Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

CitraCitra

Kern River Brewing Company
kernriverbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

A double IPA that is hazy pale in color with a strong pungent aroma that comes from large amounts of Citra hops.

Added by Solomon420 on 02-13-2010

#56

Ratings: 1,756 |  Reviews: 401
4.3/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

64 oz growler into several glasses. Thanks go to Deuane for hooking us up with this growler of hoppy goodness from CA.

Pours a slightly hazed copper, with a finger of rich bright-white head. Very nice looking full flare-up on this, which drenches the sides of the glass with heavy lacing. The aroma has a big hoppy bouquet on it, full of floral hops, spice, pine cones, a bit of herbal dankness, and a ton of DEEP tropical fruit character. There is some stiff toasted graininess behind all of those hops but most of the sweetness here is mostly coming from all of that juicy citrus character.

Those same hops blast off in the taste, being rich with spice, lighter resins, and citrus. A combo of tropical sweetness (mango & pineapple) and more bitter offerings (grapefruit) really gives the profile a biting and tangy fruitiness. The malt backbone gives comes off as more of a toasted grainy presence, offering up some balance but not necessarily a whole lot of sweetness. Just enough to really let those hops come to the forefront and shine. Very bitter and gritty finish on this, with spice and grapefruit especially lingering hard on the tongue. The mouthfeel is medium to fuller bodied, large and sharp feeling creaminess to this that fills the palate up with flavor. There is some gentle warmth to the body but that 8% ABV is really fantastically hidden here.

You know, this was a VERY good DIPA, just dripping with hop flavor and possessing a ridiculously drinkable body for the size of it. This just lacked a certain bright feeling "pop" to the flavors that I could tell should have been there but had probably diminished some after a cross country journey. I could believe that this on draft or in a freshly filled growler would definitely get this up into World Class status. This is still very much recommended checking out.

4.95/5  rDev +8.3%

Big thanks to Jose for getting this to me. I love the tropical fruit like hoppiness I got from other Citra hopped beers I've had so I've really been looking forward to this one. Opened up the growler to share with my Fiance as we put up the Christmas tree.

Poured from a growler into my Southern Tier tulip. It poured kind of a murky, pale orange color in the glass. It started out with a big, active, frothy, white head to it and lasted pretty well into drinking it. The head eventually retreated to the edges of the glass, where it left some fantastic, thick lacing on the sides. Pretty much a perfect looking DIPA, I can't think of anything more I could ask of it.

The aroma has the biggest tropical and fruity hop profile to it I've ever encountered. Lots of pineapple, mango, orange and peach really shine through. It has a bit of a tropical punch like flavor coming through. Awesome aroma, I love it.

The taste follows the aroma with lots opf tropical and fruity flavors. more of the peachy, pineapple, orange and mango are present throughout the flavor. Midway I get more of a green, herbal like, fresh hoppiness to it as well. It leans a bit on the sweet side but finishes wit ha slight bitterness. The sweetness really works well for it too and compliments the citra hop nicely. Just a touch of alcohol comes through in the finish. Fantastic tasting beer.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied and carbonation is moderate and a bit sharp. Drinkability for me is excellent. I love tropical fruit like hoppiness in beers and this one shows it off perfectly. This is probably my new favorite hoppy beer. Loved every part of it and I can only hope something similar to this comes to my market soon. I think this might be a new highest scoring beer for me, and it's definitely a new favorite. It was pretty much perfect in all categories for the style and my taste.

4.6/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a hazy golden orange with a firm half-inch white head which fades slowly to the rim leaving stringers and splotches of lace.

N: Floral grapefruit blossoms, mango, tangerine, perhaps passionfruit, an orange. Plenty of bright citrus notes.

T: Herbal and citrus up front with a balanced malt middle and finishing dank and resiny.

M: Full body and moderate carbonation. Sticky and very dry finish. Lingering malt draws you back for more.

O: Well, what do you call something better than "Just Outstanding"? Solid all around. Best fresh (duh), and super enjoyable. ABV is a creeper.

4.7/5  rDev +2.8%

4.25/5  rDev -7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.55/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.89/5  rDev +7%

Review from notes. Big thanks to Shane for sharing this bottle with me!

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden color with one finger of white head on top. Has nice retention and leaves behind some nice lacing.

S: Tons of citrus and tropical fruits. Tons of pineapple, mango, and orange. There is a little bit of caramel malt, but very faint. Not much pine or malt, just straight juicy fruit. Extremely fresh and inviting.

