Winter Ale (5th Anniversary Ale) | Kern River Brewing Company

Winter Ale (5th Anniversary Ale)Winter Ale (5th Anniversary Ale)

Kern River Brewing Company
kernriverbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Brewed with Nugget, Falconer's flight, Simcoe, and Citra.

Added by soughtbygod on 05-14-2011

Reviews: 101 | Ratings: 362
3.8/5  rDev -14%

Huge thanks to schmoopsbeer for getting this bottle out to me. Served in a Russian River "TION" glass.

Pours an apricot-orange color with a good white head and some nice spotty lacing on the way down. The nose carries a fairly-aggressive amount of tropical and citrus hops. Not much malt there at all, which is a good sign. The flavor is all hops with some citrus and then some additional tropical character. Not over the top hop character, but definitely quite nice. No noticeable malt, other than a bit in the feel. Medium body with good carbonation and a bitter finish. Really nice DIPA, though doesn't rise to the level of their Citra.

4.33/5  rDev -2%

22 oz poured into a tulip glass. Big thanks to DearthVader

A- Pours a hazy orange with a nice fluffy two finger head. Leaves thin lines of lacing.

S- Lot's of citrus upfront with some grapefruit and orange and some tropical notes including pineapple and mango with some pine and caramel malt as well

T- Citrus hops including mandarine, orange peel and grapefruit with pineapple, mango apricots, peach and melon. Hint of pine and floral hops with some nice caramel malt backbone.

M- Medium carbonation and body, Sticky and slightly dry finish. Very drinkable.

O- Another great IPA from Kern River. Great tropical and citrus notes with very little bitterness. Really excited to try the Citra when it comes out. Highly recommended.

Thanks again Brian!

4.77/5  rDev +7.9%

Its enough when my favorite double IPA and overall beer is Kern's Citra but can lightning strike twice? Well I would think after drinking this beer that it can.

Appearance: This has a nice beautiful orange color with some slight haziness to it. It has a nice half inch white head to it that never goes away completely the whole time you are drinking this.

Smell: This is where Kern seems to really have it in spades. I won't say it smells as completely awesome as Kern Citra but its barely behind. Mostly a orange noise with a little mango and apricot. No real malt smell to it.

Taste: This is once again a great, balanced beer. Lots of citrus in the front of the palate -- mostly orange with a little bitter orange rind. I think this might be slightly less bitter than Citra and maybe a little more malt to it-- just barely. You get a little malt in the after taste to mellow out the hop bitterness but overall its one hell of a easy drinker.

Mouthfeel: Nice amount of carbonation that seems to balance out all the nice tropical citrus flavor along with the slight malt backbone this Double has.

Overall: Well I can now say that without a doubt Kern River by a decent margin is my favorite brewery when it comes to Double IPA's. Kyle really knows how to put a masterful, double IPA together. Wish I could get a recipe from Kyle for a double IPA. I didn't know what to expect with such high expectations after having Citra and Just Outstanding but I can say now that between Citra and 5th anniversary it does not get any better. I would put both of their double IPA's in my top 5 favorite Double IPA's. Probably actually in my top 3 favorite doubles. Way to go Kyle. Can't wait to come up and check out the brewery when the bottles of Citra are released. Wish someone would correct the alcohol percentage on this beer which is 8 percent not 7--yes I have sent in a correction change. Kern River is the epitome of what a small brewery can do -- deliver Big Flavor!

4.12/5  rDev -6.8%

Bottle shared with starrdogg, thanks Matt. I think we both agreed this beer was good, but WAY overhyped.

A: Nice orange color with pretty good lacing and not much head, nice hazy look to it though.

S: Very juicy and full of citrus, the smell also combines some pine, tropical fruit and woodsy forest aromas. Some sugary fruits compliment nicely, overall a great IPA that I'm into.

T: Good overall, but does not match to complexity and density of the smell. A lot of bready malt to finish and nice citrus, tropical fruit pulp, and grass hops up front, overall theres a sugary sweetness that prevails in the flavor as well. A little overly sweet and fruity, but still nice.

M: Sweet and semi dry.

