Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale | Smuttynose Brewing Company

New Hampshire, United States
smuttynose.com

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Availability: Fall

Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale is our homage to the craft and heritage of America’s brewers. Recipes calling for the use of pumpkins in beer date back to early colonial times, when brewers sought to extend their supply of costly imported malt with locally grown ingredients, such as squash and “pompions.”

In that spirit, we brew our ale with the addition of pumpkin to the mash, along with traditional spices to create a delicious American original.

Added by purplehops on 08-28-2003

Ratings: 1,895 |  Reviews: 851
4.44/5  rDev +19%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a true pumpkin beer.

The second of the season for me, it really restored my faith in this style.

Pours a hazy and deep burnt orange color, with a small but thick head, very solid lacing but little retention.

The smell is not overwhelming but beautifull. The comforting sweetness from the pumpkin is blissful.

The taste is not overdone. Pumpkin is the star, but it plays fairly with its buddy, beer. Really an incredible balance between beer and special guest. Unlike other pumpkin beers I've had, this stays true to natural pumpkin and not its overwhelmingly cinnamon flavored deserts.

The taste linger sweet, with equal hops, malt, and pumpkin.

Sometimes simplicity is divine.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Served in a Gale Sayers shaker pint glass.

First a bunch of O-Fests, now bunch o' pumpkin brews. Fall's fun, ain't it? This one pours a clear copper topped by a finger of dirty white foam. The nose comprises orange peel, cinnamon, nutmeg, caramel, light balsa, and a decent touch of minty pine. The taste holds notes of sharp pine, orange peel, light cinnamon, banana peel, greens, and pumpkin shell. Things are just a tad too bitter for this combination to actually work... The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a slick feel. Overall, this pumpkin beer just doesn't do it for me, what with the strange bitterness and lack of much of a pumpkin-ness.

3.13/5  rDev -16.1%

Served on-tap at Liberty Taproom in a standard pint glass.

A: Deep amber colored body with a dense, small light beige head. Initially the lacing was good, but the retention was almost non-existent after a few sips. It seems standard fair for a Pumpkin Ale, almost no lace or retention; sort of boring looking but it is what it is for the style.

S: Nutmeg, cinnamon, baked dough, roasted nuts and touches of generic pumpkin spice. There's a certain floral quality to it perhaps from the hops but it just doesn't seem to fit into the big picture of the aroma. It's not detracting from anything but just doesn't seem to mesh well with the other flavors.

T: Rich and flavorful pumpkin flesh and allspice come through first. A touch of nutmeg and the dryness of cinnamon are mid-palate. The back end is where this beer takes a drastic turn; it's full of a weird, off and completely out of place bitterness. It completely threw me off and like the nose, just doesn't work with the beer. It's a complete tangent from the flavor profile, and not in a good way. Dry and bitter in the finish.

M: Fairly bubbly and active with a typical medium body for the style. It's sort of smooth across the palate but does come across kind of dry in the finish. It could be from the funky bitterness towards the back palate.

Out of all the Pumpkin Ales I've tried so far, this is by far my least favorite of the bunch. Although not as overpowering, it did start off in the right direction but I can't get past the out of place bitterness towards the end. It doesn't blend well with the beer and throws everything off balance.

3.02/5  rDev -19%

A: Amber color with fluffy white head that has good retention and leaves behind a nice smattering of lacing.

S: The nose lives up to this being a pumpkin ale. The smell is really great, heavy on the pumpkin, lots of allspice and cinnamon, with a slight sweetness.

T: As good as the smell is, I find the taste of this bee rot be just dreadful. The dominant flavor is just bitterness, and not pleasant hop bitterness. The only thing that it reminds me of is when you cook with old spices and add too much and all you get is a deep, unpleasant bitterness. There's a little bit of pumpkin and allspice behind the bitterness, at least.

M: Medium bodied, relatively light on the carbonation. It feels like a nice fall drink.

O: I always want to like pumpkin ales, but I REALLY dislike this one. I actually find it unpleasant to drink. It has so much to recommend it in the other categories, but just flat out fails on flavor for me.

1.3/5  rDev -65.1%

Ill be honest, im one to judge books by their covers, and I always hated the artwork on every smuttynose bottle I've ever seen including this one but I decided to try since I've been surprised before.