T: Similar to the aroma in that there is a tropical fruit explosion right away. Lots of citrus, pineapple, mango, tangerine, orange, and some grass. There is a bitterness in the middle that I felt in my jaw, but it has a very smooth finish with very little lingering bitterness.

M: Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Drinks very smooth with a slightly dry finish, but not overly bitter at all.

O: Incredibly drinkable, there is no sign of the 8% abv whatsoever. The flavors are intense and amazing, and it doesn't have the bitterness that most West Coast DIPAs do. One of the best beers I have had period.

4.59/5  rDev +0.4%

Received a bottle of this today from Whatsarezaf; thanks Reza! Been a big Want of mine for a while so glad to finally snag a bottle from the recent release. Poured into my Bell's tulip.

a - Pours a hazy dark orange-yellow color with two fingers of lightly off white head and moderate carbonation evident. Head lasts for two to three minutes and leaves a ton of frothy lacing on the glass.

s - Smells of citra hops, mangos, tropical fruits, fruity malts, light grapefruit, citrus, and pine hops. Really awesome nose; just a ton of citra hops and tropical fruits. Near perfect nose for a DIPA, I love it.

t - Tastes of citra hops, tropical fruits, mangos, peaches, floral hops, fruity malts, grapefruit, lemon, light pine hops. Taste is great as well. A little bit maltier then the nose though still a ton of hops too. Great taste, the nose was just perfect.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation. Some light bitterness but not much considering how hoppy it is. Very nice body.

o - Overall I thought this was an amazing DIPA; probably the best Citra DIPA I've had. The nose is perfect, and the taste is great too. Tons and tons of citra hops and tropical fruits, and not much bitterness in the taste at all. An Awesome beer I really love and would love to have again. Up there with Blind Pig, Heady Topper, and Pliny the Elder as one of the best DIPA's I've had.

4.92/5  rDev +7.7%

Huge thanks to chswimmer for sending this one my way. I knew i had to get ahold of it and quick as word was out, this was one killer dipa. Served cold and enjoyed the whole damn thin last night on 04/10/10.

The pour was superb. So damn cloudy and thick looking, the consistency of very pulpy grapefruit juice but with a more amber tone to it. Big head of white rises up but fades after a few minutes coating the entire glass with sticky white webbing that never does fade away, this is going to be a beast. Each whiff of the aroma is like heaven. I swear I did not think somethin could smell this ripe in fresh, it was divine. Rich and sweet oranges, hints of mango and passion fruit. Soo fresh it was absurd. I have never smelled anything like this before. It was just perfect. Even warming just seemed to bring it out more, rich decadent citrus aromas packed with a candy like sweetness that had me in tears literally, super soft and delicate flavor just really had me on the ground. I cold not have envisioned this coming across any fuller or better, it was just unreal. Orange slices just grip the palate and refuse to let go as the deep and fresh resin like flavor. Each sip was like gold, smooth, mellow and suprisingly well balanced, I am in awe of this beer. Each sip was better then the one before. Manoes and ripe grapefruit now coming through, papaya and star fruit, just everything that you could imagine as being sweet, citrusy and fresh was thrown in here without regard. This is what I want, every day, all day. 8 perfect my ass as you drink it like water. Three pints down in an hour as I sit on the deck and relax. Never had I had a big beer be soo drinkable.

Overall I am speechless. This is what it is all about. Do not stop, go get this, I am at a loss.

4.13/5  rDev -9.6%

650 mL bottle poured into a pint glass. Thanks to iHEARTbeer247 for this bottle.

Appearance - Deep orange body. Cloudy with a big white head. Great sticky lacing and a nice layer of foam remains on the beer.

Smell - Hoppy. Clearly. Straight citrus hops with a bready malt in the back. It's really nice, but it's not complex like other great IPAs.

Taste - Yes, it's hoppy, but it's just citrus again. It's pretty damn good, but it's just not very interesting. If the other hop flavors were more prevalent, this could be fantastic. Anyway, the malt flavor is bready and just a touch sweet, but it still manages to be quite imposing on the palate. The flavor drops off abruptly at the end to a very slightly bitter finish.

Mouthfeel - It's crisp, but the hop flavor isn't sustained throughout the drink. Hoppy at first and malty in the back. The one-dimensionality of the hop profile makes it incredibly drinkable, but only because I want the hop flavor back.

Overall - Ok, so everything it has is great, but it doesn't rival the best out there. I'd take a Pliny or Heady Topper over this easily. I want the flavor to build, but it doesn't. If this beer wasn't hyped to hell, I'd be singing its praises.

