure if I'd have the opportunity to try this and certainly didn't expect to be walking through the MGM Grand drinking this from a wine glass and returning to the room multiple times to sample this growler.

Growler emits a strong burst of air upon opening. Hooray. Pours a hazy medium orange with a thin white cover, sporadic bubbles, and plenty of stringy, clinging lace.

The smell is fantastic: massive tropical fruits, pineapple, banana, and mango. Smell wafts across the room to greet those eager gathered drinkers. I spent in inordinate amount of time with ye old proboscis tentatively perched on the precipice of this beauty.

Tropical fruits present just slightly more diminished that the nose. Bright hop burst transitions into a long and bitter finish, akin to licking a pine cone. Very nice, but not to the ridiculous standards set by the nose. This is by far the DRIEST double i have ever had.

This is an absolute palate rapist. All saliva evaporates as the bracing bitterness envelops the taste buds. If this beer leaned a bit more on the tropical noted and a bit less on the bitterness, this would be a dream. It is a very, very good beer, but in my opinion is not as good as Boy King. Additionally, the carbonation here seems misplaced and just a bit off. A bump would help carry this to a higher mark in the mouthfeel.

Overall, this is quite nice and I am very thankful for the opportunity at a growler. However, the dryness needs some dialing down and the carbonation a tune up to make this truly great.

4.57/5  rDev +0.2%

Big thanks to McDiddyPop for the share, and for setting up a very enjoyable mini-tasting. Citra pours a slightly hazed orange-copper hue, and is capped with a nice off-white head, leaving small lace deposits as the glass is upended. The nose is, unsurprisingly, heavily citric, and is backed by a nice sugary sweetness with no aromatic suggestion of caramel (a plus in my book.) Notes of candied tangerine, lemon zest, sweet pink grapefruit and a hint of Saturn (donut) peach are found in both the olfactory as well as the gustatory. The malt (and mouthfeel) is, again, on the lighter side for a DIPA, which is just how I like it; it has a very nice sugar cookie-like tastiness which is quite complementary to the hop profile. The hop component, by the way, is unquestionably nice, but is neither vibrant nor complex enough to be on the world-class level of, say, fresh Pliny or Double Trouble. Nevertheless, it is a delicious and delectable brew, and is every bit as good as its smaller sibling, the aptly dubbed 'Just Outstanding'.

4.12/5  rDev -9.6%

Reviewing the infamous Citra Double IPA from Kern River Brewing Company out of California. Today marks the last day of class in my law school career. I needed to celebrate with something special. Thank you Steven for sending me this one!

Score: 91

This bottle is from the March 23, 2012 release. Served in a Half Acre tulip and enjoyed on 05/02/12. Per Steven, this was stored in a fridge with set to a low/mid-30's temperature to help preserve its freshness.

Appearance: Pours a real nice golden orange color with two-plus fingers of foamy off-white head that slowly settles into a thin layer atop the glass. Very dense looking, and on the opaque side of translucent. Average lacing, good retention. 4/5

Smell: Lots of fresh tropical citrus in the nose. Pineapple, grapefruit, peach, mango, hoppy orange, lemon zest, and sweet-and-sour lemonade. Piney hops and fresh grass clipping. Incredible DIPA aroma. 4.5/5

Taste: You can tell the hops have fallen off a bit in the beer, but it still tastes good. Sweet tropical citrus upfront, counterbalanced by grassiness on back end. Upfront is zesty sweet-and-sour lemon, candied grapefruit, bitter orange rind, and pineapple juice. The back half is plenty juicy citrus as well, and mildly bitter on the linger with orange flavor to boot. The flavor profile is very similar to Heady Topper and Ghandi Bot, just "duller" and lacking any real bitter bite. 4/5

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and on the higher end of carbonation. Juicy mouthfeel. 4/5

Overall: A solid, but nothing spectacular DIPA. I have had fresher batches since the original review, and although the nose is always great, the taste lacks the punch I prefer in an IPA.

Recommendation: Worth drinking, but overhyped.

Cost: $8 for a 22 oz bottle.

4.77/5  rDev +4.6%

Big thanks to Deuane for sharing this growler!

A-Pours a hazy golden apricot with a generous amount of fluffy white head and great sticky lacing.

S-Huge aroma of citrus hops. Lots of grapefruit, some pineapple, even some peach with a hint of pine as well. A nice malt presence is detectable as well.

T-Sweet, juicy citric hop goodness in the front with a solid malt backbone throughout. This one closes with delicious resinous notes. Wow!

M-Medium bodied, good long lingering hop bitterness.

D-Oh, how I love citra hops! Especially when used to such brilliant effect. More please...

