East Coast Common Lager | Smuttynose Brewing Company

New Hampshire, United States
smuttynose.com

Style: California Common / Steam Beer

Availability: Spring

East Coast Common is a nod to those uniquely American lager beers – fermented warm, in the San Franciscan-style. One sniff of the heady aroma tells you this isn’t a utilitarian, washing machine-variety beer. Our brewers infuse significant quantities of late-in-the-boil and post-fermentation dry hops to make sure you know East Coast Common is a New England original.

We originally brewed East Coast Common at Smuttlabs with our friends and neighbors Stoneface Brewing Company and Great Rhythm Brewing Company, to commemorate 2015’s Portsmouth Beer Week. We’re pleased to bring it back as our new Spring seasonal for a wider, hop-hungry audience.

Added by NHbeerguy on 02-19-2015

4.04/5  rDev -1%

4.14/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.2/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.04/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

3.9/5  rDev -4.4%

2.9/5  rDev -28.9%

3.49/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.9/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

6/19/17...pours medium dark straw color, fluffy, 1/8th inch of white foam that settles down. Soft citrus nose, juicy fruit aroma. Subtle bitter. Soft lemon citrus taste. Chewy malt. Straws. bitter hangs out at the close. Tasty,.

4.46/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This one has a unique taste for a lager beer. I am trying to remember a better tasting lager in my experience. It has a hoppy flavor with a slight sour touch in the aftertaste. This is really nice. The price was not TOO crazy, so I will get this again in the near future.

4.33/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2.96/5  rDev -27.5%

A little too citrus-hop forward for me but I can totally get why this is well liked. Finishes better than it starts.

4.09/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.89/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Smuttynose Brewing Co. "East Coast Common"
12 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, "BEST BY 08/09/17" and sampled on 05/28/17
$2 @ Weis Market #231, Conshohocken, PA

Notes via stream of conscious: Nice label. I wonder what an East coast common is? I'm assuming it's like a California common. Interesting character on the label but I have no idea who he is or what he's doing. Anyway, it pours a hazy golden orange body beneath a pillowy head of white that settles into a creamy cap.I poured it before I started writing and it's still got a full surface covering, and there seems to be nice lacing from where the head has dropped. Perhaps it's fairly well carbonated which is bolstering the head? No, I can see tiny bubbles rising steadily but it doesn't seem effervescent. OK, aroma... citrusy hops over a biscuity malt base. Well that seems pretty West coast to me, but OK, it's bright and fresh and welcoming and I'll take that any day. Wow! The flavor is great. It's really got that steam beer yeast character. I generally think of it as kind of aggressive, and this is, but it's not so much so as some of the other versions I've had, and in particular, the best known example. I notice that the lacing is continuing, which is great. The flavor is not only citrusy, but there are some other tropical fruits in play, and a bit of pine as well. It's solidly bitter, which is good because it's got to fight a fairly solid malt base. In the end it finishes bitter and dry with some residual citrusy, tropical, herbal, and piney malts wrapped in a bit of sweetish malt that takes a while to fade away. I think it could be drier, but damn do I like it as it is, so I wouldn't change a thing. Why be like everyone else anyway, right? Let's see, what did I miss... medium bodied with a dextrinous feel, and gently crisp with a moderately effervescent, seemingly natural carbonation. Very nicely done. Impressive. I wish I'd know how good this was, I'd have bought more.

3.69/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.4/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Serving: Bottle
Bottled: Feb-9-2017 (Consumed May-15)

Pours a faintly hazy, glowing golden orange with a luscious long-lasting head. Sheets of lacing. Very nice. The aroma and flavor follow one another fairly closely. Citrus-tinged, spicy hops mixed with crusty toasted bread. Everything blends very well and it is just like it should be. It is medium-minus body-wise with bright carbonation and a clean, crisp finish. Super drinkable, enjoyable and well made. This beer is exactly what it is meant to be (and I swear that is more profound and more of a compliment than it seems).

3.6/5  rDev -11.8%

4.27/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle into a pint glass. best by 8/9/17, so I'm guessing bottled about 3 months ago.

nice bright golden amber body. thick creamy off white head leaving thick lacing.

nice aroma of non-citrus fruit.

Hey, this is good. tasty, slightly fruity flavor, faintly bitter as well, good tingly bite to it.

right around medium on the mouth, a little bite in the finish.

overall, a tasty, extremely drinkable, maybe even slammable beer. It's been a while since I had this particular style, but this is one I'll seek out again. Nicely done, Smuttynose.

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

East Coast Common Lager from Smuttynose Brewing Company