Overall good, but overhyped. Personally, if I'd trade for hops in CA it will be for Alpine all the way.

4.53/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. An unexpected treat from DearthVader.

A - Orange body with a big eggshell colored head. Lots of sticky lacing on the sides of the glass. That is a nice looking beer

S - Nice mango and other tropical fruit notes, a little bit of citrus like aroma and a hint of sweetness

T - Boy am I glad I got to try this. The flavor follows in the footsteps of the aroma. Nice fruity notes, almost like drinking a smoothie. mango with a little orange rind. A pale malt backbone that just sticks a nice light grain flavor in at the finish. Not really bitter but not sweet either this thing is the epitome of balance. After reading up about the Falconer's Flight hops used in this you can really see how they all add something to this especially the Citra and Sorachi Ace. I think the Sorachi Ace really peeks through in the finish mingling with the malt to give you a nice grainy taste.

M - medium bodied, a good amount of carbonation. About what you'd expect in the beer.

O - What a fantastic beer. I would love to have this one again. I know this is an Anniversary beer but I really think Kern River should revisit this brew again.

4.12/5  rDev -6.8%

Big thanks to Thome50 for this bottle, shared with Dreadnaught33

A: Pours a slightly hazy light yellow/gold with a small white head and minimal lacing.

S: Alright, we are off to a good start here, smell is very nice, it's a nice mix of hops and citrus. It doesn't quite punch you in the face like some DIPAs, but I'm very impressed.

T: Taste is citrusy, hoppy and a little sweet. It's got nice balance, but this beer has no real hop bite to speak of. It's very easy to drink, but I want a little more hoppiness out of my DIPAs and this doesn't quite deliver.

M: Mouthfeel is light-to-medium bodied with good carbonation.

O: Another very good, but not incredible beer from Kern River here. I have to say that yet again (as I was with the Double Citra) I am a little disappointed in this beer. This one had a lot of the elements necessary to make a great DIPA, but just came up short on the bitter/hoppy side of things.

4.3/5  rDev -2.7%

22oz bottle into pint.

A - Pours a nice deep orange with yellow highlighted edging. 1.5 fingers stark white head, medium lacing. Looks good

S - All citric fruits! Juicy lemon, orange, grapefruit, tangerine, lime, and so on, very nice

T - Incredible flavour. Lots of fruits, actually, almost all fruits. Oranges, grapefruit, madarins, lemon, and I think even some nectarines (maybe not ;). A slight hint of pepper on the back end but this is a juicy, tasty beer

M - Fairly light beer, slightly tacky, ABV not noticeable.

O - Very refreshing, excellent summer beer. I had this out on the patio after a hot day and man did it hit the spot. Fantastic beer.

4.54/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Chilled bomber into a glass. Thanks, John!

A: Pours a hazy golden-orange body with a finger of short-lived off-white head. Not much lace to speak of, but there is a nice cap on top of the beer.

S: Tropical nose out the wazoo: peach, mango, passionfruit, cantaloupe. Good lord. This is precisely the hop profile that I love. It doesn't have any malt nose (a little would be nice).

T: This pulls all the elements of earlier Citra batches that I loved. It's a straight fruit flavor with no malt presence whatsoever. The tropical profile is absurd: peach, mango, cantaloupe, passionfruit, apricot, even a small lime finish. There is a small bitterness contributed by grassy hops.

M: Light-medium bodied. As usual per Kern's approach, this one isn't hefty or high in ABV. It's tasty nonetheless. I'd actually go easier on this category if they simply classified it as an IPA (which is a better descriptor for a 7% beer, IMO).

D: Please make more of this! Too bad they don't distribute. And I can understand why: it maintains freshness. But damn, I want more bottles.

4.8/5  rDev +8.6%

Shared with Klym, SundaySour, and family on a weekend session! Ah the weekend, at last.

Poured into Stone Nonic.

A: Deep neon honey with swirling solar flares of more intense oranges. Yellow sap edges out the glass. Two and a half finger head rounds out the visual.

S: Tropical fruits with some juicy peach flesh. The smell lingers on mango and passion fruit. Guava in the nose makes me salivate. A brief cameo by some cantaloupe melon. Delicious fruit salad smells, nothing is left out!

