Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale | Smuttynose Brewing Company

New Hampshire, United States
smuttynose.com

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Availability: Fall

Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale is our homage to the craft and heritage of America’s brewers. Recipes calling for the use of pumpkins in beer date back to early colonial times, when brewers sought to extend their supply of costly imported malt with locally grown ingredients, such as squash and “pompions.”

In that spirit, we brew our ale with the addition of pumpkin to the mash, along with traditional spices to create a delicious American original.

Added by purplehops on 08-28-2003

Ratings: 1,911 |  Reviews: 854
4.24/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A - Pours a very hazy, Halloween-amber orange. A small foam head that dissipates rather quickly.

S - Great smell of pumpkin emanating from the beer, also some bits of spices--cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg. A bit of floral and citrus hops permeates through the end. Very sweet and delicious smelling beer, like a fresh pumpkin pie.

T - Tons of balance present here. The pumpkin is definitely the primary taste, but even then, it's subtle. It has that unique bitterness that you get from actually pureed pumpkin. The spices come together not so much to sweeten the beer, but to actually spice it up. And then, a bit of floral hops in the back end provide a great hop finish.

M - Very drinkable, has a certain smoothness to it. Dries the throat just a little bit.

Overall - This is better than I even remember it being. Perhaps it's because I have a full year for actually beer advocacy under my belt, but this has so many great flavors and smells that come together. It's a complex--but solid pumpkin ale. Definitely will be drinking this all fall.

3.86/5  rDev +4.9%

Look: Four finger white shaving cream head, great retention, fall orange (about a 13 SRM), very nice lacing, small slow carb.

Smell: Heavy clove, heavy nutmeg, strong cinnamon, light squash.

Taste: Sronger cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, good constant squash flavor, creeping boozy, spicy, medium body, light carb. Semi-dry.

Final Thoughts: It's good. Not my top pick, but its good.

4.27/5  rDev +16%

Fresh 2011 vintage Smutty....always one of my favorite pumpkins, and I usually get several 6 pks of this in a season....12 oz bottle into pint glass.

Nice coppery color, clear and nice albeit smallish head and minimal lacing...looks as good as I remember!

Smell is pretty tasty...lots of spice, and hops; main reason I probably like this one so much is it tastes like an APA with pumpkin spice, a great combo if done right....they do it right!

Taste is good for me; nice pumpkin spices, good carbonation, not overbearing or too sweet...

Mouthfeel is right on, not too harsh or too sweet, good balanced brew with easy drinkability.

Overall, I like this one as I always do; goes down easy, even if we are not officially in the autumn season as yet...contract brewed by Saranac / Matt, for Smuttynose, quite delicious and a nice example of a good Pumpkin Ale. A winner, and well recommended!

3.7/5  rDev +0.5%

A: cloudy burnt orange body, finger head, sticky lacing

S: pumpkin, nutmeg, clove, cinnamon, malt

T: spices, pumpkin, malt, bitter semi-dry finish

M: med body, smooth mouth

O: Let me 1st say, I really like Smuttynose and
also enjoy pumpkin beers, but this beer is
just a tad too bitter in the finish
for my typical Pumpkin loving palate.
It almost is like Pumpkin ale meets pale ale.
Still nice beer, just not great. Could be a perfect
pumpkin gateway offering for an IPA lover.

GOOD, NOT A MUST HAVE!

3.45/5  rDev -6.3%

Not impressed by this. 2011 batch, just recently released.

very nice deep copper/translucent amber color with small, cream-colored head. very little lacing.

the aroma was the best part of this beer. nice autumn spice, mostly nutmeg and cinnamon, slight pumpkin earthiness, and some piney hops.

the taste disappointed me. it was very thin on the malt and mild on the pumpkin. good amount of spice, decent hop bitterness and pine-essence, but not nearly enough of a malt profile for this style.

mouthfeel is watery, and that causes the flavor to be perceived as watery too. very thin, fairly crisp hop finish, prickly, soda-like carbonation—I wanted creamy texture, not spicy hop-soda.

Overall a pretty big let down, as I bought this on the reputation it's BA rating alone. I'm not sure what people saw in this one.

3.26/5  rDev -11.4%

2011 vintage. 12oz bottle poured into a snifter. The color is typical for a pumpkin ale, but the head and lacing are really impressive and doesn't disappear. The aromas are nice, nothing off the charts. The spices are more noticeable in the aromas. This is a bitter pumpkin ale, it's definitely not on the sweeter side. Hops are noticeable. Mouthfeel isn't bad, not heavy and not light, right in the middle; slightly prickly/fizzy. I really didn't pick up on any "crust/breadiness", which I really look for in a pumpkin ale. The flavors just didn't set right w/ me, I don't know what happened.

