Winter Ale (5th Anniversary Ale) | Kern River Brewing Company

Winter Ale (5th Anniversary Ale)Winter Ale (5th Anniversary Ale)

Kern River Brewing Company
kernriverbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Brewed with Nugget, Falconer's flight, Simcoe, and Citra.

Added by soughtbygod on 05-14-2011

Reviews: 101 | Ratings: 362
4.54/5  rDev +2.7%

Picked this up today because I love Just Outstanding so I knew they would be doing great things with their anniversary brew.

Poured a nice slightly hazy copper hue with a tight one finger head that left some nice sheets of lace on my Duvel tulip.

Aroma was super potent with pineapple, peach, mango aromas all being present as well as a grassy hop aroma present in the back.

Taste was totally a tropical fruit hop medley. Mango, papaya, and pineapple round out the hoppy flavors while a nice caramel malt backbone even things out.

There is no harshness from either hops or alcohol and this is the perfect summer beer. Kern River continues to crank out awesome beers from a small space and I will continue to buy everything they put out.

4.32/5  rDev -2.3%

A: A little cloudy with a off-white colored head; clears up after a few minutes though.

S: Orange and tropical citrus are evident up front. Nothing other than that comes to fruition after that. Robust and slightly complex are the best descriptives for this brew.

T: The hop characteristics (orange and grapefruit flavors), not necessarily the bitterness, hit the palate first. The tail of the beer has a strong grainy quality that balances all the hop flavors that are abundant in this beer.

M: Medium body with a slight dry finish.

O: A very good DIPA. I'm a big fan of PtE and Alpine IPA's, and I truly feel this can compete on the same level. A must try! Cheers!

4.85/5  rDev +9.7%

A: Pours a lovely golden brown, maybe two shades lighter than the bottle itself. Head is full and excited at first, but dies down into a 1 finger head and simmers lower. Beautiful lacing for a DIPA. This looks good.

S: A fruit and berry cocktail with only the finest trace of hops. If the smell is any preview to the taste this is a world class winner of a DIPA.

T: I think this one would break the hearts of many. Again, wonderful and slight hop bitterness with a deeply sweet core. Many beers give traces of various fruits, but this one could be its own fruit and a damned good one at that. Mysterious, full, juicy, refreshing, crisp, so many things at once. Scrambling for better words but none come to mind.

M: The Alpine IPAs tend to have a more refreshing mouthfeel and I'd still say that in comparison. All I can say about this mouthfeel, though, is that it seems absolutely perfect and appropriate for delivering the flavor that it does. Scent, taste, and mouthfeel combined, this is a monster DIPA.

O: I was honestly let down kind of hard by Just Outstanding so I approached this with a lot of skepticism. That said, I was blown out of the water. This is the best DIPA I've ever had, easily, and I wouldn't be shocked to find out it's the best in the world (though I've heard from some that their Citra is even better..). This looks Pliny look like Budweiser Select. If you take IPAs/DIPAs seriously this is an unexcusable must.

4.74/5  rDev +7.2%

A- Aggressive pour produces a 1-1/2 finger white head that recedes rather quick and leaves some pretty nice lacing. Beer is golden in color

S- The hops are definitely the showcase here. This smells excellent. One of the best smelling beers I've ever had the joy of smelling. Citrus, pine, slight sweetness. Very fresh hop smell.

T- Slight bitterness upfront is greeted by almost like a candied hop taste in the middle and finishes slightly bitter in the end. What a great beer! There are hints of pine, tangerine, orange zest, grapefruit, and a little sweetness from the malt in their balancing the whole thing out. The malt is in perfect balance, not overused as to take away from this excellent hop profile, and not underused either. No alcohol taste whatsoever. Great Job Kern! I wish I could have one of these everyday!

M- Nice carbonation and velvety texture. Good weight to it

O- Great beer. Highly drinkable at 8%. Every sip leaves you wanting more. I've been spoiled in the last week with the DIPA's I've had. This and Abrasive are the top of their class.

4.8/5  rDev +8.6%

Shared with Klym, SundaySour, and family on a weekend session! Ah the weekend, at last.

Poured into Stone Nonic.

A: Deep neon honey with swirling solar flares of more intense oranges. Yellow sap edges out the glass. Two and a half finger head rounds out the visual.

S: Tropical fruits with some juicy peach flesh. The smell lingers on mango and passion fruit. Guava in the nose makes me salivate. A brief cameo by some cantaloupe melon. Delicious fruit salad smells, nothing is left out!