T: Um? WOOOW! I was not ready for this. BRB taking a breath. Okay back, this is truly a matador beer from Kern River. drastically different tastes from the smell, but not in a bad way AT ALL. Extremely bright candied rinds flavor the palate with such richness that you half expect there to be some phantom pulp swishing around in your mouth. There is a polygamist marriage of all citrus fruits; where even sweet limes are given a brides maids role in the wedding. Just an incredible citrus juice napalm bomb. Floral hops make an amazing bed for the rest of the flavors to lay upon. Hops welcome some juniper. I give up, this beer is all on it's own, it is just a prismatic flavor experience.

M: the mouth-feel is oh so effervescent. Slow release of tingling wonderment. The sensation matches the zesty spritzing of citrus throughout. Really just so spot on.

O: If I worked at Kern river, I'd feel I could retire after brewing such a precious gem. I will not rant (you think this is ranting? you should have heard me when I tried this). This is perfection. One of the best DIPAs I've ever had. A high throne sits among the other greats. Trade your first born to try this.

4.85/5  rDev +9.7%

A: Pours a lovely golden brown, maybe two shades lighter than the bottle itself. Head is full and excited at first, but dies down into a 1 finger head and simmers lower. Beautiful lacing for a DIPA. This looks good.

S: A fruit and berry cocktail with only the finest trace of hops. If the smell is any preview to the taste this is a world class winner of a DIPA.

T: I think this one would break the hearts of many. Again, wonderful and slight hop bitterness with a deeply sweet core. Many beers give traces of various fruits, but this one could be its own fruit and a damned good one at that. Mysterious, full, juicy, refreshing, crisp, so many things at once. Scrambling for better words but none come to mind.

M: The Alpine IPAs tend to have a more refreshing mouthfeel and I'd still say that in comparison. All I can say about this mouthfeel, though, is that it seems absolutely perfect and appropriate for delivering the flavor that it does. Scent, taste, and mouthfeel combined, this is a monster DIPA.

O: I was honestly let down kind of hard by Just Outstanding so I approached this with a lot of skepticism. That said, I was blown out of the water. This is the best DIPA I've ever had, easily, and I wouldn't be shocked to find out it's the best in the world (though I've heard from some that their Citra is even better..). This looks Pliny look like Budweiser Select. If you take IPAs/DIPAs seriously this is an unexcusable must.

4.92/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured a cloudy orange/copper. It's a GREAT head that finally dissipates after a few minutes but leaves a sticky heavy lacing. Oily hops purely smell of CITRA that is what is EXPECTED from a CRAZY West Coast Imperial IPA. Very Hop Foward with a Great Malt back bone that gives a wonderful mouth feel. Couldn't get any better of a body with the Hops that have been used. Like I said, Very hoppy bitter taste, BUT! Enough body to give it a nice "swirl" around in the mouth without having it leave so fast. I LOVE THIS BEER. If KRBC's CITRA (which I never had, but WILL this year for sure since there bottling it) is even close to this, I could understand WHY they have such HIGH ratings! I LOVE THIS DIPA. I bought 2 bombers and went back for another 2 the next day at Liquor Mart Whittier. Come to find out they were already SOLD OUT! The finsih has a Nice long hoppy, oily ifinish of Citra hops and VERY FRUITY! A touch of Flowers but this is pure Citrus and Fruits! A+

4.92/5  rDev +11.3%

On-tap at the Bruery 3rd Anniversary fest. I had to go back for at least 5 or 6 tasters of it because it was so good.

Pours dark yellow with two finger off white head. Huge lacing all the way to the bottom and great head retention.

Smells like peach, apricot, grapefruit, and a touch of grass. Great aromatic use of Amarillo. So perfect on the nose. Rivals Pliny and other world class IPA's.

Tastes bitter up front, light citrus flavors in the middle. Aprocot is strong as are peach and grapefruit. Finishes dry and warming. The small amount of grassy hops used also contribute to a complex hop profile. There is hardly any malt to be tasted, which is exactly how I like my IPA's: dry and bitter.

Carbonation and body are medium. Mouthfeel is almost creamy. This one is a huge winner.