4.42/5  rDev -3.3%

Thanks to whoever brought this to the Inaugural "Imminent Liquidation Bottle Share" Event. Growler poured into a taster glass.

A - Pours deep amber orange with a small half finger tall white head, dissipating down to almost nothing, leaving light lacing down the glass.

S - HUGE citric hop punch up front that never really fades from the limelight. Some caramel malt and tropical fruits offer as much balance as they can but it is really all about the hops.

T - Still plenty of citric hops up front; just not as much as the nose; giving way slowly to a mix of light caramel malt and fresh tropical fruits. Finish is quite bitter but it doesn't last for very long. I really like this one. It is not too over the top like others, it is quite refreshing actually. Glad I finally got to try it.

M - Medium body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Nice crisp feel with a good amount of lingering hop bitterness in the finish.

D - Dangerously high. I finally get to try this one on for size. I really enjoyed the Hill Farmstead Citra but I think the Kern River was a bit more well rounded. I hope to have this again someday, preferably on-tap!

4.8/5  rDev +5%

A: The pour is a slightly hazed golden orange color with a massive white head and tons of white lacing.

S: The nose is amazingly fruity and hoppy. Lots of grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, and mango. Maybe just a hint of pine in there too.

T: A good bitterness, but not quite as intense as something like Pliny or Ruination. But it works almost perfectly with the intense fruity nature of the beer. Same "fruit salad" flavors noted in the nose.

M: The body is medium with plenty of carbonation and a moderate bitterness on the finish.

D: My earlier serving of this beer was good, but nowhere near as impressive as this one. A fantastic Double IPA and a nice showing of the Citra hop.

4.62/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to drabmuh for splitting his growler with me.

A: Very hazy yellow/orange with an excellent, thick head and awesome retention and lacing.

S: As soon as the growler opened, the hop aromas began arousing my palate. A gargantuan aroma, and probably the most robust scents I have found in a DIPA. Enticing grapefruit and mango. Go citra hops!

T: Delicious. It doesn't taste quite as amazing as it smells, but it's pretty tasty nonetheless. This beer is hops, hops, hops. What a fabulous blend of citrus flavors. Forget balance, give me an insanely hopped, delicious, refreshing, well crafted DIPA. Kern has delivered.

M: Very pleasant bitter finish. Very nice.

D: A fine brew I look forward to having again. It's easy to throw back a few pints of Citra DIPA. Highly recommended.

4.49/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.53/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Huge thanks to BdubleEdubleRUN for this thoughtful extra in our most recent trade. You are the man Brett, thanks a ton!

From a bomber into a snifter, this brew appears a gorgeous color of clear orange with a lighter coloring of yellow around the edges. A finger and a half of froth slightly off-white creamy meringue sits atop this brew with awesome powers of retention. As the cap slowly fades, it paints the wall of the glass with a webbing pattern of lace. A light swirl revives a finger of yellowish stained creamy head. Fantastic looking brew here.

The smell of this brew is a fantastic display of fresh hop character. To call this brew just "citra" is an insult. Not only notes of citrus in the nose but lots of tropical aromas emit from the glass smelling minorly like pineapple, pine, orange/lemon zest and a very light amount of catty character. This brew just smells downright juicy with hops. Awesome display of fresh hops in this brew's nose. As it warms up, a light solvent touch of fruited alcohol is noted across the back that tingles the nose.

The taste of this brew is a hop attack of juicy fruited flavored hops. The initial flavoring is that of bitter herbs and rinds, slightly catty with a touch of sulfur mixed with stinky cheese. Once the palate comes accustomed to the hop assault, more fruited flavors of orange rind, pulp, grapefruit, mild pineapple and grass come forward. There is a very faint malt touch in the background which provides an excellent base for the hops to play off of. It hardly provides any sweetness but more of a toasted touch. As the brew warms up, some solvent alcohol comes forward reminding you that this is a DIPA and there is 8% abv hiding underneath the glorious amount of hop character shoved inside this bottle.

This is a medium bodied brew with a modest level of carbonation. Absolutely a fantastic take on the style and a real treat to enjoy. Straight across the board this was a real pleasure. Nitpicking here I would have liked to seen just a bit more body on this. For as much flavor and aroma it packed, it seemed just a touch thin and watery but man did it come across as one super drinkable brew. I devastated this bomber fairly quickly and was looking for more. Well done Kern River, color me impressed.

3.75/5  rDev -17.9%