Winter Ale (5th Anniversary Ale) | Kern River Brewing Company

Winter Ale (5th Anniversary Ale)Winter Ale (5th Anniversary Ale)

Kern River Brewing Company
kernriverbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Brewed with Nugget, Falconer's flight, Simcoe, and Citra.

Added by soughtbygod on 05-14-2011

4.92/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured a cloudy orange/copper. It's a GREAT head that finally dissipates after a few minutes but leaves a sticky heavy lacing. Oily hops purely smell of CITRA that is what is EXPECTED from a CRAZY West Coast Imperial IPA. Very Hop Foward with a Great Malt back bone that gives a wonderful mouth feel. Couldn't get any better of a body with the Hops that have been used. Like I said, Very hoppy bitter taste, BUT! Enough body to give it a nice "swirl" around in the mouth without having it leave so fast. I LOVE THIS BEER. If KRBC's CITRA (which I never had, but WILL this year for sure since there bottling it) is even close to this, I could understand WHY they have such HIGH ratings! I LOVE THIS DIPA. I bought 2 bombers and went back for another 2 the next day at Liquor Mart Whittier. Come to find out they were already SOLD OUT! The finsih has a Nice long hoppy, oily ifinish of Citra hops and VERY FRUITY! A touch of Flowers but this is pure Citrus and Fruits! A+

4.92/5  rDev +11.3%

On-tap at the Bruery 3rd Anniversary fest. I had to go back for at least 5 or 6 tasters of it because it was so good.

Pours dark yellow with two finger off white head. Huge lacing all the way to the bottom and great head retention.

Smells like peach, apricot, grapefruit, and a touch of grass. Great aromatic use of Amarillo. So perfect on the nose. Rivals Pliny and other world class IPA's.

Tastes bitter up front, light citrus flavors in the middle. Aprocot is strong as are peach and grapefruit. Finishes dry and warming. The small amount of grassy hops used also contribute to a complex hop profile. There is hardly any malt to be tasted, which is exactly how I like my IPA's: dry and bitter.

Carbonation and body are medium. Mouthfeel is almost creamy. This one is a huge winner.

Overall, I would drink this any day it was available. Unfortunately I probably won't get my hands on it to try again. Sigh. Cheers to Kern, while I'm not a huge fan of Just Outstanding, this beer lives up to that name.

Edit 3/3/12. Changed smell and overall to five. This is my favorite beer.

4.92/5  rDev +11.3%

Looks great. Thick full head. Sticks to the glass as it dissipates.
Smells fantastic. Fresh hops. Citrus, grapefruit.... (What? Grapefruit is a citrus?) Very inviting.
Tastes super fresh. Front is all fresh chewy floral hops. Finish is a good strong bitterness. Really wonderful. Going down way too easy.
Mouthfeel is perfect. Luscious enough to coat the cheeks with hoppiness and dry out with a good West Coast bitterness.
I can't believe how fast I crushed this bomber. Leaves me longing for more.

4.9/5  rDev +10.9%

This is an amazing beer. It was just released yesterday. And it is by far one of the best DIPA's that I have ever had. It had a thick frothy slight off white foam that dissipates rather quickly, but leaves real nice lacing. It is Dark orange in color, and smells wonderful. It has plentiful hop character when you drink it but is nicely balance by the malt. I would recommend this beer to any IPA lover out there it is a winner.

4.88/5  rDev +10.4%

Slightly hazy amber color with a solid 1+cm head with excellent retention and lacing.

Bright, fresh, Lovely nose full of tropical fruit,citrus and pineapple.

Flavor follows the nose quite well but evenbetter. Just amazing. Bright, fresh and wonderful citrus, tropical fruit with pineapple with just a touch of sweetness to balance it all out, but not a typical malt sweetness. More of a natural fruit, sweetness.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied. Fresh and crisp with med-high carb.

This is an amazing beer. Such a great representation of the style and the amazing ipas we have here in Cali. Not quite as good as Citra, but I'd drink this every day if I could!

4.88/5  rDev +10.4%

Thanks to Rick at Old Town Liqour for stocking some great IPAs. Picked this up the other night and was down right impressed with it and felt it needed to be reviewed. An inch of head on an agressive pour into my Stone pint glass. Color is pretty much what you would expect from a DIPA. Smell of mango, pine and a little sweet butterscotch. Mouthfeel is amazing and the taste is ... Well its outstanding! Think of this beer like Port Brewery's Mongo meets Firestone's Double Jack. Easily competes with Pliny in my book, cant taste the alcohol and at 8% thats dangerous. I picked up 2 more bombers today cause I know they wont last long. Highly recommended!

Winter Ale (5th Anniversary Ale) from Kern River Brewing Company