Overall, I would drink this any day it was available. Unfortunately I probably won't get my hands on it to try again. Sigh. Cheers to Kern, while I'm not a huge fan of Just Outstanding, this beer lives up to that name.

Edit 3/3/12. Changed smell and overall to five. This is my favorite beer.

4.67/5  rDev +5.7%

3 bombers received in trade with soughtbygod, thanks much Thomas.

Poured into my dfh snifter glass. Pours a nice bright copper color with a big soapy head. Smell is excellent, plenty of tropical notes, lots of orange peel, mango and peach scents. Very nice tasting brew, very balanced attack on the taste buds. Tends to lean more towards the citrus side of things and its very enjoyable. Excellent mouthfeel. Overall this is an excellent example of the double ipa style. Very drinkable beer with no hint of abv at all. Kern river really makes some nice ipa's and I really enjoy their beers when I am able to obtain them through trade. Highly recommended.

4.61/5  rDev +4.3%

Big thanks to Mike over at Glendale Whole Foods hanging on to a few bottles for me since I was out of town when this arrived.

Pours a cloudy orange that turns to a florescent straw like yellow when I hold it up to the light. A semi aggressive pour left me a beautiful two finger egg shell head. The head sat around for quite a long time and then settled to a cap that stayed fairly thick around the edges. Left gobs of sticky lacing on my Duvel Green glass. Absolutely stunning.

Quite subtle in the aroma. Definite notes of sweet malts, tropical fruits, pineapple, orange peel, pine, and some floral notes. You really have to get into the glass to pick these up though.

For whatever the smell lacked, the taste made up for. Absolutely flawless taste in my opinion. Upfront with the sweet tropical fruit base, followed by a nice grapefruit and citrus centered. The taste is closed out by that beautiful piney, dry, and hoppy finish. Outstanding taste to this one.

Mouthfeel is somewhat scary. I was shooting a BM to LSUPT and poured this right before I started. I realized by the time I finished my first glass which was roughly 11 oz, I wasn't even halfway done with what I was writing. Probably took me 3 minutes to finish those 11 ounces. This is insanely drinkable. I pick up no alcohol, it is lightly carbonated, and medium bodied. Spot on for the style.

I beg you, Kern River, please make this a year round offering. If not that, at least a seasonal or surprise us with bottles from time to time. This was an outstanding beer and I really hope its not a one time thing.

4.6/5  rDev +4.1%

Another great CA IPA and big want from Brian.
Bomber to Duvel Green Tulip
I was a bit aggressive with the pour and got a nice 3 finger eggshell white head that gradually dissipated leaving some random lacing. A wonderful, deep straw yellow-orange body through which you can just barely see when held to light.

Smell is nice, maybe milder than when closer to the bottle date but still good, pine, caramel, grapefruit and pineapple all present, very sweet smelling as well.

Taste is phenomenal. Pine up front, fruity and floral in the middle and a lingering grapefruit bitterness. Mango, pineapple, orange peel and the kind of complexity of flavor that you love to see in a DIPA, and very drinkable, hard to notice any alcohol.

Mouthfeel is solid, on the low end carbonation wise, but I like that in this style.

The best DIPA I have reviewed to date and up there with the best I have tried period. This beer was a real treat, and definitely one that they should brew again.

4.29/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass.

A: Slightly hazy, light amber color with over one finger of diminishing white foam head. Heavy lacing remains on the glass.

S: Intensely hoppy, featuring lush tropical fruit, pine, and mixed citrus. Substantial caramel malt is also present, completing the excellent smell.

T: Begins off-dry, with layered hop aromatics consisting of early citrus that transitions through tropical fruit. While the citrus flavors tend slightly toward the darker, they retain a sense of balance with the brighter elements not being trod upon too much. The later tropical fruit, which combine with distinctly peach-like esters, becomes pungent, encompassing the entire palate. Sweetness also peaks late, further accentuating the juicy, over-ripe stone fruit flavors. Both acidity and bitterness are kept restrained, with the former peaking early then vanishing, and the latter lingering harmoniously in the finish. Malt never steps to the fore, although a thread of refined toasted grain tries to evade detection throughout.