4.08/5  rDev -10.5%

big thanks to deadeye for this!

pours a slightly hazy golden copper with a nice inch plus of fluffy white head. nice lacing and retention.

lots of booze and bitterness with a faint hint of malt. not very complex on the nose. bits of citrus, mainly tangerine.

tropical fruit, with mango, pineapple, and tangerine coming to mind. lots of citra bitterness. grapefruit in the finish. malt body is there but the hops really take center stage.

great body. perfect mild to moderate carbonation. a bit chewy with a hint of resin on the teeth.

this is good but overhyped. glad i waited until this was bottled. nice 8% ABV for a DIPA, i would buy this again easily. however at the end of the day, i prefer the regular "just outstanding".

4.59/5  rDev +0.7%

From the release a couple weeks ago. Tulip glass.

A: Pours clear, bright golden with two fingers of off white head. Some splotches of lacing and good retention which leaves a thin film throughout the entire pour.

S: Phenomenal citrus (orange, lemon) and tropical (pineapple, mango) aromas. A really unique spritzy lemon or something which gives it a great brightness. Some supporting caramel malt which blends beautifully with the forward hops. Really unique, and one of the best smelling IPAs I've had.

T: Similar, with a little floral pine on mid-palate, again with a sizeable dose of supporting caramel malt and some bitterness on the finish.

M: Medium body and light carbonation which makes it super smooth. Reminds me of their 5th Anniversary in terms of really low carbonation, which leads to better sessionability but only a little crispness.

O: World class. This is a big, juicy van of an DIPA.

Kern River Citra DIPA
From the Thanksgiving 2011 bottling.

Tasted on 12-05-2011.
Poured into a tulip glass from a 22oz bottle.

A – Pours a very nice and cloudy slight golden color almost like peach. The head is huge. About 2 inches tall with some nice white dense bubbles. There is some awesome sticky lacing. It recedes ever so slowly to a nice fluffy mat. Perfection in the look for sure. (5.0)

S – OMG. This is everything I’ve hoped for in a DIPA. Starts off with some juicy and exquisite tangerine, some mango notes and some slight orange peel. Peach is DEFINITELY present. Amazing! There is some delicious tropical fruit sweetness mixed in with the slight citric sweetness of the Citra hops. The background of the nose definitely has some nice toasty, bready biscuit malt notes that just help to bring the hops juice to the forefront. There is some slight hop resin but not enough to call it piney as other more East Coast IPAs. This is definitely from the other coast. (5.0)

T & M – Wow!! This is amazing! First off this has to be up there with the best DIPAS hands down. Starts off with some nice citrus hop notes mixed in with some delicious tropical fruit notes. Flavors of slight grapefruit, some orange as well as apricot and peach are extremely delicious and very well crafted. These sweet tropical flavors mix in so well with the acidic citrus notes and the hop bitterness is at a perfect level and intensity. Not to dry or aggressive but just enough to get this hop-head satisfied. This is truly a gem. Reminds me a lot of FFF Dreadnaught IPA, Bells HopSlam and dare I say PtE. In all honesty this is my favorite DIPA up there with Abrasive from Surly. Beneath that hop deliciousness there is a nice strong malt backbone. There are bread notes as well as some toasty and earthy grain notes beneath the tropical hop flavors. I can’t quit raving about this beer to my GF as she sits here and laughs at me. This is truly a perfectly balanced DIPA. The back end of the beer has some nice dry bitterness and bready aftertaste with some nice final hints of that tropical hop juice. The beers mouthfeel is perfect as well. Very nicely carbonated with just enough refreshing bubbles and a slightly oily yet easy to approach body. (5.0) (5.0)

O – What can I say that hasn’t been said before? This to me could be the Pliny killer. It is delicious and balanced but it is also fraught with flavor and intensity. Perfectly crafted brew. (5.0)

4.4/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Received in a trade. It's from the last bottling (early November) which makes this over a month old.

The hype around this beer is insane. This bottle is a month old, so I will try to keep that in consideration.

It looks great. Beautiful golden-orange color with a head that disappears as fast as looking at Grannies with Trannys.

Aroma explodes with Citra and Amarillo hops characteristics. Candied mango, pineapple and orange are the cliche characteristics of a beer hopped to shit with 'tropical fruit hops.' There is a nice resinous backbone that keep this from being 'perfumey.' HINTS of garlic are present, but only due to the insane amounts of hops used in this beer. Alcohol comes out slightly the more the beer warms, but only slightly.

Flavor is nice and balanced in terms of sweet fruit and bitter hops. Hops bite when you take that first sip, but fade to open a presence of herbaceous and tropical fruit notes mid-palate with the finish being long and pleasant.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied without being syrupy. Minimal carbonation is present but just enough to help accentuate the hops and other characteristics.

Overall I was very impressed that this beer was still as good as it was after a month. It isn't 'legendary' as it might have been at 1-2 weeks, but it was still one of the better double IPAs I have had. A great experience and I'm really glad I got to FINNALY tick it off my list.

Citra Double IPA from Kern River Brewing Company