T: Um? WOOOW! I was not ready for this. BRB taking a breath. Okay back, this is truly a matador beer from Kern River. drastically different tastes from the smell, but not in a bad way AT ALL. Extremely bright candied rinds flavor the palate with such richness that you half expect there to be some phantom pulp swishing around in your mouth. There is a polygamist marriage of all citrus fruits; where even sweet limes are given a brides maids role in the wedding. Just an incredible citrus juice napalm bomb. Floral hops make an amazing bed for the rest of the flavors to lay upon. Hops welcome some juniper. I give up, this beer is all on it's own, it is just a prismatic flavor experience.

M: the mouth-feel is oh so effervescent. Slow release of tingling wonderment. The sensation matches the zesty spritzing of citrus throughout. Really just so spot on.

O: If I worked at Kern river, I'd feel I could retire after brewing such a precious gem. I will not rant (you think this is ranting? you should have heard me when I tried this). This is perfection. One of the best DIPAs I've ever had. A high throne sits among the other greats. Trade your first born to try this.

4.31/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Golden yellow with off white head. Good retention and some lacing.

S: Tangerines mainly. Pine and spicy hops with pineapple and a bit of mango. Some sweet malt in the back.

T: Grapefruit pineapple bite upfront. A very brief presentation of a sweet peach and malt flavor. Pine, spicy hop, and a touch of alcohol in the back end.

M: Medium bodied with medium-light carbonation. Carbonation is fine. Drying.

O: I'm pretty sure this beer is a bit older than I would like but it held up nicely.

4.38/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

L: Dark gold color and hazy. Good amount of thick white head.
S: Pine and a bunch of citrus flavors come through.
T: Pine and resin up front followed by some orange and tangerine.
F: thick feel for a IPA and doesnt feel too carbonated.
O: Really solid west coast style double IPA, would definitely drink again.

4.61/5  rDev +4.3%

Big thanks to Mike over at Glendale Whole Foods hanging on to a few bottles for me since I was out of town when this arrived.

Pours a cloudy orange that turns to a florescent straw like yellow when I hold it up to the light. A semi aggressive pour left me a beautiful two finger egg shell head. The head sat around for quite a long time and then settled to a cap that stayed fairly thick around the edges. Left gobs of sticky lacing on my Duvel Green glass. Absolutely stunning.

Quite subtle in the aroma. Definite notes of sweet malts, tropical fruits, pineapple, orange peel, pine, and some floral notes. You really have to get into the glass to pick these up though.

For whatever the smell lacked, the taste made up for. Absolutely flawless taste in my opinion. Upfront with the sweet tropical fruit base, followed by a nice grapefruit and citrus centered. The taste is closed out by that beautiful piney, dry, and hoppy finish. Outstanding taste to this one.

Mouthfeel is somewhat scary. I was shooting a BM to LSUPT and poured this right before I started. I realized by the time I finished my first glass which was roughly 11 oz, I wasn't even halfway done with what I was writing. Probably took me 3 minutes to finish those 11 ounces. This is insanely drinkable. I pick up no alcohol, it is lightly carbonated, and medium bodied. Spot on for the style.

I beg you, Kern River, please make this a year round offering. If not that, at least a seasonal or surprise us with bottles from time to time. This was an outstanding beer and I really hope its not a one time thing.

4.5/5  rDev +1.8%

All around one of the best DIPA's I've had the honor of putting in my mouff...

A)Peachy gold, with a nice head, good lacing, and retention like a mofo...

S) Citric fruit, sweet almost candy-like malt, and an all-around balance that surpasses the bitter in-your-face hop bomb DIPA's on the market right now.

T- Crisp, fruity, sweet, and hoppy. Wow, there is a lot going on, but it is not overwelming whatsoever. Hides the alcohol very well, and doesn't sacrifice any body!

M- Exceptional balance, and a clean lasting finish. Lemme stress clean...clean...Mr. Clean...

O- Very good DIPA. Can't put my finger on a single thing I'd change on it :D.

Cheers, Kern!

4.67/5  rDev +5.7%

3 bombers received in trade with soughtbygod, thanks much Thomas.

Poured into my dfh snifter glass. Pours a nice bright copper color with a big soapy head. Smell is excellent, plenty of tropical notes, lots of orange peel, mango and peach scents. Very nice tasting brew, very balanced attack on the taste buds. Tends to lean more towards the citrus side of things and its very enjoyable. Excellent mouthfeel. Overall this is an excellent example of the double ipa style. Very drinkable beer with no hint of abv at all. Kern river really makes some nice ipa's and I really enjoy their beers when I am able to obtain them through trade. Highly recommended.