It looks as you'd expect a pumpkin ale to appear, golden amber in color with nice lacing. It smells very floral and earthy which I found pleasant. It was the taste I thought was lacking. It tastes slightly like pumpkins initially and remains that way the whole way through. There is a slight hop bitterness after swallowing but this bitterness builds with each sip which I find unpleasant. after all is said and done my mouth tastes of spices which I didn't taste while actually drinking the beer, sorry but don't make mine a smutty

3.03/5  rDev -18.8%

The pour reveals a soft tarnished bronze and good bubbling. The head is about two fingers width after the pour, and a nice foam throughout.

Very light pumpkin meat mixed with muffins and a little baked sugar. Very malty and just a little sweet smell.

Bitter upfront with some soft muffins and even softer pumkin flavors. The beer finishes gypsum, mineral bitter and quick. The carbonation is good nd the beer feels smooth on my palate. Its just the taste I can't get past.

4.07/5  rDev +9.1%

Bottle into tulip glassware.

A: Light tan head, minimal lacing. Dark amber body, cloudy. I enjoy the look; I think it is a perfect pumpkin ale color.

S: Spices, nutmeg, malt, pumpkin. Having a little trouble picking up much else

T: Similar to smell. Spicy, hops, vanilla.

M: Nice carbonation, not dry.

O: This is a great beer. I love that it is an Ale first, pumpkin second.

For my own record: bought six pack at People Liq Warehouse, $8.99.

3.32/5  rDev -11%

IBU - Unknown
DATE – 20 SEP 2011
SERVING TYPE – 12 oz Bottle
GLASSWARE – Goblet
APPEARANCE – Orange… murky with Very little head good flow of bubbles coming up from the bottom of the glass
AROMA- Strong nutmeg and of course pumpkin.
TASTE –A little bitter in the after taste. Good stand alone pumpkin flavor, but no traces of the nutmeg that was in the aroma. Still Taste like beer, not over the top pumpkin.
MOUTHFEEL – Very carbonated but smooth. By looking at the beer one me assume it would be creamy or syrupy but it is very light.
CONCLUSION – The best pumpkin beer I have had, but it is ok. I would have like to seen more spice to it or sweetness.
-JH-

4.07/5  rDev +9.1%

I'm tackling a horizontal tasting of four pumpkin ales tonight. Second in the line up, Smuttynose.

This beer is the lightest of the quartet. Reminds me of Anchor Liberty Ale in color. It had the best head by far at first before it became a thin layer at the top. I smell cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and some pumpkin.

Following my first sip, the only adjective I can use to describe the taste is "complex." I'm not sure what I'm tasting here. I do taste a dry and hoppy (relatively speaking for a pumpkin ale) finish. Some nutmeg is starting to shine through now. And I can also get a squashy, authentic pumpkin taste.

I'd say this is the best and most complex of the quartet (which includes Samuel Adams', Brooklyn's, and Blue Point's pumpkin ales). The hoppy finish is my only detraction. With pumpkin ales, I only want enough hops to offset any sweetness.

3.38/5  rDev -9.4%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip glass

Appearance : this beer poured a cloudy orange color. A vigorous pour yeilds a fluffy off white head that has decent retention with minimal lacing.

Smell : this beer has mild pumpkin notes . Smells like your average pumpkin beer nothing overwhelming on the nose

Taste: the taste follows the nose. Its a good tasting beer, it is enjoyable just not alot to write about.

Mouthfeel :light bodied beer with good carbonation

Overall : this is an enjoyable brew but if I didn't known ahead of time it was a pumpkin ale I might not of picked up on it.

3.36/5  rDev -9.9%

Pours a hazy amber with one finger of offwhite foam, settles to a thin ring with a spray of lace a few inches down the glass. Smell: lots of pie spice, not a lot of pumpkin. Mildy toasted grains. Taste: a hit of pumpkin, mildy toasted grain and semi-sweet pale malt backdrop, quite a lot of nutmeg, quick touch of cinnamon. Hopping is more aggressive than most pumpkin beers, but that's neither good nor bad given the fleeting pumpkin flavor. Finish is drying and powdery with a lot of pie spice hanging around. A decent pumpkin beer but more spice than anything else. Best by Dec 2011 stamped on neck.

3.9/5  rDev +4.6%

Just picked up a Sixer of this beer at my favorite local deli. Decided its time to celebrate the first night of Octoberfest properly.

Appearance: Pours a nice clear, copper orange. About 3 inches of head on this one! Perfect Halloween coloring.