This is a fine pumpkin ale, but not one of my favorites and I wasn't really blown away by any means. Unfortunately, average is a good way to describe it.. and I'm a big fan of pumpkin ales. I know it's not even mid-August yet, so maybe it'll taste better in October ;)

4.38/5  rDev +19%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Sam Adams pilsner glass, about 35 degrees fahrenheit.

Pours a dark copper-orange with a creme colored, 1.5 finger head. Dissipates early, turning into a rim of tiny bubbles around the edge.

Nose projects well good amounts of pumpkin with a slight nutty/spicyness. Nutmeg/clove/allspice secondary combination maybe.

For my palate, the perfect amount of effervescence. Lively, but never looking to take attention from the density and richness found in the flavor.

Pumpkin is there in full in the mouth, turning slightly bitter before drying down into clove and especially nutmeg tones. Rich and dense, with a layering of big, simple flavors. Autumn in a glass.

The crux of this beer for me is found in the way it is able to be simultaneously lush and opulent in flavor while remaining "down to earth" The balance of the entire thing, especially between the nose and the mouth is impressive. I didn't have high hopes for this guy, bought it on a whim.. and find myself pleasantly surprised. Drinking this in August makes me wish to fast-forward six weeks, and that's more than I've seen in a seasonal beer in a long time.

93.

3.78/5  rDev +2.7%

Smutty Pumpkin has a brownish-orange body and a solid cap of off-white head. Both retention and lacing are pretty solid.

Lots of spice in here, with nutmeg and cinnamon jumping out. The malt backbone is pretty substantial also.

This one has loads of spice, and normally I would think that it was too much, but it works. It seems to have a little bit more of a pumpkin flavor than many over spiced varieties. A good bit of nutmeg, and an unusually large amount of cinnamon. I think that is probably another reason why this one didn't turn me off too much; I'm a big cinnamon fan. The malt backbone also holds it's only, with a dry, toasted flavor throughout, and a blast of sweetness in the finish.

Medium bodied with pretty smooth carbonation.

It took me a while to get around to trying this one because I can only handle a couple of pumpkin beers, but this might be one of the ones to reach for when I need my fix next season.

3.53/5  rDev -4.1%

My first bottle out of the 6 pack was a little disappointing. I can only assume that this was because it came across a little more "hoppy" than other pumpkin beers. With this in mind I was incredibly hesitant about trying another one for a week or so. This also was because I had 2 other pumpkin brews in the fridge at the time so I was busy with those. The second bottle I tried was much more appealing for some reason, maybe the time it sat or I just grew to enjoy it more.
This Pumpkin ale does have a slight hop bitter taste to it and is almost crisp on the palette. Its defiantly not the best Pumpkin I have ever had but I'd buy it again.

2.8/5  rDev -23.9%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into dimpled mug. Disappointing beer from one of my favorite breweries. A gorgeous burnt orange with absolutely no head, fresh out of the oven heavy spice aromas waft up from the brew. Clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, a slight vegetal/pumpkin essence. In the mouth the spices fade considerably - unfortunately - leaving a heavy malt presence and a flat, boring pumpkin taste that is only piqued with the occasional splash of lemon that comes through. High carbonation but watery; crisp but not pleasing on the tongue. If only it tasted as good as it looks and smells.

4.15/5  rDev +12.8%

Appearance: Hazy copper/orange hue with slight carbonation; off white head dissipates quickly leaving slight lacing

Smell: Sweet pumpkin pie aroma; hints of cinnamon & nutmeg add a nice balance; not overpowering at all

Taste: Much like the nose: a nice of balance of pumpkin & spices, but not overpowering at all; hints of sweet caramel malts; slight alcohol aftertaste

Mouthfeel: Medium body; good carbonation; nice chewiness to it, but finishes crisp

Drinkability: Goes down nice & smooth; very good smell & taste; excellent example of a pumpkin ale; would definitely have again

Overall, Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale is an excellent pumpkin ale. The aroma is inviting and the taste backs it up without being over the top. It's a nice balance of pumpkin & spices that is exactly what a pumpkin ale should be. I would highly recommend this to all; you will not be disappointed.

4.35/5  rDev +18.2%

Bottle to pint glass. Enjoyed throughout October and November, reviewed 11/22. "Best Before Jan 2011."

A: A relatively small off-white foamy head is long lasting and is propped up by the murky golden-orange body. The head deposits some serious chunks of foamy lace and the body continues to provide evidence of each sip. This excellent display of lacing solidifies a high appearance rating. A larger head would have secured a perfect score.

S: The nose provides the perfect blend of pumpkin and spice. Well-rounded notes of cinnamon and nutmeg are fairly restrained letting a brown sugar component to come through. Light aromas of butter and toffee play supporting roles.