4.62/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Golden orange with some haze. Pours a thinner head than most DIPA's.

Smell: Wow. I literally caught a whiff of it within seconds of cracking the bottle. Lots and lots of pine. Really smells like I went skiing and crashed into an evergreen tree and I love it. Some citrus notes but lots of good clean non-bitter pine.

Taste: The first thing that comes to my mind is incredibly hoppy but done incredibly well with the perfect hop to malt balance. I'm not a huge fan of grapefruit bombs (ithica flower power ect.) and this was right up my alley. Some nice sweetness comes through. I get some nice Orange notes.

Mouthfeel: Thinner than most DIPA's, a good amount of carbonation. The feel is really nice and it does a great job of moving the flavors around.

Overall: A fantastic beer. One of the best,DIPA's. There is a fantastic amount of pine without the bitter grapefruit. There is a nice sweetness and orange to the beer that pairs really well with the pine. It's remarkably well put together and balanced.

4.34/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

[Poured into a generic pint glass]

I: When I see a bottle from Kern, I usually pick one up without much thought taking into account that they are kind of a rare beer at the store. While I've never been impressed by their brews, I'm usually satisfied. Here's to hoping to be impressed by their Winter Ale. [Update]: I believe there was a labeling error(it has the Winter Rye Ale) and instead got the 5th anniversary winter ale. Appearance and taste do not reflect the label on my bottle based on other descriptions.

B: [8.00% ABV 1 Pint 6 FL OZ 2013 Bottle] This isn't the most attention grabbing bottle by them I've seen. That said, it has winter written all over it(snow and flakes). Label is missing that glossy feel that I've come across in previous brews. As for info, the label leaves much to be desired. No back story, abv, brief description other than winter ale, etc.. Overall it's not the shelf worthy at this point, unless it can amaze during my taste.

A: Orange transparent body with a bubbly white head that settles into a thin layer of cream(slow dissipation), and good lacing.

S: Orange citrus and cascade hops.

T: Loads a big spicy citrus(enhanced by carbonation as well) with slight creamy sweet malt, slight sour lemon zest,orange, and grapefruit.

M: slick/crisp finish, medium body, medium carbonation, and little apparent alcohol.

O: Very tasty and drinkable DIPA with great citrus presence. There's no going wrong with picking up a bottle of this stuff. While I'm confident that my bottle is the 5th Anniversary Winter Ale IPA, I can't be 100% sure do to a mislabel. Whatever it is, I could drink it all day. I would recommend and buy again.

4.9/5  rDev +10.9%

This is an amazing beer. It was just released yesterday. And it is by far one of the best DIPA's that I have ever had. It had a thick frothy slight off white foam that dissipates rather quickly, but leaves real nice lacing. It is Dark orange in color, and smells wonderful. It has plentiful hop character when you drink it but is nicely balance by the malt. I would recommend this beer to any IPA lover out there it is a winner.

4.58/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured into an over-sized Mother Earth Snifter

Slightly aggressive pour yielded a big soapy 3 or 4 finger head with a light and hazy light orange color. So far so good.

Smell - grapefruit, some pine so far so good

Taste - Yea Boy! citrus up front - grapefruit, orange rind, then a good West Coast dose of Pine and resin but not even close to overpowering the citrus - So far so GREAT

Mouthfeel - Worldclass-smooth, creamy, did I say smooth
Overall - Thank you sir may I have another! World class DIPA!

Fresh January 2012 batch...in fact the place I drank this had received cases the day after bottling...
Wow, another very solid very drinkable beer from KRBC (all their beer is solid and drinkable). I only wish they brewed this as a regular offering. But what I hear from Kyle Smith is that they will brew a few more batches this month, so at least its going to be around a bit longer. This DIPA is different from Citra, but just as delicious. In fact, I personally may like this just a tad better than Citra, which is hard because thats one delicious beer. This beer is very close to Lawson's Double Sunshine (which by the way I also gave 5/5 rating). But Kyle likes his IPA/DIPA to have a light orange tint and a bit hazy, which makes it look so damn beautiful in a clear (non frosted mind you) pint glass catching the sunshine as it sets for the evening. I just cant wait to grab a few more this weekend at my favorite BBQ spot, Red House BBQ.
Well done guys!

