Smuttynose Bouncy House IPA | Smuttynose Brewing Company

smuttynose.com

Style: American IPA

Added by JayT on 11-19-2013

1.42/5  rDev -60%

Disclaimer: I absolutely LOVE Smuttynose. If I could get "Make Mine A Smutty!" tattooed across my back in the style of a biker's rocker, I would.

That being established, I'm sorry to say ... WTF WAS this!?

The only beer that literally made me choke, and spit out on the 2nd sip. There was no taste, because my gag reflex kicked in and made me reject it as soon as it hit the back of my throat.

I love you, Smuttynose, I really do. But, from the bottom of my heart - What in the blue fuck is going on with this?

2.04/5  rDev -42.5%

2.32/5  rDev -34.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Decent looking beer, but a very poor taste.

2.46/5  rDev -30.7%

Had this in a bottle. Seemed to be a bit skunky. Color was good. Once it aired a bit in my glass got better. I'm sure this is a better beer on tap.

2.68/5  rDev -24.5%

2.68/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Served in an Ohio State shaker pint glass.

Dammit, who doesn't love bouncy houses? Anyway, this stuff pours a clear brass topped by a finger of lightly off-white foam. The nose comprises mild pine resin, light grapefruit rind, and sweet biscuit. The taste brings in more of the same, the resin now dominantly bitter, musty, and dank, and some some soap ducking its head in far too often to maintain a friendly relationship. Wow, this tastes awkward. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a fluid feel. Overall, this beer did not do anything good for me at all. I get the idea of a hoppy, more sessionable brew, but here the hops not only take too much control of the proceedings, but they come across as inept, overly-resinous, soapy, and basement-entrapped. Quite the disappointment from the usually above-keel Smuttynose.

2.75/5  rDev -22.5%

Really light, without enough malt backbone to hold up the hop bitterness. Nose is freshing, almost soapy, but too much unbalanced bitterness for my tastes.

2.76/5  rDev -22.3%

2.8/5  rDev -21.1%

2.89/5  rDev -18.6%

This is a GRAPEFRUITY beer....the scent is so grapefruit is almost skunk like. The taste is bitter with grapefruit. The mouthfeel is lighter in body with smooth carbonation. I would not buy this again.

2.9/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Bright golden color yields a lot of carbonation and a fleeting head. The nose is a balance of malt and grapefruity hops but very light. The flavor is very bitter with a piney turn. I catch an opening of lemon, apricot and malt but then it turns to a hoppy oily resin. Not a fan of this beer as it delivers a 4.3 pct ABV and nearly wrecked my palate for the night.

Smuttynose Bouncy House IPA from Smuttynose Brewing Company