Ilzer Superior | Ilzer Sörgyar

Added by TheMistler on 09-03-2008

Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

3.67/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a .5L swing-top bottle, with a (very specific) freshness date of Sept. 26, '08 indicated (making it about a week beyond prime, though I wonder what the freshness date might say if I had gotten this beer in the U.S. rather than Hungary).

Clear, nice looking straw/gold, with a fair amount of bubbliness. Maybe a bit light in color for my taste, and even for the style. The head, white, displays some nice lacing and continuously refreshes a layer on top of the brew, though only a pinkies width initially revealed itself, and that dissipated fairly quickly.

A more malty aroma I had anticipated. The nose is something of a slightly sweetened cereal with moderate orange and grass notes.

Freshly cut grains up front, but with an undercurrent of roasted grains, as well. Spicy grass quality - a crisp, only oh-so-slightly bitter hoppiness, I reckon - builds throughout. Finishes slightly dry. It seems a bit rough around the edges. The nicely complimentary (and suitable for the style) flavors don't flow into each other as well as they might.

Rather (but not very) light in body, this pilsener is suitably carbonated and very crisp. I would not consider this to be a huge standout, but it is solid, and I am glad to have had the opportunity to try it.

Ilzer Superior from Ilzer Sörgyar