Had it on tap at Toronado, S.D. and had multiple bottles.

This is just an amazing beer. It looks, smells and tastes phenomenal. A lot of hops and citrus and tangerine - all with a subtle hop bite - my favorite style of IPA.

World class folks. Try and acquire this at all costs.

Just picked up a couple of super fresh bottles today. My first time witht this brew.

Initial impact is the gorgeous sunset orange color topped with a creamy fluffy one head bright white head, absolutely beautiful looking beer.

Nose is outrageous ! Kern can really make some amazingly perfumed brews and this is no exception. My all time favorite nose would be their Citra and though different it's still as intense and magnificent as Citra. If the amps went to 11 on the taste amps then this is where I would score this brew. Crazy fresh orange, tangerines, sweet juicy red grapefruit and just enough bitter kick from the hops to create one of the best tasting beers I have ever had, bravo Kyle, you really know how to make DIPA's that are approachable and so refreshingly balanced. The mouth is crisp, bone dry and totally refreshing, it begs for more. I had high hopes for this brew having been very fortunate to get my fair share of all the Kern beers and it not only didn't disappoint it blew me away just as Citra did. Simply amazing craft beer, world class in every respect.

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

light straw color is not particularly inviting, nor is the light malt nose. Light carbonation, light hop and light malt make for a very well balanced and easy drinking ipa that is not particularly double in abv or flavor but subtly comforting warming and Kern

4.77/5  rDev +7.9%

Its enough when my favorite double IPA and overall beer is Kern's Citra but can lightning strike twice? Well I would think after drinking this beer that it can.

Appearance: This has a nice beautiful orange color with some slight haziness to it. It has a nice half inch white head to it that never goes away completely the whole time you are drinking this.

Smell: This is where Kern seems to really have it in spades. I won't say it smells as completely awesome as Kern Citra but its barely behind. Mostly a orange noise with a little mango and apricot. No real malt smell to it.

Taste: This is once again a great, balanced beer. Lots of citrus in the front of the palate -- mostly orange with a little bitter orange rind. I think this might be slightly less bitter than Citra and maybe a little more malt to it-- just barely. You get a little malt in the after taste to mellow out the hop bitterness but overall its one hell of a easy drinker.

Mouthfeel: Nice amount of carbonation that seems to balance out all the nice tropical citrus flavor along with the slight malt backbone this Double has.

Overall: Well I can now say that without a doubt Kern River by a decent margin is my favorite brewery when it comes to Double IPA's. Kyle really knows how to put a masterful, double IPA together. Wish I could get a recipe from Kyle for a double IPA. I didn't know what to expect with such high expectations after having Citra and Just Outstanding but I can say now that between Citra and 5th anniversary it does not get any better. I would put both of their double IPA's in my top 5 favorite Double IPA's. Probably actually in my top 3 favorite doubles. Way to go Kyle. Can't wait to come up and check out the brewery when the bottles of Citra are released. Wish someone would correct the alcohol percentage on this beer which is 8 percent not 7--yes I have sent in a correction change. Kern River is the epitome of what a small brewery can do -- deliver Big Flavor!

4.7/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I heard about this one from the Kern River Brewing Facebook page, when they stated their Anniversary beer was to be released at their brewery on Friday May 13th and it was going to be an 8% ABV, 78 IBU DIPA using Facloner's Flight hops. And once I heard it was being bottled, I knew I had to get some bottles.

And today I did. No ABV stated on label, but I'd take their word that it is 8% and not the 7% as it is listed here on BA, thus putting it firmly in Double IPA territory.

But open the bottle to get a nose full of mango, peach, and grapefruit straight out of the bottle before I pour it into my tulip glass to see a slightly hazy gold-orange color with a tight foamy white head that clings to the glass as I drink it. I go in for another smell only to get hit with that incredible aroma for a second time, and it's incredible.

After drinking the first half of the bomber, and it's damn near perfect. Not a hint of alcohol heat, dry finish, smooth bitterness, the main flavor I keep getting is fresh sweet yellow peaches, but also mandarins, apricot, dare I say papaya, and Hawaiian sweet bread. I want to drink this in sunshine.

Pleasantly carbonated, nice smooth mouthfeel.

One of the best DIPA's I've ever had. I wish I could get more bottles, and/or that this gets brewed again. Really a special beer.