T: This is the best pumpkin beer that I have tasted this season. Where most pumpkin beers are either too spicy, too sweet, too pumpkin-y or not pumpkin-y enough, Smuttynose has managed to find the right balance. All natural, unsweetened pumpkin meat and puree flavor carry evenly throughout the palate. A bitterness on the finish does, however, bring the flavor to a quicker finish than expected. But just slightly.

M: A medium-light body that is pleasantly carbonated and perhaps a touch thin at times. In any case, these qualities, combined with the exceptional balance of flavors, make for a brew that goes down quickly.

D: Very good drinkability. Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale is one of the few pumpkin beers that can be consumed one after another.

3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

A deep amber color with a solid off white head and very nice lacing found at 10 Center Street in Neburyport, MA. The aroma is of notable vanilla allspice with a hint of malt. The flavor is pumpkin yeast in a medium bodied brew with a crisp bright feel. Very drinkable and tasty. There is a slight citrus hop notable that blends into a bit of malt.

4.07/5  rDev +10.6%

Bought a single bottle at Table & Vine in Springfield, MA. Poured into a pint glass. Pours reddish orange. Capped by one and a half fingers of off-white head. Pretty decent retention and good lacing. Medium amount of carbonation activity in the glass.

Big, spicy nose. Plenty of nutmeg and cinnamon. Maltiness is prevalent as well.

This ale provides a lot of flavor. The nutmeg seems to overpower everything else, as I have noticed in every other pumpkin ale I've had, but to a lesser extent. I can also taste cinnamon and ginger. There's a nice malty backbone. Hops are there to add a little bitterness, but I have to search for them.

Medium to full bodied. Good carbonation. Smooth and a little dry.

This is a really good pumpkin ale. There is a great beer base to really highlight the spices. I could easily drink a couple before the spices overpowered the palate. Good job Smuttynose.

3.68/5  rDev 0%

From 11/20/10 notes. Had a few friends in town and one brought over a 6er of this. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

a - Pours a hazy orange color with two inches of white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of cinnamon, spices, nutmeg, and pumpkin. Spices come out a lot in the nose.

t - Tastes of pumpkin, spices, cinnamon, and bready malts. Not as much spice as the nose.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation.

d - A decent pumpkin ale; not my favorite, but still pretty enjoyable. I enjoyed the taste more than the smell as I thought the nose had mroe spices and the taste had more pumpkin. Very easy to drink and would certainly try it again.

2.73/5  rDev -25.8%

A- Hazy pale orange topped with a fluffy off white head. Head falls slowly and leaves some nice lace on the glass.

S- Pumpkin, all spice, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Nice balance in the nose but somewhat subdued..

T- Bitter upfront, not what I was expecting at all, pumpkin and hops mix together in not that pleasant of a flavor. Some subtle spice mostly nutmeg, all spice, and cinnamon follow, flavors mellows out here and becomes more pleasant. Finish is dry and medicinal again back to a weird spice and hop mix.

M- Medium in body and decent carbonation, finish is clean and dry.

D- I don't think I can get down more than one of these, the ABV at 6.0% is not the problem it's the weird taste.

Normally I love a well done pumpkin beer but there is something in this one that I don't care for. The spices are very subtle, not overdone, but there is a weird mix of pumpkin and hops that misses the mark with me.

4.07/5  rDev +10.6%

Pour a light orange/amber with a small off-white head. Little to no lacing or retention. Spicy aroma. Cinnamon, all spice, nutmeg and a bit of pumpkin. Taste follows the spicy aroma. A lot of cinnamon to start, then some all spice and nutmeg flavor. Hops show up at the end and a hint of sweet pumpkin flavor lingers as well. Above Average carbonation and tongue tingling moutfeel. Good drinkability for a pumpkin ale.

3.99/5  rDev +8.4%

Appearance - Amber-gold. Quite cloudy. Tall off white head with good retention.

Smell - Mild pumpkin pie aroma. Smells pretty authentic and thankfully isn't overpowering.

Taste - Pumpkin character is pretty restrained. Spice is there, but again not overpowering. The beer is light, but clearly present - not an afterthought. Nice caramel malt start and an unexpectedly prominent grassy hops finish.

Mouthfeel - Pretty light - lighter than I expected.

Drinkability - Not my favorite pumpkin beer of the season, but a solid contender in the unnecessarily crowded field. More prominent hops distinguishes this beer from its classmates.

4.08/5  rDev +10.9%

Pumpkin Ale looks is pumpkin color. How's that for shocking? It's a little hazy, and looks copper with backlighting. A generous vanilla colored head covers it. It stands over two fingers tall, and is rather slow to recede. Lacing was thick and quite sticky. Good lookin' stuff.

