Citra | Kern River Brewing Company

CitraCitra

Kern River Brewing Company
kernriverbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

A double IPA that is hazy pale in color with a strong pungent aroma that comes from large amounts of Citra hops.

Added by Solomon420 on 02-13-2010

#56

Ratings: 1,762 |  Reviews: 402

4.23/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: bright glowing orange. Slight haze. Thick eggshell white bubbles

S: citra galore. Resin. Citrus pith. Notes of pineapple and mango peel.

T: great balance of tropical fruits and citrus zest. Goes into resinous pine and a floral arrangement.

F: soft decent body. Finished dry and crisp.

O: very well done. I do think it is a bit overly rated relatives to it's comps but none the less fantastic.

4.61/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.7/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Slightly hazed golden apricot color with a full, smooth, creamy, white head. Great retention leaving a thin whispy layer of lace.

S - Very fruity aroma with mango, pineapple, peach, grapefruit, and hints of passion fruit. There is a pleasant sweet malty backbone with a slight bready aspect. Ripe fruit just dominates though.

T - Reflects the nose with loads of ripe fruit (all the ones indicated above). A slight resin/floral flavor is hidden away in the fruit as well. A kick of bitterness toward the finish but it is balanced nicely with the bready malt and sweet fruit.

M - Medium body with above average carbonation. Fairly lively and zesty feel.

D - Loads of hoppy goodness and fruits make this very drinkable. Alcohol is very well hidden. Maybe a little strong on the bitterness but this was a very fresh bottle.

Notes: Wonderful DIPA. Loads of fruit with a great sweet and bitter contrast. Hops are very much on display. Well crafted and very enjoyable. I was extremely happy and lucky to get a sample.

4.34/5  rDev -5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.96/5  rDev +8.5%

Darker straw color with slight white head. Smells of amazing citra hops, mango, grapefruit and pineapple with slight sweet malt hiding in there. Deliciously hoppy with a nice malty base meeting those same citrus fruits shine. Great mouthfeel of carbonation and drying hops. Overall what else can I say about this amazing beer? Except that I wish I had better access to it in Ohio.

4.66/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.5/5  rDev -1.5%

Bottled something like 8-19-11. Pours a slightly hazy golden-orange color. Big fluffy white cap of head that sticks all over the sides of the glass. Big, inviting, juicy tropical hops in the nose, balanced slightly with a touch of malt sweetness. This is clearly not one of those dry hop bomb DIPAs - instead the nose brings you right in. Really, really nice. Taste is citric, tame hop bitterness. Tropical (not as crazy tropical as Jai Alai, though), juicy, with a reasonable amount of malt balance. Clearly more juicy hop flavor that bitterness, which is pretty low key and appears mostly in the finish. Not dry by any means, but the malt sweetness and body is medium relative to some sweet and heavy DIPAs. This is exactly the way I prefer my hoppy beers. I do feel like this might be better on tap and clearly freshness will be very important. Still really nice with big, juicy, tropical hop flavor. I could drink this constantly. Another great beer from what seems to be a place that makes some good ones.

4.62/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Note review 400 yea!
A pint off the growler thanks onix1arg and a sweet gal who traded it to him. Damn what a pull.

A- a stiff pour yields a good finger or so of off white head that holds for a bit before slowly settling to leave some nice creamy lace on the glass and a solid skin on top. Hazy sunset orange in color with a lovely glow to it.

S- well the name don't lie. This bad boy smells like citrus. Oranges, grapefruits, tangerines, then the tropics kick in and you get some sweet mango and a touch of pineapple. Malts are there but only come off with a light sweetness that blends into the super fruity hops.

T- opens up with an abundance of fresh juicy citrus hops that bring the whole damn cornucopia with it. Loads of oranges, super sweet ruby red grapefruits, tangerines. Its a landslide of citrus fruits, like five alive but good. Mangos, papaya, and pineapples show their head as well and really round out a spectacular hop profile. Malts play fifth fiddle if you get my drift, but do an expert job of bringing just that right amount of lightly bready sweetness to the hops, it boosts them to the next level and balances them out at the same time. Amazingly clean finish with a nice hoppy linger that I won't soon forget.

M- a hop or two above medium in body and a smooth slightly creamy carb that kills it on each sip.

O- wow wow we wow! This is a breathtaking beer. This just went down on me then I went down on it and everyone is very pleased with the out come. I am impressed with it drinkablity and how clean of a finish it has. Yo for real big ups to my boy b and the lovely lady who hooked him up with this brew. I don't know your name but I thank you very much.

4.75/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.43/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.25/5  rDev -7%

4.92/5  rDev +7.7%

3.5/5  rDev -23.4%

4.75/5  rDev +3.9%

Re-review off a growler on 12/11/10. This is much more bitter and less aromatic than previous batches. Still good, but much less drinkable, and the scores have been adjusted. I understand batch variation happens, but this is a pretty big swing.

Main changes:

S: Huge dropoff in aromatics. Citrus is still present, but it's less pungent, with more 'straight' citrus and less tropical variety.

T: As in the nose, less tropical focus. Still more tangerine, pineapple, apricot than the nose would suggest. But it is heavily grapefruit dominated, and the bittering hops have been played up more.

M: More of a lingering bitterness than previous batches.

D: I drank a couple of glasses, but my enthusiasm waned after the first one. It was mostly enjoyment of the memory than the beer.

Dial in your recipes, KRBC. This is not your best batch.

~~~

Original review (A+ / 4.8)

Chilled growler into a glass. Generously shared by chswimmer. Thanks, Craig.

It should be noted that the first time Craig shared this, I voluntarily skipped the tasting. I wasn't convinced by the hype, even as I received numerous annoying texts over the night telling me how awesome it was.

A: Pours a cloudy orange body, with 3 fingers of light cream head. To say this thing is still well-carbed is an understatement. I'm only deducting points for the lack of clarity here, but I don't genuinely feel that's a serious detriment to the beer.

S: CCC

III

TTT

RRR

UUU

SSS

!!!

Grapefruit, pineapple, tangerine, apricot, perfume. I see someone scribbled "fuckin' beautiful" on my notes -- probably largadeer. I agree.

T: Dry, incredibly clean citrus flavors. It reminds me of the pops I'd make out of frozen orange juice as a kid, with overtones of grapefruit, pineapple, tangerines, apricot, mango, and some sugar cookie sweetness. This is one of the fruitiest IPAs I have ever had, and in 3 glasses of it all I could focus on was the wonderful melange of citrus.

M: Medium bodied. It's not viscous. Dry and smooth, just incredibly silky. I'm really blown away. It's a little unsatisfying by lacking viscosity, but I also don't need a heavy beer all the time.

D: This beer is amazing. I am not prone to giving high scores, and for a while I was considering violating my own standards and giving this all 5s. If it weren't for the cloudy appearance, this would be an across-the-board perfect beer. Its affordable price is just a plus. I'd drink the s*** out of this thing if I lived locally. Seek this out.

Citra from Kern River Brewing Company