4.72/5  rDev +6.8%

A - This beer pours a hazy light-golden color, a bit like a light raw honey--unfiltered, a bit cloudy--straw colored. It has a large, 3-finger, yellowish-white head that diminishes to a much smaller, thin head over time. The head is almost describable as neon in color--as if the amount of hops used in the beer gave the head a slightly neon yellow tinge. Very beautiful and different for a double IPA.

S - The smell is incredible! It is so fresh and pure (mind you, this bottle was consumed the day it was released). The hops are so apparent but rather hard to describe. I've read that they used Falconer's Flight and Citra hops. They are citrusy and floral yet herbacious. It is reminiscent of fresh springtime floral pastures, chamomile, and other herbs. The hops are definitely the shining star in the smell, but they take on many dimensions.

T - First taste is unbelievable! So fruity, fresh and delicious! Again the taste is rather hard to pinpoint, just as the smell. But it tastes of light honey, fruitiness from the hops, maybe pine and thyme in minimal quantities. The beer is best enjoyed cold, straight from the fridge. As it warms, the alcohol peers its head above the floral/fruity sweetness.

M - It is moderately carbonated with a medium thickness in the mouth. The sweetness sort of lingers at the beginning, and then your mouth is left a little dry--tasting the bitterness of the hops more.

O - This bottle was had on the day they released the new bottles of this stuff. The release party isn't until tomorrow. I feel so lucky to live so nearby a brewery that is producing some of the most amazing IPAs and DIPAs around (and by "around," I mean the entire country). The process in which they add hops and the types of hops used are distinctly different from other breweries. I would venture to say that this is the best beer I've had from KRBC, beating their Citra DIPA. But seriously, in order to get the real experience of their beers (particularly their DIPAs)...they must be consumed fresh!

4.88/5  rDev +10.4%

Thanks to Rick at Old Town Liqour for stocking some great IPAs. Picked this up the other night and was down right impressed with it and felt it needed to be reviewed. An inch of head on an agressive pour into my Stone pint glass. Color is pretty much what you would expect from a DIPA. Smell of mango, pine and a little sweet butterscotch. Mouthfeel is amazing and the taste is ... Well its outstanding! Think of this beer like Port Brewery's Mongo meets Firestone's Double Jack. Easily competes with Pliny in my book, cant taste the alcohol and at 8% thats dangerous. I picked up 2 more bombers today cause I know they wont last long. Highly recommended!

4.7/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had to choose this as my first review. 22oz bottle poured into a Weyerbacher tulip

Appearance: Pours a hazy honey color with a nice 2-3 fingers of cottonlike fluffy head that slowly recedes into a nice evenly distributed surface coating. A nice web of lacing on the glass as I continue to enjoy this brew.

Smell: Citrus and more citrus w/ possibly some pine.

Taste: Wow this beer is fresh as it was recently bottled. Citrus fruits being the dominant feature here. Mainly grapefruit with some traces of lemon and possibly orange. Finish is nice and piney. There is a nice hop bitterness throughout that is not too overwhelming. Nice balance here.

Mouthfeel: Moderate crisp carbonation and medium body. Very refreshing and enjoyable.

Overall: I loved this beer and I wish I traded for more than one bottle. I cannot wait to have their Citra.

4.03/5  rDev -8.8%

Pours a typical dipa color that you've read about many times--golden, mildly cloudy. It looks great.

I drank this directly after the Kern River Citra Dipa. Clearly not as citrusy as the Citra. That's not a bad thing, just a way to compare. I think my bottle is a few months old so I'm thinking the hop has faded. It smells mainly of malt with pine in the background.

Taste is a good, solid dipa. A good beer I could drink a lot of. Piney hops with a solid malt background. A mild sweetness in the background. Grassy and some faint lemon. More malt as it warms.

Overall: Certainly worth having but not something to drive many miles for or trade away favorites for. If you can get Hopslam each January, you're better off stocking up. Year old Hopslam is a better beverage than this one and reasonably well distributed.

4.92/5  rDev +11.3%

Looks great. Thick full head. Sticks to the glass as it dissipates.
Smells fantastic. Fresh hops. Citrus, grapefruit.... (What? Grapefruit is a citrus?) Very inviting.
Tastes super fresh. Front is all fresh chewy floral hops. Finish is a good strong bitterness. Really wonderful. Going down way too easy.
Mouthfeel is perfect. Luscious enough to coat the cheeks with hoppiness and dry out with a good West Coast bitterness.
I can't believe how fast I crushed this bomber. Leaves me longing for more.

Winter Ale (5th Anniversary Ale) from Kern River Brewing Company