Smell: Sweet, spicy, and just plain tangy. Reminds me of pumpkin' pie. Hmmm

Taste: Has a tangy, pumpkin flavor to it at first. But as i dell deeper into this brew, the spices become a bit overwhelming and I must take a break. Also has a hint of vanilla bean.

Mouthfeel: Has a perfectly balanced medium body with an above-average carbonation. I do enjoy the pumpkin' flavor

Final Thoughts: This brew was one to remember. I know theres something im missing above, but for now I can't really put my finger on it. I would def. recommend this beer to anyone who is in a fall time festive mood. Will try again on a nice bonfire night. Now i must be on my way to watch my Philadelphia Phillies do work!

4.07/5  rDev +9.1%

Hazy orange color with a fairly thick off-white head on top that leaves decent lacing. Retention is ok. Pumpkin spice and cinnamon come to mind in the aroma, smells a lot like pumpkin pie actually. The nose is quite good, and probably the most pumkin-y smelling pumpkin beer I've had this year. Caramel malts float up as well.

Full flavor expedition here, with hops as a major feature. The hops add more than just a balancing bitterness in this pumpkin ale. They actually lend a little bit of a bite to an ale that I surely thought was going to be too sweet. This beer actually goes hops and caramel malts for a few seconds, followed by a wave of pumpkin, cinnamon, and even a hint of ginger that all create an extremely long finish full of seasonal goodness. A hit of biscuit is in there as well, balancing all the flavors. Here's a pumpkin ale that actually drinks like an ale, not a flavored malt beverage, and I appreciate that. Its not real heavy on those flavors, but its still very distinct from a normal ale, and very enjoyable. Its a tad bit too carbonated however, making the mouthfeel less creamy than I think it could stand to be. All in all, good beer and a fine example of a pumpkin ale.

3.42/5  rDev -8.3%

Purchased as a single from Wine and Beer Westpark in Glen Allen, VA - DFH snifter.

Pours a yellowy orange that isn't very pumpkiny looking with a bubbly head that dissapates. Smells of pumpkin but there is an acid there that was a little off putting. Taste follows and it's okay but just kind of sharp and not smooth like other pumpkins.

Overall this is just an okay pumpkin ale.

3.23/5  rDev -13.4%

I decided to mix a six this autumn of pumpkin beers and threw this in there. I've been on a sort of Smuttynose kick. The pumpkin flavor? Not too strong. Not strong at all in fact. Leaves much to be desired. The smell is decent and the appearance looks great. I'm anything but impressed though.

Has a cloudy, hazy pumpkin color with spicy clove smell with some definite vegetable smells, some nutmeg, some cinnamon and of course a pumpkin pie like smell in there as well. It has a strong perfume like smell to it pretty much.

Up front its smooth and malty with some caramel toffee malt notes mixing in with the sweet pumpkin taste which is subtle. On the back end of the taste its all about the spices and believe it or not hops. You think its going to be a sweet smooth beer and then it kicks in with the pumpkin, spice, clove, cinnamon, and vegetable flavors all mixing in with earthy bitter hops.

Its definitely the hoppiest pumpkin beer I've had which I love because I'm a huge fan of IPA's. So, obviously this one is now a definite favorite. Usually pumpkin beers are sweeter and this has a very earthy herbal taste mixing in with the strong spices you'd find in fall recipes or yeah pumpkin pie. Definitely recommended and is one of the best pumpkin beers you can get in my opinion.

Clear orange body with fluffy white head. Active carbonation from start to finish.

It smells of real pumpkin and isn't sweet smelling. Cinnamon and allspice are present.

I really like the taste of this one. As opposed to most pumpkin ales, it has a crisp and earthy hop bitterness to it that plays well with the spices. Of course, there's a good dose of pumpkin in there, too.

Mouthfeel is crisp and medium bodied. Slightly dry.

I really enjoyed this take on the style and I'll be making this a seasonal addition in the rotation.

3.63/5  rDev -2.7%

A-Poured into a pint glass. Pours a golden brown color with a very generous head that leave a nice lacing at the top of the glass. Thisnisna very nice looking brew, totally looks like fall.

S-Pumpkin seeds, nutmeg, and cinnamon come through with first sniff. Very spicy and a bit malty. Very nice scent all around.

T-A bit watery up front, vegetables like celery and cucumbers come to mind for me. Huge pump king spice comes in with a second sip. A nice tasting fall beer.

M-A tad chewy and easy drinking.