The nose is pretty good, but needs more strength. It features a nice mix of pumpkin and pumpkin spices. Nutmeg, cinnamon, and ginger. It is indeed quite pumpkin pie-ish. There is a bit of a hoppy side to it. I'm excited about that. It's an unexpected, but welcome surprise. If you ask me, it's noble hops all the way. There is a bit of caramel malt sweetness throughout. Alcohol is masked completely.

The flavor is nothing short of excellent. This is easily one of the top Pumpkin Ales I've ever tried. It has a nice caramel malt base that's a little on the sweet side. It works perfectly with the pumpkin/pumpkin spices flavors. Cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger are present in near-perfect proportions. Hops are clearly the x-factor in my book. They do taste like noble hops to me. The definitely add a lively kick to the overall flavor. Alcohol is buried. Finishes like hoppy pumpkin pie!

Pumpkin Ale has a light body that leans a little medium. Carbonation is active, but doesn't feel buzzy at all. Drinkability is quite high for a Pumpkin Ale. It's tasty, goes down super easy, and isn't intimidating in any way. I could handle a few bottles of this on a nice fall evening.

I really am surprised at how good Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale is. It really is one of the best Pumpkin Ales I've had to date. I appreciate the hop presence and its strong impact on the flavor. The nose could use a little more strength, but that's my only real complaint. Very impressive stuff. Check it out if you haven't.

4.35/5  rDev +18.2%

This is just a fantastic fall ale, perfect for a cool evening happy hour.

The smell is what you'd expect, PUMPKIN. But not that artificial pumpkin you find in other beers. This is legit, with a pumpkin mash being brewed right into the ale.

It tastes delicious, pumpkiny and ale working in perfect harmony.

And the best part, it's not overly heavy so you can have 2-3 of them and not feel totally stuffed.

A BIG thumbs up.

3.35/5  rDev -9%

Poured into a regular pint glass.

A - Poured clear brown color with medium head that slowly dissipated leaving moderate amount of lacing around the glass.

S - Strong pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg and other spices.

T - Pumpkin and cinnamon to start followed by nutmeg and other spices with a slightly bitter hoppy finish.

M - Medium bodied with medium carbonation.

D - Not bad for pumpkin ale but don't go out of your way to try it.

3.91/5  rDev +6.3%

This was one of my favorites of the season last year.

Pours a glowing, hazy orange with a nice-looking creamy off-white head. Retains easily at a half-finger leaving some lacing. Some sediment floats in a standstill. Looks like a good IPA, very nice.

Smell seems to pop out of the bottle upon opening, but once it's in the glass it seems faded. Faint pumpkin, spices and malt with odd funky/sweaty aromas.

Tastes like fall to me. Roasted pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, light fruit and earth with a light caramel/bready malt. Toasty, crisp and refreshing which is exactly what I like in a pumpkin ale. The seemingly strong hop addition is very welcome. Grassy notes start to appear towards the end as well.

Carbonation is a bit high, a little stinging, but the mouthfeel otherwise is solid and creamy.

The biggest bother here for me is just the high carbonation, but this is a good pumpkin ale with nice flavors going on, an emphasis on authenticity and toastiness which I definitely look for in the style. A great beer to buy a 6-pack of each fall, especially at the price.

2.87/5  rDev -22%

A - It pours an orange-gold hue, ultra-translucent, sans head or lace.

S - There is a well-apportioned pumpkin in the nose, complemented by a mineral-y pale malt and floral-jasmine hop notes.

T - The taste falls short of the mark set by the aroma. The flavor elements of this brew, from the gourd to the spicing to the malt, are too subdued for the style. There is also an unhelpful dryness and an out-of-place grassy finish. As the glass empties, these flaws become more dissatisfying.

M - Too thin.

D - Nahhh, get a different Pumpkin beer.

3.72/5  rDev +1.1%

Served from tap into a shaker. Poured a hazy copper with a one finger pure white head. Maintains nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma is comprised of sweet malt, clove, and graham cracker. The flavor was of sweet malt, pumpkin, and a big clove followthrough. It had a light feel on the palate with low carbonation. Overall this one was pretty heavy on the clove aspect. Despite this fact, it still have a pretty nice flavor to it. I just wish some of the graham cracker would have showed up in the flavor to balance the clove. Still a pretty nice seasonal nonetheless.

3.55/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a pretty orange amber color with a thick white head and some good spiderwebs of lacing. Smells like pumpkin pie with nutmeg and cinnamon notes wafting into the air. Tastes of pumpkin pie blended with good malts and. Medium body, clean, and a little carbonation. Drinkability is really good. A nice pumpkin ale when I usually do not enjoy them.

Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale from Smuttynose Brewing Company