M: Medium viscosity, sticky and slightly syrupy on the palate showing an early acid bite followed by slow heat, with low carbonation.

D/O: With its blue-ribbon smell, this DIPA from Kern River further establishes the brewer as one of the top-tier hop-handlers in the state of California. It is worthy of mention alongside the beers of Russian River and Alpine because of the intensity of hops and other qualities that serve subordinately in the shadows of the hops. Flavors tend to get hung up on the peach-centric middle; while appealing, its complexity seems constrained somewhat by this quality. It remains a compellingly consumable member of its style, with minimal wear on the palate that is aided by the relatively low abv. It has been much more enjoyable than last year's Belgian pale anniversary ale.

4.92/5  rDev +11.3%

Looks great. Thick full head. Sticks to the glass as it dissipates.
Smells fantastic. Fresh hops. Citrus, grapefruit.... (What? Grapefruit is a citrus?) Very inviting.
Tastes super fresh. Front is all fresh chewy floral hops. Finish is a good strong bitterness. Really wonderful. Going down way too easy.
Mouthfeel is perfect. Luscious enough to coat the cheeks with hoppiness and dry out with a good West Coast bitterness.
I can't believe how fast I crushed this bomber. Leaves me longing for more.

4.85/5  rDev +9.7%

Poured into a shaker pint. Pours a hazy orange almost hay color. Very nice sticky white head with tons of lacing.

Aroma is so hoppy citrus. Not the most aromatic I've had but very nice. Slight sweet aroma.

Taste is amazing. One of the best I've had and the best I've had is heady topper. Smooth dry and slightly sweet in the finish but with a super nice hop taste that is citrucy and a bit piny. I'm gunna need to find more of this before I can't any more.

Mouthfeel is nice and dry with a slight maltyness. Has that distinct hoppy beer mouthfeel that I love.

Another great IPA from Kern River. Still need to try Citra but Just Outstanding is good. Get it and try it. You won't be disappointed.

4.42/5  rDev 0%

I've been looking for this one for awhile without success so I was pretty happy to run across it by chance at my local bottle shop.

Bomber into my Hangar 24 snifter.

The beer pours a hazy orange/amber color with a couple of fingers of white foam. Nice lacing. The aroma hits me while I'm still pouring. A wave of citrusy, piney aroma graces my nostrils. This smells very good. Taste mirrors the nose. Big notes of grapefruit and orange with a piney bitterness that lingers on the palate. There's enough malt presence to keep things somewhat in check, but the emphasis here is clearly on the hop bill. The beer finishes bitter and dry, which I like in an IPA. Mouthfeel is medium with enough carbonation to lend a slight creaminess to the beer. Overall this is another solid offering from Kern River. It's darned good and I'd certainly have it again.

Note: I can't find an ABV percentage noted on the label and I'm wondering about the DIPA designation due to the 7% rating listed on BA. Curious...

3.85/5  rDev -12.9%

Tulip glass.

Pours a light amber gold with three and a half fingers of white foam, nice tiny bubbles. Good lacing. Smells of citrus and tropical fruit (mango, fresh pineapple rind). Taste is similar, with a moderately bitter finish. Carbonation is too light, and so this lacks any crispness or bite. Something about the body lacks heft; maybe it's the absence of malt? In any case, this is pretty tasty, but the lack of carbonation takes away from my enjoyment.

Pours a light golden orange. Big white frothy foam head.

Smells overwhelmingly of bittering, pungent, almost floral/overwhelming grapefruit rind with a smidgen of generalized citrus and a hint of pine.

Taste is a blistering assault of pure grapefruit rind ... really no lush tropical or fruit flavors to found, just straight-forward bitter citrus with some pine. No malt content, at all. Kind of disappointed in that, as this beer needs some balance. If you're going to be this hop forward, at least a bit of complexity to the hops would be nice.

Okay. Drinkable.

4.03/5  rDev -8.8%

Bottle consumed at the brewpub because they didn't have anymore on draft.

A: The pour is a nice golden amber color with a rather large, fluffy whot head. Lots of sticky lacing to go with it.