O-I really like this beer. I've been trying to find a pumpkin beer i can really get behind and think this is one of them. Really tasty and easy to drink. This will definitely be in my fridge again this fall.

4.17/5  rDev +11.8%

A - Nice orange/amber color, mild carbonation.

S - Wonderful aromas of pumpkin, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, cloves and the like.

T - A great taste of pumpkin and good spice, fairly sweet and a bit hoppy.

M - Medium to light bodied, smooth with slight bitter and pumpkin aftertaste.

This is one of my favorite pumpkin ales and overall fall brews in general. Many lesser pumpkin ales are too pale and mild, giving little to no spice. This goes goes down easy and provides a bit of kick - I like to think of it as a good solid middle of the road between a weak pumpkin ale and something as powerful as Pumking (love that one too but not something you can drink a lot of). I look forward to autumn to enjoy this brew.

3.25/5  rDev -12.9%

First had: on tap at TJ's, Paoli, PA

A decent pumpkin ale selection, but not nearly the best I've ever had. Poured into a pint glass, a slightly hazy burnt orange color with a moderately sized white head that receded quite a bit. The smell was very nice: pumpkin, allspice and nutmeg, nutty malts, and an underlying earthiness. Unfortunately the taste didn't quite deliver the goods. Cinnamon and spice with a slight pumpkin taste, followed by just too much hop bitterness and a bit of a metallic twinge. Pumpkin ales are a style that I think should not be subtle at all. If I'm in the mood for pumpkin pie on an autumn evening, that's what I want, and in good, obvious quantities. Medium body, and fairly drinkable, but not if there are other/better pumpkin ales available. DFH or Weyerbacher, for example.

3.33/5  rDev -10.7%

Huge fan of pumpkin beers so when this came in I had to pick one up.

A- Has a nice darkesh orange amber like color. Had a medium head of white foam. A mild amount of carbonation.

S- Pretty mellow of a flavor, mild pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg and a little hint of clove.

T- Its not as intense as I thought it would be. Has a good balance of spices as well as pumpkin which are all pretty mild. Cinnamon right up front leaves with your mouth with a little spicy finish.

M- Good drinkability, really smooth really crisp. Leaves your mouth with mild spices.

Overall- I enjoyed it just kinda wish there was more spices and pumpkin flavor. Cheers!

4.18/5  rDev +12.1%

A: Vibrant orange with a gold tinged, white head. Nice rings of lacing.

S: Fresh earthy hops, pumpkin, clove, pepper, cinnamon.

T: Has a great, natural pumpkin taste to it, like a fresh gourd, a quality I always search for, but never find. Has some serious hoppiness going on, another quality I love, but rarely found in pumpkins. Very earthy. The spices are rather subtle, and don't dominate the taste like a majority of lackluster pumpkin beers do. Smutty did everything right here.

M: Light to medium body, well carbonated, lively, but smooth.

O/D: This is a really good beer from a bottle, but amazing on tap. A must try.

4.37/5  rDev +17.2%

Pours a rich golden/copper on a pint glass, with a 2 inch creamy head, which turns into a nice 1/2 inch lacing that lasts till the end.
Rich pumpkin pie on the nose, with cinnamon and nutmeg, very sweet and very delicious.
Almost the same on the tongue, but not so sweet, with some hops to finish. Hints of cinnamon and nutmeg again.
A very nice Pumpkin Ale, very drinkable.
Highly recommended.

This beer is a nice orange color and develops a tan head that's big and frothy but tight. Retention and lacing are both good. This is a good-looking beer.
The aroma is pumpkin, like pure fleshy pulp, and a bit of earth with light spicing under a support of malt.
The taste is definitely pumpkin without much of the spicing used in other pumpkin beers. Earthiness really comes out and there's a bit of a hops presence as well, though light.
This is a medium-bodied beer with some smoothness and a crisp nip to it.
This is a very nice one, and very raw and natural. One of the better pumpkins out there.

3.45/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured a cloudy amber hue, appeared thick like an unfiltered wheat, with a creamy head

Nutmeg and spice hit the nose upfront with slight pumpkin under tones, not as much pumpkin as anticipated

Again, strong nutmeg and spice flavor with slight pumpkin after taste. The hops make a welcomed presence to balance the taste

Mouthfeel is a bit sticky and chewy, and leaves a thin pumpkin aftertaste

Overall a decent selection for the occasion, but I'll be leaving the rest of the six pack in the fridge to return to one at a time

Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale from Smuttynose Brewing Company