S: Intense nose of pine, grapefruit, tangerine, and orange peels. Almost no malt character to it at all. There is a nice floral quality to it as well. Perhaps even a bit of perfume.

T: The bitterness almost dominates the flavor. There is a nice grapefruit flavor to it and plenty of pine, too. A decent enough citrus character and a light floral note.

M: Medium in body with a medium to high carbonation and a lingering bitterness.

O: This was slightly disappointing. It was certainly good, but it didn't blow me away.

4.62/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3/2/2012

I've had two more batches of this beer and it's awesome. I think I had just gotten over a cold when I initially reviewed it and that most likely affected my senses. Huge tropical aroma with a delicious juicy flavor. Really a stellar Double IPA. Light malt body but with just enough sweetness to fend off palate obliteration. Fantastic. Changing this from a 4.0 to a 4.6.

5/28/2011

When I heard that Kern River was releasing a beer for their fifth anniversary I was interested. When I heard they'd be doing a Double IPA specifically, my reaction was "I'd like to try that." So here I find myself at my desk typing this review, with a Lost Abbey snifter full of Kern River's Fifth Anniversary Double IPA, and now I'm thinking "this beer is far too cold, I wish I'd taken it out of the refrigerator twenty minutes ago because now I want to drink it. I should have timed this better." These are the idle musings of a man about to imbibe a fine beverage while waiting for dinner to be ready.

A: The beer is a burnished dark orange in the snifter. It's neither opaque nor transparent, but it's hazy enough to distort the scenery behind it. Perhaps it's some sort of chill haze, but I can't say for certain that I know what that means. The massive white head is bubbly and exhibits great retention. Hey, not bad. It invites me to take a drink.

S: Orange flesh, tangerine, melon, and stone fruit. Restrained tropical notes, mostly mango. Not exceptionally aromatic, but still pretty nice. No evident alcohol. Lightly sweet, but I can't pinpoint distinct malt aromas.

T: An abundance of hop flavor with a lower moderate level of bitterness. The hops are reminiscent of orange flesh, peach, mango, tangerine, and grapefruit. There's a hint of pine. Malt is subdued but it's there, though I can't pick out any distinct flavor that it imparts. On the whole, this is pretty mellow and enjoyable. Alcohol is well hidden. Very tame for a Double IPA.

M: Smooth and sticky. Lower medium in body with moderate carbonation.

Overall: I enjoyed this. It's not going to blow you away, but it's enjoyable and well made. Though, it's very mellow and at only 7% I'm not sure why they called this a Double IPA. It doesn't really do the beer credit. I think this probably deserve a 4.25 in a couple areas, but that's not an option.

4.32/5  rDev -2.3%

First off this particular batch I believe to be 8% not 7% abv as listed.

A: Pours a pale coppery yellow hue with the orange copper around the rim. Just a little bit of haze in the color. A powerful just off white sea foam head forms and fizzles down to just above the top of the liquid. Serious spiderwebs of lace are left behind.

S: Grapefruit zest and tangerine with just hints of pine and white peach. Smells fantastic.

T: Pale malt and bitter citrus meet. Hard to follow up that aroma, but the flavors are pretty good too. Soft Red and Yellow fruity notes as well as tongue numbing bitterness on the tongue is a welcomed effect. Light to medium body.

M: Tongue numbing, but a bit watery.

O: Quite good and reasonably priced. Absolutely worth $6.99 a bottle!

4.54/5  rDev +2.7%

Picked this up today because I love Just Outstanding so I knew they would be doing great things with their anniversary brew.

Poured a nice slightly hazy copper hue with a tight one finger head that left some nice sheets of lace on my Duvel tulip.

Aroma was super potent with pineapple, peach, mango aromas all being present as well as a grassy hop aroma present in the back.

Taste was totally a tropical fruit hop medley. Mango, papaya, and pineapple round out the hoppy flavors while a nice caramel malt backbone even things out.

There is no harshness from either hops or alcohol and this is the perfect summer beer. Kern River continues to crank out awesome beers from a small space and I will continue to buy everything they put out.

Winter Ale (5th Anniversary Ale) from Kern River Brewing Company